Jan Vertonghen

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mar 14, 2008 2:34 pm

DanK schreef:Verthongen enjoying Koster life
Jan Verthongen says life has been easier for him at Ajax since the arrival of coach Adrie Koster.

The Belgian international is a regular starter under the new coach, after the complete and utter failure of Urby Emanuelson at left back.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/verthong ... fe-108172/
Fixed your post.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » ma jul 21, 2008 4:39 pm

According to de Telegraaf, he's extended his contract, which was set to expire in 2011, to 2013. Looks like he's set to be first-choice in defense at present. I think he's a better midfielder than defender, but can't see him competing at that position with the current squad.

Bert
Contacteer:

Bericht door Bert » ma jul 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Actually, he hasn't extended yet. According to de Telegraaf it won't take much longer, though.
Nog steeds eens met Boem.

En met niemand anders!

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » ma jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Thanks for the correction, my Dutch is still a work in progress.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » ma jul 21, 2008 6:11 pm

I hope that Jan Vertonghen will have a long career at Ajax, but a short stint in the Belgian Olympic team. Our defense is thin enough with Vertonghen and Vermaelen.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » do sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Is it true that we renewed his contract until 2013? :confused.gif:

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm

The link mentioned on the Ajax Netwerk report is De Telegraf. So, I'll take it with a grain of salt. There is an article featuring Jan Vertonghen on Ajax.nl today. I didn't see any notation about 2013 in the article.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do sep 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Blind3 schreef:The link mentioned on the Ajax Netwerk report is De Telegraf. So, I'll take it with a grain of salt.
It's probably true, but premature.

De Telegraaf have more anonymous 'sources' at the ArenA than any other newspaper in Holland, which makes them the most interesting newspaper for Ajax news. The fact that they don't really care about the 'code' of journalism, makes it even more 'interesting'.

In general, they feel that being the first to announce something, is actually more important than being 100% sure that it's true before they throw it out there. In other words: they publish premature news. All the time.

In most cases, confirmation will follow the next day and they can be pleased with themselves ("We had it first!"), but in some cases - every once in a while - they are a bit too fast to the trigger and end up looking like a bunch of tits, the most famous examples being "Bergkamp will return to Ajax!" (they claimed this a few times) and "Co Adriaanse will be sacked tomorrow!" (which did not happen).

In this particular case, I'm sure they're right (or will be some time soon).

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo okt 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Vertonghen has extended to 2013. I see an article headed he was not interested in joining Middlesbrough for 3 times the salary. If this is true good for him as I rate him and he has been in Amsterdam for about 6 years now. If he develops and one of the really big English clubs come in for him in a year or 2 he probably will go .

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr okt 10, 2008 4:37 pm

I'm thrilled at the finalization of this extension . Refreshing to see Jan Vertonghen's loyalty. I wish him only success. If he continues to play the way he has , no doubt he'll get a chance a a larger club the Boro.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mar 02, 2009 8:12 am

Today we will hear more about the extent of Jan's hamstring injury. It is impossible to say anything about that immediately after it happened. The muscles have to 'calm down' first. The day after is the day for diagnosis.

Expect him to be sidelined for up to six weeks at least, is my gut feeling... Which is very bad news with the Marseille games coming up.

K.
Still alive...

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mar 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Today we will hear more about the extent of Jan's hamstring injury. It is impossible to say anything about that immediately after it happened. The muscles have to 'calm down' first. The day after is the day for diagnosis.

Expect him to be sidelined for up to six weeks at least, is my gut feeling... Which is very bad news with the Marseille games coming up.

K.
Telegraaf has a story that he won't be evaluated until Wednesday. My Dutch is only passable on some of this but it looks like the swelling is too great to do an MRI. Your gut feeling may be correct in which case, this season may be over for him (I don't think they want to risk reinjury).

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Little tear in the hamstring.

Four to six weeks.

Which means: six at least.

Six weeks, starting today, would mean a return around April 15th, just in time for PSV away.

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo mar 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Little tear in the hamstring.

Four to six weeks.

Which means: six at least.

Six weeks, starting today, would mean a return around April 15th, just in time for PSV away.

K.
Since it's a hamstring, I would give it another two weeks. Those things are tricky.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

martinkohout

Re: Jan Vertonghen

Bericht door martinkohout » za jul 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks in part to the influence of his buddy Vermaelen, Vertonghen "has stated that his long-term future lies in the Premier League," according to this story (http://www.goal.com/en/news/462/netherl ... eague-move) on the always reliable goal.com.

"... the duo still speak to each other every day. Vermaelen's stories about England have strengthened Vertonghen's desire to ply his trade in the Premier League in the future."

Can we ask Vermaelen to STFU? :1evil.gif:

And how about this little gem? "Vermaelen is like a role model to me. His life is all about football and he's extremely disciplined. I'm more laid-back than he is. Thomas isn't the type of person to go out for a drink on a regular basis, unlike me."

Are he and Mickey hanging out together? :smallgrin.gif:
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do jul 30, 2009 11:01 am

He has been mentioned with Barca. Barca would like a young defensive mf and the local paper lists a few names and Jan is one of them. He is not ready for such a move and this is clearly just newspaper talk.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr jul 31, 2009 10:06 pm

SPL schreef:He has been mentioned with Barca. Barca would like a young defensive mf and the local paper lists a few names and Jan is one of them. He is not ready for such a move and this is clearly just newspaper talk.
Am in Barca on holiday this week. Have not seen anything in the local newspapers about this. He would be third choice behind Toure and Keita; not a good place to be.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Snyde

Bericht door Snyde » vr jul 31, 2009 11:27 pm

Actually there is a real possibility of him being fourth choice behind The Yaya, Keita and Busquets. We are only looking for backup (or cover) for the midfield. But I believe that Vertonghen is technically skilled enough to play CM for us as well. So we could have five players (the previous three, Vertonghen and Iniesta) competing for two midfield spots. The key is that Pep likes to rotate alot and we will have many games (upto 66 I believe) so it is not as bad, I believe.

BTW here is one site quoting the Catalan Daily "Sport" regarding Vertognhen:
FCB Transfers
Als wij de bal hebben, kennen zij niet scoren. - Johan Cruijff

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » za aug 01, 2009 12:08 am

Can't see Ajax letting him go this season, especially after selling Vermalaen. How long is his contract til? He's still relatively young and I wouldn't be surprised to see him here for two full seasons more. Of course, being Ajax, we could sell him this December.
AFCA

Snyde

Bericht door Snyde » za aug 01, 2009 6:07 am

gordonvandekamp schreef:Can't see Ajax letting him go this season, especially after selling Vermalaen. How long is his contract til? He's still relatively young and I wouldn't be surprised to see him here for two full seasons more. Of course, being Ajax, we could sell him this December.
:smallgrin.gif: Harsh!

IMO Barca are just testing the market for options. Nothing even close to serious yet. Actually the most serious thought being that a deal with Juve to get Poulsen. Though nothing concrete has happened in that direction either. Link

The fact is we are quite seriously pushing for Javier Mascherano and Cesc Fabregas. Source But due to inflated prices and the fact that Barca already spent such a huge amount for Zlatan we may end up not signing anyone as well. Source

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 01, 2009 11:03 am

I like Jan and he is very versatile but has played left back and centre back mainly although he is a defensive midfielder. I doubt Ajax would let him go and hope he stays another 2 years. He could easily
play for someone like Bolton or Blackburn but I think he could improve and end up somewhere better.
Not sure he is ready for Barca yet.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 01, 2009 9:35 pm

gordonvandekamp schreef:Can't see Ajax letting him go this season, especially after selling Vermalaen. How long is his contract til? He's still relatively young and I wouldn't be surprised to see him here for two full seasons more. Of course, being Ajax, we could sell him this December.
I think he signed a contract extension this past season but am not sure for how long (maybe 3 more?).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Snyde

Bericht door Snyde » za aug 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Orange14 schreef:
I think he signed a contract extension this past season but am not sure for how long (maybe 3 more?).
That would probably make him quite costly then. What would be your estimate of the price at which Ajax will be willing to sell? If Barca does want to buy a back up, they definitely wouldn't want to spend more than 10M.

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » za aug 01, 2009 10:05 pm

perhaps barca should have thought of this before the loaned keirrison to benfica

screw 'em
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

Snyde

Bericht door Snyde » za aug 01, 2009 10:52 pm

bluedaddy19 schreef:perhaps barca should have thought of this before the loaned keirrison to benfica

screw 'em
:1evil.gif:
Well you're right, if we wanted a back up and and wanted him cheap we should've used the players we're sending on loan to sweeten the deal. It is one reason why some believe that we will get Poulsen from Juve (sent Caceres on loan)
or maybe we might try to get Di María from Benfica (or something like the first option on him)

But the fact is that language is a problem and for youth fresh off the boat from Brazil it is always hard to adapt. Going to Portugal should ease that process while playing in a reasonable league, adapting to Europe and playing in Europa. Not too bad a thing by any measure.

Gesloten