Amsterdam & The Netherlands Tourist Info

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SE6Ajacied

Re: Amsterdam & The Netherlands Tourist Info

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za mar 12, 2011 3:07 am

Well it's not very cool as such but for an authentic Amsterdam experience he could do worse than visitng the Albert Cuypmarkt streetmarket. A more trendy option would be the Waterlooplein fleamarket. Both of these are a must visit whenever I'm in Amsterdam.

A good record shop (Ko can no doubt confirm) is Concerto Records at 52 Utrectsestraat near the Rembrandtplein.

Volendam is also very nice but I'd recommend coming home in the daylight :blush.gif: (SPL you have an amazing memory lol).

Just going for a random walk around the canals in Jordaan or maybe De Pijp is also great, especially say on a Sunday morning where it's eerily quiet and deserted.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

ajaxusa
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma mar 14, 2011 2:36 am

And do I remember correctly that there's a nice open-air market in the Jordaan on Sat or Sun morning? I thought that was really nice.

OK, now I need more practical advice:

Best pancake house
Best brewery/beer hall (what's the one in the windmill called?)
Best (cheap) restaurants (I like Wagamama, but it's hardly Dutch)

Thanks in advance!
Mark it 8, Dude.

Jinne
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Jinne » ma mar 14, 2011 8:50 am

ajaxusa schreef:And do I remember correctly that there's a nice open-air market in the Jordaan on Sat or Sun morning? I thought that was really nice.

OK, now I need more practical advice:

Best pancake house
Best brewery/beer hall (what's the one in the windmill called?)
Best (cheap) restaurants (I like Wagamama, but it's hardly Dutch)

Thanks in advance!
The market is the Noordermarkt and is on saturday. It's indeed a nice market.

Brewery you mean must be Het IJ.
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma mar 14, 2011 5:08 pm

Het Ij, yes that's it. Thanks!
Mark it 8, Dude.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di mar 15, 2011 8:36 am

Jinne schreef:The market is the Noordermarkt and is on saturday. It's indeed a nice market.
Perhaps it's just me but I prefer the Monday morning version of Noordermarkt (does it still open??). Fleamarket witha whole load of junk for sale but some wonderful bargains if you don't mind rummaging through the tat. I didn't even know there was a Saturday version.....
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 15, 2011 11:31 am

The Noordermarkt market on Saturday morning is actually two markets, kind of. One half of the square is an eco/biological food market, which is really nice. The other half of the square is a fleamarket with loads of used books and records and stuff. The combination of the two is really nice: some crate-digging first, followed by an ecological/biological bite to eat. Also: on the corner of Noordermarkt is a café called Winkel, which has the best home made apple pie in town. Great for a Saturday morning. The Noordermarkt/Westerstraat area is very nice place to go on Saturday morning. Laidback.

Best pancake house... Try this one: http://www.pancake.nl/ 17th century building, beautiful location (Prinsengracht, right by Anne Frank's house and the Westermarkt church tower) and good pancakes, too.

Best beer brewery: 't IJ. Nice and low-key. Authentic place. Don't go for the Heineken thing. That was once nice enough, but it was turned into a very flashy overpriced tourist trap called the 'Heineken Experience'. It's a load of bollocks and a waste of money.

Best cheap restaurants... Hmm. There's many. Many shit ones, too. I'll think about it and come up with a few recommendations...

K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr mar 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Excellent, thanks!
Mark it 8, Dude.

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr mar 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Also, I started a map: Suggestions please!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... d&t=h&z=14
Mark it 8, Dude.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di mar 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Does anyone know the dates for this year's Uitmarkt ?
Appie, stay strong !

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » wo mar 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Our favourite is:

http://www.haesjeclaes.nl/?language=en_EN

Also highly recommended is 1st Klasse on Platform 2 @ Amsterdam Central station

Always remembering Van Dobens of course for a great Amsterdam experience
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Ride
Contacteer:

Bericht door Ride » do mar 24, 2011 1:52 pm

ajaxusa schreef:Also, I started a map: Suggestions please!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... d&t=h&z=14

Akkerstraat 32, Amsterdam :headbang.gif:

http://wikimapia.org/8584554/nl/Geboort ... an-Cruijff
Vakkie 129

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do mar 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Ride schreef:Akkerstraat 32, Amsterdam :headbang.gif:
Indeed. :-)

In fact, if I can find it in my dead-letter files, I'm going to recreate the (not quite still) famous Ajax USA History Tour of Amsterdam, which I still consider the crowning achievement in the history of our defunct little club. Surely Ko's masterwork.
Mark it 8, Dude.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do mar 24, 2011 9:20 pm

This is such great stuff. Me and the wife were planning on coming to Amsterdam this Aug/Sept and I was thinking of posting questions here. But we're collecting so much good stuff already.

Thanks a lot all of you.

PabloDiablo

Bericht door PabloDiablo » do mar 24, 2011 11:12 pm

I have not posted on Ajaxtalk for years - in fact, I'm surprised that my username and password still work! Sorry for not coming back and posting again. I originally signed up right before I made the Ajax USA trip (in 2006) and was fortunate enough to have been along for the Ajax History Tour. I have great memories from that trip. I also had some great pictures, but unfortunately I learned a very valuable lesson about backing up my computer.

Much thanks to Jim and Menno for putting all of that together - I was sad to learn that you're not doing that any more. The tour really was top notch - I would have gladly paid. Too bad you guys didn't ask. :biggrin.gif:

I'll be bringing my sons with me April 24th for the Ajax - Excelsior match and I am looking forward to retracing some of the steps that we took on that tour. Thanks so much for all of the great information that you have all provided in this thread.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di apr 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Just to post a few comments on my weekend in general here. I stayed with my cousin about 15 miles out of the city but the local train took 25 mins to the Central station so in the end there was no problem . I have come back probably healthier as they are vegetarians and great cyclists. 45 mins after I arrived I cycled for 75 min , 12 miles of cycling . Not bad for a 60 year old. The same distance the next night but did not see Bergkamp who lives in Blaricum , the next village to where my cousin lives. And for good measure I had 2 hours of cycling yesterday before coming home in the evening.

Being retired they stay up to 3 am every night drinking red wine, he has 300 bottles in his cellar.I was a bit shattered when I got home. I did manage to see a bit of Amsterdam both on Saturday before heading for de Toekomst and spent an hour walking around on Sunday before meeting up with Menno. The city has not changed a bit but the outskirts are now all tall buildings just like any modern city .

I would have to say I was on a complete high from the minute I arrived until I left , and no I did not smoke any wacky backy!! i will return next spring and intend to visit and watch Ajax every year from now on .

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do apr 14, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm in the process of incorporating all your feedback into my map and related blog post:

http://stillworkingonthat.blogspot.com/ ... erdam.html

Keep the good suggestions coming, and I'll keep updating the map and blog.
Mark it 8, Dude.

arizonaajax
Contacteer:

Bericht door arizonaajax » zo mei 29, 2011 1:34 pm

very cool thread! :headbang.gif: :onfire.gif:

arizonaajax
Contacteer:

Bericht door arizonaajax » di jun 14, 2011 9:02 am

will definitely have questions and comments to add to this thread as we get closer to October when I hope to attend my first live Ajax match. :onfire.gif: :biggthumpup.gif:

AjaxSeattle

Bericht door AjaxSeattle » do jun 16, 2011 4:11 am

This is my first post on the forum but I am not a stranger to Ajax-USA as I joined the group on the trip to Amsterdam in February of 2002 and what a trip it was. We went to 2 games, attended a practice, toured the Arena and of course the history tour. And I met some great people, Jim, Menno, Ben, Ray and others who have this passion for Ajax as I do. In my case, it was my family in Holland who have that same passion who turned me into a Ajax fan when I made a trip to Holland in 1995.

I went to a game at Demeer with my cousin in 1995 who is a season ticket holder and over the years in follow up trips, I have been to other games at the Arena besides the ones in 2002 with Ajax-USA. One game that stands out was the one on the Sunday following 9/11 as I was in Holland when that happened. I went to the game with my cousin and the support of the Ajax fans that afternoon for the USA was unbelievable with the many signs and American flags throughout the Arena. Before the game, there were several minutes of silence in remembrance of the victims and you could hear a pin drop in the Arena. Never have 50,000 people been that silent.

I have heard some talk about a possible reunion of Ajax-USA in Amsterdam sometime in the future and if that happens, I am ready to join the crowd.

arizonaajax
Contacteer:

Bericht door arizonaajax » zo jun 19, 2011 10:07 am

Kowalczyk schreef:The Noordermarkt market on Saturday morning is actually two markets, kind of. One half of the square is an eco/biological food market, which is really nice. The other half of the square is a fleamarket with loads of used books and records and stuff. The combination of the two is really nice: some crate-digging first, followed by an ecological/biological bite to eat. Also: on the corner of Noordermarkt is a café called Winkel, which has the best home made apple pie in town. Great for a Saturday morning. The Noordermarkt/Westerstraat area is very nice place to go on Saturday morning. Laidback.

Best pancake house... Try this one: http://www.pancake.nl/ 17th century building, beautiful location (Prinsengracht, right by Anne Frank's house and the Westermarkt church tower) and good pancakes, too.

Best beer brewery: 't IJ. Nice and low-key. Authentic place. Don't go for the Heineken thing. That was once nice enough, but it was turned into a very flashy overpriced tourist trap called the 'Heineken Experience'. It's a load of bollocks and a waste of money.

Best cheap restaurants... Hmm. There's many. Many shit ones, too. I'll think about it and come up with a few recommendations...

K.

I am definitely going to have to remember that pancake place when I head over on any future Amsterdam trip. :headbang.gif:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr nov 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Still alive...

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za nov 16, 2013 11:11 am

But the only good things on that list are Rutger Hauer and WiFi...

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za nov 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Pretty dumb to attribute Ben & Jerry's to Unilever.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za nov 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Tom_ schreef:But the only good things on that list are Rutger Hauer and WiFi...
And Golden Earring! :headbang.gif:

K.
Still alive...

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » zo nov 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm reading and thus far enjoying Russell Shorto's new book, Amsterdam: A History of the World's Most Liberal City. Anybody else out there read it already?
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

Plaats reactie