16 Feb 2005: Ajax - AJ Auxerre

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

16 Feb 2005: Ajax - AJ Auxerre

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 08, 2005 1:04 pm

I guess it's time to start thinking (worrying...) about this one.

On a positive note: Auxerre are in a sort of crisis also. They can't win and have dropped to the 5th slot in the French league. We'll see what happens.

But first: NAC!

K.
Still alive...

Eric

Bericht door Eric » di feb 08, 2005 1:18 pm

After bagging 'Harry' Koeman was confident enough to speak out the ambition of competing for 3 prizes. Needless to say that I expect a fiercely attacking, hungry team that will overrun the French.

Nah...
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 08, 2005 1:22 pm

Eric schreef:After bagging 'Harry' Koeman was confident enough to speak out the ambition of competing for 3 prizes.
Yeah - and Charisteas isn't even eligible for the UEFA Cup.

K.
Still alive...

Eric

Bericht door Eric » di feb 08, 2005 1:31 pm

Yeah, I know. And when I heard Koeman ranting on about the ambitions for the second half of the season, I got this sinking feeling that Koeman actually didn't realise himself that our Greek wasn't eligible for the European tournament (cause what else could explain this sudden boost of confidence)
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 08, 2005 1:48 pm

Things will remain quiet for now (even if we lose to NAC this weekend). But if the Auxerre home game goes badly wrong, he'll be f#cked.

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di feb 08, 2005 1:52 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Things will remain quiet for now (even if we lose to NAC this weekend). But if the Auxerre home game goes badly wrong, he'll be f#cked.

K.
Remember that Auxerre have a really good offensive line with guys like Benjani, Pieroni, Kalou (good old Bonaventure...). We're sure going to suffer. But this game will be nice demonstration with both teams playing Ajax-style. Looking forward to it. Really.

Eric

Bericht door Eric » di feb 08, 2005 1:53 pm

The frustrating thing is that I read some time ago that Koeman would have resigned if we would have lost against WillemII last year... Inspired on the nine lives of a cat, Koeman must have at least the same amount. He always makes a narrow escape. I doubt however that Van Eijden will sack his partner in crime, especially after their tag-team effort in eliminating Van Gaal.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di feb 08, 2005 3:58 pm

Carcajou schreef:Remember that Auxerre have a really good offensive line with guys like Benjani, Pieroni, Kalou (good old Bonaventure...). We're sure going to suffer. But this game will be nice demonstration with both teams playing Ajax-style. Looking forward to it. Really.
Just wish I could see it! Should we post a request for it to be recorded & uploaded on the Maxxed forum a bit closer to the 16th?

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » di feb 08, 2005 4:42 pm

Eric schreef:The frustrating thing is that I read some time ago that Koeman would have resigned if we would have lost against WillemII last year... Inspired on the nine lives of a cat, Koeman must have at least the same amount. He always makes a narrow escape.
Hmm, so what do we hope for? That the team does quite well the rest of the season and continues with Koeman next season, or that everything goes terribly wrong (I guess this is the most likely scenario) and we'll have a new coach soon? :sly:
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » di feb 08, 2005 5:32 pm

I can't watch a game of Ajax hoping they will lose! Can't we have it both ways? Win all the games from now on and sack Koe anyway? :eusa_pray:
I think I lost my fucking headache

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 11, 2005 4:41 pm

If things don’t go wrong with Auxerre, Ajax will play either Basel or Lille for the next round.
I guess this one would be easier.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo feb 13, 2005 5:42 pm

No way I'll pray for an unequalled disaster just to see the manager walk the plank. I'll be in Vak 424 Wednesday and Sunday, and at my computer when possible, praying for a top two.As for Wednesday, I'm just praying for a 2:1 and in the following week with a chance. :eusa_pray:

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » zo feb 13, 2005 6:07 pm

I do not remember ever wishing for a defeat for Ajax.
And in my views only the UEFA cup can still motivate this group.
Wishful thinking ? :hypocrite:

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo feb 13, 2005 6:19 pm

If Ajax advance to the next round, then there's a 50% chance (depending on home/away draw) that those of us coming to Amsterdam in mid-March for "Rendezvous" can see a UEFA Cup game on March 16.

So I'm definitely pulling for a big victory in this game... But confident? No.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo feb 13, 2005 9:37 pm

If AT 5 is correct, Ajax will have to win Wednesday without Sneijder, Galasek, and Vonk being available. X'C

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » ma feb 14, 2005 7:05 am

Galasek or De Jong won't make much of a difference, not having Sneijder is an advantage, and if things go reasonably well the goalkeeper won't be too busy.

We'll have Babel instead of Charisteas, so we might even win.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 15, 2005 4:17 pm

Right. No Vonk (Stekelenburg to replace him, Boggy back on the bench), no Sneijder, no Galásek, no Grygera, no Charisteas.

Here's what I expect (squad of 18):

--------------------- Stekelenburg ------------------------------

Trabelsi ----- De Jong ------- SQD --------- Maxwell ----------

Pienaar --------------- Heitinga ---------Van der Vaart -------

Rosales ---------------- Babel ------------ Boukhari ----------

Bench: Boggy, Obodai, Ridders, Anastacia, Maduro, Lindgren, O'Brien (?)

What do you say?

K.
Still alive...

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » di feb 15, 2005 4:25 pm

Personaly I would play Boggers, rather than Stekky, and as I've said before De Jong isn't a centre-back. So I dunno, Obodai maybe?

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di feb 15, 2005 6:29 pm

What about Mitea ? He may not be in great shape, but has more potential than Boukhari.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di feb 15, 2005 7:41 pm

I think it's better to field a not really good player who is at 100% than a player in bad form...

I expect exactly the same line-up as Ko, but maybe Koeman will do big changes (4-4-2 ?) ;)

vagegast

Bericht door vagegast » di feb 15, 2005 9:15 pm

philippe schreef:What about Mitea ? He may not be in great shape, but has more potential than Boukhari.
Over the long-term, yes, but not for this game.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo feb 16, 2005 1:53 am

The Purple Cow schreef:Personaly I would play Boggers, rather than Stekky, and as I've said before De Jong isn't a centre-back. So I dunno, Obodai maybe?
Couldn't agree more. De Jong is much better suited to a wider position. Centre back doesn't seem to work for him.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 16, 2005 11:02 am

Note that the line-up I posted is the one I expect, not necessarily the one I would have fielded as a coach.

Mine would look almost exactly the same, by the way, except that I would make Heitinga and De Jong change positions: Heitinga as a central defender alongside SQD and De Jong as the 'Galásek type'.

Right now I would definitely go for Boukhari. Philippe: I see your point, but you really have no idea how terrible Mitea has been... You really feel sorry for the kid. He looked like he'd never seen a football before.

K.
Still alive...

Monkey Tonk

Bericht door Monkey Tonk » wo feb 16, 2005 11:35 am

Code: Selecteer alles

--------------------- Stekelenburg ------------------------------ 

Trabelsi -----  Heitinga------- SQD --------- O'Brien---------- 

------Pienaar --------vd Vaart --------- Maxwell------- 

Rosales ---------------- Babel ----------------- Boukhari ------
Maxwell is dying a slow death in the back. He's got to get back to his familiar spot. If O'Brien is fit he's the man at left back. Everyone is playing at their 'own' position. No crazy Koeman improvisations. Note the Dutch axis (Stekelenburg, Heitinga, vd Vaart, Babel). Just a detail, but the axis is the main 'communication line'.

Auxerre will drop back and wait for a mistake. I would prefer to have more speed to neutralize dangerous counter attacks, but we don't really have any superfast players. The quality of Ajax's positional play, when it comes to this defensive element, is very shaky. Combine that with the lack of creative ideas offensively, and you get a sense of how total football has morphed into totally predictable football. All Auxerre has to do is set the trap.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » wo feb 16, 2005 3:18 pm

De jong just hasn't got the vision to play in Galasek's position. Galasek is more than just a defensive sheild - his passing is always great and is involved in anything good.
De Jong could be deployed as a full back moving Trasbelsi to right wing and Rosales to left wing, Pienaar to the holding position, vd Vaart to left back, Maxwell in goal - hang on a minute I am sounding like Koeman here.

However I think Pizza 5's thoughts of Ajax playing a 3-5-2 formation tonight could have a lot of merit. I think that Auxerre will hang back so we won't be requiring a back line of 4 people. So here is my preferred line-up:-.

Couldn't care less who was in goal

A back 3 of De Jong, SQD and Heitinga

A midfield of Trabelsi, Piennaar, Obodai, Maxwell & Rosales

Front 2 of Babel and His Royal Highness
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Plaats reactie