29 JAN 2023; Excelsior - Ajax; Match Day 19

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

29 JAN 2023; Excelsior - Ajax; Match Day 19

Bericht door Orange14 » ma jan 23, 2023 6:39 pm

Second match of the week is against 11th place Excelsior who Ajax pummeled 7-1 in the home match.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Re: 29 JAN 2023; Excelsior - Ajax; Match Day 19

Bericht door Tom_ » zo jan 29, 2023 2:20 am

Fantasy football time! How do you all see the best 11 now that Schreuder’s gone and some different lineups might be possible?

I would like to see something like this (assuming Dutch law requires a 4-3-3):

- Rulli -
Rensch - Timber - ??? - Bassey
- Alvarez - Kudus -
- Tadic -
Conceicao - Brobbey - Bergwijn

I guess a Jong player could play LCB but I don’t know who. Could also play Alvarez at CB and give Fitz-Jim a chance at #6.

Given the lack of quality defenders I would actually prefer three CDs against better teams, but that won’t happen with Heitinga in charge.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo jan 29, 2023 2:04 pm

team appears to be Rulli,Rensch,Timber,Alvarez,Wijndal,Klaassen,Taylor,Kudus,Berghuis,Tadic,Bergwijn (Kudus will eb no 10 and Tadic striker)

loads of moans on Ajaxshowtime but left out are Bassey and Sanchez ,neither good enough , Conceicao and Lucca basically just subs and the underperforming Brobbey. Not sure what sort of side the fans want out .

Rumour today that Tadic nearly signed for Roma earlier in the week. V D Sar has already indicated no more signings but we cannot lose any more experience at present.

A win is so important today as Feyenoord currently winning in Enschede.

PS Feyenoord drew 1-1 so are 8 clear of us at present.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo jan 29, 2023 2:30 pm

I was hoping he’d change the midfield up a bit more. Only thing that really matters today is three points.

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » zo jan 29, 2023 3:18 pm

another poor half. excelsior player with a header and nobody marked him at all. despite most of possession, excelsior had most of the chances. even though I bemoan klaassen and his lack of creativity, he does score and tries

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo jan 29, 2023 3:21 pm

Really need someone in MF who can pass. Most of their counters came from hopeless forward passes that were easily intercepted.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo jan 29, 2023 3:21 pm

Davy 'one goal' really should not be playing in a game like this as he is not a good ball handler. Of course he ends up getting the go ahead goal - LOL :drecul.gif: Maybe this is the best starting 11 that can be put out on the field. However they don't seem to be able to figure out how to get chances against a 5-4-1. If they mess up the entry pass, the opposition counters with numbers and Ajax have too many people caught up field. I would have started Fitz-Jim as the deep playmaker in this kind of game with Berghuis at 10 rather than Klaassen, but I'm just an arm chair manager.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » zo jan 29, 2023 4:38 pm

kudus and tadic played well today, rulli made some big saves. defense is still a mess but at least we win at last

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo jan 29, 2023 4:39 pm

The Heitinga era (however short it might be) starts off with a 1-4 win against Excelsior. He opted for Tadic as striker flanked by Bergwijn and Kudus. There were still moments of doubt when Ajax turned the ball over and Excelsior mounted some dangerous counter attacks. Rulli made some good saves and Alvarez had a couple of good interventions. Feyenoord drew with Twente so Ajax move up to fourth and are now five points behind the leader. The one problem with the lineup was Klaassen who really should not be on the field against a lock down defense, his ball skills are really poor (always have been) and a deep lying playmaker is really needed in this types of matches. Taylor is not good enough and really only Fitz-Jim among the players is this type of player. The MF until Kudus dropped back was only average.

Player Ratings:

Rulli (7) - had some good saves to keep the scoreline down and made no mistakes with the ball at his feet
Rensch (6.5) - what a good strike for the fourth goal and was decent enough in the other aspects of his game
Timber (6.5) - had a couple of moments when he was too far up field allowing counters to cause danger
Alvarez (7) - some good interventions as a CB and moved up to defensive MF in the late stage of the match
Wijndal (6.5) - had a decent enough game and is much better than Bassey with the ball at his feet
Taylor (5.5) - really is not a defensive MF and was just a bit above ordinary
Berghuis (5.5) - just average and didn't cause much danger
Davy One Goal (5.5) - got the match winner but the other aspects of his game were poor
Kudus (7) - good game both on the wing and in MF, with a strong shot for the third goal
Tadich (7) - I think false 9 is the only position he can play these days as he is no longer quick enough on the wing, strong PK to open the scoring
Bergwijn (7) - had some good shots that forced saves by the Excelsior keeper
Conceicao (6) - added some dynamism on the wing in the 2nd half
Bassey (4.5) - had a woeful miss on a kick when he first came in the match

Away to Cambbur next followed by a Beker match away to Twente. At least we can celebrate a WIN today.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo jan 29, 2023 4:42 pm

A moderate 1st half with Davy getting a very important goal. Kudus with a beauty and then gradually I started to see a football team that looked more like my beautiful Ajax. Easy to say but after the garbage football of Schreuder the players started to look as if they were enjoying themselves. Kudus after his goal then played MF and he must play there from the start.

Agree with Orange, Fitz-Jim should be playing .

5 points behind Feyenoord but they play PSV next week, if that was a draw and we actually beat lowly Cambuur we would be 2 points behind and all to play for

Plaats reactie