The Ajax club crest

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

The Ajax club crest

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mar 07, 2005 9:55 am

This is the place to discuss the Ajax club logo in general and the newly launched fan campaign for the return of the 'classic' Ajax logo in particular. See the news report on Ajax USA!

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 07, 2005 10:11 am

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » ma mar 07, 2005 3:02 pm

I think there are more important issues facing ajax at this time.

Here are a couple...

1. The fact that we have fallen from a European top club to a Dutch sub-top club in less than 10 years.

2. We have lost Van Gaal, Van Basten, van 't Schip and Koeman from the coaching staff in less than nine months.

3. Talented young players seem to be going backwards in their development rather than forwards.

There are more, I'm sure we can all think of some, so it seems to me that creating a fuss about the logo now, smacks of fiddling while Rome burns.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 07, 2005 3:10 pm

TPC is right. However, the Board asked the fans to give up the « jews » name. And the deal seems to be : we will if in return Ajax take the old logo back.
And it may not be quite as futile as it may seem, because the whole thing remains about the Ajax identity. But in appearance only.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mar 07, 2005 7:13 pm

The official Ajax Fanclub just published a poll on Ajax.nl about the club crest. The question: do you agree that the Ajax logo should be replaced by the old logo?

You can vote eens ('I agree'), oneens ('I do not agree') or Geen mening ('no opinion').

Go ahead and vote!

http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=95430/contentid=39398

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » ma mar 21, 2005 1:59 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:The official Ajax Fanclub just published a poll on Ajax.nl about the club crest. The question: do you agree that the Ajax logo should be replaced by the old logo?

You can vote eens ('I agree'), oneens ('I do not agree') or Geen mening ('no opinion').

Go ahead and vote!

http://www.Ajax.nl/show/id=95430/contentid=39398

K.
Yes it should be changed...but honestly guys this is a red herring (as TPC points out). The fact that the club has embraced this debate on the official website shows they see it as a way of deflecting discussion away from the real issue....the football this once proud club plays has fallen to it's lowest level in vey many years. The logo isn't going to change that....let's have a vote on the official website about the the real issue.....

"Should the board resign after years of mismanagent?"

:rocketwhore:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma mar 21, 2005 2:18 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:
"Should the board resign after years of mismanagent?"
Let's start a proper poll with this question : btw my vote is "yes"

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 10, 2005 2:56 pm

Today is D-Day: the Board of Members will vote about the possible return of the old club crest tonight. Unanimous votes are required; rumour has it that only two members are still against the return of the old logo.

The fan campaign has been quite overwhelming: posters were everywhere, they put up an enormous banner with the old logo on it on the front of the Stadsschouwburg ('City Theatre') at Leidseplein and the highlight of the campaign was last Saturday prior to Ajax vs RKC: an 'Ajax March' from the place where the centre spot of De Meer once was to the ArenA. They symbolically collected the old Ajax logo in De Meer and delivered it to Arie van Eijden and John Jaakke at the ArenA.

Anyway: the members are to decide. Tonight.

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di mei 10, 2005 3:03 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Today is D-Day: the Board of Members will vote about the possible return of the old club crest tonight. Unanimous votes are required; rumour has it that only two members are still against the return of the old logo.

The fan campaign has been quite overwhelming: posters were everywhere, they put up an enormous banner with the old logo on it on the front of the Stadsschouwburg ('City Theatre') at Leidseplein and the highlight of the campaign was last Saturday prior to Ajax vs RKC: an 'Ajax March' from the place where the centre spot of De Meer once was to the ArenA. They symbolically collected the old Ajax logo in De Meer and delivered it to Arie van Eijden and John Jaakke at the ArenA.

Anyway: the members are to decide. Tonight.

K.
To be honest, I'd be happy if the club decided to bring the old crest back...
meh :|

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Yeah, me too. I support this campaign wholeheartedly.

Some people suggest that the fans only complain about it because they're frustrated about this season's bad results. That's a simplification of the whole issue. Their point is that the new logo is a bit 'cold', whereas the old logo was warm and traditional. In a way the old logo symbolizes Ajax as a club, whereas the new logo symbolizes Ajax as a company. Especially in times of bad results the supporters want to embrace the tradition of the club and 'feel the warmth' of Ajax. That makes up for bad results.

"Did Ajax change their crest? Really? I didn't even know that. You should never change such a thing. Just like the club colours, you don't change those either. Changing the crest... you just can't. It's a done deal now, but it's never too late to change it back."
(Johan Cruyff, 1991)

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di mei 10, 2005 3:25 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Yeah, me too. I support this campaign wholeheartedly.

Some people suggest that the fans only complain about it because they're frustrated about this season's bad results. That's a simplification of the whole issue. Their point is that the new logo is a bit 'cold', whereas the old logo was warm and traditional. In a way the old logo symbolizes Ajax as a club, whereas the new logo symbolizes Ajax as a company. Especially in times of bad results the supporters want to embrace the tradition of the club and 'feel the warmth' of Ajax. That makes up for bad results.

"Did Ajax change their crest? Really? I didn't even know that. You should never change such a thing. Just like the club colours, you don't change those either. Changing the crest... you just can't. It's a done deal now, but it's never too late to change it back."
(Johan Cruyff, 1991)

K.
And what about the much older club crest (the player in red and white with old leather ball) ???
meh :|

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 10, 2005 3:40 pm

That one's generally regarded as 'prehistoric'. It was the Ajax logo from 1900 'til 1925. Even the shirt was different until 1911.

All the things that we consider as 'typical Ajax' today (the ambition, the style of playing, the focus on youth development, the club culture) started taking shape in the 1920s, the era of coach Jack Reynolds and Wim Anderiesen. Before that the identity of the club was developing.

The introduction of a new club crest in 1925 more or less marks the birth of Ajax-as-we-know-it. And, obviously, everything that made Ajax a world-famous football club (the 1970s glory, Cruyff, Van Basten and all that) happened with the logo of 1925 as the official club crest.

K.
Still alive...

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » di mei 10, 2005 3:49 pm

And, obviously, everything that made Ajax a world-famous football club (the 1970s glory, Cruyff, Van Basten and all that) happened with the logo of 1925 as the official club crest.
'95 wasn't bad for Ajax' fame either, Ko ;)

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 10, 2005 4:08 pm

That's why I wrote: everything that made Ajax a famous football club.

'1995' underscored a reputation that was already there.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Hmm... no vote just yet...

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mei 10, 2005 11:31 pm

Hmmm. A bit of a misunderstanding, it seems... It appears that the Board of Members discussed the issue today, but did not vote yet... That will probably happen at some point later this month.

K.
Still alive...

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » wo mei 11, 2005 3:39 pm

What the board want i have reason to believe, is a compromise Logo, something that is modern with a 21st century typeface, yet retains some of the warmth and cuddlyness of ye olde worlde logo. The current logo looks like a simple tracing of the old one, and it is indeed somewhat cold an unemotional.

Changing logos is a huge deal for any organization. It's going to be massively expensive for Ajax to first change, and then integrate a new logo into all their corporate communications. All written communications (brochures, internal forms, 1st page, follow on page, Fax templates, Power Point Templates, business cards etc, etc) will all have to be changed. Then there's all the electronic/interactive stuff such as the website, banners and email templates etc, etc.

And of course all their merchandised goods. All those third party suppliers who make Ajax clothing, jewellry, glasses, sheets and pillow cases, cups, pens, pencil cases and posters are going to be stuck with warehouses full of merchandise that are suddenly worth jack-shit. They are going to be seriously pissed-off.

Adidas are not going to be best pleased either, but they at least can afford the financial hit..

It's also politicaly frought with problems. There are many different stakeholders in AFC Ajax Amsterdam today, and one thing's for sure - no one logo will please everyone. So whatever Ajax choose, they'll be damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » wo mei 11, 2005 3:57 pm

I wonder what will happen with the logo's of Ajax Orlando and Cape Town.

sonicdream

Bericht door sonicdream » wo mei 11, 2005 5:24 pm

The Purple Cow schreef:What the board want i have reason to believe, is a compromise Logo, something that is modern with a 21st century typeface, yet retains some of the warmth and cuddlyness of ye olde worlde logo. The current logo looks like a simple tracing of the old one, and it is indeed somewhat cold an unemotional.

Changing logos is a huge deal for any organization. It's going to be massively expensive for Ajax to first change, and then integrate a new logo into all their corporate communications. All written communications (brochures, internal forms, 1st page, follow on page, Fax templates, Power Point Templates, business cards etc, etc) will all have to be changed. Then there's all the electronic/interactive stuff such as the website, banners and email templates etc, etc.

And of course all their merchandised goods. All those third party suppliers who make Ajax clothing, jewellry, glasses, sheets and pillow cases, cups, pens, pencil cases and posters are going to be stuck with warehouses full of merchandise that are suddenly worth jack-shit. They are going to be seriously pissed-off.

Adidas are not going to be best pleased either, but they at least can afford the financial hit..

It's also politicaly frought with problems. There are many different stakeholders in AFC Ajax Amsterdam today, and one thing's for sure - no one logo will please everyone. So whatever Ajax choose, they'll be damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Good points - I was wondering if the board has made concessions to consider the ramifications of the decision.

As far as old stocks of Ajax merchandise is concerned, the logo change may be a double edged sword. Some men in suits might see potential new $$$ contracts (sorry I don't have the Euro logo on my keyboard!) while at the same time it'll be a concern for some companies with stockpiles of old inventory - if the merch. is not yet already paid for by Ajax Pte Ltd.

In America they do this all the freaking time....changing colours, logos and even move teams to another city. But then again, big league sports in America is all about making money and nothing else.

That being said, I support the logo change for what it stands for - to identify the team of today with its charismatic and rich history and to move away from the "corporate-influenced" logo design that it is today.

And, most importantly, this logo change was first pushed forward by fans, and not by the board of directors, as I understand. So, again, for this reason, I'm all for it.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mei 11, 2005 9:59 pm

sonicdream schreef:
That being said, I support the logo change for what it stands for - to identify the team of today with its charismatic and rich history and to move away from the "corporate-influenced" logo design that it is today.
Well said - and as for the stuff with the "old" logo, well they can always flog it off as some sort of "heritage" line - oh I forgot, they do that now with the old logo that we want back - I don't think anyone will seriously miss the Ajax Corporation (as opposed to Ajax Football Club) logo.... :anew: :kloguck:

:ajax: :ajax: :ajax: :ajax: :ajax:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do mei 12, 2005 8:01 am

The main difference for me between the two logos is that the old one does not mention the name « Amsterdam ».
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do mei 12, 2005 8:28 am

philippe schreef:The main difference for me between the two logos is that the old one does not mention the name « Amsterdam ».
Agreed, in the sense that if you were describing both to someone who had not seen either, then that is what you would say but surely the old one just has that little bit more. I don't know how to express it but the old "drawing" is just so much more classy than the new one that looks like it was drawn on one of those old toy "drawing" machines - what were they called now...?

This has the prospect of turning into a long ramble so I'll keep it short. I just like the old one better.

I wonder if Yannis has an opinion??

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do mei 12, 2005 8:33 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:.

I wonder if Yannis has an opinion??
Yannis prefers the old one, no doubt. :cheer:

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do mei 12, 2005 8:57 am

Yannis is too young for nostalgia, but will surely show solidarity with the fans. :eusa_dance:
Appie, stay strong !

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do mei 12, 2005 8:15 pm

philippe schreef:Yannis is too young for nostalgia, but will surely show solidarity with the fans. :eusa_dance:
This Yannis thing......it's seems to be turning into a bit of a cult thing......
:eusa_pray: :worshippy: :eusa_pray: :worshippy: :eusa_pray: :worshippy:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do mei 12, 2005 8:38 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:
This Yannis thing......it's seems to be turning into a bit of a cult thing......
:eusa_pray: :worshippy: :eusa_pray: :worshippy: :eusa_pray: :worshippy:
"Quick!!! a new member, don't let him get away!!"

I do feel that Yannis should have an opinion re the Ajax badge - like the original Ajax, he is Greek after all........ ;)

Plaats reactie