'J.C.' - The Omnipresent Oracle

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Re: 'J.C.' - The Omnipresent Oracle

Bericht door Dubbel » do sep 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:If it's to get Ling as managing director.... :excited.gif:
How come you don't like the idea of Ling as GM?

I don't mean to attack you with this but I am just curious about your reasons. His resume for GM is better than any of the other candidates, having run a successful business and actually having been the GM at a football club before. For the rest there is not that much relevant info I can find on him so I really can't judge if he is a good fit at GM or not. I like to think he'd do well but that's another matter.

I have my own reasons for liking Ling. When Ajax started for me he played at 7 and was awesome at it. Later, as a late teen, I met him at a nightclub in Den Haag, shortly after he retired, and you could clearly tell he had potential. Monsieur Ling didn't want to talk about football but luckily we both turned out to be Talking Heads fans. :headbang.gif:

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr sep 23, 2011 2:08 pm

And here's another reason why you don't want to mess with Ling:

"Fighting with the Stars 2007: Tscheu La Ling (ex Ajax) v John de Wolf (ex Fword)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0g5RcQPjxk

:smallgrin.gif:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di sep 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Dubbel schreef:
Cedric_AeF schreef:If it's to get Ling as managing director.... :excited.gif:
How come you don't like the idea of Ling as GM?

I don't mean to attack you with this but I am just curious about your reasons. His resume for GM is better than any of the other candidates, having run a successful business and actually having been the GM at a football club before. For the rest there is not that much relevant info I can find on him so I really can't judge if he is a good fit at GM or not. I like to think he'd do well but that's another matter.

I have my own reasons for liking Ling. When Ajax started for me he played at 7 and was awesome at it. Later, as a late teen, I met him at a nightclub in Den Haag, shortly after he retired, and you could clearly tell he had potential. Monsieur Ling didn't want to talk about football but luckily we both turned out to be Talking Heads fans. :headbang.gif:
I don't know him and like any (or most of the) other former players I tended to have sympathy for him, but the way he manifested himself in interviews this summer was awful imho. That might be light for having a negative opinion but I can assume this. :blush.gif:
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » do okt 06, 2011 7:46 pm

So what's all the fuzz about bringing back Marco Van Basten as technical director?
May the Force be with you

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » za okt 08, 2011 11:40 am

I don't who is more out of sorts , the playing squad or the Board . Speaking of bored, I pray this saga won't be the longest running drama since the Thirty Years War or like Eastenders without hot women..
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do jan 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Translation of an interview gave to Voetbal International for their Christmas issue, from the Netherlands World Cup Blog...

http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org/

Johan Cruyff. Who doesn’t know him. People all over the world know his name ( and can’t pronounce it). He revolutionised football as a player, as a coach and as a union-leader ( of sorts). Now, he wants to put Ajax back on the international map as an executive.

The man who is revered in Spain ( or better: Catalonia) and is mentioned by Pep Guardiola as the Godfather of the current Dream Team is manhandled out of Ajax and Amsterdam by a bunch of bread-governors ( and one former Ajax icon). But they don’t know their history. Because a pissed off Cruyff always wins.

Ask Ajax in 1983/1984.

How often does Danny tell you: Johan, walk away! Let them sink in their own shit?

JC: “Haha, she tells me every day. But she knows me. I won’t walk away. Never. And that is for two reasons. One, this opposition only fires me up more. These people think they can take over our club. Wrong! They made a mistake. And secondly, we are with many people now and I won’t abandon my brothers in arms. The more resistance we get, the more motivated we get… It’s the old “every disadvantage has it’s advantage” motto again, remember? It’s a mystery to us why these people are treating us like this and why the other two ( means Davids and Romer) are behaving like this. Every time we seemed to make progress, someone else cam from the shadows to put a knife in our back! Never in your face. Always from behind.”

When did you realise the Board of Directors were blocking progress?

“This happened six months ago or so. It was a tough time. There was a lot of lack of clarity for all. We had a good group of real football blokes together but we couldn’t do a lot as we needed a new Board. We were without a captain but we were talking to a number of great guys for future roles, such as Marco van Basten. He indicated he’d prefer to be a coach somewhere and Frank Rijkaard also wanted to stay on the grass. Marc Overmars was keen but he felt too inexperienced to do it. And Tscheu La Ling was also a candidate…”

How did he come into the picture?

“Well, Ling had his dealings with that club Trencin. Leo van Veen works there and we had people checking him ut. Wim Suurbier went to have a look and Maarten Fontein, no slouch, checked the whole thing out and we liked what we saw. We spoke with Ling a number of times and we had a good idea of his vision and methods. So, I suggested him formally to the Board. And I asked them to talk to Ling. Only Ten Have and Olfers did. Davids and Romer never talked to him. After three or four weeks, I asked Ten Have what the status was and he said “oh yeah, no we decided not to go ahead…”. Half of the Board didn’t even speak to him! But they did have a judgement! I don’t accept that from anyone. I want to hear a motivation, based on research and facts. And this is where the shadow dancing started.”

But, they didn’t want Ling, so why would you hold on to him?

“Principle! I’m fine if the Board has reasons not to go with someone, but they didn’t go through the process. They hardly did any homework. It’s about values for me. Not Ling or Pete or John. And then Ten Have said there was a “blemish on Ling”. So, that made me think. As by then, I still had a high regard of Ten Have and Olfers. They are professionals. So I didn’t want egg on my face and I did even more research into Ling. And I couldn’t find a blemish. So I went back to Ten Have and said: “If you allow two board members to liquidate a candidate without a proper investigation, you are not longer trustworthy in my eyes.” That is when I started to gather the troops. We had a battle on our hand.”

And you also came into a Board Meeting with Jonk, Bergkamp and Ling. That is not done…

“Ha! The Board never spoke with Ling, Bergkamp and Jonk about all this. I decided to confront them. I broke into the meeting as they wouldn’t be able to run away or hide. Ten Have did his “good governance spiel” and said we couldn’t do this in a formal meeting. So I said: adjourn the formal meeting and let’s have a round table conversation. What do I care about what we call the meeting? But that is the culture now. Minutes, procedures, constitutions. People hide behind these things and play powergames.”

So what needed to be discussed?

“The “no” against Ling and the so-called “blemishes” and Edgar Davids criticism on the youth management. I thought that was uncalled for. Davids did a practicum with Wim Jonk. Learned from him. Jonk put a lot of hours in Davids and instead of talking to Jonk about his ideas, he would say nothing but go to the Board Meeting to tell them how bad the youth system functions!! Ex team mates!! They spent time in the dressing room together! In trainings camps. I asked Davids, what are you talking about? He said that youth coaches didn’t know what to do…. I was flabbergasted. Our plan is given to all the coaches, on paper. We had numerous sessions with all of them. Ridiculous. So I asked Davids, did you ever discuss it with Dennis or Wim. He said yes. I checked with Jonk. Do you know when Edgar discussed it? Once, walking from the dressing room to the field. That is a one and a half minute walk!! Unbelievable. If you see problems somewhere, you address it! Particularly when you know the people well. You don’t tell on them in a board meeting, with a lawyer and an organisation guru and a tv producer. For crying out loud! And do you know what Davids said to Jonk, in that 1,5 minute talk? That the youth system had spend too much money last year. So I got angry in the meeting and said to Edgar: “What kind of man are you anyway? If you can’t serve the club, all of you, you are better to take your stuff and go home!” I used language I shouldn’t have used, I’m sure….But I couldn’t believe my ears and that was only the start of it…”

And then the Board wanted to announce Marco van Basten… What went wrong there?

“Everyone wanted Marco. I did too. But I was on a holiday and suddenly the Board started to take all sorts of decisions without me in the loop. They did things behind my back. I felt that Marco should have had a conversation with Dennis and Wim before he was installed. Furthermore, Marco wanted to bring his mate Dennis Heijn in as commercial manager and I said…well…let’s wait with that. Let’s follow due process here. And the Board said: “Johan, you have no jurisdiction over finance, marketing and HR” and I said ” I know.” And I think that is all good, I don’t have a lot of expertise there, but I do know that you need to advertise for these roles and you need to make a profile description and follow process. You can’t simply get a guy because his mate wants him! Listen, I love Marco but like anyone, he has blind spots. I have blind spots too. So, I wanted to protect Marco and say to him: not smart. I met this Dennis. He’s a fine bloke. It wasn’t about the person, but the process. Again, the principle. We need to do this right! Now we can do it right, so we should do it right. The whole world was looking, or IS looking at us through a spyglass. We can not screw up… Well….”

Did you get the jurisdiction over the technical aspects of the organisation?

“Yes, I did, but it was verbally done in the member council. There is no contract which confirms this. What do I know. I always do business on a handshake and trust. Expecting that in “my” Ajax I could certainly do this. But Ten Have and Co work with the constitution on their lap and smother you with legalese. Very confusing. But I thought, if the Board thinks yours truly, Bergkamp, Jonk, De Boer and Molenaar can not structure the technical side of Ajax, for God’s sakes, who can!??!?!? Right? That is the question. Not the question whether it was agreed in a contract….”

Did you ever think you could actually work with this Board?

“Listen, I was not part of the decision making process with regards to this Board. I do acknowledge that having an organisational expert, a lawyer, an ex player and a media person is smart. But they think and operate differently. I had that with Rik van den Boog as well. Former IBM manager. Example: I am talking to him for months about restructuring. I bring people to meetings and all ex players and people with brains. So we structure it all on paper, and once we needed him to ratify, he suddenly said: “Ok, well I will think about it….”. I thought I lost it! What?? I have to think about it??? That is when I realised that the officials have the power to stall things. No football brains, but governance power and they can frustrate a lot.”

What did this teach you?

“That we need to have someone in the management chair who agrees with our vision and plans! I don’t need someone who does exactly what I want. Trust me. I don’t like Yes Men. I always get that criticism but it’s not true. I am smarter than that. I want people to listen to me. And then make up their own mind and take responsibility. But if they don’t back my vision, I need to hear why. With arguments. And now I’m dealing with people who block all my ideas because they are my ideas. They don’t argue or reason, they frustrate and block!”

And then someone suddenly announced Louis van Gaal as the new general manager!

“Like a flash of lightning on a clear day. It’s so weird. Michael van Praag ( ex chairman) new about the animosity between Ten Have and me and he asked us to please spend time together to discuss things. And we did. For hours. First the two of us. Then with Keje Molenaar and Margreet Olfers and others. We discussed Marco van Basten, as the potential management candidate. We wanted him to reconsider. We did not ever discuss Louis van Gaal, or Danny Blind for that matter. Keje Molenaar pleaded with the both of us to keep regular contact. But since those meetings I didn’t hear from Ten Have for two weeks. I simply couldn’t reach him. And the next thing I know is, Louis van Gaal is announced as manager! The weird thing is that the membership council had installed a new committee to prepare a presentation for Marco van Basten! They spend days working on that. And a mere couple of hours before this committee was to present this to the members, the news broke! It was clear as crystal that the Board wanted to take control and disrespect and disregarded me and the wishes of the members. A coupe.”

And then you had a court case against your own club. That must have hurt?

“Well, it wasn’t so much against the club, but against a small group of individuals in the club. But we do this for Ajax. For the future. It’s always draining to be in this position and it costs money and time and blabla. But the whole world is watching. I’ve read pieces in the US media about how “ex-players of Ajax want to save the club” etc. We can not give in. I believe we are actually doing something revolutionary. Look at the members at Liverpool and Man United, who they struggled with their owners. I believe at Barcelona there was a time when the chairman election hurt the club. It’s time for the members to stand up and take control. Power to the people. Occupy Ajax, haha.”

During the court case, people uttered criticism on the youth development system. Is that criticism justified?

“Let me start by saying that in my book, the way Ajax does it now is the right way. We have 20 ex top players working with the kids and trust me, no one has to tell them how to play the game. On top of that, we have experts for topics like physio, nutrition, endurance, health, etc… The problem is not that you can’t make mistakes. I’m sure we make mistakes! The trick is to 1) recognise them and 2) deal with them. Do you believe Van Gaal will introduce a system without mistakes or gaps or faults? Wake up! And I do know ex players don’t know everything. We need experts, like you have in a team. Some say, I was the best player of the world. But I wasn’t the best right back in the world! That was Wim Suurbier. And I surely wasn’t the best goal keeper in the world. You need team work to get to results.”

And you had mental coach Derk de Kloet and before you knew it the interim management came in and sacked him?

“Haha, yes. The Board appointed an interim manager with the idea to clean up shop before Van Gaal came in. Very very obvious. This bloke, Sturkenberg or Sturkeman….”

Sturkenboom?

“Him yeah. He was with Ajax for two weeks and then he gave two yellow cards to Wim Jonk. What the F? I went to talk to him. I complimented him about being able to judge people in their work without ever having had a conversation with them. He was passing judgement on De Kloet, Jongkind and Van der Moot at the Toekomst, without ever having been there… Well… This guy walks in and thinks he can determine who is right and who is wrong? Without acknowledging the position of Jonk and Bergkamp. I sent him an email: I walked into your office without any illusions and I walked out of your office without any illusions…”

And then it sort of exploded…

“Well, Ten Have started to say to the press that Ling was involved in some dirty scheme, some bribing thing. They said in the media that I was hard to contact, whereas Ten Have himself hid from us for weeks and weeks. And on top of that the Davids racism thing came up! They sent a letter to the Telegraaf newspaper to say I shouldn’t publish a column in their paper anymore. And no one had the balls to tell me in my face?! Sorry, I can’t accept that.”

Davids appeared to be deeply offended.

“Yeah, well sorry. In the context, it was perfectly normal. I believe Davids was set up against us, by certain forces. Everyone knows I’m not a racist. Athletes never are. I played and worked with all sorts of people and in sports race, colour, religion don’t count. Ask my good friends Frank Rijkaard and Aron Winter. If someone claims I’m a racist, they should be locked up. And I explained this to Edgar. His spot on the Board was there because Frank Rijkaard, mind you, heard that many dark players left Ajax as they didn’t feel a connection with their culture. So, Frank called me and said: in management and the board, who represents the Suriname culture? Remember this crap with De Kabel in the 90s? Under Louis van Gaal, ironically? So we decided to find a board member with cultural links to Suriname. I probably said it a bit harshly, and taken out of context it’s probably questionable. But I don’t need to defend myself. I believe Davids’ reaction afterwards was clear. Someone fed him this and used him.”

In what way?

“I actually don’t blame Davids and Romer a lot. They are good people but they are out of their depth and being used by Ten Have. Ten Have is a shrewd operator, with the gift of the gab. I’ve done my homework. I’ve talked to people close to Romer and they don’t recognise their old mate. And I talked to people in Ten Have’s circle and I don’t mean enemies, his friends!! And his modus operandus is to move into an organisation, find the weakest links and work them with psychological games. If there’s people he doesn’t like, he’ll work them. He’ll feed information to others, he pressures people. He’s a piece of work. And this man is after power at Ajax? Over my dead body!”

So, what if Jonk gets the third yellow card?

“Haha, the shit will hit the fan. If Jonk goes, I think Bergkamp will go too. That will be not so good. It’s obviously an attack on me too. We’ll see what the members and the fans will do. No one will accept this.”

The crucial point in this, is that you don’t believe Ajax needs a general manager for football affairs?

“Correct! We have first team, youth development and scouting. Then there’s all the contractual stuff and all that. This is too much for one man. Any manager with a football background will eventually step on the toes of the head coach. This is classic. You see it all the time and ironically, it happened already with Van Gaal, back then with Koeman! If De Boer, Bergkamp and Jonk take care of business, you only need someone with know how on finance, marketing and HR. This structure was determined long before and suddenly the board wants to shove it aside and put the old structure in?? That is ridiculous. You can’t run a club or any organisation like this. I call that a coupe.”

Frank de Boer won’t be too happy. He’s working well with you and Dennis but he also has ties with Danny Blind and Louis van Gaal?

“That is too bad. This situation will not be solved by being Mr Nice Guy. Frank will need to make a decision. He’s the head coach. He needs to step up. Frank needs to say who he will support: Wim and Dennis or Louis and Danny.”

So, tell us one more time…. How did that situation between you and Van Gaal get so out of hand?

“For me, when he stepped into the Barcelona job and immediately told the world he would revolutionise the youth system, as it wasn’t functioning. That was quite a kick in the teeth, not just to me, but to dozens of people in Barcelona. I was instrumental in that system, with Tonnie Bruins Slot and Van Gaal sent away busloads of players he didn’t like. The next thing you know, he brings busloads of Dutch players and coaches to Camp Nou. That was a massive mistake. Barcelona has culture. Has history, and Van Gaal bulldozered through this like an elephant. If you don’t recognise what that identity needs, you are not fit to be Barcelona’s coach. Pep Guardiola recently said that the current success of Barcelona was seeded in my time. That opinion is worth much more to me than what Mr Van Gaal has to say about it.”

Some people think you and Van Gaal could still work together.

“Forget about it. We are too different. Personality wise but also our football vision. To say it simplistically: I work with the individual and see that as a strength. Van Gaal works with the collective and sees individuality as a weakness.”

So what is the Cruyff vision exactly?

“We look at a dozen characteristics per player. We skip the whole age thing, we look at the players from a development perspective. Some are mature when they’re 14 years old, others need more time. We look at technical skills and physical strength, but also intelligence, communication skills and character. It’s a dynamic system where we develop individual development plans per player. And we use different experts for different things. One player might work every day with a running coach, to improve his speed, while another player doesn’t need that, but the other one needs a lot of video work, to allow him to develop his vision… I don’t give a rats’ ass what kind of results the youth teams get. I don’t want them to win titles. I don’t believe winning youth titles work that well. They get complacent. I want them to struggle, haha. A good left winger needs to play right full back for a spell. To get him to see things in perspective. ”

What makes Dennis and Wim so special for Ajax?

“Haha! That is the key question. For starters, their experience. Secondly, they’re both intelligent and educated lads. In my generation, you didn’t have that. Only Theo van Duivenbode and Keje Molenaar made it big outside of football. But the younger generation is well educated. Another advantage is that they love the club, work their butts off and are very nice guys in the process. And Wim and Dennis are not keen to leave. It’s not a career thing. It’s for life. Wim loves Volendam and doesn’t want to leave and Dennis doesn’t fly. Plus, good people attract good people. With those two, we got Overmars, Stam, Johnny Bosman, Ronald de Boer, etc etc. They are Ajax’ future.”

You never wanted to be in the Board. And here you are…

“I know but it had to be done. And if the members send the Board away, I’ll happily leave and come back as advisor to the lads, if they want me.”

Are you still enjoying all this?

“I do actually. It’s important to keep on smiling. And the objectives are important. It’s not about me or my career, it’s about Ajax. If the current Board mucks it up a lot of football know how will be lost for Ajax and that is a very bad thing. You know what I think is cool? When Van Gaal’s name came out, all the youth coaches went to see a lawyer. Immediately. In the past, people looked at me to start something. But these chaps all took responsibility. I feel very much part of a bigger team. And I think that we need to disappoint the board. If they thought we’d lie down and go away, well… It’s not going to happen! So, Goodnight and Good Luck! No one is going to stop us!”
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jan 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:Translation of an interview gave to Voetbal International for their Christmas issue, from the Netherlands World Cup Blog...

http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org/
Cheers, excellent intersting article. It's good to read something direct from one of the main protagonists rather than just the opinions of some commentator or other or the Pravda type commentary from some other quarters. Good to see something properly translated too - Google is great but some of their translations can be a little grating.....
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr jan 27, 2012 3:55 am

Great read. Thanks for posting. Well lets all just hope that somehow we come out of this awful mess stronger.

Hup Ajax!!

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr jan 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I want to see what Cruyff is really capable of...

acab

Bericht door acab » ma feb 06, 2012 2:17 pm

souras84 schreef:I want to see what Cruyff is really capable of...

Every 60- or 70-years old man can tell you that. MIRACLES! We, the younger ones, might don't remember, but "old boys" do :)

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 07, 2012 10:31 am

BREAKING: Cruijff won the lawsuit.

After the last verdict Cruijff appealed to a higher court and he just got his way. The General and Technical Directors (Martin Sturkenboom and Louis van Gaal, respectively) were appointed by the Board of Commissioners in an unlawful way. They may not be appointed. The search for a new Board of Directors can start. This will almost certainly be the job of a new Board of Commissioners: it is generally expected that the current BoC will resign (Ten Have, Olfers, Römer and Davids, the four who were 'at war' with Cruijff).

K.
Still alive...

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » di feb 07, 2012 11:17 am

Does this mean that we are going to get some semblance of stability and be able to get on with running the team the way it should be? I sincerely hope so.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di feb 07, 2012 11:40 am

I hope this civil war within can now end. My hope was that who ever loses will walk away . Ten Have and his gang of 4 should now walk away and not return.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di feb 07, 2012 2:16 pm

What it does mean is the changes in the youth program that were recommended by JC and implemented by Jong, Bergkamp and the others will continue. This is a good sign but of course it will take several years before we see the results.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » di feb 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Orange14 schreef:What it does mean is the changes in the youth program that were recommended by JC and implemented by Jong, Bergkamp and the others will continue. This is a good sign but of course it will take several years before we see the results.
ah yes, but hey! this is better than how we are.. barcelona didnt get amazing over night. lets remember that.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » di feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

does anyone believe we'll be barcelona sooner or later? what i mean is that unless messie Platini, impliments his financial fair play rule and gets the teams to respect it, whatever our academies do will be good for a couple of years until we sell the next bunch of wonderkids. that means that we should be able to be the youngest Champions League winners in a few years.... :confused.gif:

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di feb 07, 2012 4:54 pm

afcajax73 schreef:
Orange14 schreef:What it does mean is the changes in the youth program that were recommended by JC and implemented by Jong, Bergkamp and the others will continue. This is a good sign but of course it will take several years before we see the results.
ah yes, but hey! this is better than how we are.. barcelona didnt get amazing over night. lets remember that.
If someone promises me that in 10 years we'll be like Barca of right now, I will eat the bitter pill, sit and watch quietly (bitch and moan once in a while of course).

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di feb 07, 2012 5:10 pm

afcajax73 schreef:
hmm yes, playing in a massive league where real and barca take most of the tv money for themselves certainly helps.

there's nothing better about barca's youth system. the difference is money. if barca operated on the same budget as ajax then iniesta, xavi and messi would all have pissed off somewhere else for higher salary years ago, and cesc would still be at arsenal.

likewise, if we were operating on barca's budget, then we'd still have stekelenburg, sneijder, van der vaart, vermaelen. in fact our team today would look something like this:

stekelenburg*
van der wiel
vermaelen
chivu
vertonghen
van der vaart
de jong
sneijder
maxwell
huntelaar**
zlatan

* = stekelenburg, of course, would be making his first team debut this year, after van der sar retired after 21 seasons at ajax.
** = probably we would have bought david villa or samuel eto'o instead

Sorry about the reality check, but that's the truth. Deal with it. Cruijff doesn't live in reality, unfortunately. Remember, he left Ajax aged 26. Do you think the next Johan Cruijff is going to stay at Ajax in the Eredivisie untill he is 26? No way. If Johan Cruijff was born in the current generation he'd have gone to Barca already at the age of 22.

when pep guardiola says cruijff is the godfather of the current barca team, he means cruijff introduced the ajax style to barcelona. that was nice of cruijff to do that for barcelona. but amsterdam already knows about the ajax style. in fact, it was ajax who taught cruijff to play football.
Laatst gewijzigd door bryan op di feb 07, 2012 5:17 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

zeux

Bericht door zeux » di feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

bryan schreef:
afcajax73 schreef:
hmm yes, playing in a massive league where real and barca take most of the tv money for themselves certainly helps.

there's nothing better about barca's youth system. the difference is money. if barca operated on the same budget as ajax then iniesta, xavi and messi would all have pissed off somewhere else for higher salary years ago, and cesc would still be at arsenal.

likewise, if we were operating on barca's budget, then we'd still have stekelenburg, sneijder, van der vaart, vermaelen. in fact our team today would look something like this:

stekelenburg*
van der wiel
vermaelen
chivu
vertonghen
van der vaart
de jong
sneijder
maxwell
huntelaar**
zlatan

* = stekelenburg, of course, would be making his first team debut this year, after van der sar retired after 21 seasons at ajax.

Sorry about the reality check, but that's the truth. Deal with it. Cruijff doesn't live in reality, unfortunately.
Aaaaaaaarghh. So true. And so frustrating. Look at that line-up! (you could throw Seedorf in the mix, in a 'Rijkaard'-role).
Laatst gewijzigd door zeux op di feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di feb 07, 2012 5:18 pm

yeah sure, maybe seedorf would still be around. forgot about that!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di feb 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah that puts things back into perspective.

acab

Bericht door acab » di feb 07, 2012 5:47 pm

bryan schreef:
afcajax73 schreef:

stekelenburg*
van der wiel
vermaelen
chivu
vertonghen
van der vaart
de jong
sneijder
maxwell
huntelaar**
zlatan

Sorry about the reality check, but that's the truth. Deal with it. Cruijff doesn't live in reality, unfortunately. Remember, he left Ajax aged 26. Do you think the next Johan Cruijff is going to stay at Ajax in the Eredivisie untill he is 26? No way. If Johan Cruijff was born in the current generation he'd have gone to Barca already at the age of 22.

when pep guardiola says cruijff is the godfather of the current barca team, he means cruijff introduced the ajax style to barcelona. that was nice of cruijff to do that for barcelona. but amsterdam already knows about the ajax style. in fact, it was ajax who taught cruijff to play football.
I think he does. Cruyff allways cherished the money, do you really think he don't know all this about tv-money and stuff? C'mon man, don't underestimate him. I think you don't understand his message right. We are talking about the greatest player/coach in the world here. And something else - do you think the KNVB will take this desicion about the AZ-game if Cruyff was in charge? No way. So there are severals positiv aspects of his presence at Ajax

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di feb 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Well yes, he does know the reality, but his number one goal here is not to fix Ajax but to get his friends into jobs at Ajax and to piss off Louis van Gaal.

It's all politics. Politicians also tell us bullshit stories about how they are going to fix everything. We know that is just so that they can get our vote.

As with any form of politics, propaganda is required, and Cruijff is the master of it.

One thing is sure, if the difference between Barca and Ajax in terms of money was as massive in the 1970s as it is now, and the transfer markets as open as they are now, then Johan Cruijff would have been playing football in Barcelona in 1969 already.

He always skirts around the money issue when asked, saying things like, "you gotta be smart", an answer you'd expect from a politician. He also claims that Ajax was poor in the 1970s too. But this is not true. Ajax was a big club in a big city in the days before satellite TV money. We bought Velibor Vasovic from Red Star. Red Star was a European Cup finalist and Vasovic was their captain and talisman. Do you see the current Ajax buying one of the top players from a European Cup finalist? Do you see this happening? Of course not.

To be honest, I don't know to be more annoyed at Cruijff or the Dutch media for never pressing him in interviews.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di feb 07, 2012 6:49 pm

On Barca they have debts of 500m euros .If Ajax could run on such debts ie paying mega euros in wages not only would most of the above old players had stayed but we would have got even better players for some of them . Yes I do dream that if we have debts of 500m we would have kept all our stars and won the CL every year for years.

I really do not know what to expect now . The club is in a complete shambles so can some old super star living in Spain really change everything !! I had a moan yesterday that Blind
is not really doing that much with contracts but until he was appointed back in mid Nov. no one was involved with contracts .Blind will likely be out of ajob by Friday so I assume we
will back in limbo regards contracts .

I know thats a minor part of the problem but getting it wrong ie not extending certain players costs us millions.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di feb 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Well my original post about the youth system never mentioned Barca, that was a subsequent post. My only point is that there is a vision for the youth system that Cruyff espoused which I find reasonable. It's different from what was going on previous to last year when Jonk & Bergkamp (and some others) came in to remake it. Does Barca produce good players out of their academy? Of course they do. Look at the match the other day when dos Santos, Cuenca, Thiago, and Tello all started. This is the key point, not that they have lots of money and engage in deficit spending (both of which are true and they make dumb transfer moves like every other club in Europe). The point here is to have the best damn youth set up in the Netherlands (overtake Feyenoord) and not engage in delusional thinking that we are going to keep players for life and win countless CL matches. That ain't going to happen.

There has been talk about a combined Belgium/Netherlands premier league with the likes of Gent, Standard Liege, and Anderlecht moving into this league and how it will help improve the ability of these teams to compete in Europe. BS plain and simple. Television money and Petroeuros dictate which teams will be on top. It's continually amazing that Bayern prosper given they don't get the same type of TV money as English teams, Barca and Madrid do. What they do well is market the hell out of their brand bringing in lots of revenue to make up for this.

I'm a realist in that I think it will be fortunate if Ajax were ever to make the final eight in CL competition. I'll keep watching matches hoping that they will progress in the development of good young players and play exciting attacking football (as with some of the others I don't want to see us transfering in old over the hill players whether or not they have an Ajax pedigree).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Plaats reactie