22 Feb 2006: Ajax - FC Internazionale

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » zo feb 19, 2006 3:56 am

DanK schreef: I much prefered the days when some "small" club from the "lesser" league would frighten the living crap out of the bigger clubs. Now they don't even get to play them (well rarely).
You mean a club like, say, Porto (2004)? Or maybe psv (2005)?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

DanK

Bericht door DanK » zo feb 19, 2006 8:08 am

aveslacker schreef:
DanK schreef: I much prefered the days when some "small" club from the "lesser" league would frighten the living crap out of the bigger clubs. Now they don't even get to play them (well rarely).
You mean a club like, say, Porto (2004)? Or maybe psv (2005)?
No. I mean more like your Malmos or Brondbys etc. These clubs don't get a look in because all the rich clubs think its in their right to play champions league football when they aren't even the champion of their respective league.

Why should 4 teams from Italy, England, Spain etc get to play each year? They are just making these clubs richer and taking power away from the clubs that need the money. If you are going to allow 4 clubs from certain countries to participate, the open it up to 4 clubs from each league. Start with an even playing field.

This may also encourage players to stay at these smaller clubs longer in the knowledge that they will be playing at the highest level.

I think the whole tournament reaks of power hungry clubs wanting everything for themselves. Was it Man Utd (I think) and an italian club? that said that there should be a system sorted out so they shouldn't have to meet before the 1/4 finals? Give me a break! Man U win 2 Euro Cups/Champions leagues and they think they own f**king Europe.

Of course I say this because Ajax's chances of winning are less and if it was the other way around (ie: Holland has 4 teams in the champions league), I probably wouldn't be complaining... :blush:

Don't get me wrong. There are still great games in the Champions League and it has its moments, but I really feel its lost some of the magic that it used to have. I probably just need to learn to get over it and accept that football will never be like that again. X'C

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo feb 19, 2006 10:49 pm

No Czechies for us for this one....

I have a feeling that Ajax's ass could be sore after this game.
meh :|

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » zo feb 19, 2006 11:18 pm

Without Grygera marking Adriano we could be in for a very long night or day if you live in this part of the hemisphere.I for onr am scared to death with our current defence. :sad:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

ajaxperu

Bericht door ajaxperu » ma feb 20, 2006 3:05 am

Without Grygera marking Adriano we could be in for a very long night or day if you live in this part of the hemisphere.I for onr am scared to death with our current defence.
totally agree with you Venezuelan Ajacied. I saw the highlights of today's game and our defense is a disgrace. To make things worse, I'm reading now in ajaxshowtime.com that Sneijder will also be missing the Inter game and Emanuelson will replace him, leaving Juanfran in the back. Now I'm really worried because we are missing key players in key positions and we are playing against a team that has incredible players.
I think it's now in Blinds hands to prepare a good strategy to face Inter. The good thing is that our attack is in great shape. Let's hope for a terrible night for the italians, another great day for Huntelaar and Rosenberg and some luck for us :eusa_pray:

kaiser

Bericht door kaiser » ma feb 20, 2006 6:38 am

:xyxthumbs:

kaiser

Bericht door kaiser » ma feb 20, 2006 6:40 am

Huntelaar: 7 goals in 9 leauge games for Ajax!
Rosenberg: 9 goals in the 10 latest leauge games!

Use that confidence on Wednesday for gods sake!
:xyxthumbs:

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma feb 20, 2006 9:06 am

kaiser schreef:Huntelaar: 7 goals in 9 leauge games for Ajax!
Four against RBC though.....
meh :|

__earth
Contacteer:

Bericht door __earth » ma feb 20, 2006 9:10 am

galasek can't play =(
without galasek, I have less confidence about Ajax beating Inter.
but with huntelaar + rosenborg + sneijder, i suppose, that even things out :headbang:
but don't listen to me. I'm a pessimist.

SwedishFan

Bericht door SwedishFan » ma feb 20, 2006 9:39 am

Rosenborg :D

in 30 hours I am on a plane heading for Amsterdam!

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma feb 20, 2006 1:48 pm

"AS Livorno Calcio 0-0 FC Internazionale Milano
Inter avoided a third straight defeat but were frustrated at Livorno, with only a last-ditch Cristiano Zanetti clearance in the dying seconds preventing yet another reverse. Coach Roberto Mancini was without Walter Samuel and Esteban Cambiasso through suspension and replaced them with Marco Materazzi and Zanetti respectively. David Pizarro deputised for the injured Juan Sebastián Verón, while Mancini rested wingers Dejan Stanković and Luís Figo. New signing César made his debut in the second half. Inter captain Javier Zanetti said: "Livorno defended very well. Now we just have to focus on the game against Ajax - we cannot make mistakes against them."

Inter defeated city rivals AC Milan 3-2 on 11 December as part of a run which earned them 34 of 36 points available in Serie A (eleven wins and a draw at AC Siena). After the Milan victory, Mancini's side defeated Reggina Calcio, Empoli FC, Cagliari Calcio, Treviso FC, US Città di Palermo, US Lecce and AC Chievo Verona. But two 2-1 consecutive defeats in four days against ACF Fiorentina and Juventus left Inter 12 points off the pace. Alvaro Recoba has recovered from a thigh injury and Obafemi Martins returned from the African Cup of Nations, while Brazilian winger César joined from S.S. Lazio during the January transfer window. The Nerazzurri have made it to the Coppa Italia semi-finals after beating Lazio 2-1 on aggregate. "

With over-the-hill Figo we have to be ready for a diving constest. My predictions is that he makes at least 8 simulations for free-kicks or worse.
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 21, 2006 10:45 am

It is interesting to take a quick look at this page on UEFA.com:

http://www.uefa.com/footballEurope/Club ... index.html

That's the Ajax squad as officially registered for the Champions League. As you'll see, several Young Ajax players may be used if there are any vacancies on the bench, including Schilder, Boakye, Yildirim, Vertonghen, Timisela, Sarpong, Anita, Martina and Boerrigter. The maximum number of players for the match squad is 18.

Didi Longuet is also listed, but that's a mistake. He's no longer at Ajax.

So, let's see:

Stekelenburg, Vonk, Trabelsi, Heitinga, Vermaelen, Emanuelson, Juanfran, Maduro, Lindenbergh, Sarpong, Rosales, Charisteas, Rosenberg, Huntelaar, Babel and Boukhari.

That's only 16 players, so we can put two youngsters on the bench, just in case. I'm already counting Sarpong as a fully-fledged member of the first squad. Who do we prefer...? I would say Boakye and a midfielder (Yildirim or Vertonghen).

K.
Still alive...

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » di feb 21, 2006 1:12 pm

I thought Sneijder was fit for the game?
Get a Cock

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di feb 21, 2006 4:31 pm

My prediction is 2-1 for Ajax. And no worry : we will also win the return game.
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Now available on UEFA.com: the match preview and the official Ajax vs Inter press kit. Links to both are now up on the Ajax USA homepage!

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 21, 2006 5:05 pm

Ah, wonderful! Danny Blind has admitted that he hasn't made up his mind yet as to whether he will play with Juanfran and Urby on the left flank, or with Urby at left-back and Boukhari as a left midfielder...

Gimme a flippin' break! Juanfran has been a little bit shit in recent weeks, I will admit that, but how in the world can it ever be an option to play Boukhari instead???

He's gone mad.

K.
Still alive...

Jesse

Bericht door Jesse » di feb 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Most posters in in the Ducht zone think the same about Juanfran, Ko.

I'm afraid that Blind will play again with Huntelaar as midfielder and Charisteas as striker.
"Well, maybe Bob Dylan was wrong. Maybe you do have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di feb 21, 2006 6:27 pm

Blind: 'Few concessions despite big-name opponent'

Amsterdam, February 21, 2006
The list of star players of Internazionale is only a little longer than the number of injured Ajax players, but the name and fame of the upcoming opponent nor the battered state of his own squad are reasons for Ajax coach Danny Blind to do many concessions to the playing style he envisions. The Ajax boss told the international press on Tuesday that his team will not withdraw to their own goal in the Champions League match against Italian giants Internazionale on Wednesday.

,,It's easier said than done, but wherever possible we have to depend on our own abilities’’, said Blind. ,,At the same time we realise that Inter has players with much individual quality. They have a lot of speed and creativity up front. We will try to defend as compactly as possible. I don't mean that we will retreat into our own box, because that's not our style. What matters is keeping the area which we defend as small as possible, so we can help each other as much as possible.''
Luis Figo, Alvaro Recoba, Javier Zanetti, Juan Sebastian Veron, Obafemi Martins, Adriano mainly: Internazionale's squad has many players with an impressive record. Next to formidable football skills, the Italian side harbours that which the Ajax sqaud lacks: experience. With the loss of veterans Zdenek Grygera and Tomás Galásek, both out four to six weeks, Ajax are even less experienced than they already were. Wesley Sneijder, Steven Pienaar and Nicolae Mitea are also ruled out for the important match. ,,All players who could have started'', said Blind. ,,But there's no point in dealing with who are not going to be there at great length. We have to find a solution.'' To have a full bench, Blind will call upon youngsters Jeffrey Sarpong, Michael Timisela and Robbert Schilder.

Blind praised the development of Inter under coach Roberto Mancini. ,,Much more than before, Inter are a unity, a team tuned to one another and willing to work for each other. Their last national title was in 1989. That shows that they haven't always been able to find the right mix.''

To field a balanced formation himself will be no easy task for Blind, who lets his choices depend on the availability of Juanfrán. The Spanish defender has played below his usual level the past weeks and complained about back problems, but he is able to play. ,,Juan is one of the few experienced players. I have to weigh that against other factors, such as the way we played the past weeks'', said Blind.

If Juanfrán plays, Urby Emanuelson could go to midfield. Nourdin Boukhari is another candidate for the vacant midfield spot. ,,Alongside Maduro and Lindenbergh, we need an offensive-minded midfielder'', said Blind who is likely to consider Jeffrey Sarpong at this point in his career too light for an international top match.

The coach gives his team a chance t reach the next round. ,,You would prefer to force a decision in the home match, but that's not very likely. We have to make sure that there's still something at stake in three weeks. We have to have a real chance by then. We miss more players than they do and they have more quality and experience than we do. In reality, they have to have a bad day and we a good one, and maybe that in two matches. There is that possibility and that is the charm of a knockout system.''
Appie, stay strong !

Feest

Bericht door Feest » di feb 21, 2006 6:36 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Now available on UEFA.com: the match preview and the official Ajax vs Inter press kit. Links to both are now up on the Ajax USA homepage!

K.
Damn those press kits are cool. :xyxthumbs:

dws

Bericht door dws » di feb 21, 2006 6:48 pm

Ah, wonderful! Danny Blind has admitted that he hasn't made up his mind yet as to whether he will play with Juanfran and Urby on the left flank, or with Urby at left-back and Boukhari as a left midfielder...
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Boukhari plays our midfield is F*cked!!!!! X'C

I'm afraid that Blind will play again with Huntelaar as midfielder and Charisteas as striker.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Blind would be compromising his midfield and attack if he did this.If Ajax can exert control when in possession Inter will be forced to play cautiously. Hence, a properly functioning Ajax midfield and attack is the best chance Ajax has of preventing Inter from scoring.

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » di feb 21, 2006 6:48 pm

"We miss more players than they do and they have more quality and experience than we do. In reality, they have to have a bad day and we a good one, and maybe that in two matches. There is that possibility and that is the charm of a knockout system.''

That is not very optimistic, i think he's leting us now that if we fail to qualify its not his fault :eusa_liar: :nooo: .

I'm going to church today.....
BRING IT ON !!!!...

ajaxperu

Bericht door ajaxperu » di feb 21, 2006 8:00 pm

what a f*ing idiot. why does he just say "i'm sure we'll loose". Way to build some self esteem in the team. It's incredible that one day before the big game he still has doubts about the starting lineup and he is even considering bringing Boukhari (our absolute worse player so far) in the game.

I know we are going to be missing key players in the field tomorrow but in my opinion the pressure is on Inter and not on us. We have lethal forwards this time (huntelaar and rosenberg) and a team that is capable of playing good football which is precisely what italians hate. If we play with intelligence, passing the ball through the field, having more posession than them we stand a chance of winning. if we win this game things can really start to change for us :eusa_pray:
i'll pray so blind gets back the intelligence he used to have when he was our captain, huntelaar continues scoring goals and adriano, figo, martins all get kidnapped tonight ;)

Van der Vaart

Bericht door Van der Vaart » di feb 21, 2006 10:40 pm

will be rosenberg - huntelaar - Rosales in oujr attack

i have a little confidence...

I believe that we can WIN in Amsterdam

1 - 0 for us ,will be a great result...
IN THE HUNT , WE TRUST

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » di feb 21, 2006 11:41 pm

Inter arrive in Amsterdam on the back of one of their worst Serie A runs this season. Back-to-back defeats against Fiorentina and Juventus were followed on Saturday by a dour 0-0 draw with Livorno that left them third in the division, 12 points behind leaders Juventus.
The symbol of the team's frustration is striker Adriano, who has not hit the target in his last nine games.

We still have faith guys! Let's do it!!
Get a Cock

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo feb 22, 2006 12:35 am

I have not given up hope , after all Arsenal have just beaten real Madrid and were the better team. Arsenal are having a crap season and have weak defence but Real could not score whereas Arsenal could have scored more.

Only difference is that Inter have a defence whereas Real's defence consists of a goalkeeper.

I agree with Blind in not playing Sarpong but would go with Juanfran in defence and Urby at midfield.

Plaats reactie