Ajax Finances

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Ajax Finances

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma okt 17, 2005 10:24 am

This thread is the place for all your comments on Ajax The Company. Ajax shares and everything else that's got to do with money and the financial position of the club may be posted here.

Today the 'AFC Ajax NV' (the company listed on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange) presented their figures over the 2004-2005 season. They did not make as much money as in 2003-2004, but the good news is that the club was still profitable (thanks to the sale of Zlatan...).

The over-all profit was 2.8 million euros (it was 9.8 million in 2003-2004). The total turnover increased by 3.7% to 66.6 million euros. The balance of player sales and purchases was +0.8 million euros.

The press release in in Dutch, but you can check the figures over here (PDF files):
http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=44058

I will not write a news report on this stuff, for two reasons: 1) I don't really care (Ajax USA is primarily a fansite for AFC Ajax the club than for AFC Ajax NV, the company) and 2) (more importantly) I don't have enough economical knowledge to seriously reflect on these figures in an article. I could only translate the basic press release in English.

However, if anyone feels like writing an article about it and to explain us, fellow Ajax fans, what it all means, please contact me! It would be great to publish such an article on Ajax USA as a From The Desk Of... installment.

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma okt 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Just goes to show how important the champions league is to us financially. Will be very interesting to see the 2006/07 figures if we don't make it.

However, not that many clubs nowadays post a profit so somebody somewhere must be doing a good job - its just that I haven't a clue who that is.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma okt 17, 2005 4:25 pm

the one who does a good job is the one who sells our best players for riculous but higher than book value amounts
Appie, stay strong !

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma okt 17, 2005 4:29 pm

That man doesn't really sound as though he is doing a very good job apart from pacifying the stock market.

Intersting to note that the revenue from merchandising went up by 6% - nice increase but probably still loads of missed opportunities.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma okt 17, 2005 5:30 pm

in my opinion 6% increase is very mediocre, considering inflation; Ajax are only interested in the domestic market, and they can not understand they could make profit out of their international reputation ... while it's still time
Appie, stay strong !

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » ma okt 17, 2005 5:37 pm

philippe schreef:in my opinion 6% increase is very mediocre, considering inflation; Ajax are only interested in the domestic market, and they can not understand they could make profit out of their international reputation ... while it's still time
In all fairness, inflation doesn't eat up that increase, not even close.

When I was i Amsterdam I noticed and reflected upon the number of stores and the frontline position of Ajax merchandise. It seems that market is very mature and as you all mention, in order to get some more increase abroad is the way to go.

I am not that impressed by the net of player turnover. How can we have netted that little with the sells we had? Is it that the Zlatan sale was in installments?
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

bryan

Bericht door bryan » ma okt 17, 2005 5:43 pm

I don't know either, but I want that Johnny Boy avatar.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di okt 18, 2005 7:46 am

The 6% increase in merchandising revenues should be analysed taking account of the 2% inflation. Besides it is probably mainly an increase on the price per unit sold more than an increase on the number of items sold.
It would be very interesting to know the proportion of sales abroad, which is probably close to 0%. Then we could compare it with the proportion of sales abroad for the other famous clubs in Europe. And compare the figures.
Appie, stay strong !

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di okt 18, 2005 9:37 am

philippe schreef:The 6% increase in merchandising revenues should be analysed taking account of the 2% inflation. Besides it is probably mainly an increase on the price per unit sold more than an increase on the number of items sold.
It would be very interesting to know the proportion of sales abroad, which is probably close to 0%. Then we could compare it with the proportion of sales abroad for the other famous clubs in Europe. And compare the figures.
Yeah, as I said, still an increase then. Right? Even if it is from prize increases (which we don't really know do we?).

Anyways, we all seem to agree that international sales is be part to be reviewed. I think I'm going to drop an e-mail by chance to see if it is at all possible to get a figure on what the percentage of sales comes from abroad.

Will report back if I get an answer (doubtfully).

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di okt 18, 2005 10:05 am

On a radio programme this am they reported that income from ticket sales and match revenue in one form or another accounted for 25% and 33% of Real Madrid and Man Ure's total revenue.

Looking at Ajax accounts and trusting in my limited Dutch it appears that our dependancy on ticket sales is around 50%.

Whilst it would be good to attract a higher value of sponsorship, I wouldn't like to be in the same area of dependancy on sponsorship etc as Real Madrid and Man Ure.

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » di okt 18, 2005 2:28 pm

Instead of worying about income, our nearly-corrupt board should think about winning
Get a Cock

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di okt 18, 2005 2:31 pm

ZoefdeHaas schreef:Instead of worying about income, our nearly-corrupt board should think about winning
Oh yeah, the f"cking players should worry about winning and the board should worry about creating the right circumstanses to win.

I would say having an income is a good way to start.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di okt 18, 2005 3:20 pm

Strangely though, Ajax stuff has been popping up in the Macy's here in NY. The ugly away kit was available for a good 6-8 months.

Also, saw some Ajax stuff(ugly away colours) in a discount chain (Marshall's) two weeks ago.

I would say that we are among the top 5 most visible teams which Adidas sells in their stores here (Real, Bayern, Milan, Ajax, Newcastle).

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di okt 18, 2005 3:30 pm

pretty reassuring news fro NY, it means that is potential for Ajax, and they could make much more with a decent international website, and a decent international webshop for instance ...
Appie, stay strong !

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di okt 18, 2005 3:35 pm

philippe schreef:pretty reassuring news fro NY, it means that is potential for Ajax, and they could make much more with a decent international website, and a decent international webshop for instance ...
Agreed. They don't need to become the next Real or ManU in terms of merchandising, but improving their finances by increasing their foreign merchandising potential is a good idea.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di okt 18, 2005 3:48 pm

Wonderful idea, but to sell on foreign markets you have to have a successful team - the kids only want the strips of winners.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di okt 18, 2005 3:56 pm

True, but Ajax should not understimate their image, due to the (sometimes) attractive play and history.
Appie, stay strong !

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » di okt 18, 2005 6:37 pm

philippe schreef:pretty reassuring news fro NY, it means that is potential for Ajax, and they could make much more with a decent international website, and a decent international webshop for instance ...
Not here. All I see is English, Italian and South-American shirts. Very few people, I'd say less then 1%, have ever heard of 'AJAX Amsterdam from Amsterdam Zuid-Oost'.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do okt 20, 2005 4:46 pm

I would say that it is impossible to find a single person anywhere in Europe who would have the slightest interest in football and wouldn't have heard of Ajax.

Somehow it has be to taken account of in merchandising.

I still can't believe that they chose a stupid payment system for Ajax-web TV that makes it impossible for foreigners to join. :nooo:
Appie, stay strong !

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di okt 25, 2005 3:33 pm

Do I even have to tell yopu that I didn't receive an answer to my e-mail regarding international sales.

They could at least drop me an e-mail saying that the info isn't available or that it isn't for disclosure.

But.....nothing.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 06, 2006 5:23 pm

Interesting facts (Boursorama) :

AFC Ajax income :
48% game tickets
52% : others
sponsoring : 36%
television 10%
sales of products 6%

87% of the total income is made in the Netherlands.

Meaning only 13% out of the "others" 52% outside the Netherlands.
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mar 06, 2006 5:33 pm

philippe schreef:87% of the total income is made in the Netherlands. Meaning only 13% out of the "others" 52% outside the Netherlands.
Yeah, they should - quite obviously - make much more money abroad. This is an extremely, extremely poor result, given the fact that 'Ajax' is #30 on the list of most valuable sports brands in the world.

Luckily, Maarten Fontein used to be a big shot for Unilever, Holland's #1 multinational company. One of the main reasons why they hired him as the new CEO is because they want him to (finally) do something with Ajax's international potential. I believe in the man, I must say.

K.
Still alive...

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » ma mar 06, 2006 6:22 pm

Phillipe

any chance of posting a link to this please -would like to have a look in more detail at the figures as I assume these are based on the interim results for the financial year 2006/7. Comparing these figures to the previous financial year gives a better indication of where revenue has actually increased or decreased.

Last years accounts showed that merchandising of Ajax goods showed revenue of about Eur 6.2m, which is a very low figure in my opinion and of that only Eur 2.1m came from the Fanshop at the Arena, another surprisingly low figure.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » ma mar 06, 2006 6:38 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Luckily, Maarten Fontein used to be a big shot for Unilever, Holland's #1 multinational company...
...and Arie van Eijden played marketing honcho at Shell for 18 years, so I'd keep the cork on the champagne bottle untill the ship with chinese euros sails in.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma mar 06, 2006 7:32 pm

I have always thought Ajax should be selling themselves more abroad. Is there a more easily recognised shirt than ours?? Barcelonas is the only other that comes to mind as they do not have a sponsers name.

Plaats reactie