Oleguer Presas i Renom

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » vr sep 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Oleguer Heading For Prison?

Ajax defender Oleguer Presas could soon be behind bars. The Catalan was involved in a riot in 2002 and is now being prosecuted for his behaviour... According to Marca, 28-year-old Ajax defender Oleguer Presas could be heading to prison for two years. The Catalan nationalist became involved a riot several years ago and allegedly wounded a police officer.

The incident happened on September 27th 2003 in Sabadell, near Barcelona. According to the charges, Oleguer threw several objects in the direction of a police officer, who was wounded by a stone during the skirmish.

The riot occurred close to trendy bar Bemba and more than twenty people were injured. Furthermore, eleven men, including the former Barcelona defender, were arrested.

It’s not yet known when the court will decide on the matter, but it would be a serious disappointment for Ajax if they were to lose their recent signing for two seasons.

Oleguer has quickly become an important part of the Ajax defence in the few weeks since his arrival.

The strong defender is currently sidelined following a hamstring injury and will miss the upcoming Eredivisie match against Vitesse.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di jan 06, 2009 4:03 pm

A Robbie Wielaert sighting in Amsterdam doesn't sound like good news for Oleguer's playing time.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 13, 2009 10:43 am

Okay... We're now discussing Oleguer in the Wielaert thread, so I'll move those posts to this thread...
Ayman schreef:Fogive my ignorance but is'nt Oleguer going to jail, over the riot, 6 years ago?
gordonvandekamp schreef:I didn't think there had been any sentencing (or even a conviction?) with regards to Oleguer. It also sounded like the chance he'd ever serve jail time was pretty low (ie first-offense and limited/no jail time).

If nothing else, Wielaert should at least put some pressure for competition among the other center backs. As others have said experience is important, and who else do we have experienced playing in the Eredivisie?

No one else has mentioned it yet, but he won't be available for the UEFA Cup, having already played this year with Twente. I'm not as concerned with that and I've always felt this year should be spent winning the Eredivisie. He's a signing that I think is going to help accomplish that.
Kowalczyk schreef:Oleguer has not been convicted (yet). There was only a charge of two (or three, I forgot) years in prison. According to Spanish law a sentence of three years imprisonment or less, will not be served if it's a first offence.

So, even if the charge will be the actual sentence he will not go to jail.

K.
philippe schreef:Are you sure ? If I remember correctly the recent case of the French supporter from Marseille, he would have to actually do his 3 years time if the French administration had not pleaded in his favour.
Kowalczyk schreef:Not entirely sure... I read something like that, but I don't know if it was accurate.

From what I've read, he can not be actually imprisoned for this case.

K.
Right. Feel free to carry on, folks... :neutral.gif:

K.
Still alive...

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm

If you haven't been jailed yet and if the sentence is shorter than 2 years, you're free. And if I remember well, Oleguer shouldn't be punished that hard if convicted.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di jan 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Situation normal for Oleguer. He had to fight for his place with the Blaugrana and now he'll face the same challenge at Ajax. I think it's best if he is simply used in the center. Silva would probably pitch a fit if he has any more competition for his dwindling playing time at RB.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do jan 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Dutch newspapers De Telegraaf and Algemeen Dagblad report today that Spartak Moscow are interested in buying Oleguer. Danny Blind's reaction: "I didn't hear anything about that."

K.
Still alive...

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » do jan 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Dutch newspapers De Telegraaf and Algemeen Dagblad report today that Spartak Moscow are interested in buying Oleguer. Danny Blind's reaction: "I didn't hear anything about that."

K.
Yeah i readed that yesterday in some russian page, but today Spartak's director Karpin denied that.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do jan 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Ajax are making a big mistake if they decide to sell off Oleguer. His play may have been inconsistent, but better to have experienced depth . Also, Robbie Wielaert is cup tied .
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Re: Oleguer Presas i Renom

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » do okt 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I think this was something people referred to a few pages back when he was signed:

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... -mini-riot
Ajax’s Oleguer caught on camera taking part in Amsterdam mini-riot

Scruffy intellectual Ajax defender Oleguer has caused a stir in the Netherlands after being caught on camera lending his support to an anti-capitalist rally which marched through Amsterdam on Friday, in protest at new laws banning squatting.

Dutch riot police let off tear gas as several hundred protesters threw bricks and smashed up cars on their way through the city. 11 protesters were arrested and two officers taken to hospital.

However, Ajax don’t seem to be particularly bothered about Oleguer’s out-of-work activities, releasing the shoulder-shrugging statement:

We know he was present…players of Ajax can do whatever they want in their free time.

The Ex-Barcelona defender has a reputation for getting himself in trouble with his political campaigning, having previously been arrested in relation to a protest in 2003 and once holding the book launch for the release of his memoirs, Road to Ithaca, in a Barcelona squat.
Love the club's response.

The video's here: http://www.depers.nl/video/392453/Krake ... halen.html

Looks like he was just taking some photos.
:headbang.gif:
AFCA

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr okt 08, 2010 1:17 am

I think Ajax's response is exactly the right one. As long as he behaves himself and doesn't break the law himself (for example by getting involved in the actual violence) he can do whatever he wants and express any political view he wants.

I kind of like Oleguer because of this, because he's different and actually thinks about the world and politics, etc. Most football players don't even have a political view or anything that even looks like it. They live in a bubble and simply don't care.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr okt 08, 2010 8:21 am

He seems to be a nice fellow. :biggthumpup.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr okt 08, 2010 8:36 am

Don't see a big deal here at all, 100% agree with Ko and Phillipe. I assume the march was legal so therefore attending it is also legal. It's great to see a top level sport star who presumably has enough money not to care if they don't want to actually taking an interest in what's going on in the world around them and trying to make a statement about that.

I'll make sure I wear my Oleguer shirt from the season before last next time I attend anything political :excited.gif:

Not surprised this has been picked up but would be interested to know if anyone in NL (or Spain) is actually making a big deal about it or whether our attitude is the prevailing one.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr okt 08, 2010 9:07 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:Not surprised this has been picked up but would be interested to know if anyone in NL (or Spain) is actually making a big deal about it or whether our attitude is the prevailing one.
The latter, I think. Nobody appears to be offended.

Holland has 'shifted to the right' and I notice around me that a majority of the people support the anti-squatting laws ("lazy, smelly wankers who think they can live for free", etc.). But no-one's making a big deal out of the fact that Oleguer was there, in peace.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr okt 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Holland has 'shifted to the right'
K.
Good to hear that and yes, that's why I was asking.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jun 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Formally, Oleguer is still an Ajax player, but he has already left the club. His contract will officially expire on 30 June and will not be renewed.

Which makes him a Former Ajax Player.

If you have anything to say about him, do it quickly. This thread wil be closed down sometime next week.

K.
Still alive...

Gesloten