Amsterdam & The Netherlands Tourist Info

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Feest

Bericht door Feest » di mar 07, 2006 11:48 am

jamcocteau schreef:
Regarding the hi-tech bar and brown cafe bar situation, one of the things I love about the place actually is the lack of Hi-Tech bars. I lived in London which is full of them and have to say I hated them. They are bars full of the most mind numbingly boring people you could ever wish to lay eyes on - people who are more interested in what they and others are wearing, trying to be trendy and interesting when they are in the main air-heads who are in general only interested in money, house prices and who idea of fashion in clothes, music, films etc will come from a magazine without having the imagination to find out for themselves about the subject. In Amsterdam, I would term places like the Mansion (hideously horrible), Jimmy Woos etc as types of these bars.

That's me in a nutshell. :bis:

Though I disagree. I just don't like the mood in brown cafe's. It's dark and gloomy and people go there to drink - a lot.

I like to nurse my drink (not a heavy drinker at all.) and look around and chat w/ people w/o having to shout 'cause of the loudness of the music or having to twist and turn because of the crowdiness around my spot.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 07, 2006 12:17 pm

I really hate 'trendy hi-end bars' when they're cold and shiny and full of people who are mostly interested in themselves -- and of course money. I know plenty of 'trendy bars', but they're trendy in a different way: in an art scene/indie music/design/cult/young people/creative/open-minded/down-to-earth kind of way. I'm talking about people who have a certain imagination, as well as the curiosity and independence to find their own clothing/music/magazines/art (or whatever they're into). These are the non-cynical ones, who actually love something (whatever this may be) and try to make a difference in their own positive and modest way.

Places like Jimmy Woo's - as Jamcocteau pointed out - are not trendy at all. They play house music from 1992 for thirty-somethings who have too much money, but - in reality - have lost touch with the true culture of the night. Places like that are extremely, extremely boring and really encourage the serial killer in me.

In most cases, nice places will be interesting for a while, but before you know the so-called 'trendy' people will take over. Then it's time to move on.

K. (not trendy)
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 07, 2006 12:27 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the most important thing: there must be plenty of sexy birds.

K.
Still alive...

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » di mar 07, 2006 12:33 pm

Steef schreef:
jamcocteau schreef:

That's me in a nutshell. :bis:

Though I disagree. I just don't like the mood in brown cafe's. It's dark and gloomy and people go there to drink - a lot.

I like to nurse my drink (not a heavy drinker at all.) and look around and chat w/ people w/o having to shout 'cause of the loudness of the music or having to twist and turn because of the crowdiness around my spot.
No offence intended there :blush:

Maybe that is why I like brown cafes because they go there to drink a lot but have to agree that it is nice to find a place where you can go to talk without having to shout or being overcrowded, was thinking about Cafe De Jaren in this instance.

It is one of the things about Amsterdam I do like in that there are enough types of bars / cafes to suit just about everybodys taste.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di mar 07, 2006 1:05 pm

Amsterdam is where I would like to live if I could. It is a fantastic place, beautiful and exciting. I did visit many many times. And I still do as often as I can afford it.
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 07, 2006 1:21 pm

jamcocteau schreef:was thinking about Cafe De Jaren in this instance.
Yeah, nice one. One of the best terraces in town (that's why it's always full...). You can go there by boat.

K
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di mar 07, 2006 1:24 pm

One of the big plus points of Amsterdam is that everybody's requirements can be satisfied no matter what.

As Ray always says - what in life can be better than coming out of his favourite bar on the Herengracht canal (with all its beauty) to go to a champions league game.

For my 2 penny's worth - my favourite spot is Spui. If you sit there long enough I really do believe that the whole of Amsterdam will pass by you.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mar 07, 2006 5:52 pm

I really like Brouwerij t'Ij. That place is great.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Feest

Bericht door Feest » di mar 07, 2006 6:09 pm

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
As Ray always says - what in life can be better than coming out of his favourite bar on the Herengracht canal (with all its beauty) to go to a champions league game.

A beer at the bar: 2 Euros
Tickets to Ajax - Inter: 35 Euros
Seeing Julio Cruz score a late equalizer: Priceless.

:D

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » di mar 07, 2006 6:11 pm

aveslacker schreef:I really like Brouwerij t'Ij. That place is great.
Never been Aves, but On Sunday Ray persuaded (well not that much persuasion was used) me to accompany him to Brouwerij t'Ij after the AZ match. Reallly looking forward to it. :bier:
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Marijn

Bericht door Marijn » di mar 07, 2006 6:58 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: I know plenty of 'trendy bars', but they're trendy in a different way: in an art scene/indie music/design/cult/young people/creative/open-minded/down-to-earth kind of way. I'm talking about people who have a certain imagination, as well as the curiosity and independence to find their own clothing/music/magazines/art (or whatever they're into). These are the non-cynical ones, who actually love something (whatever this may be) and try to make a difference in their own positive and modest way.
Could you mention some of those? Hope you got some new places to explore for me.
jamcocteau schreef:was thinking about Cafe De Jaren in this instance.
Very nice place! Go there pretty often 'cause it's about 30 meters from my university building. They've got some great (Illy) coffee!
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist."
-The Usual Suspects

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Marijn schreef:Could you mention some of those? Hope you got some new places to explore for me.
Here are some of the places that I think have a good feeling/positive vibe to them. I frequent most of them far too regularly... :D

Nieuwmarkt area: Café Cuba, Cotton Club, Lime, Lef.
CS area: Bitterzoet, Dulac, Harlem, Dwaze Zaken.
Dam area: Winston International.
Leidseplein area: Weber, Lux, Noa.
Oud West/Overtoom area: Ebeling, Zouk.
Jordaan area: Proust, Finch, De Buurman.
De Pijp area: Chocolate Bar and several other places along the same street.
'Nine Little Streets' area: Café Wolvenstraat, '23' and a few others.

Some of the more underground music hangouts include the Nieuwe Anita (although I think they recently changed their name... not sure; it's on Frederik Hendrikstraat #111), OT 301, Sappho and Zaal 100.

Some of the simple, honest pubs that I really like are 't Loosje (Nieuwmarkt), Hesp and De IJsbreker (Weesperzijde), Helmers, De Toog (both Overtoom), De Prins (Prinsengracht) and Schiller (Rembrandtplein).

Also (don't want to sound blasé...), as a music journalist I can always walk into the Paradiso and the Melkweg for a quick beer. I have an unlimited access pass for both venues.

Okay - now you more or less know where to find me. Fair chance the guy standing next to me is Jamcocteau... :D

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » di jul 31, 2007 9:15 am

I'm going to be in Amsterdam on Saturday (Aug 4th) for A'dam Tournament match v. Arsenal.

I need a reccomendation of a decent hotel in the city (criteria: nothing fancy, clean, centrally located, reasonable price).

Any thoughts from others that have visited the city?
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » di jul 31, 2007 1:04 pm

manneken Pis said:
I'm going to be in Amsterdam on Saturday (Aug 4th) for A'dam Tournament match v. Arsenal.

I need a reccomendation of a decent hotel in the city (criteria: nothing fancy, clean, centrally located, reasonable price).

There is a hostel near mariott hotel its only 25 euros a night...when you arrive at the schipol there is a telephone service with the list and pictures of accomadation centres/hotels...I will try and find the name for you soon.

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » di jul 31, 2007 1:15 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:I'm going to be in Amsterdam on Saturday (Aug 4th) for A'dam Tournament match v. Arsenal.

All hotels are going to be very busy this weekend as it is Gay Pride weekend so might be best to have a look in advance
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di aug 14, 2007 12:00 am

Interesting little story about the canals:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/13/news/journal.php

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr dec 14, 2007 5:14 pm

Gentlemen (and ladies, if you're out there):

We need some more hotel recommendations (and also warnings/tales of woe) for this page:

http://www.ajaxusa.com/travel/hotels.html

You can post your comments here, and/or email them to me at jim(at)ajaxusa.com.

Please... the newbies are counting on you...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma dec 17, 2007 9:45 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Gentlemen (and ladies, if you're out there):

We need some more hotel recommendations (and also warnings/tales of woe) for this page:

I can recommend th Hotel De Paris in Marnixstraat. Stayed there a few times, it's not exactly luxurious but central, clean and quite cheap.

I only wish I'd stayed there this time - nicer than where I ended up.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma dec 17, 2007 11:12 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
ajaxusa schreef:We need some more hotel recommendations (and also warnings/tales of woe) for this page:

I can recommend th Hotel De Paris in Marnixstraat. Stayed there a few times, it's not exactly luxurious but central, clean and quite cheap.

I only wish I'd stayed there this time - nicer than where I ended up.
Thanks, SE6Ajacied. I've added this hotel to the page.

Anyone else?

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di dec 18, 2007 10:04 am

I know I'll be staying at the Hortus yet another time. It's clean, two metro stops away from Centraal Station, close to several bus and tran lines, the owners are Ajax supporters and they have pictures of our previous trips on the walls in the lobby. If you can bear with the pot smokers and if you don't mind taking your shower in the corridor outside your room, then it's definitely the best price/quality ratio you can find.
meh :|

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr jan 11, 2008 7:46 am

A question for you local Dutchies... Can I walk into a phone shop (Orange Shop, Vodafone, Primafoon) and buy a cheap phone and a prepaid SIM card, and have a cellphone for a week? In the past I've had the use of a friend's cellphone, and I always just put extra value into that card and keep using it. But I don't know if I'll have access to that phone this time, so I might need to buy one. What should I expect to spend for a simple phone? Any advice?

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » vr jan 11, 2008 8:59 am

You can go as cheap as 30 euro's, including 15 euro to call.

Go to places like Belcompany (everywhere in Amsterdam. Nieuwendijk for example), they are really cheap and you'll be ready in minutes.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr jan 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Excellent, thanks for the tip.

bluedaddy19
Contacteer:

Bericht door bluedaddy19 » vr jan 11, 2008 6:19 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Gentlemen (and ladies, if you're out there):

Every one of my friends that has ever stayed at Hotel Donna on Stadhouderskade has been happy, although rooms there are about 80E.

This website has GREAT deals for rooms booked 20 or less days fomr the stay - http://amsterdam.ratestogo.com/
AJAX HUP ROOD WITTE SCHARE, DAPP RE STRIJDERS FIER EN KOEN
GEEN CLUB DIE ONS KAN EVENAREN, ROOD EN WIT WORDT KAMPIOEN

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr jan 11, 2008 8:18 pm

Cool, I added this info to our Hotels page.

Plaats reactie