26 OCT 2022; Ajax - Liverpool; CL Match 5

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

26 OCT 2022; Ajax - Liverpool; CL Match 5

Bericht door Orange14 » di okt 25, 2022 1:04 pm

Ajax face a Liverpool team that is beset with major issues and languishing outside the top four in the EPL. Though remote, Ajax still have a path into the Champions League knockout round. A two goal win is required and Napoli would need to help out on the final group match day. Ajax almost got a draw on the visit to Anfield but as we saw were outplayed getting few scoring chances. It should be an interesting match and I wonder if Wijndal will start at LB.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Re: 26 OCT 2022; Ajax - Liverpool; CL Match 5

Bericht door Tom_ » wo okt 26, 2022 1:33 pm

It sounds like Ajax will approach this game the same way as the other group games so I am not optimistic.

A bad result actually wouldn’t matter too much as long as we don’t lose to Rangers in the last group match.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » wo okt 26, 2022 2:34 pm

We shouldn't continue in the Champions League. We're not at this level currently
May the Force be with you

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 26, 2022 5:02 pm

How Schreuder can justify playing Blind is just a mystery to me.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » wo okt 26, 2022 6:43 pm

looking forward to those blind vs darwin duels…
I’m in Madrid for this one and going to an Irish pub that’s showing the game. at least the atmosphere should make up for the upcoming loss

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 26, 2022 7:21 pm

Dont see us wining.Missed most of the RKC game but watched highlights and a far better side than them would have scored a few
more goals against our defence ,even Timber does not look like he did last season but then again Martinez is not his central partner.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 26, 2022 8:52 pm

2 good chances but their main threat and goal a bad mistake by Pasveer.Still think we need a new goalie.
Blind not doing badly but what actually has Klaassen done? How does this guy get to start games.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 26, 2022 10:00 pm

2 quick goals after Ht and it was game over. Having lost a few top players in the summer the replacements are not good enough. Bassey seems more a LB,Bergwijn doesn't perform at this level and Kudus is never played at 10 and is obviously fed up and looks like he is off to Dortmund.Meanwhile we have Alvarez and Klaassen as Mf,neither are creative and I still think MF plus left side of defence are poor.

Why was Conceicao not sub at 60 mins ,he is quick and need more playing time.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 26, 2022 10:09 pm

Ajax had an almost decent first 40 minutes of football. Berghuis had the best opportunity with off foot close shot. Tadic had a second chance a little later. Even though they looked OK, there was too much Frank de Boer U-Turn football with lots of back passes to Pasveer who was forced to kick out. The team is mentally weak as was evident on all three of Liverpool goals with the second one yet another corner kick that was easily headed in by Nunez (shades of last season when he was at Benfica). Schreuder finally put the starting lineup that should have began the match but that didn't happen until the 60th minute when Kudus and Wijndal came in for Klaassen and Blind. By then it was too late and then he takes of Brobbey and moves Kudus up front where he is very ineffective. Ajax are given a gift by the Dutch FA as the Vitesse match is postponed much to Vitesse's anger so Ajax can prep for Rangers. I guess the math is in Ajax's favor given the 4-0 win in the first game of the group but with this team any result is possible.

Player Ratings:

Pasveer (6.5) - did OK and I'm not sure that is to blame on Salah's goal
Sanchez (5) - had some good moments but I think it was his poor backpass that got things started for Liverpool leading to the first goal
Timber (6.5) - decent enough match and he had a couple of good runs with the ball; it's clear that he is in a funk because of the overall mediocrity of the team
Bassey (6.5) - thought he did good defending but having to cover for Blind is a curse I would not want to wish on anyone
Blind (5) - really fortunate that Liverpool decided not to do much on his side of the field
Alvarez (5) - had some decent moments with the ball but I think Nunez was his man on the 2nd goal
Berghis (6.5) - maybe the best player for Ajax on the night
Klaassen (4) - woeful and cannot compete at this level
Bergwijn (5) - not much of a factor and is uncomfortable playing on the right
Brobbey (5.5) - held the ball up very well but could make any inside runs
Tadic (5.5) - had one decent chance and that was it; he needs to confront the fact that he is just not quick enough to play at this level
Kudus (5.5) - should have started and it was too late by the time he came on; he is totally inept when he has to play upfront with his back to goal
Wijndal (5.5) - has the needed pace to do a decent job
Taylor (5) - just average and nothing more
Grillitsch (NR)
Conceicao (NR)

Schreuder is the wrong manager for this team but I'm not sure who is.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo okt 26, 2022 10:37 pm

Didn’t bother watching the second half since it was obvious which way the game was going after Salah scored. It might have been different if Berghuis or Tadic had put their chances away but they were never coming back from 1–0 down.

Napoli beat Rangers so Ajax only need to avoid another massive loss next week to stay in the EL.

Plaats reactie