New Players for Ajax

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Amol

Re: New Players for Ajax

Bericht door Amol » wo aug 26, 2020 2:22 pm

If Bartomeu somehow manages to make Messi stay, I think that's going to be curtains for Koeman already.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma sep 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Apparently we are going after Sean Klaiber (Utrecht RB) and Davy Klaassen. I'm extremely underwhelmed. Have no more words.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » ma sep 28, 2020 10:14 pm

Maybe Klaiber is just a one year solution, because we can't get the player we want this year???
May the Force be with you

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma sep 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Just bite the bullet and let Timber/Rensch play there as backup choices. Can't be any worse than spending money on Klaiber. I don't understand it at all.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di sep 29, 2020 12:58 am

Amol schreef:
ma sep 28, 2020 10:04 pm
Apparently we are going after Sean Klaiber (Utrecht RB) and Davy Klaassen. I'm extremely underwhelmed. Have no more words.
I don't know much about Klaiber. I will lose all confidence in Overmars if he brings Klaassen come back. Alvarez is a better MF (yes, I know a lot of the Dutch supporters don't like him).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di sep 29, 2020 11:45 am

Reading comments of guys on Showtime. Very few happy.

We do have lots of youth coming through but our cover at right defence is Timber and Rensch. Both look the real deal but if we
are without Mazraoui for a CL game we do need a more experienced player.If we sign someone like Fosu-Mensah or better then we pay a big salary and they will want to start.We need a decent Eredivisie class of back up. Kleiber means nothing to me so cannot comment.

I am one of those who does not rate Alvarez. Martinez is much better in that MF role but will be needed as back up for Blind and Nico as we have no one else.

Klaassen is a limited MF but if his signing means we get rid of Alvarez then I wont complain.Kudus,Gravenberch,Taylor are the real deal but we do need an experienced leader type.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di sep 29, 2020 12:41 pm

SPL schreef:
di sep 29, 2020 11:45 am
Klaassen is a limited MF but if his signing means we get rid of Alvarez then I wont complain.Kudus,Gravenberch,Taylor are the real deal but we do need an experienced leader type.
Would Klaassen be willing to sit on the bench? I cannot see him starting over any of the current roster players including Taylor!
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » di sep 29, 2020 5:19 pm

not too excited about klaasen either but he did not play badly actually at bremen (12 goals, 12 assists in 65 games). i follow the bundesliga closely and he's probably their best player and always hard working. not sure we have better options.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di sep 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Mixed feelings about Klaassen, we don't have experienced midfielders, 2 are teens, 2 are 20, 1 is barely over 20, as a fringe/squad player Klaassen can help them develop. But where would he fit in the midfield? If it starts as Martinez, Gravenberch and Kudus ?

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di sep 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Where would Klaassen play? Is this the end of the Alvarez experiment? Would he replace Gravenberch or would he slot in at #10?

If it’s the end of the Alvarez experiment, then are we saying that Martinez isn’t good enough for the DM role?

Also there is the matter of us spending 12million and him (rightly so) not wanting to sit on the bench.

Too many questions.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di sep 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Has Klaassen ever played as a defensive midfielder for Bremen? Thought he was number 6 there, according to some fans he didn't do too badly for them. Still I can't see him setting the field alight at Ajax. If he is a defensive midfielder then the underlying weakness of the team may be exposed.

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » wo sep 30, 2020 1:46 am

he plays in a much deeper role at bremen than he used to at ajax

and we have signed klaiber for 5 million that can go up to 7 million :confused.gif:

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo sep 30, 2020 3:52 am

kezme44 schreef:
wo sep 30, 2020 1:46 am

and we have signed klaiber for 5 million that can go up to 7 million :confused.gif:
Transfers coming in thick and fast now. We already signed Klaiber and have agreed personal terms with Klaassen.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo sep 30, 2020 10:11 am

Let’s file Klaiber under “definitely not a panic buy” eh? I hope he’ll mainly be on the bench.

This is about the time Overmars usually says “we’re gonna do it with the players we have”, but I feel like the squad is in a weird state.

I’m worried about cover for the rest of the back line. And it seems like we don’t have a proven #9, apart from KJH who probably won’t start many games.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo sep 30, 2020 11:29 am

Just looked at all the comments on Ajaxshowtime.Not one fan is happy with Kleiber.Seems like we have paid 5m for a very moderate full back who will be a bench warmer.Mazraoui does pick up injures so this guy may have to play CL games!!

A better full back would want to play ie Tete has gone to Fulham for 3m but he would want to be first choice.Fosu-Mensah also would not cost much but again he would want to be first choice.

How soon will we pay the 5m to Utrecht as Barca are going to pay us the 20m over 5 years!!

Not impressed with Overmars over these deals.He will regain my favour if he gets rid of Alvarez in the next week.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo sep 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Ajax need to be very careful with money right now. Match day revenue is going to be almost non-existant because of COVID-19 A lot of Eredivisie teams won't have any cash flow to meet player salaries.

I still don't like the Klaassen transfer but that's me and I'm in a minority regarding Alvarez's ability. A bunch of Genoa players have tested positive and the Italian league may have to shut down for a period of time. England continues the ban on football attendance. How long can this go on and teams remain solvent?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo sep 30, 2020 1:03 pm

kezme44 schreef:
wo sep 30, 2020 1:46 am
Werder play with two holding MFs. Klaassen very rarely attacks in the penalty box the way he did at Ajax. I think his passing has improved somewhat but it's still not top rate.

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » wo sep 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Orange14 schreef:
wo sep 30, 2020 1:02 pm
Ajax need to be very careful with money right now. Match day revenue is going to be almost non-existant because of COVID-19 A lot of Eredivisie teams won't have any cash flow to meet player salaries.

I still don't like the Klaassen transfer but that's me and I'm in a minority regarding Alvarez's ability. A bunch of Genoa players have tested positive and the Italian league may have to shut down for a period of time. England continues the ban on football attendance. How long can this go on and teams remain solvent?
i'm a bit perplexed by the klaiber and klaasen moves. kenneth perez (remember him!) stated that we waay overpaid for klaiber, and i agree. we could have promoted one of the youth players who have as much international football experience as does klaiber. also, can't ekkelenkamp play in a holding mf role? we loaned out eiting, but could he not have been slotted into that position either? he had a very good first game at huddersfield, and together with botman, seems to have been given up on by overmans though, botman especially, is having a great season so far.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za okt 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Klaassen is starting for Werder today.

We always complain when teams come after our players on the next to last day of the transfer period. Ajax seem to be doing just this same thing. I don't like it!!! Our club should be better than this.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za okt 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Agree ,so why do all teams wait until the last 2 days. Davy played 75mins today ,not the action of someone about to be sold.They want 15m we offered 12m ,not sure he is coming.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo okt 04, 2020 2:33 pm

Klaassen transfer agreed.

We could do with a creative MF and another striker ie Labyad a joke in that position ,sadly KJH too old,Traore is not good enough

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo okt 04, 2020 3:58 pm

I guess we will see how the Klaassen transfer works out. I hope his ball handling skills are better than when he left. IMO, this is a waste of money but I could be wrong.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma okt 05, 2020 3:11 pm

I am completely baffled by the Klaassen transfer. He doesn't play in an advanced #10 role anymore, but plays a slightly advanced DM as a part of a pair of DMs. We already have Gravenberch/Kudus who can play in that role.

I've never truly understood us giving up on Botman and now Lang.

Bakker has Raiola as his agent and was forcing a move.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma okt 05, 2020 4:49 pm

Amol schreef:
ma okt 05, 2020 3:11 pm

My understanding is the training staff did not believe Botman could play in a high line defense, that he was susceptible to being beaten with space at his back. They felt Perie was a better player in that regard. The Lang decision makes me wonder as well.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma okt 05, 2020 4:52 pm

Orange14 schreef:
ma okt 05, 2020 4:49 pm
Amol schreef:
ma okt 05, 2020 3:11 pm

My understanding is the training staff did not believe Botman could play in a high line defense, that he was susceptible to being beaten with space at his back. The Lang decision makes me wonder as well.
I read that about Botman as well - however that is something which can be taught.

Klaassen confirmed https://twitter.com/AFCAjax/status/1313 ... 63267?s=20

Plaats reactie