New Players for Ajax

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » do jan 03, 2008 5:21 am

orange goblin schreef:... and a successor-backup for huntelaar (don't think I am crazy: i like the South Korean Choi Jae Jin, that sometimes is linked to us).

someone yet to be linked to us is young US forward jozy altidore, who BADLY wants to play for AJAX

another US international whose dream club is AJAX is LB heath pearce

heck, we could have several young yanks linked soon if verbeek does come over from h'veen... word is he would bring bradley along with him and he has twice tried to buy feilhaber (speaking of young #10's)
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » do jan 03, 2008 1:19 pm

bluedaddy19 schreef:someone yet to be linked to us is young US forward jozy altidore, who BADLY wants to play for AJAX

heck, we could have several young yanks linked soon if verbeek does come over from h'veen... word is he would bring bradley along with him and he has twice tried to buy feilhaber (speaking of young #10's)
How do you know Pearce and Altidore want to join Ajax so badly, Bluedaddy?

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do jan 03, 2008 1:41 pm

Some reports state we are looking at Trabelsi!! He has not joined anyone since leaving Man City in the summer.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do jan 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Thomas schreef:
bluedaddy19 schreef:someone yet to be linked to us is young US forward jozy altidore, who BADLY wants to play for AJAX

How do you know Pearce and Altidore want to join Ajax so badly, Bluedaddy?
Ajax has a very good reputation among American fans from what I've seen. Bluedaddy is a journalist, so he might have talked to those guys about it.

I personally would have loved to have seen Freddy Adu join Ajax instead of Benfica. He could really have done well in Amsterdam.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

cdnajaxfan

Bericht door cdnajaxfan » do jan 03, 2008 7:35 pm

aveslacker schreef:
I personally would have loved to have seen Freddy Adu join Ajax instead of Benfica. He could really have done well in Amsterdam.
I agree. He went into MLS too soon. He would be a better player if he had let Ajax develop him.

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » do jan 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Thomas schreef: How do you know Pearce and Altidore want to join Ajax so badly, Bluedaddy?

Yup, from Heath. He talks every few weeks about wanting to play for us, it's his dream club.

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » do jan 03, 2008 8:00 pm

I know a little something about some of the current MLS-players, but I don't know Heath all too well. Is he good enough for Ajax?

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do jan 03, 2008 8:53 pm

cdnajaxfan schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
I agree. He went into MLS too soon. He would be a better player if he had let Ajax develop him.
I don't think he could have gone to Ajax at the time he signed with MLS -- he was 14 or 15.

In any event, I agree with you -- it would have been nice if he'd gone to Ajax instead.

Oh well. If he keeps it up, he's going to develop into a pretty good player at Benfica.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do jan 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Thomas schreef:I know a little something about some of the current MLS-players, but I don't know Heath all too well. Is he good enough for Ajax?
As far as I know, he's never played in MLS. He went overseas to Denmark and then signed with Hansa Rostock.

Is he good enough for Ajax? Well, he's a better defender than Urby. He plays a pretty good long ball out of the back. I'm not sure he's the next Paolo Maldini, or even the next Maxwell, but he's probably an upgrade over the current group.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

cdnajaxfan

Bericht door cdnajaxfan » do jan 03, 2008 11:37 pm

aveslacker schreef:
cdnajaxfan schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
I don't think he could have gone to Ajax at the time he signed with MLS -- he was 14 or 15.

In any event, I agree with you -- it would have been nice if he'd gone to Ajax instead.

Oh well. If he keeps it up, he's going to develop into a pretty good player at Benfica.
There was a story that when he was that young he had a girlfriend that was a dutch tennis player. They had linked him with a possible move to Ajax so he could be with her. Maybe he could have played on the youth squad?

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do jan 03, 2008 11:43 pm

cdnajaxfan schreef:
aveslacker schreef:
cdnajaxfan schreef: I agree. He went into MLS too soon. He would be a better player if he had let Ajax develop him.

There was a story that when he was that young he had a girlfriend that was a dutch tennis player. They had linked him with a possible move to Ajax so he could be with her. Maybe he could have played on the youth squad?
Maybe, but if I recall correctly there is a ban on the international transfer of players below a certain age (I think 17) that only clubs like Real Madrid, Chelsea or Man U are allowed to break.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » do jan 03, 2008 11:54 pm

Today I see that Boulha's agent says he'd like to go to Ajax.

Thomas schreef:I know a little something about some of the current MLS-players, but I don't know Heath all too well. Is he good enough for Ajax?
Heath went directly from college to FC Nordsjaellend, then moved on a free to Hansa Rostock last summer.

He is a very solid defender, doesn't foul a lot, very good speed, has a good cross and likes to get forward. He also would give anything to wear the shirt and play Ajax football.

As noted, he's not to Maxwell level yet, but he's only 22 and has a lot of tools. I think he would greatly benefit from some Ajax schooling and could become a fan favorite.

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr jan 04, 2008 9:21 am

For my information: how are the US-players being educated in football? Which style do they follow? Is a sort of English model, meaning a bit of fysical play or do they follow the Dutch school with more technique training?

Often you see US players playing in England, but they fail to make an impression in the rest of Europe. When Ajax is seeking a defender, it automaticly means that the defender has to be capable of doing more than just defending. Are that type of players around in the US?

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » vr jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm

The biggest problem with US football is that often the players don't reach the MLS until they're about 23. Before that, many of them waste their time at college level.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr jan 04, 2008 2:58 pm

Thomas schreef:The biggest problem with US football is that often the players don't reach the MLS until they're about 23. Before that, many of them waste their time at college level.
These days there are fewer MLS players coming out of college. Many of the good players go to the residency at Bradenton, Florida and then straight to MLS or to Europe.

Having said that, even players who go directly to MLS or Europe while skipping college are at a tactical disadvantage, and to a lesser extent a technical one, when compared with players of the same age in Europe. MLS is not a particularly tactical league (although the level of play is better than people who are not familiar with it might expect). It emphasizes athleticism, fitness and pace over technique and tactics.

Nonetheless, there are several young players who are breaking that mold: Adu, Rogers, Altidore, Bradley, Szetela and Zizzo for example. It's no surprise, then, that all but one of those players are overseas and the one who isn't (Altidore) will probably be overseas soon.

All in all, when you consider that the league is only about 12 years old, I think the standard of play (and also tactical and technical capabilities) has improved tremendously. I'm not sure it's ever going to equal the EPL or anything, but it's getting better every year.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » zo jan 06, 2008 9:00 pm

I didn't know that we were interested in Landzaat

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 29,00.html

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » ma jan 07, 2008 7:20 pm

we have apparently made contact over steven dufour again

ofey
Contacteer:

A new center half and a goal-getting striker...

Bericht door ofey » di jan 08, 2008 4:15 am

The way things stand, I think the priority should be the backline with a new center half the priority. Here are a couple of likely departures over the next 12months:

KJH, Maduro, Urby, Heitinga, Kennedy and Urzaiz.

You'd say those guys are almost 100% certain not to be at the ArenA come this time next year.

We currently employ Maduro, Heitinga, Vertongen and Van Der Wiel at center half and 2 of those are certain departures with the other 2 still too young to be considered safe options. Martin Van Geel should start picking up a couple of quality center halves with at least 2 coming in this January period to bed in before 2 more in the close season. Names that have come up include Khalid Boularouz and Andre Ooijer. Perhaps a nice Eastern European or South American non nonsense sweeper may be good but finding another Chivu or Marcio Santos may be hard to come by. Whatever it is, I see this as the major problem.

We should address this problem about our forward line too. The wingers are more or less safe with Leonardo, Suarez, Rommendahl, Luque, Perez, Goosens all being able to play in those positions but besides KJH and retiree Urzaiz, we don't have a target man. Doesn't this worry anyone else?

I say stop bothering with creative midfielders (we don't need Landzaat) and address these 2 key issues ASAP.
AJACIED

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di jan 08, 2008 10:15 am

Why is Kennedy certain to leave within 12 months? (sorry if I missed something, I've just been away for a long time from the forum)
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

ozzerdibazio
Contacteer:

Bericht door ozzerdibazio » di jan 08, 2008 10:29 am

Because he is shit and going bald.

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di jan 08, 2008 10:40 am

ozzerdibazio schreef:Because he is shit and going bald.
I guess that's a reason as good as any...

So, he's been shit? I haven't seen much this season. From what i could tell in the beginning of the season he seemed to lack confidence in one-on-one situations, always taking the simple pass alternative instead of being dangerous. If that is still the case I see your point.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that he was injured for quite some time?

(mods: sorry for the Kennedy Q in this thread....)
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

ozzerdibazio
Contacteer:

Bericht door ozzerdibazio » di jan 08, 2008 11:57 am

Hi Per,

Obviously it is just my opinion but I have not been impressed. I have seen a few games where he has just not made any impact, and like you said just didn't look dangerous.

Saying that, having had a think I would keep him becasue maybe when he gains confidence he can reproduce the form he had at Twente.

I guess the injury hasn't helped, and I liked him alot at Twente so like most of the team at the moment maybe the best is yet to come.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di jan 08, 2008 1:41 pm

Ajax made an offer for Groningen's right back : Ajax wil deze maand graag Bruno Silva van FC Groningen inlijven, maar directeur Hans Nijland heeft het bod van Ajax (bijna 2,5 miljoen euro) afgewezen. De Uruguayaanse rechtsback heeft zijn zinnen op een transfer naar Ajax gezet.
Appie, stay strong !

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » di jan 08, 2008 2:15 pm

ozzerdibazio schreef:Hi Per,

Obviously it is just my opinion but I have not been impressed. I have seen a few games where he has just not made any impact, and like you said just didn't look dangerous.

Saying that, having had a think I would keep him becasue maybe when he gains confidence he can reproduce the form he had at Twente.

I guess the injury hasn't helped, and I liked him alot at Twente so like most of the team at the moment maybe the best is yet to come.
Yeah, Kennedy really plays shit at the moment. I expected much more from him this season. He's a bit better when he goes to the field after sub, but when he plays from the start, he useless..

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » di jan 08, 2008 2:47 pm

philippe schreef:Ajax made an offer for Groningen's right back : Ajax wil deze maand graag Bruno Silva van FC Groningen inlijven, maar directeur Hans Nijland heeft het bod van Ajax (bijna 2,5 miljoen euro) afgewezen. De Uruguayaanse rechtsback heeft zijn zinnen op een transfer naar Ajax gezet.
Why the hell are we trying to buy right backs ??? (Trabelsi,Silva) we need a fucking central defender !!!! not an ofensive minded right back that will only leave our horrible defence more vulnerable when cuaght on the atack.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Plaats reactie