22 Feb 2006: Ajax - FC Internazionale

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 23, 2006 6:06 pm

On Boukhari I have to agree with OPH's comments. Sitting watching Tv I thought the majority of his passes went astray and when he had the ball with some space he just went looking for a freekick.I am not saying he was crap as he helped out in defence but I will stick with my comments last night ,that he and Lindenbergh were our weakest links.If they were all fit then Sneijder, Galasek and Pienaar would all be picked in front of them, and they would not be picked ahead of Maduro so they are 5th and 6th choice midfielders.In our last 3 games Sarpong a 17 year old kid has got in in front of Boukhari, that makes him a meer 7th choice for our midfield.These 2 play their best but are not good enough for Ajax.

One other observation that even my son made was Rosenberg was wasted on the left.Every time Urby came down the left wing Rosenberg appeared to drop behind him. He appeared to do alot more defending than attacking, but we are talking about a top Italian team rather than a poor Dutch team .

Very easy for me to make comments like the above but overall all the players did Ajax and their fans proud.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do feb 23, 2006 6:35 pm

SPL schreef:overall all the players did Ajax and their fans proud.
said this right :xyxthumbs: :worshippy: :ajax:
Laatst gewijzigd door Philippe op do feb 23, 2006 6:35 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Appie, stay strong !

dws

Bericht door dws » do feb 23, 2006 6:35 pm

Rosenberg was wasted on the left.Every time Urby came down the left wing Rosenberg appeared to drop behind him.
Blind had no where else to play Rosenberg. The only other option for the left wing was Babel. I think most people would have agreed with Blind opting for Markus as the left winger.

Ajax wingers are expected to take the position vacated by their respective attacking fullback. Urby was the main Ajax attacker down the leftside . If Markus had neglected to fill the space left by Urby he would have left Ajax exposed to a quick counter down the left flank. :xyxthumbs:

SwedishFan

Bericht door SwedishFan » do feb 23, 2006 9:38 pm

I am back from Amsterdam, very nice city with great people and a fantastic first half. Trabelsi and Emanuelsson, ahh I love these guys, wonderful offensive players. Rosenberg had a tough night, we could clearly see he's not at all a good defensive player. During the game Blind tried to help him a couple of times, in the second half he became more and more defensive and that isn't his roll. He'll need some time to learn how to play in big games like this one, and we shouldn't forget that Javier Zanetti is one of the best(in my opinion) right defenders in the world.

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » vr feb 24, 2006 3:03 am

Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed your trip :xyxthumbs:

About J.Zanetti, could be a possibility if he's being wasted on the right, that he may move out of position giving Rosenberg a chance to pop in. Just a thought.

Adriano was everywhere, but didn't do anything. Even popped into defense. Ew.
But we have to be careful of him and Martins in San Siro, they'll want to prove something infront of their fans. So will the whole team itself. Hopefully the defense may be backed with grygera, though it's doubtful. Sneijder probably will be back, so let's hope he can fuel the team.

To a certain extent I perfer the 2-2 draw. If we won 2-0, the team may have gotten complacent in the 2nd round and loses 3-2 on agg. With the draw, Ajax SHOULD be motivated to push harder like their 1st half display but even better, and Inter will hopefully slack off and try to defend their away goal advatage.
Get a Cock

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr feb 24, 2006 10:45 am

And this write up on theworldgame.com.au (from Reuters)
Ajax coach praises youngsters
http://www3.sbs.com.au/home/index.php3?id=68292

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr feb 24, 2006 2:36 pm

I'm just going to say this:

It's in games like these that i remember how much i love this team.......... Thank You Ajax And good luck in Italy.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » vr feb 24, 2006 3:40 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Ah, wonderful! Danny Blind has admitted that he hasn't made up his mind yet as to whether he will play with Juanfran and Urby on the left flank, or with Urby at left-back and Boukhari as a left midfielder...

Gimme a flippin' break! Juanfran has been a little bit shit in recent weeks, I will admit that, but how in the world can it ever be an option to play Boukhari instead???

He's gone mad.

K.
Seems like Blind hadn't gone mad after all. ;)
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr feb 24, 2006 3:49 pm

Home from Amsterdam. An amazing trip. Wednesday evening was a night I'll not soon forget. From the meeting at Rembrandtplein before hand to The Grolsch Bar after, an absolutely BRILLIANT EVENING!!! Thanks to all mates who gathered on the night for making it so!!!

My two cents: I am as proud of Ajax as I've been since we progressed to the knock-out stage.Maybe since the PSV match in '04. And it's not like we've not won between then and now.We achieved a 2:2 and were only a few minutes from victory. 5 minutes with a side decimated by the loss of our starting midfield and best marking defender . Nigel de Jong and (SMART MOVE...NOT!!) Julien Escude`are gone as well. I know Inter wasn't full strength, but 6 players short?

A fairy tale first half gave way to a more realistic second half. It didn't help that Ajax played with 10 men.11 less Boukhari; who made 1 nice block and was okay in half one. Boukhari should have been replaced at half IMHO. JuanFran couldn't have been as miserably ineffective as Boukhari. A fresh JuanFran could've aided Full Pitch Rosie ,Rosenberg played the full length of the pitch all night, and a tiring Emanuelson.

KJH was everything he was advertised as. Ajax has a true fox in the box.He can receive and control passes in close quarters, makes space for himself and for teammates, looks a handful when executing the striker's barge/back-in, and,if he had a euro for everytime he was fouled, could retire.A new nickname for the pairing of Huntelaar and Rosenberg...THE ROARING TWENTIES! Keep the 20-something kit numbers and market the name. :worshippy:
Laatst gewijzigd door Blind3 op vr feb 24, 2006 3:55 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Feest

Bericht door Feest » vr feb 24, 2006 3:53 pm

I'd say Ajax were also five minutes from defeat, Blind3. Game shouldn't have lasted an extra minute or it would've been all said and done.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr feb 24, 2006 4:05 pm

I'm not a fortune teller. I don't know what might've happened had the game gone longer. I do know that when Cruz scored on 86 to pull the game level, Ajax WERE 5 minutes from victory . Just wanted to add that Vermaelen and Heitinga, while not flawless, were pretty good.Heitinga chose the right match to step up.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

dws

Bericht door dws » vr feb 24, 2006 6:58 pm

JuanFran couldn't have been as miserably ineffective as Boukhari
Oh yes he could have ! :yes:

SwedishFan

Bericht door SwedishFan » vr feb 24, 2006 7:38 pm

Blind3, I lived at Rembrandtplein! I wasn't on the meeting myself(too young) but I really enjoyed the fantastic athmosphere before and under the game. On the substation before the game some supporter started to talk with me, I explained I wasn't dutch and he said "Where is your blonde sister?" Next time I go to Amsterdam I will hopefully be old enough to participate in the meeting before the game, cant wait!

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr feb 24, 2006 11:05 pm

It was a big blame for the defence which had the classic out of place markings and tackles
May the Force be with you

DrDuncan

Bericht door DrDuncan » zo feb 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Only just home from seeing the Inter, RBC and Jong Heerenveen games, because I stayed on for the commemoration of the February Strike yesterday.

Having read everyone's views about the Inter game I agree with most of what has been said already, but would just add this about Boukhari. He played the whole first half of the Heerenveen game for Jong Ajax 2 days before, which was a hard fought game in sub-zero temperature... so I wasn't surprised that he tired after half time against Inter. What does surprise me is that Blind allowed him to play that game if he thought he might need to play him from the start against Inter.

Blind's 2nd mistake was not replacing Boukhari when he was obviously too tired to be effective. Since Juanfran's fitness was in doubt, Blind should have brought on Sarpong. I know he lacks experience against opposition of Inter's class, but there's only one way to gain it. Besides which, I've been impressed when I've seen him live and on TV, so I think he would have made the team better not worse.

One other point - while I would have expected Galasek to be picked if he had been fit, it struck me that one of the reasons we did so well in the first half was that the midfield got the ball forward far more quickly than tends to happen when he is playing. Inter struggled to get midfielders back to defend, which gave our forwards more space to create chances.

Plaats reactie