Personal Introductions Thread

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Bonafide

Personal Introductions Thread

Bericht door Bonafide » vr jul 29, 2005 4:21 am

Hi guys ... cause i dont know you so well, i would like (if you dont mind) to know where you from and when and how youve all got into this big club ..
ok so ... im Tzach, i live in Israel, and im 15 years old.
im a dutch israeli guy, and i born in holland (Amsterdam) and moved out to israel. so since i was a litlle kid all i saw is this red white shirts playing soccer .. so with the years i grew up and my big love to Ajax too ..
hope to hear from you ....
Laatst gewijzigd door Bonafide op vr jul 29, 2005 1:53 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr jul 29, 2005 6:46 am

Well, alright then...

My real name is Menno Pot, I am 30 years old, I live in Amsterdam and work as a music journalist and writer.

My family (my dad, especially) was not about sports at all, but more about sixties music, Amnesty International, Greenpeace and left wing politics. We never watched football when I was young. I got into football thanks to Martin, my cousin, who always watched football. I was a few years younger, thought it was cool and watched it with him.

Strange thing is: he was a PSV supporter, so for some reason I 'copied' the habit of watching football from him, but I picked my own club when I was six or seven years old. I remember adoring the jersey and, most importantly, players of PSV and Feyenoord all had moustaches and weird hair. They seemed old. Like uncles. The Ajax players were younger and cooler in my experience (Johnny van 't Schip was one of my first 'heroes'). They were like older brothers, boys next door. There was something irresistible about them that I instantly felt.

My first game in De Meer was a game against Go Ahead Eagles in early 1984 (3-1). I went to a few games a year at first (mostly with my uncle; never with my dad). By the time I was fifteen I spent my money on two things: records and tickets for Ajax games. In the 1991-1992 season I went on my first 'European' trips: two 'home' games in Düsseldorf (Ajax played there as a punishment for the 'bar incident' of 1989) and the away game at AA Ghent (0-0). I also saw all of the UEFA Cup home games that season.

The season thereafter (1992-1993) I received my 'Public Transit Year Subscription', which was free for students at the time. It made it a lot cheaper for me to go and see Ajax and I bought my first season ticket. Also, I went to almost every away game that season (which was easier at the time than it is now: hardly any combis).

I went to almost every domestic Ajax game (home and away) from 1992 to 1997. From 1997 to 1999 I saw the home fixtures only, because I was in the last years of my study and could hardly pay my rent, let alone tickets to Ajax away games... I started doing away games again in 1999-2000 and hardly missed one since. Since 2000 the number of European trips is on the increase also: I think I've seen 60% of all European Ajax away games since 2000 (including five Champions League away games in 2002-2003).

Ajax is not the most important thing in my life: my girlfriend's far more important and so are my close friends and family. As a general thing 'work' is also more important to me than Ajax (in a general sense, like having a job, and making sure it's something that I love). However, one specific job as such is definitely not more important to me than Ajax. I was fired twice so far because I went on a European Ajax trip and took a few days off without my boss' permission (I asked for it, he turned the request down; I went anyway). If Ajax play a European final or something and I know that I will be fired if I go to the game, I wouldn't need a split second to make up my mind: Ajax. Fuck that job. I'll find something else to do. I work for myself anyway; absolutely never for a boss or a company.

I always say that Ajax is the most important detail in my life. Along with music. If I couldn't listen to music anymore and couldn't go to gigs or Ajax games, I would want to die - and I'm afraid I seriously mean that.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jul 29, 2005 9:25 am

Okey-Dokey...

Daniel from Melbourne, Australia. Might have met some of you at this years Amsterdam trip. I was born in Victoria about 1.5 hours away from Melbourne but pretty much all my family is Dutch. My Dad was born near Heerlen, Limburg & Mum in Rotterdam...(dont mention how many more tropheys than fword we have won in front of my Oma!)

Our family with its European backround was always into football, yet seeing any games from The Netherlands when I was growing up was pretty much impossible in this cricket/aussie rules mad country.

That all changed in the mid to late 80s when a new TV station started to broadcast 'multicultural' shows which luckily for me included football. This was my first true introduction to European Football, and of course with my Dutch heritage, paid more attention to any games that involved Holland or Dutch teams.

From here it was similar to Menno (Ko), for some reason Ajax just clicked with me. The style, the players and of course the team included my all time footballing hero, someone you might not have heard of Mr. Marco van Basten.

Then of course Euro 88 was played which gave more exposure to the Dutch players and my love for the game just kept growing, as did my love for Ajax. Watching some great players coming through the ranks (Bergkamp, Van't Schip, Richard Witschge etc) everyother week helped the cause, then we won the UEFA Cup etc. and of course seeing Kluiverts Euro Cup goal live was something I will never forget (neither will my wife, thanks to me screaming at 6am in the morning when THAT goal went in!).

For me Ajax has a 'feel'. Thats a lame description, but its the best I can do. Occasionally when the team still plays like 'the good old days', it brings an incredible sense of pride. I feel like I want to ring up all of my friends and MAKE them watch the game to see how football should be played and to also show them why this game (and team) is better than Australia's beloved Aussie Rules. For me when Ajax play in the only way that they can, its still THE greatest sport you can watch.

Seeing Ajax live in the Arena in March this year was one of my all time dreams come true, but then they had to get their bloody butts kicked...oh well maybe next year!

Like Menno, its not THE love of my life (that one would have to go to my wife), but its bloody close.

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » vr jul 29, 2005 9:52 am

My name is - as my nickname reveals - Jakob Granqvist. I'm living and studying economics at Umeå University of Business and Economics in Sweden, but born and raised in a swedish speaking part of Finland.

Football has always been the biggest interest in my life. Ever since I as a 6 year old kid went to my first football training and always was in our back yard kicking the ball, I've been following all the football I can. I'm still playing, right now in the 4th division here in Finland - next year I'll try to make it into our local 2nd division team.

I love Ajax, as so many others of you, because of the way they play football. Technical and fast football, and the kinda arrogant players. I love the guys who are different. That don't follow the pattern and like to stick out. Zlatan is the favourite. Zlatan was also the reason I got more into Ajax again. I did follow Ajax a lot also when Litmanen (my first Ajax favourite) played here, but not as much as I do now. The first, and only this far, live game I've seen Ajax play was a Champions League game a couple of years ago against Rosenborg (1-1). I also had the privilege to meet some of you guys on that trip.

I'm hoping to visit Amsterdam again soon, but my wallet is not that thick at the moment, partly because I've had way too long vacation this summer.

Right now I'm hoping Ajax make it to the Champions League, Djurgårdens IF win the Swedish league, our local team make it to the first division qualifications and that me and my friends will have a blast during these last weeks of summer vacation.
Laatst gewijzigd door jakobg op vr jul 29, 2005 10:59 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr jul 29, 2005 10:09 am

Right, here goes from here, I'm Brian, 34 years old (today!) from London, England, not a drop of dutch blood in me. My parents weren't into sports at all really which was pretty boring as a kid (my dad wouldn't take me to games X'C ) but meant that I could chose my own team. Aged about 6 or 7 I chose Blackpool, a place I had always wanted to go - it soundn't very exotic to a seven year old who'd only really been as far as Boulogne in France (my parents weren't big on foreign holidays either) and I also liked the tangerine shirts they played in. As a seven year old I couldn't really take the 500 mile round trip to see my new heroes play so tended to go to see Crystal Palce my local team on the rare occasions someone took me to a game. That all changed when I left home and started work and I started going to see Blackpool regularly, averaging about 20-30 games a season for a few years. Tangerine Blackpool led to Oranje Holland (very few other teams play in those colours) and the Netherlands (somewhere else I always wanted to go) and I started to support Oranje on TV when they weren't playing England unlike the 4-1 at Wembley in Euro 96 which I went to see live ( :D ). Soon enough I came to Holland and have now travelled all over the country on about 15 trips thanks to the excellent (by British standards) Dutch Railways. Holland led to Ajax and the rest is history. Thanks to Ebay I'm the proud owner of scores of shirts and other Ajax goodies which my girlfriend would love to throw out (I'm typing this from Amsterdam and she's here with me :yes:). That's just about it for me - oh and I share the politics with Menno's dad ;)

(I've just had a thought - this is really like Alcoholics Anonymous #My names Brian and I'm an Ajax fan" :blush: )
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » vr jul 29, 2005 10:26 am

ok unlike you superstars, I aint gonna right much.

My name is Remmy, 15 years old, Dutch, love gals, really annoying, live in Japan, but now im back in town, that is in leiden, just few km south of amsterdam
Get a Cock

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » vr jul 29, 2005 11:00 am

My 2 cents (and a bit):

As one of the proud moderators of this beautiful forum I feel obliged to introduce myself as well. :D

My name, as you may have guessed, is Raymon. 31 years old. Originally from Amsterdam, moved to Purmerend, Alkmaar and back to Purmerend now living in St. Neots, a town, city, village (has something to do with cathedrals I've been told) on the border of Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire.

Ajax for me was not a choice but a family tradition. My father used to work in the Olympic Stadium and although my big brother has benefit more from that, the whole family was Ajax minded. Sunday, 18:45/19:00 it was Studio Sport time and Ajax was all that counted. No way I would have been able to support any other club in Holland.

I started going to games occasionally when I was around 15. Couldn't buy a season ticket because I was (and still am) playing on Sunday myself. And how much I love see Ajax play, I love playing football myself even more. But I have seen quite a lot of games between 89 and now. I saw the semi final and final of the UEFA cup tour and the quarter final against Milan 3 years ago, ofcourse besides the many league games, although many is very relative compared to others. I will never forget the walk from the Olympic Stadium to the Leidseplein after 'we' won the cup. All these people clapping for us and playing 'We are the champions' from their windows. That was truly incredible.

Besides Ajax my other interest is music and, how corny, the most important thing is my girlfriend, the reason I am in England in the first place.

Guess that's about it.
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr jul 29, 2005 11:01 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:(I've just had a thought - this is really like Alcoholics Anonymous #My names Brian and I'm an Ajax fan" :blush: )
Welcome Brian, you are among friends...lol

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr jul 29, 2005 11:09 am

OK. Bertrand Chardon from France. 24 years old. I am a Software Engineer and used to work for a consulting company located in Paris (I live 15 kms south in the suburbs). My political stance ? Ecology is a far more important matter than left wing, right wing or even liberalism. One of my main fears is the planet dying and people not realizing it is. Anyway, on a more personal side, people generally tend to think that I'm weird (and they're a lot, so that must be true).

I fell in love with Ajax/Oranje in the 87/88 years. I didn't follow Dutch domestic football much before 2000, the year I discovered this fantastic community, because we don't have any broadcasts and informations here (too few fans and the cultural gap). But I plan to come to every single home game this year (by train), because I'm the lucky bearer of a season card.

My love for Holland isn't bounded to football by the way, I used to support the Dutch guy or gal in every sport (and still do) : Blijlevens and Boogerd in the Tour de France, Krajicek (an Ajacied) in tennis, Holland and Apeldoorn in volley, the Indiana Pacers and Rik Smits in the NBA, Rijtsma and Romme in ice-skating, Pieter Van den Hoogenband and so on..... Is it a direct consequence of the Flemsih ancestors I had in the 16th century ?? Maybe... I don't know.

One of my dreams ? Living in the United States for a few years. I've loved foreign languages and culture ever since I was a child and played Zelda 1 on my Nintendo Entertainment Sysem in English. We didn't understand a damn word with my friends, but we were fascinated.

I'm done.
meh :|

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » vr jul 29, 2005 11:28 am

Well I'm Mark Reeves, I live in Amsterdam binnenstad near Fredericksplein. I have an American wife, a Japanese dog, and six-year-old identical twin sons, Sean & Dylan. Sadly S&D are much more interested in cricket than football these days, but I'm working on that. I'm taking them to the tournament this weekend, see if I can get soemthing going.

I own half of the Reeves Agency, an international advertising/PR/design/brand-strategy-development agency, that is situated at Westeinde 6, opposite the Nederlands Bank. My wife ownes the other half.

We're small but growing, we now have 22 personnel and we turned over €2 million in 2005

I also own one third of a sound-recording studio called R3 Sound which turned over precisely €756 in 2005! But we are planning to re-launch the studio in February 2006, hopefully with more success.

My specific job is director of advertising planning. It's kind of a complicated job to explain but it entails using research to find some insight into the target market segment's collective minds, and what adverts will need say to appeal to them. So I brief the creatives, and they go off and make the advert. We come back in to the process later, to test if the advert had the desired effect. We also have to keep an eye on what's going on culturaly, so there is an element of cultural anthropology about what we do. I also need to know what the next big thing is going to be, the so-called 'cool-hunting' function. Finally we are a source of general strategic information for the rest of the agency and our clients, providing them with any relevant information concerning us, competitors, or the world at large. We look for weak-signals in the environment that may a precursor of something that may have a long-term affect on our work.

I'm originaly from God's own city of Birmingham, England - but I've lived in the Amsterdam since 1987. I actually came here to run CAT scanners. Firstly, at the OLVG, and later at the Boven Ij Ziekenhuis.
Laatst gewijzigd door The Purple Cow op zo jan 22, 2006 3:47 pm, 3 keer totaal gewijzigd.

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » vr jul 29, 2005 12:03 pm

My name is Robert, I'm 21 and I am from Poland. I was born in Warsaw, but I'm living in Piaseczno (it's near our capital). I am studying polish philology at university in Warsaw (the best university in Poland :D ). I love Ajax since I was a child and I don't remember exactly how it started. I was an Ajacied before our club became very popular in the people of my age after winning in Champions League in 1995 and I still am. I might say, that it was love at first sight. I always loved Ajax for their offensive play, great atmosphere on stadium and their history.

I was on Ajax games few times thanks to my uncle, who had (unfortunately: had) a firm in Scheveningen and I have gone with him, when he went from Poland to Netherlands. Unfortunately- my last game was match Ajax vs Barcelona in AT few years ago. Now I don't have a time and (the main problem) money to go on ArenA.

Few years ago I have joined Polish Brigade, in my opinion the best polish fan club of Ajax. We have flag, scarfs, website and few friends in Amsterdam, which help members of our fan club when someone of us came to Amsterdam.

In my city other football fans treat me like a weird guy, because Ajax (hard to write that) is not very popular club in Poland. Especially in my city- there are only Legia's fans and (as you know) they are friends with ADO fans, so it means that all of them hate Ajax...

I hope that after studies I will be on Ajax games more often... Now my contacts with Ajax are limited to watching games on TV, view websites, go on Ajax chats (greetings for Marleen, moderator of chat on ajax.nl) and writing articles on our polish www site (believe me, my polish is much better than english :blush: )

I don't have a wife and good job, so I might to say that Ajax is biggest love in my life. Besides Ajax I like music (Asgaard, Godsmack, Iron Maiden, Dark Tranquillity and many more), computer games (Diablo 2, Football Manager 2005, Starcraf, NHL), books (Stephen King, Graham Masterton, Tom Clancy) and few other sports: ski-jumping, ice hockey (Colorado Avalanche rulzzzz) and boxing...

bryan

Bericht door bryan » vr jul 29, 2005 12:13 pm

My name is Bryan (surprise) and I am from a small island in the eastern Atlantic. I lived in Diemen from the ages of four to seven, from 1986-1989. You could see De Meer stadium from our house (there was no A10 motorway then) and we always knew when Utrecht, Feyenoord or ADO were in town, because the ME horses would leave shit all over the pavement. My first Ajax match was Ajax-Dundalk (4-0) and I think I may have been cheering for the other team. Apparently Frank Stapleton scored though, so the result wasn't all bad.

My family later returned in 1995, this time to Amstelveen, and we have been here ever since. I must confess that I haven't been to an Ajax match in over a year, because I don't have the cash. Of the years I have been here, Jari Litmanen and Shota Arveladze are my favourite players, and Michael Laudrup is the best Ajax player I have witnessed with my own eyes (although Jari runs him very close). The best manager Ajax have had in my time is Morten Olsen.

Sherman Fleischer

Bericht door Sherman Fleischer » vr jul 29, 2005 7:35 pm

I don't post much on here, but do lurk quite religiously. Thought I'd introduce myself all the same.

I'm David, 25, born in Philadelphia, lived mostly in Ohio, just moved to the Washington DC area.

Since politics and political leanings seem to be obligatory, I, like Menno, come from a left leaning, non soccer watching family. I got interested in Ajax during 1994-95 season of glory. At that time, ESPN had the rights to Dutch league soccer (don't ask me why) and I would get up on Sundays (along with 10 other people in the whole country, all of whom post on this message board, I'm sure) and watch them play. The midweek Champions League games often featured Ajax as well and so for the whole year, the only soccer I watched was Ajax. I grew to love the way they played and the fact that a bunch of kids were beating the pants off of seasoned professionals.

I have continued to follow Ajax since, though ESPN's decision not to renew their contract to show Dutch temporarily limited my ability to do so. Since the advent of the Internet, I have upped my Ajax diet to perhaps unhealthy levels.

The highlight of my career as an Ajax fan came in 2004, when I traveled to Amsterdam for the rendevous and was able to meet several people on this forum.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr jul 29, 2005 9:00 pm

Sherman Fleischer schreef: The highlight of my career as an Ajax fan came in 2004, when I traveled to Amsterdam for the rendevous and was able to meet several people on this forum.
I should add that Sherman Fleischer can now use his ENTIRE favourite nick and that he kicks ass :D
meh :|

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » vr jul 29, 2005 9:19 pm

Nice idea guys :xyxthumbs:

So where should i start... my name is Hector i´m 20, i live in beutiful and sunny Maracaibo, Venezuela. My love story with ajax must start at about age ten(around the 94 world cup) i was kind of looking at a team to support during the tournament( At the time Venezuelan football sucked really badly, we still suck but its getting better). I remember asking my dad about are last name Severeyn oh man and what a surprise when he told me the whole story about my great great grandfather John, dutch born, emigrated to Aruba and then to Venezuela, hell i had dutch blood in me(thin but none the less). So i suported the orange at the 94 world cup turns out that i loved the way they played, everything about them was original,unique etc thats what hooked me.Now when does ajax come into the frey??? well some have said before me Espn had the rights to the dutch league so i started watching the games on sunday morning´s and Boom!!!! it hapened i fell in love with this young,confident,arrogant team with a unique yet winning philosophy.
I screamed like hell when kluivert sliped the ball under rossi's body, shed tears when Jugovich scored the final penalty the next year for juve( that year i saw my first and only ajax game live Ajax-Real Madrid at the Bernabeu stadium champs league group stage :yes: ) I have loved this team ever since.
Ajax for me is something special, i visited amsterdam in 2001 and fell in love with the City and the culture and by that fell even more in love with Ajax. The fallowing year was a tough one for me, my 2 grandfather´s died a month apart, i got my heart broken for the first time and things in Venezuela went way wrong(politicaly and economicaly) but that same year I had Ajax at its best, they gave me reasons to smile when i really dident have any, they made me laugh and feel proud when there was nothing to be proud off... Ajax is not the most important thing for me in my life i have my family and god for that but there nothing like watching a good ajax game of footy when youre feeling down.

I LOVE YOU AJAX; AND I ALWAYS WILL

Peace :headbang:

PS: for those off you who wonder about my english i was actually raised in the DC area from age 2 to 7 then i went back to Venezuela. Thats why i like Hockey and American football GO Caps :headbang: Lets go Redskins :eusa_dance:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Sherman Fleischer

Bericht door Sherman Fleischer » vr jul 29, 2005 10:14 pm

Carcajou schreef: I should add that Sherman Fleischer can now use his ENTIRE favourite nick and that he kicks ass :D
Well, it's actually not quite the full nickname. That would be "Sherman Fleischer and the Jewish Pianists" (a soccer team I once played on, the name of which has no anti-semitic connotations - I myself am Jewish). It is better than Sherman Fleische.

I will agree about the kicking ass part, though! :bis:

Frans

Bericht door Frans » za jul 30, 2005 7:00 am

Well, I'm Frans, 19 years old, student. I was born in Holland (Zeist), but have lived in New Zealand for the last 18 years. Never been to a live Ajax game, but I have been to a world cup final. (U-17's) ;) . I watch as many Ajax games on TV as I can, which amounts to about 1 every 6 weeks.
Anyway, the long-term plan is to get back to Holland someday and take in some live Ajax games. Just as soon as I have the money and my degree. so probably not in the near future.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » za jul 30, 2005 8:03 am

OK here we go.....My name is Rudy Hulsman, I'm 40, and I'm the General Manager ("Directeur Général") of Walibi Belgium, the largest theme park park in Belgium. Before anyone asks, no I don't have free tickets!

I was born in Holland, but I travelled a lot when I was young (Holland 'til 5, Germany 'til 8, school in the UK, a year in France, 6 months in the US, 15 years in Canada, and now 3 years in Belgium. I'm married, and have three kids (12, 9, 6), a dog, a cat, goldfish e.t.c.

My politics (since that seems to be required) is centre/right (which puts me in the minority on this board!) and pro European for anyone who cares.

Spending many formative years in the UK, I followed Notts County (oldest team in the world) home and away. For the record this was in the Forest 'glory years' which made it tough! At the same time I always followed Holland internationally. I support all Dutch teams in European competitions, but have always preffered it's best exponents....Ajax. When living in Canada I got to watch far more Dutch football than I did in the UK and started to see more and more of Ajax, particularly in the CL (I'm talking mid '90s). The beauty of the football, and fact that it was a return to the '70s style and flair led me to search the web for more info, which is how I stumbled across Ajax USA, one of the best football websites I know of. Now that we live back in Europe I try to get to at least one game a season, usually when the Ajax USA trip is scheduled to meet up with other members.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za jul 30, 2005 10:36 am

Sherman Fleischer schreef:
Since the advent of the Internet, I have upped my Ajax diet to perhaps unhealthy levels.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :D
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

DanK

Bericht door DanK » za jul 30, 2005 10:58 am

Frans schreef:Well, I'm Frans, 19 years old, student. I was born in Holland (Zeist), but have lived in New Zealand for the last 18 years.
New Zealand. Isn't that one of the states of Australia??? ;)

Good to see someone else on here from the south. we know the pain of getting up at 4:30am to watch live ajax games.
Frans schreef:Never been to a live Ajax game, but I have been to a world cup final. (U-17's) ;) . I watch as many Ajax games on TV as I can, which amounts to about 1 every 6 weeks. Anyway, the long-term plan is to get back to Holland someday and take in some live Ajax games. Just as soon as I have the money and my degree. so probably not in the near future.
Maybe we can start a partition to have the team play some pre-season friendlies in Australia so its not so far (or expensive) for us to travel. :eusa_pray:

I am sure Menno can use his contacts to put in a good word...Menno if you can pull this one out of the bag, there's a few free beers and accomodation in Melbourne for you mate! :xyxthumbs:

Frans

Bericht door Frans » za jul 30, 2005 11:25 am

DanK schreef:
Frans schreef:Well, I'm Frans, 19 years old, student. I was born in Holland (Zeist), but have lived in New Zealand for the last 18 years.
Australia. Isn't that the 51st state of america? ;)

DanK schreef: we know the pain of getting up at 4:30am to watch live ajax games.
and then when you switch on the tv you find out they're just replaying last weeks match. :nooo:

DanK

Bericht door DanK » zo jul 31, 2005 12:45 am

Frans schreef:
DanK schreef:
Australia. Isn't that the 51st state of america? ;)
touche...actually England is the 51st state...australia is the 52nd

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » zo jul 31, 2005 3:30 am

Hi everybody. My name is Alex, and I'm an Ajaxaholic...

I'm 32 years old and I live with in Falls Church, Virginia my wife and the World's Youngest Ajax Fan (my six month old son).

I first became aware of soccer in general in 1988 as my parents, immigrants from Oegstgeest and Den Haag, cheered Holland on to European Championship glory. I really got into the game in 1990, though, after Italia. Even though it was a boring WC, the passion of the clubs and the aura around the Oranje (or machina naranja - Orange Machine - as the announcers on the Spanish-language channel in Houston referred to Holland) really turned me on to the sport and its fans. From there I didn't have to look too far to identify Ajax as the core and inspiration of the Oranje and its wonderful style of play.

I lived in Greece for a while and went to a few Panathinaikos matches, where I had fun dodging chairs, frappes and teargas, but in my heart I really only have one team. I follow alot of other sports, though, and will always root for my hometown Houston Astros (baseball) and Texans (gridiron). I picked up cricket while living in the West Indies and rugby after marrying a Welsh girl.

My favorite Ajax moment is also the Ajax USA reunion of 2004, where, in addition to watching Ajax win a pivotal match, I got to meet a bunch of the people on this board. I long for the day when I manage to make it back to Holland (I have plans to move there one day, but who knows if that will ever happen) so I can occupy a seat at the ArenA for an entire season.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Feest

Bericht door Feest » zo jul 31, 2005 3:47 am

Kowalczyk schreef: I remember adoring the jersey and, most importantly, players of PSV and Feyenoord all had moustaches and weird hair. They seemed old. Like uncles. The Ajax players were younger and cooler in my experience (Johnny van 't Schip was one of my first 'heroes'). They were like older brothers, boys next door. There was something irresistible about them that I instantly felt.

K.
There's that homo-erotic connection again between Ajax players and its fans.

Minka

Bericht door Minka » zo jul 31, 2005 4:45 am

Hey Hey Hey folks the names Abhijit (don't worry I don't expect you to be able to pronounce it ), I am Indian , I live in Australia and I work for a bank.
I must have been 10 when I saw this clip on tv of a footballer in a dutch jersey go all the way to the touch line with the ball and excecute this perfect flawless beautiful turn , which left his opponent dazed.
In the early 90's cable tv began invading India and I keep seeing this Dutch side play brilliant football, they had passion, they had flair andthey were just a tad older than I was and they had no qualms arout running circles around the oldies.
I fell in love with ajax football. In a country where the few who watch football root for Manchester United , Barcelona , Real Madrid , Milan , Juventus and PSV ( They played in India afew years ago ) , I am the odd man out a diehard Ajax fan . i watched the mighty ajax of 95 , the beggining of the end in 96 , the high spend on old worn out stars , the return of youth the run to the quaterfinal ( we were almost mighty again - oh what a false dawn that was but I loved every minute of it )and the terrible mistakes of last year and I have remained loyal.

Plaats reactie