05 Oct 2008: SC Heerenveen - Ajax

Games, teams and line-ups

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » ma okt 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Agree with all the comments about our defence. We haven't produced anyone, and we haven't bought enough to do much. We will concede at least as many goals as we did last year if we don't get someone in January. We bought Oleguer to replace Stam, but we still need at least 3 more quality defenders who can just get in position and stop an attack. It's frustrating we all see it, but nothing is done about it.

In regards to van Basten's comments and the fair-weather players, here's what he said after the game yesterday:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... pe&cc=5901
Van Basten furious after Ajax hammering

Ajax coach Marco van Basten has launched a scathing attack on his players following the "humiliating" defeat to Heerenveen.

The Amsterdam club were 2-0 down after just eight minutes before eventually succumbing 5-2 in heavy rain at Abe Lenstra Stadion.

To add insult to injury, Gregory van Der Wiel was sent off in the closing minutes for Ajax and Van Basten was unable to hide his anger at the performance.

"It is unbelievable you can let yourself be slaughtered like they did against Heerenveen," said the former Holland coach. "I had the idea they were playing for the first time in the rain. You get the feeling they are fair-weather players.

"It was a drama, totally incomprehensible. I've never been part of such a slaughter party before. Humiliating. This is a totally new experience for me. I don't understand a bit of it how you can let yourself be humiliated like they did, as Ajax players.

"I hadn't even sat on my chair and we were already 2-0 behind. After that you barely saw a reaction from the team. They were looking at each other and doing nothing to help one another.

"For me it's confirmation these players are not educated in mental defence. We need a new mentality and quality."

• Ajax have agreed a short-term deal with veteran goalkeeper Hans Vonk because of the injuries to Maarten Stekelenburg and Dennis Gentenaar.

The 38-year-old South African will stay at the Amsterdam ArenA until the winter break, with stoppers Stekelenburg (shoulder) and Gentenaar (hernia) both expected to be out for six weeks.

Vonk, who had been without a club since leaving Ajax Cape Town earlier this year and has not played since May, told De Telegraaf: "It's very nice, a great way to make a comeback.

"I was surprised when they contacted me, but I immediately had a good feeling."

Vonk played for the Amsterdammers between 2004 and 2006, playing 27 Eredivisie matches.

In the coming months he will likely act as back-up for Kenneth Vermeer until either Stekelenburg or Gentenaar returns.

He added: "I had planned to keep myself fit until the winter break and then decide what to do. There were offers from Johannesburg, but it was not an option for our family to leave Cape Town."
AFCA

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma okt 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:The question is: who else could have been the captain? I don't really see better options, and it's not because I'm convinced by his leadership... :blush.gif:
Steks maybe? Yeah I realise he is currently injured, but this wasn't known when the decision is made.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di okt 07, 2008 7:07 pm

I'd definitely make Gabri the captain.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di okt 07, 2008 7:54 pm

bryan schreef:I'd definitely make Gabri the captain.
I would have no problem with that. He's made some mistakes in the past, but a lack of commitment is not his problem.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo okt 08, 2008 1:02 am

I have to say I agree with the George Burley who, when asked why mf Darren Fletcher was made team captain for the upcoming qualifiers, said he liked a mf as captain . He said it was because Fletcher could more easily communicate with the d behind him, coordinate the d, and link up with the attack in front and around him.

In other words, I wouldn't be adverse to mf Gabri either.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo okt 08, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm not sure, but doesn't Gabri have the most seasons with the club of all the starters (other than Stek)? I also think it's a good choice as well and will let KJH focus on scoring goals.

dws

Bericht door dws » wo okt 08, 2008 2:21 pm

Orange14 schreef:I'm not sure, but doesn't Gabri have the most seasons with the club of all the starters (other than Stek)? I also think it's a good choice as well and will let KJH focus on scoring goals.
Nah, he's also behind Vermaelen and KJH in seniority.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo okt 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Gabri is a real captain type for me. He's one of the older players in the team, a box to box midfielder, has a great mentality, and bags of experience from the Spanish league.

I thought it would be a no-brainer for Van Basten to make him captain.

Frans

Bericht door Frans » wo okt 08, 2008 7:41 pm

bryan schreef:Gabri is a real captain type for me. He's one of the older players in the team, a box to box midfielder, has a great mentality, and bags of experience from the Spanish league.

I thought it would be a no-brainer for Van Basten to make him captain.
How're his language skills?

bryan

Bericht door bryan » wo okt 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Very good. He has fluent Spanish, Catalan and English.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » wo okt 08, 2008 10:44 pm

I think Gabri would make a good captain as well, he's experienced, dedicated and seems to communicate well. I presume he was not even in line though since I don't think van Basten rates him as high as some of the other midfielders and probably didn't think he would be in the first XI. With all the midfielders van Basten signed, and the others told they could go, I think van Basten thought one of the new players would relegate him to the bench.

I think that's another weakness in this team, an experienced midfielder (though not as problematic as our defence). We had Davids last year who was captain a lot and fit that experienced and dedicated role; Gabri is the closest we have this year and we could have probably done better to sign a more experienced midfielder in place of those we did sign (Aisatti/Sno/Enoh) who may be talented, but have no experience.
AFCA

Frans

Bericht door Frans » do okt 09, 2008 2:20 am

bryan schreef:Very good. He has fluent Spanish, Catalan and English.
no dutch? that'd be a drawback... otherwise he'd probably be a good choice in many ways, though I've never seen him to be particularly extroverted like Heitinga was, which is what the team may need to fire up.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do okt 09, 2008 7:16 am

bryan schreef:Very good. He has fluent English.
I'm actually surprised at that. Obviously I've never spoken to him personally or anything but when I've seen him interviewed on Dutch TV (on the web mostly) it was in Spanish/Catalan with an interpreter whereas most of the other non-Dutch speaking foreign players I've seen were interviewed in English if they spoke it, obviously most of the Dutch TV people will speak English so no need for the interpreter.

Perhaps he's learnt English since though.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Plaats reactie