Obituary for a fansite: AJAX USA (1995-2008)

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » zo apr 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Well, it doesn't come as a surprise, but that's still very sad. I was 'bred with Ajax USA' and until the recent crash, it was my absolute reference and the source of most of my news and mach reports, as it was a mix of high quality, exhaustivity, and unique content. For me, Ajax USA was and will probably stay as the best website ever about Ajax.

Now, I completely understand this decision (though I disagree with the "We’re just not needed any longer" part). I know what it is to run a website, and I already thought to write such a message, but in French of course. So a big thank you to you 2, and to all the other people who contributed to this site.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

SydAjax
Contacteer:

Bericht door SydAjax » ma apr 14, 2008 2:41 am

Wow, yeah seriously guys thanks so much for everything over the years. Being an Ajax fan in the USA is such an unique experience, and AJAX-USA has always not only made me feel like part of a community, but has also fostered the growth of my love for Ajax. I definitely had a bit of a lump in the ol' throat when I saw the obituary, but of course understand you guys' reasons. Maybe someone else wants to take up the torch...(wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean?)
AJAX IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE USA!!!
:ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif:

ajaxnumberone
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxnumberone » ma apr 14, 2008 5:05 am

I'm really sad and feel I couldn't ever read any good articles, good news, history of Ajax, good point of views about Ajax from Jim and MP.

Thank you !! But if you don't have much enough time updating news regularly, weekly, you can update news or anything interesting from your point of views, anything in progress from Ajax monthly. I don't read Ajax USA for news, information, but i read it and enjoy reading your point of views about Ajax, that is what I think Ajax is still living and we have a great website to be proud.

Monthly one article :hypocrite.gif:

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma apr 14, 2008 9:41 am

What more can be added to what has already been said. So all I will say is a big thank you to all of the contributers but especially Jim & Menno who dedicated a huge proportion of their waking hours to this website.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Monkey Tonk

Bericht door Monkey Tonk » ma apr 14, 2008 10:47 am

sgordo schreef:
Now a practical question: what is now the best site to get well-written, current English language Ajax info?
There isn't any. The stuff is out there, but scattered all over the web.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma apr 14, 2008 11:22 am

Monkey Tonk schreef:
sgordo schreef:
Now a practical question: what is now the best site to get well-written, current English language Ajax info?
So are we looking for somebody or a team of people to volunteer to take over the running of the website or to assimilate the match reports etc onto this site?

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma apr 14, 2008 12:56 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
Monkey Tonk schreef:
sgordo schreef:
So are we looking for somebody or a team of people to volunteer to take over the running of the website or to assimilate the match reports etc onto this site?
I'd be willing to contribute the odd match report for games that I've seen.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma apr 14, 2008 1:29 pm

aveslacker schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef:
Monkey Tonk schreef: There isn't any. The stuff is out there, but scattered all over the web.
Dito that - I would only be able to do a few, but would be more than willing to assist with the upkeep of the site.

I guess it comes down to Jim and Menno though.

It does show you what this club, site and our community means to everyone though.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma apr 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks for the site!!

The match reports were always more than just the obligatory facts that you'd find on any site, there was tactical insight, a bit of humour and a bit of opinion as well. It was a proper read from a fan's point of view. And the writing was good quality too.

While the site won't be updated, I hope it will remain in its current form, as I like to read the history section. It's probably the best Ajax history on the internet, way better than the Dutch section of Ajax.nl.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm

DanK schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef: So are we looking for somebody or a team of people to volunteer to take over the running of the website or to assimilate the match reports etc onto this site?
Dito that - I would only be able to do a few, but would be more than willing to assist with the upkeep of the site.

It does show you what this club, site and our community means to everyone though.
I certainly would write some match reports, but to bring them alive I found that what is needed is for some quotes from the relevant parties in Amsterdam.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » ma apr 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks for all your hard work guys, it's much appreciated. I can see how you've come to the decision and as someone who's run websites based on a personal passion, I understand how difficult it can be to continue on after a time. I also understand how the rise in other English language Ajax news sources has helped contribute to this. Thanks again for all your work.

More than anything, I think it's a great idea to leave the historical content available, I really think that's were the site shines. Just last week I went back to read an article about the CL uniforms from 2004-05, and it was great to reference back to that. Basically, all the written historical content, I can only hope gets added to periodically; as a fan it is such a pleasure to read the well-written, knowledgeable and historical perspective that both Jim and Menno have provided. Thanks.

I think the greatest thing the site has given, and what will continue to be, is the community of people here. There is no better Ajax discussion in English on the Internet, everything else is filled with crap and nonsense. I think Ajax USA has everything to do with this and is what brought most of us here. Even without the site, the community it generated will continue on.

Honestly, I rarely go to Ajax USA anymore, I get most of my news through RSS feeds or just visiting other sites as it generally shows up there first. I check Ajaxtalk everyday (sometimes more frequently), though, and that's for the knowledgeable discussion, which I think in a lot of ways is even more invaluable, so thanks for providing that and allowing it to continue, on top of everything else.

Azeri
Contacteer:

Bericht door Azeri » ma apr 14, 2008 5:00 pm

:confused.gif: :laughing.gif:

JohnyAjax

Bericht door JohnyAjax » ma apr 14, 2008 7:25 pm

DanK schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
Over Pasanens Head schreef: So are we looking for somebody or a team of people to volunteer to take over the running of the website or to assimilate the match reports etc onto this site?

I wouldn't want to disappoint you but I think that Menno and Jim have taken their time making this decision. The site was maintained mostly by guest writers this year and I guess they have decided that it may not continue any longer - simply the site cannot remain top quality this way and as Menno and Jim have announced - they simply can't do the job any longer. So, I would like to contribute as much as I can if the site is ''resurrected'' but I think the publishers have pulled the plug when there is nothing else that can be done. Correct me if I am saying something wrong, Jim and Menno.

Anyway i would like to join all those who thank you for the brilliant work. I will miss Ajax USA a lot simply because it was my only way to see how it is really going in my favorite club but I understand the descision.

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » di apr 15, 2008 7:39 am

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:

All I can say is, Thanks Guys, for allowing me into the Ajax family. It's been great fun and has also encouraged me to travel over to Holland more times each season.

If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have got my permanent link.....my Seasoncard.

THANKS

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
34 will always be with us

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di apr 15, 2008 9:12 am

Ajaxusa.net, ajaxusa.us, ajaxusa.org, ajaxusa.info... anyone can go out and register these names, so there's nothing to stop aveslacker/JohnyAjax/OPH/DanK/jamcocteau etc. from launching their own Ajax USA v2.0.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm

First of all, thanks for all the kind words, and also for not abusing us too badly over the decision. :blush.gif:
gordonvandekamp schreef:Honestly, I rarely go to Ajax USA anymore, I get most of my news through RSS feeds or just visiting other sites as it generally shows up there first. I check Ajaxtalk everyday (sometimes more frequently).
That pretty much sums it up. We used to be motivated by the "market need" but for the past two years or so, it's been mostly a matter of maintaining the site for it's own sake. Once it got over 10 years straight, we felt obligated to keep it up to date. But... obligation is just no substitute for desire, and our performance suffered. (I'm talking about Ajax USA here, not sex...)

So it feels good to finally come to terms with it, and yes, we did agonize over the decision for some time. Menno and I both felt quite sad when it came down to actually posting the announcement. For me, I struggle to remember a time when I cared about Ajax but did not have a web site in order to express it. (Thirteen years is a long time, even for an old fart like me.) I feel a bit like a guy who has retired and now wonders WTF I'm going to do with myself. :biggrin.gif:

For sure, this Ajax Talk community will only become more enjoyable for me, as I can read it and not feel guilty about failing to post a news or match report before stories break on this board.

And yes, the legacy Ajax USA site will remain up and available for the forseeable future. In fact, the CMS system that hosts the site is from my company, so I will NEED to continue tinkering with it, implementing new features and widgets, etc. But that will only be for experimentation. I won't be updating the home page much at all. I will most likely post links to the "About Ajax USA" thread if I have something you guys might like to try out, like a new "web 2.0" function of the CMS. You fellow geeks will know who you are, and will self-select, no doubt.

Anyway, back to lurk mode, but thanks again for everything.

pizza 5

Bericht door pizza 5 » di apr 15, 2008 4:13 pm

This news is a complete bummer.I know I dont get here very ofton but the site will be sadly missed,many thanks to Jim and Menno for bringing the whole thing together.Without this site I would not have got to meet the most amazing group of idiots you could imagine and travelled not only to Holland but all over Europe(excluding Portugal) following the team.There seems to be some talk of contributing match reports and if it helps I would be happy to do two or three a season for games that I get to.
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.....

ozzerdibazio
Contacteer:

Bericht door ozzerdibazio » wo apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm

I am only repeating what has been said, but thank you all the same. I checked this site everyday; it was the best bar none for me personally.

Thanks.

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » wo apr 16, 2008 8:27 pm

The end of an era.

I haven't been here much lately, but I will never forget Ajax USA. I spent a lot of time here once, and my passion for Ajax was definitely affected by this once brilliant website.

Thank you Menno and thank you Jim for all the many many hours I know you've been spending here.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

__earth
Contacteer:

Bericht door __earth » do apr 17, 2008 2:33 pm

AjaxUSA was one of those little things that made life a little bit easier for me to swallow when I was in Ann Arbor. I thank you for that.
but don't listen to me. I'm a pessimist.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma apr 21, 2008 3:36 am

I enjoyed the ride. Thanks.
meh :|

SydAjax
Contacteer:

Bericht door SydAjax » ma apr 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Thoughts?

http://afcajaxusa.blogspot.com/

Obviously it won't be the same, but its a start...

__earth
Contacteer:

Bericht door __earth » ma apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm

syd, yeah, that will do for a start!

you might want to use wordpress instead though. It is far easier to manage.
but don't listen to me. I'm a pessimist.

SydAjax
Contacteer:

Bericht door SydAjax » ma apr 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Seriously, if anyone wants to help me with this page, please let me know, whats there now took me about 1/2 an hour this morning. A little hard work could actually turn out a decent page.

SydAjax
Contacteer:

Bericht door SydAjax » di apr 22, 2008 3:04 am

Just FYI, the URL for my site has changed....
http://ajaciedinamerica.blogspot.com/

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions/help!

Plaats reactie