07 AUG 2021; Ajax - PSV; Cruyff Shield

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
Orange14

07 AUG 2021; Ajax - PSV; Cruyff Shield

Bericht door Orange14 » do aug 05, 2021 1:44 pm

Here we go with the first official match of the season. Ajax will take on a tough PSV team in the Cruyff Sheild match. Other than Antony, everyone is back in training. I don't know whether Alvarez will see minutes given that he just returned. Can Ajax build off the good performance against Leeds United yesterday? I look forward to a good season this year!!!
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Re: 07 AUG 2021; Ajax - PSV; Cruyff Shield

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 07, 2021 1:34 pm

This will be Bjorn Kuipers's final match as a CR. He is retiring after a great career and whistling the Euro final this past summer.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 07, 2021 6:52 pm

Apart from Steks for Pasveer and maybe Antony for Berghuis we are playing our strongest team tonight.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 07, 2021 7:59 pm

What a strange half of football. Other than the two Mandueke goals, Ajax totally had the measure of PSV even when going down a man. I think Tagliafico is turning into a liability. He didn't defend particularly well on the first goal and his reckless tackle was deserving of the Red Card. He was lucky last season to escape sending offs on several occasions. It maybe that no teams want him because of these liabilities. I'm not convinced by either of our two senior citizen keepers but those are the ones we have. I'm not sure Ajax can come back now down a man.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 07, 2021 9:02 pm

Attacked all the 2nd half but got caught on the break for their goals. PSV have been playing competitive football in CL for the last 2 or 3 weeks so maybe were better prepared but the young english lad ,who scored their 2x 1st half goals was too quick for us.

Agree Tagliafico is getting more reckless .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 07, 2021 9:04 pm

Poor defending and quick counters by PSV put Ajax in a hole that was sealed up when Tagliafico was deservedly sent off for a reckless challenge. Ajax played a man down for 50 minutes and conceded two more goals late in the 2nd half for a 0-4 loss. Better to screw up in a match that doesn't count in the standings and figure out what needs to be done to right the ship. When the teams were even up, Ajax had some good attacking play having a goal called back for a very narrow offsides and had a couple of good shots well saved. I don't think this team will do well with two 38 year old keepers but that's what they have. Tagliafico's best playing days are behind him and he seems to be getting more reckless in his tackles. Gravenberch played well as did Tadic. Berghuis will sit once Antony comes back from the Olympics. Haller looks like an over priced mistake. Klassen is a liability against quality teams because of poor ball skills. Timber had a nice match as did Mazraoui. Martinez was left isolated on both early goals getting no help at all. Blind had some good passes but cannot recover if he is out of position.

I imagine the roster is pretty much set barring the transfers of Neres and Tagliafico.

Sandro

Bericht door Sandro » zo aug 08, 2021 5:47 pm

Orange14 schreef:
za aug 07, 2021 9:04 pm
Better to screw up in a match that doesn't count in the standings and figure out what needs to be done to right the ship.
True, but there is not much time. My personal feeling is that sticking to Haller will prove to be a huge mistake.
"Hate it or love it, the underdog's on top".

Plaats reactie