Gregory van der Wiel

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: Gregory van der Wiel

Bericht door Orange14 » ma nov 30, 2009 3:09 pm

SPL schreef:A Madrid would like him but evidently would not pay more than 10m euros for him . Ajax will say no to any sale in January . If he plays well in the WC and a big team comes in for him (A Madrid are a small bunch of non descripts imo) and offers well over 15m I can see him going.

As for January well the club have said Ogararu and Silva can go also Wielaert so they are not going to let their no 1 right back go !!
Athletico has some good players but a rubbish manager (they seem to change them yearly). Their young Argentinian striker Aguero is apparently the target of Chelsea (one of the few clubs with no money problems thanks to Roman A.) for €70 million or so.

As for back ups at right back if we do manage to unload Ogararu and Silva, I suppose Anita could slot in the right back position and move Urby back (not ideal, but van der Wiel may pick up a yellow card suspension along the way).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di dec 01, 2009 1:22 am

Man City are after him . Well their scouts watched him . Again I believe Ajax will tell anyone to piss off in January but we will have to wait for next summer.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 26, 2010 9:14 am

I'm not saying this guy is a superstar or even 'as good as Trabelsi' (there's still a lot he has to learn), but one thing he's definitely a lot better at than Trabelsi was. Hatem Trabelsi scored two goals in 99 appearances for Ajax, whereas Gregory van der Wiel's goal against AZ was his 6th in 60 appearances. Four goals so far this season; that sure as hell ain't bad for a right fullback.

And the funny thing is: he scored all of his goals in exactly the same way. Always a long 'one-two' over the right flank, he gets it back and then BANG. Nice one. Very good goal against AZ.

K.
Still alive...

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di jan 26, 2010 2:59 pm

The only complaints I have about van der Wiel is that he has almost no left foot and that he sometimes zones out of matches getting caught out of position. The second is a result of inexperience, the first more problematic if he fancies a move to a higher league. If you watch him coming forward, he always wants the ball on his right foot which causes problems when he cuts into the middle of the field. It a subtle point but one that he needs to work on. A better left foot would make him even more dangerous on the attack (similarly to Dani Alves).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di jan 26, 2010 3:22 pm

He doesn't have a head either. :hypocrite.gif:
Maybe that Kerlon can show him that he can also touch the ball with that body part.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr feb 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Vicious old woman from Turin reported to want Van der Wiel badly. Screw her.
Appie, stay strong !

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr feb 19, 2010 3:23 pm

MOFO... I hate those italian old whores!!!
May the Force be with you

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » vr feb 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr feb 19, 2010 5:13 pm

philippe schreef:Vicious old woman from Turin reported to want Van der Wiel badly. Screw her.
The only possible reason is that they found out van der Wiel is faster than all of their midfielders and more dangerous on the attack. :biggrin.gif: He still can't defend and that's a necessity for Italian football. This is another dumb rumor.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr feb 19, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks Orange when you say he cannot defend . I keep thinking is it only me but I do not think he is a good defender. In most games he is out of position when the other team attack and not just the 2 times Juve scored.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr feb 19, 2010 7:47 pm

I think he can defend, but only when he wants to and only with his feet. I'm tempted to say it's already not too bad for an Ajax defender... :smallgrin.gif: (But I have to say we have seen some improvement this season)

Khraa

Bericht door Khraa » vr feb 19, 2010 8:10 pm

I'd rather see a real defender in his place. If we ever want to play 433 (or even better 343) we need defenders at left back and right back. He's more a midfielder than a defender.
Alright, stop this nonsense. It is getting way too silly!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm

I could be wrong, but didn't he come up as a central defender when he was in the youth system and only recently moved to right fullback? I think he has the quality to be a truly fine player but as others have noted he sometimes gets caught daydreaming out on the pitch. He does have excellent speed to force dangerous overlaps but tends to rely on toe pokes to get the ball away from opponents. He really doesn't tackle very well (if at all as I can't remember the last time he did so). I've commented before that he is also a largely right footed player and needs to work on his left. There is future here but I don't think he's physically ready to play at one of the bigger European clubs.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr feb 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Orange14 schreef:I could be wrong, but didn't he come up as a central defender when he was in the youth system and only recently moved to right fullback?
You're right. He made his debut while Stam was Injured.

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » za feb 20, 2010 10:27 am

Juventus Are Not Interested In Ajax Defender Gregory Van Der Wiel - Agent
Player's agent denies Bianconeri interest..

Gregory Van Der Wiel’s agent has confirmed Juventus have not shown any interest in the Ajax full-back.

The youngster has been linked with a host of clubs in recent months however agent Franjo Vranjkovic has confirmed Juve are not amongst them.

“I deny absolutely all the reports that have come out in recently, Juventus are not interested in my client,” Vranjkovic told calciomercato.it.

Vranjkovic did confirm that the Bianconeri were indeed already looking into future signings and that he has been in contact with the club, however he refused to divulge the name of the player.

“I spoke with Juventus, in particular with [sporting director] Alessio Secco, but it was about another player, not about Gregory. I can't at present, reveal the name of that player," he concluded.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » za feb 20, 2010 10:59 am

I thought his agent was Hakim Slimani ? Maybe he has two agents (or more) or maybe it's another fake agent like Vincenzo Morabito (who pretented in Italian media he was Huntelaar's agent)...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 20, 2010 12:40 pm

The name of the other playe ris Luis Suarez but Juve are not abig club and he wont join them.Our press
says he will join Man U or , lol Arsenal . They would not pay 30m on a player.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za feb 20, 2010 12:42 pm

I should add I found your comments on V d Wiel interesting. I watch our games and do not think he is much better than Urby at defending.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr jan 28, 2011 12:37 am

Okay, so reportedly Barcelona are preparing a 20 million euro bid for Van der Wiel...

He's not a bad little player, but with all due respect: if Barça really offer that kind of money, Ajax should go for it. Van der Wiel is replaceable; 20 million would be an offer we can't refuse.

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr jan 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Okay, so reportedly Barcelona are preparing a 20 million euro bid for Van der Wiel...

He's not a bad little player, but with all due respect: if Barça really offer that kind of money, Ajax should go for it. Van der Wiel is replaceable; 20 million would be an offer we can't refuse.

K.
We would be fools to turn that down. We could sell VdW and Suarez this winter and be financially solvent, even if we had to buy a replacement for Suarez on short notice.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di apr 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Bayern Munich are reported to have agreed to pay 10m euros for him .

Last summer we turned down 17m ! Chelsea Man City and Barca have all been looking at him and if one of them wants him I would imagine they will pay nearer 15m.

If we do end up with 10m I would have no complaint .Last season he was good this season crap.
He has been moderate in defending and poor coming forward ,on current form I cannot understand why all the big clubs are looking at him.He gives the impression that he just wants a big move. Maybe Ajax and his agent know those big clubs are not going to buy him so its Germany's no 3 club!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di apr 19, 2011 7:25 pm

SPL schreef:Bayern Munich are reported to have agreed to pay 10m euros for him .

Last summer we turned down 17m ! Chelsea Man City and Barca have all been looking at him and if one of them wants him I would imagine they will pay nearer 15m.

If we do end up with 10m I would have no complaint .Last season he was good this season crap.
He has been moderate in defending and poor coming forward ,on current form I cannot understand why all the big clubs are looking at him.He gives the impression that he just wants a big move. Maybe Ajax and his agent know those big clubs are not going to buy him so its Germany's no 3 club!
He is a decent Eredivisie player and that's about it. I've been saying this all along that with his limitations (no left foot, too slow to move up in attack, and an average defender) he cannot play at the highest levels. Sure he could be a decent mid-table player in England but he's too limited for the top teams. I think everyone got excited because he was the starting right back for the Dutch NT that went to the WC finals. By that measure, Gio van Bronkhorst should still be playing. Bayern will now move Philip Lahm back to the left side and I predict that Lahm will be back on the right no later than January of next season (if this transfer does go through). Ajax, take the money and deposit it before the check bounces.

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » di apr 19, 2011 7:43 pm

don't know if i trust tz and the bayern story. i believe he will end up at chelsea when bosingwa leaves this summer and we'll get more than 10 mill

acab

Bericht door acab » di apr 19, 2011 9:30 pm

I don't care where, i'm ready to take him on my back lo munich, london or new york, if some club pay us for him :ajaxsmiley.gif:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 20, 2011 9:00 am

I am sooooo fed up with Van der Wiel. I can hardly stand him anymore. Mr Underestimation.

And he thinks he's done at Ajax - and ready for a major club... My God. The guy really doesn't have a clue, does he?

10M. Good price. Bye now.

K.
Still alive...

Gesloten