14 MAR 2024; Aston Villa - Ajax; Conference League

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

14 MAR 2024; Aston Villa - Ajax; Conference League

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mar 11, 2024 1:51 am

Have at it.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Re: 14 MAR 2024; Aston Villa - Ajax; Conference League

Bericht door Orange14 » wo mar 13, 2024 1:18 pm

Goojier is suspended for the match. Bergwijn and Berghuis are still out injured. Vos and Gods are back from their injuries and have played for Jong Ajax for the last couple of weeks and make the match day travelling team. Of course, we all know that Godts is a much better player than Forbs.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do mar 14, 2024 5:22 am

Expect Rensch at RB and Sutalo, Kaplan and Hato in the middle. Don’t think Ajax will win this but I said that before the Bodo/Glimt game.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 14, 2024 8:19 pm

Brobbey is back and Rensch for Gooijer.Ajax could surprise us all but I still see a Villa win

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do mar 14, 2024 9:20 pm

Should have been a red card for Watkins! Only aimed for Ramaj’s legs.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do mar 14, 2024 9:46 pm

Kaplan's injury didn't seem too bad. So hopefully it's a precaution that he asked to come off.

Sutalo is so much worse than him.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do mar 14, 2024 9:48 pm

Also Ramaj is again on the top of his game. Saved us a couple times already from what I've seen so far.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 14, 2024 9:53 pm

Same old, same old. Another cheap goal conceded off a corner kick. Ajax almost equalized in added time. Must say that I continue to be unimpressed with Aston Villa. Looks like Kaplan just picked up a muscle injury and hope it won't be to serious. It's going to be tough for Ajax to score with not enough difference makers on the pitch.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 14, 2024 9:54 pm

GangstaRiB schreef:
do mar 14, 2024 9:20 pm
Should have been a red card for Watkins! Only aimed for Ramaj’s legs.
Quite right and I'm surprised that VAR didn't call for a review.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do mar 14, 2024 10:01 pm

I think Rogers should have had a second yellow for the tackle on Rensch too.

Anyway it’s a really bad game from both sides and I think Ajax will concede a couple more goals with only Sutalo and Hato at the back.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 14, 2024 11:05 pm

Agree Villa got a bit of luck with possible 2 reds but in the 2nd half we were very poor. Rijkhoff could only do better than Akpom and Mannsverk even without his red really is no better than Fitz-Jim or Vos.

Sunday at Sparta will be a struggle

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mar 14, 2024 11:10 pm

Well, it was pretty much even for about 55 minutes before Ajax continued on their self-destructive ways. Mannswer with a cheap give away gets Villa the 2nd goal and a few minutes later he has the mildest of shirt tugs but the Villa player milks it the way you would expect an Italian striker to do; second YC and off he goes. Two more goals when down to 10. Ajax had one dangerous play at the end of the first half when Akpom was strong on the ball and got it to Brobbey for a quick shot that was cleared off the line. Ajax seemed to do well when they were pressing Villa deep but that ended with the sending off. The big question now is whether Ajax will have any healthy CBs other than Hato as Rensch, Sutalo, and Kaplan all went off with injuries. Rensch is suspended for this week's game against Sparta but the other two will be needed. What was absolutely mystifying to me is van't Schip not taking Brobbey after the RC. He should have been rested for the final 25 minutes rather than having to chase after balls.

I don't see much a possibility for Euro football next season given how things are going and it's not even certain that Ajax can finish fifth. If they end up in the play offs, there is no Cruyff Arena to play in. I'll keep watching as I'm a true supporter who stands by his club even when the storm clouds are massing.

Player Ratings:

Ramaj (5.5) - some really sparking saves and some equally horrible, cheap, give aways
Rensch (5) - honestly did very little
Sutalo (4.5) - so uncomfortable with the ball that it makes me cringe
Kaplan (4.5) - I think he was the one supposed to mark Watkins, he didn't and that was the match winner
Hato (6) - Cal Ripken streak continues and he seemed to be the most poised player for Ajax
Sosa (5.5) - other than the slip when he got the ball and then it was a free run on goal by the Villa attacker for the 4th goal, he had some good interventions
Henderson (5) - looking more like a big waste of money
Mannswerk (3) - forget about this one and look forward to Sunday
Hlynsson (5) - ran hard all day but to little effect
Brobbey (5) - had the shot at the end of the half but that was it and should have come off in the 2nd half
Taylor (5) - worked hard but is no substitute for a true winger
Akpom (5.5) - had a good strong run at the end of the half but that was it
Gaaei (5) - on for Sutalo and not involved in any of the goals
Tahirovic (NR) - on late

Sparta on the weekend and what surprises will that match have in store?

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » vr mar 15, 2024 3:03 am

I thought they would be eliminated in the previous round, so in that sense they did better than I expected them to.

It’s a bit embarrassing going out 4–0 to Aston Villa though.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr mar 15, 2024 1:55 pm

Looking back with 7 defensive players and hardly any chances that must count as one of the wort performances of football I have ever seen from Ajax.

Hato was ok ,Brobbey on his own could not do anything but the other 9 were utter rubbish. The Ajax fans do go on about the rubbish signed last summer but Taylor Rensch and Hlynsson are our own youth but poor.Even Kaplan just stood frozen and let Watkins score.

We cannot keep playing 5-4-1 as we still leak goals but we have no wingers and no creative MF .

Since Bergwijn got injured and Berghuis also we have struggled but with a small squad we have not coped with playing 4 out of the last 5 Thursdays in Europe and league games a couple of days later .

Only real moan about subs yesterday Brobbey should have gone off at 2-0 and Rijkhoff come on. Why is Medic not given a few minutes as Sutalo is woeful.

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » za mar 16, 2024 8:29 am

:anew.gif: :anew.gif: :anew.gif:

Looking at a rerun of the Villa match, it was obvious what the outcome was going to be just from Henderson's attitude..before coin toss it was smile and "Hi, mate!" from Henderson .totally ignored by McGinn who was TOTALLY focussed.. Henderson might try to be a leader, but I can see him as someone who wants to get back to EPL ..possibly via Leicester next season!
So, Henderson, Brobbey, Agpom will be gone for next season,...looks like a struggle for Yong Ajax in Eredivisie for a few years as there's no money to buy talent...the WHOLE team will have to be grown...but by who??

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
34 will always be with us

Plaats reactie