Evander Sno

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Evander Sno

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do aug 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Defensive midfielder, contracted this afternoon. Has penned a deal until summer of 2011. Product of the Ajax youth system, but played for Celtic last season.

According to Danny Blind he is the 'Heitinga type' Ajax were still looking for. But can he also play in the heart of defense...? I thought he's just a defensive midfielder.

K.
Still alive...

Michael_B

Bericht door Michael_B » do aug 21, 2008 3:14 pm

He's a worthless piece of shit, that's what he is. We just got rid of Colin and now this. Until 2011!!!

Damn you Ajax!!
Face your fears and live your dreams, No Fear

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » do aug 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Saw him against Argentina las week and said : "Hmm, you can see he played for Feyenoord".

Didn't know he came from Ajax. Surprising move, and I don't think it's a very good one. Let's see...
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » do aug 21, 2008 3:26 pm

I've actually liked him before this, mostly because I felt he was young and had potential. I don't think he's our defensive problem solver, however. I think he will be a good defensive midfielder to have, but I'm also not sure how well he can play in the center of defense, or if he will.

He didn't seem to get a lot of opportunities at Celtic, but hopefully he can do something for us. I don't think he's going to set the world on fire, but hopefully he can be more productive than the signings from the last few years.
AFCA

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » do aug 21, 2008 3:30 pm

:anew.gif: :anew.gif: :anew.gif:

Is this a good move?

Sno only made 21 appearances last year, and this included 16 as a substitute. Not exactly Johnny Heitinga material!!

Sent off in Olympics....so that's a good start - suspension!!

We wait to see if another piece of the jigsaw is going to fit!

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
34 will always be with us

Jeroen126

Bericht door Jeroen126 » do aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Celtic fans are probaly dancing in the streets pissing themselves. I think their current thoughts are very close to what we went through when we sold Colin yesterday. Horrible signing.

This had better not be John's replacement, or we can, once again, kiss the season goodbye before it has even fecking started.

'Scuse me for my temper.
Laatst gewijzigd door Jeroen126 op do aug 21, 2008 3:50 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » do aug 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Don't think this is a bad news. For sure he's not a defender, and neither a striker although he occasionally played there in the jong orange..
he is absolutely a checking midfielder. not too fast, as far as i remember, but with tactical skills.
I witnessed a great game of this guy versus Ac Milan in Champions League with Celtic. He totally erased Kakà from the field....until in the extra time the Brazilian scored in the only situation he was able to escape from him.
let's hope that game showed us the real Evander...good luck
(but we expect a defender!)
O tempora o mores

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » do aug 21, 2008 4:04 pm

I read that he played last two games for Netherlands Under-21 team as a striker and scored 3 goals. So maybe we bought him as a replasment for KJH? :drecul.gif:

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » do aug 21, 2008 4:07 pm

What a shit.

I thought we could've, shouldv'e, gotten Kompany from Hamburg but instead he goes to man City.

Damn you Ajax! We wanted to get rid of the dark clouds, now it's dropping Sno!
Get a Cock

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » do aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm

I checked the web quicky, and the guy seemed to have refused a move to Osasuna in July. They had agreed a fee of some 1,5 million euros.

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » do aug 21, 2008 4:27 pm

orange goblin schreef: I witnessed a great game of this guy versus Ac Milan in Champions League with Celtic. He totally erased Kakà from the field..
Yeh..OK! He's played ONE good game in his career....I bet the Bouys fans are dancing down the London Road now.....another "Colin" arrives at the Arena..!

34 will always be with us

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » do aug 21, 2008 5:17 pm

no..c'mon..let's give the man a chance..I know one game is not enough, I should be crazy to say that.
but if he was a colin-type he would not have made kakà crazy, not even for a night only.
we'll see..
O tempora o mores

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » do aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Yakubu was also great against Milan in 2003. Where is he now ?

At least Sno seems physically strong, it can't be a bad thing in this Ajax team...

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do aug 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Let's wait and see, folks... Let's wait and see...

(but I'm not too euphoric about this signing either, to be honest...)

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do aug 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Just to point out that he is not another Colin , for a start he is only just 21 , he never played for the Fword. He left our youth system on his 18th birthday and joined the Fword but they loaned him out come august 2005 to Nac for a season where he played several first team games. He then joined Celtic.

He must still have promise whatever he did at Celtic. he is a defensive midfielder .

We do seem to be making a habit of buying back our youths as Lindgren cost us money and we also bought Krohn-Dehli back from RKC.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do aug 21, 2008 7:03 pm

My only comment is that he is a better midfielder than Hedwiges Maduro. But this may not be saying much since Valencia is looking to off load Maduro these days.

dws

Bericht door dws » do aug 21, 2008 7:42 pm

SaddlerIan schreef:
orange goblin schreef: I witnessed a great game of this guy versus Ac Milan in Champions League with Celtic. He totally erased Kakà from the field..
Yeh..OK! He's played ONE good game in his career....I bet the Bhoys fans are dancing down the London Road now.....another "Colin" arrives at the Arena..!

Fixed your post. :ajaxsmiley.gif:

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » do aug 21, 2008 10:31 pm

I don't care for this at all. Sno does have his defensive merits, but I find him to be clumsy and a poor passer. There are scads better players we could have gotten to fill out the midfield.
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » do aug 21, 2008 11:31 pm

He seems most fit as a replacement for Maduro who never really made an impact lately. I don't know if van Basten will use him that way, but I hope Sno can add something, but I'm not too excited either. He's worth a shot I think.

:anew.gif:
AFCA

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr aug 22, 2008 11:07 am

The bottom line is MVB is filling his squad with mainly young Dutch players.

Excluding the 10 who are on the list and can go (all non Dutch) , the 25 first teamers left now include 16 Dutch , 13 through our system.That is the way I believe he is going.

I would imagine they will still look to bring in another defender.Ooijer came through our youth system did not he !

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » za aug 23, 2008 4:57 am

I'm not going to be overly critical of the move, but i just don't see how he'll get enough playing time to be worthy the money spent on him. The Bhoys won't miss him, what with the likes of Nakamura, Crosas, Donati, McGeady,etc..
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » za aug 23, 2008 7:10 am

So much for our "cooperation" with Barcelona. Crosas would've been a more promising buy than Sno.

Oh well, let's see what this guy can do here.
Get a Cock

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma aug 25, 2008 11:13 am

The bottom line is MVB is filling his squad with mainly young Dutch players.
Yup, it's a sure fire way to buy some time with the fans and media. But doubtless it will end in tears as usual.

This club is tiring me.
According to Danny Blind he is the 'Heitinga type' Ajax were still looking for. But can he also play in the heart of defense...? I thought he's just a defensive midfielder.
He certainly only ever played def. mid for Celtic. But then again, Danny Blind played KJH at nr. 10 for his first Ajax match before the board told him that they had signed a striker. :biggrin.gif:

Sno is a decent enough def. mid though. I think after playing in the high tempo, physical SPL for a few years, being a def. mid in the Eredivisie will be a walk in the park for him, to be honest. Could do well.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma sep 01, 2008 9:42 am

Not a good week for the new boy...

He get's a red in his league debut, and gets told by Foppe De Haan he will no longer be picked (together with Drenthe) for the national U-21s because of his poor attitude during the Olympics.

Hmmm ....
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » ma sep 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Hopefully, what doesn't kill him will only make him stronger. React to the adversity by putting in the time on the practice pitch to make himself better and by playing hard everytime out for Ajax.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Gesloten