18 Feb 2007: Ajax - Excelsior

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » zo feb 18, 2007 4:31 pm

What a reality check. Us, champions? Bullshit. We were DESPERATE against Excelsior! How sad is that! The only decent Ajax player was Stam. I now should really criticize HTC's player selection:

-Heitinga is either a full back, or no one but not CENTRAL D.
-Leonardo is good for the last 15 minutes not full 90.
-Why is Gabri never substituted in poor games?

The whole concept of wingers has died out as Huntelaar barely got decent balls from our so called wingers. There was no creativity whatsoever even with Sneijder having much a free role. The defence didn't even TRY to clear the balls in what led to the 2 goals. This in my opinion is the worst performance of the season. We're back in the title race (or was) and yet play piss poor against a bottom side?

I already saw from the first 10 minutes that Ajax was in a "who gives a shit" mood. Well we do Ajax, so open your damn eyes.
Get a Cock

dws

Bericht door dws » zo feb 18, 2007 4:35 pm

Van basten schreef:AZ will crash us next weekend..
Given our problems in defence it would be difficult to come to any other conclusion.

It's about time ten Cate realised Leonardo aint bringing much to the table. Play Perez from the fucking start you idiot.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo feb 18, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks Bluedaddy for the goals. Our goals looked good but as for our defending it looked schoolboy.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo feb 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Ayman schreef:SE6 Ajacied said:
I had a feeling that our European hangover would be hurting. Let's just hope we're in better shape next week or AZ will murder us (and please can I have a good game and a win on Thursday to watch, even if we don't go through )

Does that mean you will be in the hems next thursday?
No I'll be in the Arean watching a pretty meaningless but hopefully enjoyable match. I don't think De Hems are showing the games any more - new management???
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo feb 18, 2007 4:53 pm

Goodbye championship. Today we really said goodbye to it. We didn't deserve to win. Very tragic.... :sad:

ajaxillinois

Bericht door ajaxillinois » zo feb 18, 2007 5:38 pm

I think it's time for Ten Cate to go...

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » zo feb 18, 2007 5:41 pm

Yea, let's fire another manager. That's probably the solution.

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » zo feb 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Thomas schreef:Yea, let's fire another manager. That's probably the solution.
:xyxthumbs:
I think I lost my fucking headache

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » zo feb 18, 2007 6:30 pm

it's huge step back in title race. probably crucial, if you ask me. another season of fucking disappointments.. i really wouldn't surprise if werder would one more time humiliate us on thursday

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » zo feb 18, 2007 6:36 pm

I seriously believed we would win with 7-0 or something. I thought our players would take the chance to close the gap in goaldifference with PSV, and fight until the last minute, considering it might play a role in the titelrace.. :sad:
I think I lost my fucking headache

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » zo feb 18, 2007 7:20 pm

One of the worst Ajax preformances I've ever seen, here are my incoherent random thoughts...

Johnny Heitinga - You could actually see his morale collapsing before your eyes. Very sad. By the end of the first half he seemed to almost completely incapable of making a decision. I like Johnny both as a person and a player, but it's going to be a long time before he gets over this.

Stekelenberg - Jesus I dunno, a lame, ineffectual flapper. Out of position for both goals, made only token efforts to get to the shots. Reminded me of Steven Harmison - that's what a big girl's blouse he is.

Olaf Lindenburg - what in God's name persuaded Ajax that he would ever be good enough?

Vurnon Anita - I've got a feeling he is going to be my favourite Ajax player about two years from now.

Jaap Stam - Thank f*ck for Jaapie, where would our defence be this year without him?

Gabri - My player of the season, had a solid game, worked his ass off as usual.

Edgar Davids - did just ok - he hasn't yet influenced games or commanded the midfield as I had expected him to.

Tom De Mul - had a fine first half, but fell away a bit in the second. Still Ajax's most improved player this season.

KJH - he not there yet, but scored a good goal, and showed signs of improvement. Doesn't run as much off the ball as he used to, which is a sign of a player still lacking in self-confidence.

Leonardo - pretty but innefective.

I had to got to ajax.nl to look up who the 11th player was. Of course it's Benjamin Wesley Sneijder, I'd forgotten. Can't remember anything he did. If you can't dominate an Excelsior midfield, I don't hold out much hope in Serie A.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » zo feb 18, 2007 9:06 pm

Stekelenberg - Jesus I dunno, a lame, ineffectual flapper. Out of position for both goals, made only token efforts to get to the shots. Reminded me of Steven Harmison - that's what a big girl's blouse he is.
Hopefully the goalkeeping coach will sort him out.

Oh... right. <shudders>

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 19, 2007 7:15 am

The Purple Cow schreef:here are my incoherent random thoughts...
... and I totally agree with them. Very good breakdown.

Oh fuck - what happened here?

K.
Still alive...

Azeri
Contacteer:

Bericht door Azeri » ma feb 19, 2007 9:56 am

F*** idiots :mad:
AZ lost 2 points - it was the very moment to make the situation more comfortable.
Now Twente came close to the third place... I can only imagine how they will play against us.
Oh God...

Johan Cruijff to Presidents! :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma feb 19, 2007 10:37 am

Here goes for some Monday morning thoughts on yesterday's game.

I really cannot work out what the heck went wrong, especially in the second half where we were just too predictable. Excelsior were absolutely one of the porest outfits that I have seen at the ArenA and we just failed in every way - what a big dissapointment.

Following on from PC my thoughts per player:-

Steks .............. just doesn't command his area and doesn't inspire confidence in his fellow defenders. Recommendation:- Drop and then sell as the guy will never make it.

Urby................. doesnt do it for me as a full back, especially right back. Recommendation:- move to midfield or even better, move up front instead of Leo.

Stam - absolutely immense - was brilliant again yesterday, leading by example. Recommendation:- Clone him

Heitinga.............. He was just starting to get some confidence and now this game has moved him back to the beginning again. Recommendation:- Want him to be part of a great Ajax team, but feel that he just won't make it at central defence or full back and as such sell.

Olaf................. Utter crap. Recommendation:- Start a collection to pay for him to go.

Gabri.......... Another good game, but just cannot score. A Galasek he will never be (boy do we miss an on-song Galasek) but still a very good player. Recommendation:- Keep, but work on shooting practice.

Sneijder............... Brilliant player but cannot do it all by himself - sometimes too greedy but then again would you pass to some of the crap around him. Recommendation:- Everybody should write to him pleading for him to stay.

Davids............. Reasonable player but needs players around him on the same wavelength. Recommendation:- Keep and get him to explain the simple concepts of football to his team-mates. Principles like pass and move and not pass and stop and admire what the other person might do with the ball.

De Mul................ Improving all of the time. Recommendation:- get him to talk to his fellow forwards during training to try and get them to move into good positions to receive his crosses instead of playing statutes.

KJH..................... Is a great goalscorer and an average footballer. Recommendation:- Lets use his strengths and not try and turn him into something he isn't.

Leo.................... Reminds me of Ikedia - looks good but sweat FA comes of anything. Recommendation:- Sell

Ryan 4 Touch Babel................. Must rename him as he now seems to get the ball under control only using 3 touches. Recommendation:- Keep and work on his ball control - if he gets this right he will be a really fantastic player.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 19, 2007 10:44 am

Over Pasanens Head schreef:Urby................. doesnt do it for me as a full back, especially right back. Recommendation:- move to midfield or even better, move up front instead of Leo.
Another good breakdown, but Urby is injured and did not play yesterday. I think you mean young Vurnon Anita, who played at right back...

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma feb 19, 2007 11:21 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef:Urby................. doesnt do it for me as a full back, especially right back. Recommendation:- move to midfield or even better, move up front instead of Leo.
Another good breakdown, but Urby is injured and did not play yesterday. I think you mean young Vurnon Anita, who played at right back...

K.
Bloody strong beer that I had before the game Ko - let that be a lesson to all you young people out there - do not go down the road of the demon drink.

Seriously though I was trying to make a point about Urby more than anything, but completely forgot this morning that it was Anita at right back - I should have posted last night when I still had in my mind who the hell was playing. BTW, couldn't Davids, Anita and Urby help out an old boy who sits in the second tier by at least one of them changing their hairstyle.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma feb 19, 2007 1:07 pm

OPH
Urby and Anita are both young lads with similar hair but you are having problems if you cannot recognise Davids!!! He's the old one with glasses!!!

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma feb 19, 2007 1:20 pm

SPL schreef:OPH
Urby and Anita are both young lads with similar hair but you are having problems if you cannot recognise Davids!!! He's the old one with glasses!!!
From the 2nd tier I cannot always see their faces that clearly - the only way I have been able to tell Urby and Davids apart is that there is no other Ajax player within a mile of Urby offering him support in his defensive role.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 23, 2007 11:08 am

Although it was a great day for me with my brand new vak 129 season cards, it turned out ot be a terrible game. How Ajax could not win given the huge difference in potential between the two sides, I could not say. Defense blunder of course, but that does not explain everything. We had very little impact on the wings. Why Ten Cate does not play Mitea, and why Perez came in only at the very end is a mystery. Huntelaar could hardly be seen, same with Sneijder. But Stam is now our real team leader, and that should be very important in the future.
Now we have to beat AZ. Simple as that. Otherwise, play-offs ...
Appie, stay strong !

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr feb 23, 2007 12:13 pm

philippe schreef: Why Ten Cate does not play Mitea, and why Perez came in only at the very end is a mystery.
Coming from you, I find it very funny... :xyxthumbs:
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 27, 2007 9:21 am

For those who did not notice yet: the Excelsior match report is now (finally) up on Ajax USA. It was written by our very good friend Gordon Paterson a.k.a. jamcocteau. Thanks a million, mate.

http://www.ajax-usa.com/matches/m06-07/ ... lsior.html

As you will have noticed: we're not totally up-to-date at the moment... The match reports of the two Werder Bremen games have not been written yet, for example. I won't bore you with the reason for this, but rest assured: we will publish those reports (if only for the Ajax USA archives) and all will be okay. The Willem II match report (Wednesday) will be published immediately after the game.

K.
Still alive...

Plaats reactie