07 NOV 2021; Ajax - Go Ahead Eagles; Match Day 12

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

07 NOV 2021; Ajax - Go Ahead Eagles; Match Day 12

Bericht door Orange14 » vr nov 05, 2021 1:48 pm

Ajax host Marc Overmars's old club this Sunday ahead of the International break for WC qualifying. Go Ahead Eagles stand a surprising 8th in the table. I wonder when EtH gives Gorter a chance at first team football. We do need a reliable back up for Pasveer.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Ayman

Re: 07 NOV 2021; Ajax - Go Ahead Eagles; Match Day 12

Bericht door Ayman » vr nov 05, 2021 9:20 pm

Orange14 schreef:
vr nov 05, 2021 1:48 pm
Ajax host Marc Overmars's old club this Sunday ahead of the International break for WC qualifying. Go Ahead Eagles stand a surprising 8th in the table. I wonder when EtH gives Gorter a chance at first team football. We do need a reliable back up for Pasveer.

I'd hate to say this but at this stage, minor injuries to the first team is the only way that will force Ten Hag to rotate the team

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo nov 07, 2021 7:41 pm

Klaassen and Kudus start and Gravenberch and Berghuis subs.No bad thing our MF struggled last week v Heracles.Onana on the bench.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo nov 07, 2021 8:05 pm

I was hoping to see Kudus start for Gravenberch.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo nov 07, 2021 8:52 pm

another poor 45 mins of football we are struggling to beat the poor teams at the moment.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo nov 07, 2021 9:42 pm

Eredivisie teams have worked out that this formation is less dangerous if they stop the combinations along the flanks.

Jinne
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Jinne » zo nov 07, 2021 9:54 pm

Disgrace
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo nov 07, 2021 9:57 pm

2 goals conceded, 9 points lost. Very frustrating but I think our results will improve.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo nov 07, 2021 10:05 pm

Crap football and crap result. Stick 10 men behind the ball and Ajax have no clue how to score.Of the 4 games we have not won we deserved a point v Utrecht but the 3 others all draws was all we deserved.

Glad we have a 2 week break we all need to recharge our batteries .There is along way to go but today Feyenoord won for the 2nd game in a row with an injury time winner ,PSV often drag out injury time winners but we dont.Sticking on 5 attackers for the last 10 mins doesn't work. Haller never touched the ball,Danilo and Neres barely did and Daramy either fell over or gave the ball away.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo nov 07, 2021 10:14 pm

I cannot give any credit to teams playing negative football. Go Ahead Eagles got a point by packing everyone behind the ball and Ajax despite 29 shots, only were able to put five on goal. Klaassen and Martinez had the best chances to score but all the other shots were blocked by the clogged penalty box. EtH sat both Berghuis and Gravenberch but Klaassen and Kudus really could not generate much creativity. Haller didn't get any service at all and when he had the ball at his feet there were too many defenders around him. Antony could not conjure any magic at all

Player Ratings:

Pasveer (6) - maybe he got a slight touch on the most dangerous shot near the end of the game but he had little to do
Blind (6) - didn't have to defend but his passing was just average
Martinez (6.5) - had to headers on corner kicks and defended decently
Timber (6) - just brought the ball up field
Mazraoui (6) - far more running than Blind but could not break free
Alvarez (5) - had a couple of interventions and was OK on the ball before coming off
Kudus (5.5) - was pretty quick but couldn't help break things down
Klaassen (5.5) - his header against the upright was the only highlight of his game
Tadic (6) - just above average is all
Haller (5.5) - didn't get the ball in any open situation
Antony (5.5) - always faced a double team and his crosses were aimless
Gravenberch (5) - I hope he realizes he is not ready to move on from Ajax as he is not good enough yet
Daramy (4.5) - mediocre performance trying to take players on and beat them; he could not and lost too many balls
Schuurs (NR) - on late for Timber and was OK
Danilo (NR) on late and had a shot but could not convert
Neres (NR) - on late

Two goalless draws are not good enough for this team. I cannot remember the last time an Ajax team won in the waning embers of a game. Feyenoord and PSV seem to do this all the time but not Ajax. Off next week for international matches.
Laatst gewijzigd door Orange14 op zo nov 07, 2021 10:37 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo nov 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Agree ratings Orange but you posted Gravenberch twice, think you meant Mazraoui for the 6

Jinne
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Jinne » zo nov 07, 2021 10:24 pm

Twente away last season was the last game we won at the end. Klaas twice.
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo nov 07, 2021 10:38 pm

SPL schreef:
zo nov 07, 2021 10:19 pm
Agree ratings Orange but you posted Gravenberch twice, think you meant Mazraoui for the 6
Fixed, thanks

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » ma nov 08, 2021 1:00 am

just saw the replay. pathetic performance, I’m sorry. I know the team played a tough match on Wednesday but that’s why we are supposed to have a deep bench. from the line up you could tell they were going to play that type of game, not attractive but effective against us. play was way too slow and we always the same old wing play. bad crosses were always headed away. when we had chances at shots the ball was either played to someone else or an extra touch was taken with resulting ball loss. failed to score now in 2 eredivisie matches in a row against bottom half teams and dropped 9 points in 13 games. not a title winning performance so far and could cost us dearly.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma nov 08, 2021 5:51 pm

We've been a lot of U-shaped football this season. All of us remember that from FDB days. The defending team triple teams the wing and then throws bodies in the box. We need to be able to play through the middle as well.

For games like this, I would not even think of starting with Alvarez. Start Tadic at #9, bench Haller to bring on as a pinch-hitter. Gravenberch-Kudus-Berghuis in the middle.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma nov 08, 2021 9:56 pm

Would agree with you Amol.Heracles and GAE ,neither side attacked much so Alvarez ,a defender who adds little to attacking is a luxury.Haller gets no space with the ball so Tadic at 9 with Kudus,Berghuis and Gravenberch should all start v Sparta and RKC ,our next games.Those 2 will likely stick 11 behind the ball also.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di nov 09, 2021 7:43 am

I am usually the pessimist around here but this time I reckon it’s not as bad as it seems.

Most seasons we get two or three crappy games against physical and/or defensive teams. Hopefully we’ve just had them all close to each other this season.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di nov 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Tom_ schreef:
di nov 09, 2021 7:43 am
I am usually the pessimist around here but this time I reckon it’s not as bad as it seems.

Most seasons we get two or three crappy games against physical and/or defensive teams. Hopefully we’ve just had them all close to each other this season.
Quite right!!! EtH is smart enough to figure this out and get the players motivated.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di nov 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Tom_ schreef:

GAE has let in 22 goals in 11 games before they played us. I'm not going to classify them as a successful defensive team. The model is 'easy' to follow for teams who think they have 0 chance to win against us and/or get embarrassed.

I don't think these tactics are a flash in the pan. It's essentially a 5 man defense, 3 defensive MFs (2 to pressure the wing play and 1 to guard the defenders), 1 advanced MF and 1 forward. We're playing 3 defenders in Timber, Martinez and Alvarez against 1 forward at most and then our wing play gets stuck against 3 defenders. All the crosses are being blocked off by 2/3 central defenders. Also since the defense sits deep, the keeper can help catch crosses close to the goal as well.

This requires some intricate one touch play through the middle to break down. Of course - it's very easy for me to say all of this. But we need a plan B.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di nov 09, 2021 8:58 pm

Amol schreef:
di nov 09, 2021 3:48 pm
Tom_ schreef:

GAE has let in 22 goals in 11 games before they played us. I'm not going to classify them as a successful defensive team. The model is 'easy' to follow for teams who think they have 0 chance to win against us and/or get embarrassed.

I don't think these tactics are a flash in the pan. It's essentially a 5 man defense, 3 defensive MFs (2 to pressure the wing play and 1 to guard the defenders), 1 advanced MF and 1 forward. We're playing 3 defenders in Timber, Martinez and Alvarez against 1 forward at most and then our wing play gets stuck against 3 defenders. All the crosses are being blocked off by 2/3 central defenders. Also since the defense sits deep, the keeper can help catch crosses close to the goal as well.

This requires some intricate one touch play through the middle to break down. Of course - it's very easy for me to say all of this. But we need a plan B.
The plan B should be Antony and Neres/Daramy on the flanks. Tadic in the middle and either Klaassen or Berghuis behind him with Kudus/Gravenberch as the B2B midfielder. This is the closest Ajax can get to unlocking defenders, especially with Tadic playing as an invisible striker.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo nov 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Amol schreef:
Exactly right!!! Ajax does not have three MFs who can rotate the ball fast enough in the middle of the pitch. I continue to have fond memories of a Jong Ajax match with Nouri, Frenkie and Donny in the MF and the ball was pinged around between the three of them and the two wingers. there was one time where there was over 20 short quick passes before getting a shot on goal. Alvarez and Klaassen are hopeless at this type of football. If you can't move the ball in the middle, it makes the wings much easier to defend.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo nov 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Orange14 schreef:
wo nov 10, 2021 1:36 pm
Amol schreef:
Exactly right!!! Ajax does not have three MFs who can rotate the ball fast enough in the middle of the pitch. I continue to have fond memories of a Jong Ajax match with Nouri, Frenkie and Donny in the MF and the ball was pinged around between the three of them and the two wingers. there was one time where there was over 20 short quick passes before getting a shot on goal. Alvarez and Klaassen are hopeless at this type of football. If you can't move the ball in the middle, it makes the wings much easier to defend.
We now have Naci playing #10 in Jong and he has finally found himself again. I think we need to start moving him into the senior squad past the winter break.

I think there definitely is value in Alvarez, but we need to be smart and have a couple ways of setting up the team.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr nov 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Orange's post on Weds mentioning the most beautiful football of Donny,Frenkie and Appie.It is the memory of those 3 playing together that makes a MF with Klaassen and Alvarez depressing to watch.

Plaats reactie