21 SEP 2023; Ajax - Marseille; EL Group Match 1

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

21 SEP 2023; Ajax - Marseille; EL Group Match 1

Bericht door Orange14 » ma sep 18, 2023 1:34 pm

Thursday night football begins this week with Ajax facing Marseille. Marseille have not been in any better form than Ajax so this may end up seeing which team gets the tactics right. Steijn is still sorting out a bunch of new players to see which ones can solve multiple problems. Right now the only outfield players that seem to be assured of starting are Brobbey, Bergwijn, Berghuis, Tahirovic, Sutalo, Hato, and Sosa. It will be interesting to say the least.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Re: 21 SEP 2023; Ajax - Marseille; EL Group Match 1

Bericht door Orange14 » do sep 21, 2023 5:45 pm

I have a busy day today so I might not get player ratings done until tomorrow.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do sep 21, 2023 7:32 pm

Watching on proper TV, TNT was BT

Gorter,Gaaei,Sutalo,Hato,Sosa,Tahirovic,Taylor,Berghuis, Bergwijn,Brobbey,Forbs Probably our strongest lineup.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do sep 21, 2023 8:54 pm

Good opening 20 mins and 2 lovely goals but our MF seemed too high up the field and fullbacks are not great defenders and defence looks dodgy.I fear a defeat

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do sep 21, 2023 8:57 pm

Just got back and started watching after the 2nd Marseille goal. Sosa is such an indifferent defender, he did not even bother tracking back on the bad pass by Hato, leaving the youngster exposed. Passing is so slow and easy to intercept. This team is short of fundamentals.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do sep 21, 2023 9:03 pm

looks like Vos is coming in. If he has a good match they should sack Mislintat immediately!

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » do sep 21, 2023 10:00 pm

90 minute rollercoaster. Entertaining but not especially high level football. We could have won it, but we certainly could have lost it.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do sep 21, 2023 10:01 pm

I still need to watch the first half before I can post ratings. I thought it was a decent enough half for Ajax. It's a shame that Bergwijn's shot was stopped. Vos was very good. the first YC was marginal and often not given. The second one was deserved. He's so much better than Tahirovic it's not even funny. Gorter had a good game as far as I could tell, making some very tough saves. I will be interesting to see what the starting lineup is on Sunday.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do sep 21, 2023 10:04 pm

Brighton lose to AEK 2-3!!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do sep 21, 2023 10:24 pm

Could have won but I will take the draw.Defending of full backs very poor but Vos was very good ,unlucky 1st yellow, Far better than Tahorovic, but fans all knew that. Instead of the wooden V D Boomen we should be giving Misehouy minutes

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » vr sep 22, 2023 1:21 am

The first half was really bad and we were lucky to be in it at half time. Two goals from nowhere made it look better than it was.

Vos made a huge difference in the second and I expect him to start against Feyenoord. Ajax might’ve won it if Taylor or Bergwijn could finish.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr sep 22, 2023 11:11 am

Vos,Taylor and Berghuis our best Mf and Misehouy should be Berghuis backup. Tahirovic is very moderate, V D Boomen also ,neither are better than Vos or Fitz-Jim. Mannverk ,no idea did not see him touch the ball last Sunday.

Forbs played well but Bergwijn never impesses me. At the back Gaaei is no better than Rensch or Sanchez. None can defend and if you want a RB to attack and not defend just use Jermoumi from Jong . Sosa good in attack but dreadful defending .Thus with 2 fullbacks playing as wingers there was too much pressure on Hato and Sutalo at the back.

Vos must start on Sunday and maybe Rensch to come back.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr sep 22, 2023 12:45 pm

Just finished watching the first half on the replay. This was a much better performance from Ajax than in previous matches but there continue to be defensive frailties. We don't have a single FB who can defend at all which puts real pressure on the two CBs. This probably dictates two holding MFs which is not optimal. Gorter had a very fine game and did get a hand on the third goal but could not push it away. Forbs was a dynamo and Vos showed what a proper Ajax academy product can do. The first YC he received is really light and in a lot of leagues will never be called, the second was unfortunately justified and sent him off. Brobbey was effective again.

Player Ratings:

Gorter (7.5) - made some really tough saves to keep Ajax chances alive
Gaaei (5.5) - had some very nice crosses but unfortunately, the left wing was vacant; should have done better on Aubameyang's 2nd goal of the night
Sutalo (5.5) - don't know if his lack of either Dutch or English is part of the problem but he made some mistakes on the night
Hato (6) - hung out to dry on several occasions but his ball handling was decent for the most part
Sosa (5.5) - just doesn't defend at all
Tahirovic (4) - just not quick enough and his passing is suspect, likely not a long term Ajax player
Taylor (6.5) - yes, he missed some chances but he had some very good pressing interventions and good runs into the box
Berghhis (6.5) - decent enough game and his goal was nicely taken
Forbs (7.5) - a faster and quicker version of Neres, doesn't get into trouble facing potential double teams
Brobbey (6.5) - thought he had a good game inside the box
Bergwijn (6.5) - did a great job tracking back to help on defense and only a fine save from the keeper denied him the 4th Ajax goal
Vos (5.5) - point off for the rash tackle that sent him off but he had a good game, calm on the ball and skipped pass a Marseille forward deep inside the Ajax half
Akbom (5) - on for the final 10 minutes and had maybe one touch
van den Boomen (5) - just too slow to be a regular
Avila (NR) - on for defense after the Vos send off
Medic (NR) - same as Avila

Feyenoord coming up on Sunday. Hope for a MF of Vos, Taylor, and Berghuis. We'll see what the club's chances are in the Eredivisie are this season.

Plaats reactie