The One & Only Official Music Geeks' Thread

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

The One & Only Official Music Geeks' Thread

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 03, 2005 9:02 pm

jamcocteau schreef:Ko - might be better to start a music thread now ;)
Hell, yeah... I guess you're right. It's inevitable... :D

Okay, folks... Music talk in this thread from now on!

Bad jokes over here:
http://www.ajaxtalk.nl/portal/viewtopic.php?t=4344
(warning: good jokes will be deleted immediately and the individual who posted it will be banned)

All yer other nonsense over here:
http://www.ajaxtalk.nl/portal/viewtopic.php?t=4646
(individuals responsible for music-related postings in this thread will be tied to a tree in a Feyenoord shirt -- without the shorts)

And oh yeah: let's only post in the About This Forum thread if we have something to say that is, er, well... about this forum.

Makes sense? :D

K.
Still alive...

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » di mei 03, 2005 10:06 pm

WOW! Finally a place for the geeks!

I have to admit, I thought Jim was going to throw us out eventually for going on and on about this. I guess a thread was the only solution....

anyways. I would like Bertie to elaborate on why it is silly to cover a Nirvana song?

And officially apologiza for not remembering to mention in my first post the fantastic Jeff Buckley version of Halleluljah - a song that really brings back good memories.

Good night to all!
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di mei 03, 2005 10:42 pm

Per schreef:WOW! Finally a place for the geeks!

I have to admit, I thought Jim was going to throw us out eventually for going on and on about this. I guess a thread was the only solution....

anyways. I would like Bertie to elaborate on why it is silly to cover a Nirvana song?

And officially apologiza for not remembering to mention in my first post the fantastic Jeff Buckley version of Halleluljah - a song that really brings back good memories.

Good night to all!
Come on, a cover of Nirvana is like say.... rewriting the Bible. Those guys lived the genesis of the Grunge movement and they had this incredible energy, the connections with all the bands that MADE Grunge in the late 80's and later (Melvins, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney) their leader was a charismatic prodigy, WHO could cover one of their song without being bad??

All the covers from Nina Hagen, No Doubt, Tori Amos and Hole were all shit by the way...
meh :|

SE6Ajacied

Re: The One & Only Official Music Geeks' Thread

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di mei 03, 2005 11:56 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
All yer other nonsense over here:
http://www.ajaxtalk.nl/portal/viewtopic.php?t=4646
(individuals responsible for music-related postings in this thread will be tied to a tree in a Feyenoord shirt -- without the shorts)
eek! I've just posted a music-related posting in the other thread. Mitigation, it's a first offence and I didn't know the new rules :hypocrite: .......if not, can you make it one of those '80's Feyenoord Shirts with Opel on the front and 14 on the back so at least I can say it's genuine and flog it to some saddo F fan on e-bay ;)
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 04, 2005 5:56 am

Per schreef:I would like Bertie to elaborate on why it is silly to cover a Nirvana song?
I agree with Beb on this one, you know... For a slightly different reason. The 'sacrilege' argument does not really mean anything to me. The fact that Kurt Cobain shot himself does not make him a saint to me; it makes him a very sorry sod. To me musicians are never heroes, their music is never 'sacred', so whatever anyone does with it can never be 'sacrilege'.

But... the music of dead rockstars is sacred to many others, and that is why I feel you should keep your hands off. The original of a Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division or Nirvana song will always be a hundred times bigger than your cover version ever will be. Your version will be interpreted as a tribute - not to the song (which should be the only thing that counts), but to the dead guy.

When you cover a song like Smells Like Teen Spirit it will always look like your trying to 'score', by playing with cheap sentiment.

Hope I'm making myself clear... Bottom line: covering such a song is not 'sacrilege', but it's not 'classy' either.

K.
Still alive...

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo mei 04, 2005 10:15 am

Now this is what I call a thread.

In my opinion:

Best cover of a really bad song -- Faith No More, "Easy" (Lionel Ritchie)... "OOOHHH!!!"
Worst cover of a good song -- tie between The Dissociatives, "Going out West" (Tom Waits) *I'm trying not to vomit* and Avril Lavigne, "Chop Suey" (System of a Down).

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » wo mei 04, 2005 10:28 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
Per schreef:I would like Bertie to elaborate on why it is silly to cover a Nirvana song?
I agree with Beb on this one, you know... For a slightly different reason. The 'sacrilege' argument does not really mean anything to me. The fact that Kurt Cobain shot himself does not make him a saint to me; it makes him a very sorry sod. To me musicians are never heroes, their music is never 'sacred', so whatever anyone does with it can never be 'sacrilege'.

But... the music of dead rockstars is sacred to many others, and that is why I feel you should keep your hands off. The original of a Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division or Nirvana song will always be a hundred times bigger than your cover version ever will be. Your version will be interpreted as a tribute - not to the song (which should be the only thing that counts), but to the dead guy.

When you cover a song like Smells Like Teen Spirit it will always look like your trying to 'score', by playing with cheap sentiment.

Hope I'm making myself clear... Bottom line: covering such a song is not 'sacrilege', but it's not 'classy' either.

K.
I don't agree. If you obviously try to score points - then fine - it's a shitty way to try and get attention.

But if it is a cover that stands for itself - musicwise - I don't care which rock-star made it before killing himself in a way to make hippies think he's cool.

I think you should be able to seperate the context from the song and review it for what it is. It doesn't have to be a tribute, even if it's going to be interpreted like that by the majority of people.

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » wo mei 04, 2005 11:04 am

Ko

got tix for the Hot Hot Heat gig on Sunday so can meet for a pint if you want - let me know.

BTW see Pixies are playing at Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh on Aug 28 as part of the Edinburgh Festival. Will the season have started by then
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mei 04, 2005 12:47 pm

One cover to rule them all:
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

My god that voice..."but you don't really care for music do you?"

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 04, 2005 1:23 pm

jamcocteau schreef:got tix for the Hot Hot Heat gig on Sunday so can meet for a pint if you want - let me know.
Yep - good idea!

Dan Murphy's? 20:00? (gig starts at 21:00)
BTW see Pixies are playing at Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh on Aug 28 as part of the Edinburgh Festival. Will the season have started by then
I would think so. Amsterdam Tourney is July 29 and 31. Normally the Johan Cruyff Shield is one week later and the start of the league the week thereafter...

K.
Still alive...

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » wo mei 04, 2005 2:19 pm

Ko

Yup meet you in Dans about 8.00pm - there are 3 of us going - 2 scottish lads and a blonde scottish lass. I might be a few minutes late as I will be at the James Yorkston gig in the Paradiso which starts just after 6.00pm

See you Sunday

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo mei 04, 2005 3:15 pm

I love this thread.

Has anyone heard of Bloc Party? I keep hearing the name, and trustworthy people tell me they're good. I'm considering splurging some of my very scanty hard earned sight unseen, or rather sound unheard. Any thoughts?

In other news, getting tickets tomorrow for Queens of the Stoneage in July. Seen them twice before, can't wait to see them again, unfortunately it's a shitty venue though.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 04, 2005 3:22 pm

Chugger schreef: Has anyone heard of Bloc Party? I keep hearing the name, and trustworthy people tell me they're good.
They're awesome. Not all of the tracks on their album are top drawer, but they're definitely one of the better bands in the 'new-new-wave' category. A slightly darker and edgier Franz Ferdinand, I would say.

It's strange... There's a lot of that Gang Of Four meets XTC meets The Cure type stuff at the moment (Hot Hot Heat, Franz Ferdinand, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, The Fever, Bloc Party, The Departure, Interpol, Radio 4, The Futureheads, The Bravery, Moving Units, The Features, etc. etc) and I'm kind of waiting for the first band that is really fake - but so far I like almost everything. There's always at least a handful of great songs on their albums.

My favourite Bloc Party single is Helicopter (got it on transparant green 7" vinyl! :yes: )

K.
Still alive...

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » wo mei 04, 2005 3:27 pm

Hmm. I really liked Franz Ferdinand at first (saw them live actually, they were quite good). Their CD is really fun but I got a bit bored of the whole 80s thing and never really got into those other bands. Dark and edgy sounds good though, maybe I'll talk a friend into buying it then borrow it off 'em. Or heaven forbid pirate it.

Thanks for the thoughts!

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » wo mei 04, 2005 3:48 pm

Chugger schreef:
In my opinion:

Best cover of a really bad song -- Faith No More, "Easy" (Lionel Ritchie)... "OOOHHH!!!"
Worst cover of a good song -- tie between The Dissociatives, "Going out West" (Tom Waits) *I'm trying not to vomit* and Avril Lavigne, "Chop Suey" (System of a Down).

And great cover of great song- "Another brick in the wall" ( Pink Floyd/ KoRn)

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » wo mei 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Actually saw Bloc Party twice within the space of a week late last year and must admit I was pretty disappointed with them - once at the London Calling event and then supporting Interpol. I think they sound better in the studio than they do live - the rhythm section has a problem live - they have no effin rhythm. :D
Think they have been hyped up by NME so much to create a similar scene in London to the one Franz started in Glasgow.

But agree Ko there is a whole lot of bands of that ilk appearing. Interesting to hear you mention Dogs Die in Hot Cars as outside of Scotland they are not that well known but loved the album - very XTC.

BTW speaking of Interpol, did you read in popbitch that groupies in Chicago are allegedly blaming Carlos for an outbreak of herpes amongst them - which could cause problems for 2 barmaids in Amsterdam I know - eh allegedly !!!!

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo mei 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Chugger schreef:Hmm. I really liked Franz Ferdinand at first (saw them live actually, they were quite good). Their CD is really fun but I got a bit bored of the whole 80s thing and never really got into those other bands. Dark and edgy sounds good though, maybe I'll talk a friend into buying it then borrow it off 'em. Or heaven forbid pirate it.

Thanks for the thoughts!
I bought the Franz Ferndinand CD when it came out and was bored with it in about 2 days. Apart from about 2 songs, IMO (not that that counts for much!) they are one of the most overrated bands for some time.

I guess this is typical of the music scene, someone has a hit single and they are the next big thing. The media overhypes them. They release a second CD which sounds exactly the same as the first (which really wasn't all that great to begin with). People are bored with them. It doesn't sell as well, and they fade away, only to do a re-union tour 25 years later.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Ko's tour schedule...

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mei 05, 2005 10:07 am

Here's my gig guide until June 8th ... Some of it is for work; some it ain't.

Sat 07 May: Dynamo Open Air Festival @ Festival Ground, Hellendoorn
(heavy metal dinosaurs such as Anthrax, Testament, Obituary, Laaz Rockit, etc. It really will be 1987 over there...)

Sun 08 May: Hot Hot Heat, The Departure & The Fever @ Melkweg, Amsterdam

Tue 10 May: Boudewijn de Groot @ Zaantheater, Zaandam
(He's the Dutch Bob Dylan, kind of... Sixties hero... I'm taking my old folks...)

Thu 12 May: Jack Johnson @ Paradiso, Amsterdam

Sat 14 May: I Am Kloot @ Melkweg, Amsterdam

Tue 17 May: Madrugada @ Melkweg, Amsterdam

Sat 28 May: Eels @ Oosterpoort, Groningen

Sun 05 Jun: Crosby, Stills & Nash @ Pepsi Stage, Amsterdam

Mon 06 Jun: Dinosaur Jr. @ Vera, Groningen
(their first gig of the reunion tour in Europe!)

Wed 08 Jun: Beck @ Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
(this is cruel: on the same night Mercury Rev are @ Paradiso and Mylo, new electronic sensation from Scotland, @ Melkweg)

K.
Still alive...

Per
Contacteer:

Re: Ko's tour schedule...

Bericht door Per » do mei 05, 2005 10:38 am

Kowalczyk schreef: Sun 05 Jun: Crosby, Stills & Nash @ Pepsi Stage, Amsterdam

Mon 06 Jun: Dinosaur Jr. @ Vera, Groningen
(their first gig of the reunion tour in Europe!)

K.
That's two great days in a row you've got there. J.M might be one of the most talented musicians the last couple of decades.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do mei 05, 2005 11:02 am

Kowalczyk schreef: Wed 08 Jun: Beck @ Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
(this is cruel: on the same night Mercury Rev are @ Paradiso and Mylo, new electronic sensation from Scotland, @ Melkweg)
K.
Ko. You b*stard! I am nearly tempted to come over to see Beck (can you spare a room at your place?) ;) . This guy is so good live. It will be interesting to see how he performs his new stuff. Guero just gets better and better with each listen.

I saw Mercury Rev the last time they were in Australia (just after the release of 'All Is Dream'). The sound that these guys can bring to the stage is amazing.

Tough choice mate. I am sure you will make the right one :xyxthumbs:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mei 05, 2005 11:20 am

DanK schreef:Tough choice mate. I am sure you will make the right one :xyxthumbs:
There won't be much of a choice, in this case...

We (the music guys at de Volkskrant) have this 'houserule' that if one of us interviewed an artist and published a story about them, that same person should not do the live review when they're in Holland.

I interviewed Jonathan Donahue of Mercury Rev in December and published a story of a full page about them when the new album was released (in January). Therefore, my colleague will probably review them live - and it will be Beck for me. Which I would have opted for anyway, in this case. Mercury Rev already played material from their new album when they supported Nick Cave in December (that was actually the occasion when I met Jonathan Donahue). I've seen them many times. I think I saw Beck only once (Odelay tour at the Pinkpop Festival in, phew, 1996? 1997? - long time ago anyway).

The victim will be Mylo, I'm afraid... They are awesome and I love their record, but three live reviews on the arts page on one day... Probably not going to happen. I think we will have to skip their show and go to Mercury Rev and Beck.

K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do mei 05, 2005 2:03 pm

Some of my favorite covers, mistakenly posted in another thread:
aveslacker schreef:All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix
Mystifies Me - Son Volt
Wonderwall - Mike Flowers Pop
Tangerine - Big Head Todd and the Monsters
Boom Boom - Big Head Todd and the Monsters
Rusty Cage - Johnny Cash
Boyz n' the Hood by Dynamite Hack was awesome.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do mei 05, 2005 2:08 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Here's my gig guide until June 8th ... Some of it is for work; some it ain't.

Tue 10 May: Boudewijn de Groot @ Zaantheater, Zaandam
(He's the Dutch Bob Dylan, kind of... Sixties hero... I'm taking my old folks...)
My parents have that record. Ugh.
Kowalczyk schreef: Thu 12 May: Jack Johnson @ Paradiso, Amsterdam
He's pretty good, although I can imagine all the surfer dudes that would be at this concert. Like him though. Speaking of surfer dudes, did you know he nearly died when he wiped out in a competition at Pipeline (big gnarly wave in Hawaii) and got dragged across a coral reef?

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » do mei 05, 2005 3:59 pm

Chugger schreef: Worst cover of a good song -- tie between The Dissociatives, "Going out West" (Tom Waits) *I'm trying not to vomit* and Avril Lavigne, "Chop Suey" (System of a Down).
Have you heard Rod Stewart's cover of "Downtown Train" (Tom Waits)? It was a mega-hit on "lite rock" stations in the US, you couldn't go to the grocery store without hearing it. Utterly disgusting.

But you'll never top Pat Metheny's reaction to Kenny G's cover of "What a Wonderful World". Simply hilarious. :D

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » do mei 05, 2005 4:53 pm

My top covers:

U2 - Helter Skelter (Charles Manson stole this song from the Beatles, we're stealing it back)
RHCP - Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder)
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)
Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) (Sorry Ko ;) )

And ofcourse all 'covers' from Weird Al Yankovic. Simply hilarious!
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

Plaats reactie