Maarten Stekelenburg

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Maarten Stekelenburg

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 10, 2005 1:35 pm

We didn't have a Stekelenburg thread yet, so here you go... I am starting one because in some other thread Jakob was wondering what the f#ck happened to his talent.
jakobg schreef:How come he ended up being this crap? I remember watching him in the Amsterdam Tournament a few seasons ago and I though: This guy is gonna be one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He made a huge impression on me. But now, the times I've seen him, he's been a big 'no no'. Did Koeman destroy him as well with all his 'you're gonna be first choice goalie' and then bench him again a few games later? Or is it just that he hasn't got the head to be a top class keeper?
I am sure Koeman's neurotic 'goalkeepers' carroussel' didn't do him any good. At the start of the season he was told that he was the first man, but he soon found out that those words don't mean a thing if they come from Koeman's mouth. That must have hurt.

But it doesn't completely explain why he developed from 'the next Edwin van der Sar' into an extremely insecure and nervous goalkeeper, who always looks terrible on high crosses and seems completely 'shell-shocked' when Ajax are under pressure.

Something unusual happened to me: in my book he went from 'extremely promising' to 'absolutely shit' in less than one season's time. Apart from the Koeman thing I couldn't think of another factor that explains it. Anyone?

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mei 10, 2005 1:42 pm

As I said in the other thread:

My impression is that despite being a good shot stopper, he can't handle crosses (doesn't "own" the six yard box) and can't organize his defense.

Why that happened is anyone's guess. It sounds like his problems are psychological, as opposed to physical. Maybe some people don't react to pressure well.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 10, 2005 1:56 pm

Vonk and Lobont have two very different, but equally useful qualities: Lobont coaches his defenders all the time. He is constantly talking like a madman (his voice is completely gone after every game, even if he's on the bench: he also coaches his team-mates from the bench). He can be a bit frantic and also makes mistakes on high balls, but there will never be a lack of coaching.

Vonk doesn't yell as much, but he is experienced and very calm. He is very restful, the defenders seem to trust him completely and that is something this team really needs.

Stekelenburg, frankly, is the worst of both worlds: he doesn't talk but he is not exactly restful, either. He's too busy dealing with his own panic so he can't coach his defenders. Of course: he is young and it wouldn't be too much of a problem if he actually improved. But (as Jakob points out - and I have to agree): he's getting worse.

As a supporter on the stands I simply don't trust him. I am never comfortable when he's between the posts. In big games my entire section gets a nervous breakdown every time the opponents take a corner kick. I do trust Hans Vonk and Boggy, to a lesser extent.

We just don't have a top drawer goalkeeper, simple as that. And I'm not too sure Kenneth Vermeer of Young Ajax will be one, either.

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di mei 10, 2005 2:55 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: We just don't have a top drawer goalkeeper, simple as that. And I'm not too sure Kenneth Vermeer of Young Ajax will be one, either.
K.
Yes we have one : Joey Didulica !!! Oh wait.....
meh :|

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mei 11, 2005 2:10 am

Carcajou schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef: We just don't have a top drawer goalkeeper, simple as that. And I'm not too sure Kenneth Vermeer of Young Ajax will be one, either.
K.
Yes we have one : Joey Didulica !!! Oh wait.....
hahaha...yep. Didu was the best keeper Ajax have had since van der saar left. (Ok maybe I am biased being a fellow aussie and all, but...)

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » zo mei 15, 2005 8:37 am

Stekelenburg had a major role in Ajax 2 campaign in the Dutch Cup, but I think the lack of first team football is the problem. Lobont is slipping, against Bayern and PSV he just sucked. Vonk isnt exactly a first team keeper for me. He's one to back up the young ones and to coach them.

Stekelenburg should be loaned out, or play first pick next season. I hope he doesnt leave Ajax, as I personally like him

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma aug 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Terrible moment: the 54th minute of Ajax vs Boca Juniors. Nasty collision between Maarten Stekelenburg and Hatem Trabelsi. Trabelsi seemed unconscious and had to be stetchered off, but it appears that Stekelenburg's injury is much worse. Trabelsi amay be back with the group in one week (max, 10 days), but Stekelenburg will be out for four to six weeks according to yesterday's Ajax.nl match report. In today's training report on Ajax.nl it even says that he will "probably be out for months"...

It must be said: he was very good in both Amsterdam Tourney games. But he's gone for a while. What do we do now? Boggy was on the bench yesterday, but that was kind of coincidental... Will Blind go for Vonk again? I think he will.

K.
Still alive...

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » ma aug 01, 2005 2:27 pm

I agree, Blind is a Vonk fan, and will gladly give him anal for the PSV match.
Get a Cock

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma aug 01, 2005 2:29 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:What do we do now? Boggy was on the bench yesterday, but that was kind of coincidental... Will Blind go for Vonk again? I think he will.

K.
Vonk over Lobotomy every time.
Consistency over inconsistency (with occasional moments of brilliance) every time.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma aug 01, 2005 2:45 pm

ZoefdeHaas schreef: will gladly give him anal for the PSV match
Er...?

Zoef, you continue to amaze me... :X

K.
Still alive...

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » ma aug 01, 2005 2:56 pm

:D

Just a charm lad, just a charm
Get a Cock

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do okt 13, 2005 6:04 pm

Maarten Stekelenburg is on his way back! He got seriously injured against Boca Juniors at the Amsterdam Tournament, but he returned to action this Tuesday in Young Ajax's friendly at Third Class amateur side Docos from the town of Leiden. I don't know what the result was, but Stekelenburg is quoted on Ajax.nl saying that his return to competitive action went well.

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do jan 26, 2006 6:58 pm

He has evidently signed a contract extension to 2010 today.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Never been much of a fan, but I must admit that Stekelenburg was possibly my 'MotM' yesterday evening. He was remarkably resolute on high crosses. Near-flawless. Never dropped a ball, always well-positioned. Keep this up, Maarten. This was a very good one.

K.
Still alive...

Van der Vaart

Bericht door Van der Vaart » za feb 04, 2006 1:37 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Never been much of a fan, but I must admit that Stekelenburg was possibly my 'MotM' yesterday evening. He was remarkably resolute on high crosses. Near-flawless. Never dropped a ball, always well-positioned. Keep this up, Maarten. This was a very good one.

K.
he was really good...but I think the man of the match was Emanuelson :yes: :yes:

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » za feb 04, 2006 10:41 pm

I`ll give the Man of the match to Stekk too, only because no field player deserved it. Urby though very good on the atack was very poor in defense Yildirim run wild on him.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo feb 12, 2006 5:10 pm

I hate to tell you, but Den Haag's equalizer was a very bad f*ck-up by Stekelenburg. Okay: the whole defense looked like shit. It was basically a very simple counter-attack through the middle, and Vermaelen in particular completely failed to do something.

But anyway: Mols got the ball, coming from the left flank (the right zone for Stekelenburg) and fired immediately. The shot was well-aimed, but it was not too much of a deadly strike, you would say. However, Stekelenburg was too far out of his goal (what in the name of the Lord Almighty was he doing there?) and he got beaten in the near-post corner, which was the corner he was supposed to have covered. A low shot from such a distance... come on!

Not good. Not good.

K.
Laatst gewijzigd door Kowalczyk op ma feb 13, 2006 12:06 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Still alive...

dws

Bericht door dws » zo feb 12, 2006 9:25 pm

Stekelenburg has got to cut out the comedy routine and leave the clowning to Grandell and that jammy bastard Gomez. :yes:

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » ma feb 13, 2006 3:25 am

It looked to me like he dived over the ball, which is a bit crap when it's travelling at that pace...

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » ma feb 13, 2006 3:57 am

Kowalczyk schreef:I hate to tell you, but Den Haag's equalizer was a very bad f*ck-up by Stekelenburg. Okay: the whole defense looked like shit. It was basically a very simple counter-attack through the middle, and Vermaelen in particular completely failed to do something.

But anyway: Mols got the ball, coming from the left flank (the right zone for Stekelenburg) and fired immediately. The shot was well-aimed, but it was not too much of a deadly strike, you would say. However, Stekelenburg was too far out of his goal (what in the name of the Lord Almighty was he doing there?) and he got beaten in the near-post corner, which was the corner he was supposed to have covered. A low shot from such a distance... come on!

Not good. Not good.

K.
I agree with you on that. If it would've gone in at the far-post corner it would've been Vermaelen's fault as that was the angle he was covering. Seeming as it didn't I don't see how you can say that Vermaelen did anything wrong in that situation.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma feb 13, 2006 11:37 am

Thomas schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:I hate to tell you, but Den Haag's equalizer was a very bad f*ck-up by Stekelenburg. Okay: the whole defense looked like shit. It was basically a very simple counter-attack through the middle, and Vermaelen in particular completely failed to do something.

Not good. Not good.

K.
I agree with you on that. If it would've gone in at the far-post corner it would've been Vermaelen's fault as that was the angle he was covering. Seeming as it didn't I don't see how you can say that Vermaelen did anything wrong in that situation.
When I first saw the goal, my inital thought was Vermaelen stuffed up. I think both were at fault to some degree.

For me Vermaelen has been at fault for a few goals recently. He hasn't done much to impress me, but then again apart from Urby and Markus, no one else really has either.

I hold onto the hope that it will get better at some stage. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » ma feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Markus has merely impressed with goals in recent weeks. He doesn't take too much part in play as of yet. I still have some serious doubts whether he would succeed as a central forward for Ajax.

Urby has impressed with his runs forward but he's had bad games defensively against Castelen en Elia. Fast rightwingers have a fieldday against him. Not because he's slow or he can't defend but because he's out of position 80% of the duration of the game.

Huntelaar has impressed me when his teammates have used him right. Although I feel he should move more, he was denied a goal 3 times yesterday and looked sharp.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di okt 10, 2006 6:48 am

According Italian sports newspaper Tuttosport AC Milan are on a quest to find the successor for goalkeeper Dida, who's out of contract at season's end. They are, reportedly, seriously interested in landing Maarten Stekelenburg.

I don't believe it, but if it's true I would say: do it if they pay good money (which they will). Stekelenburg is replaceable.

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di okt 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:According Italian sports newspaper Tuttosport AC Milan are on a quest to find the successor for goalkeeper Dida, who's out of contract at season's end. They are, reportedly, seriously interested in landing Maarten Stekelenburg.

I don't believe it, but if it's true I would say: do it if they pay good money (which they will). Stekelenburg is replaceable.

K.
That would be great: Ajax could pump him up and get millions for him, and AC Milan would end up with a goalie that isn't good enough for them, helping them to more subpar seasons.

A win-win situation!
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » di okt 10, 2006 4:46 pm

agreed, Stekk aint a bad chap but he aint super man, Vermeer has been playing well for the Young Oranje, he could be given a shot :yes:

PD: 4-5 million would good money (maybe i'm asking too much :yes:)
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Gesloten