Amsterdam ArenA

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Amsterdam ArenA

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 02, 2005 10:09 am

This is the thread for all your discussions about Ajax's home ground, the Amsterdam ArenA.

In our previous Amsterdam ArenA threads (at the old Lusenet/Greenspun forum and at SoccerPages) some pretty interesting information on the developments of artificial turf was brought together... We lost all of that, but let's just start all over.

For starters: Voetbal International reports that Ajax are still reluctant when it comes to artificial turf. They were enthusiastic a few years ago, then suddenly much less so, possibly based on their experiences with the artificial pitch at De Toekomst. And maybe the friendly at First Division outfit Heracles Almelo, in January 2004, was a factor. They have an artificial pitch - and almost every Ajax player absolutely hated it.

Match report:
http://www.ajax-usa.com/matches/m03-04/ ... s-2-3.html

The Amsterdam ArenA wanted an artificial pitch in 2007, but all they want to say right now is that they want to wait until the artificial grass is of the same quality as real grass.

Seems like we're back to zero.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr mar 04, 2005 12:34 pm

will the name of the stadium be changed for Rinus Michels stadium, as it should be ?

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » vr mar 04, 2005 1:31 pm

Van Eijden has said that he would like to change the name to Rinus Michels Stadion, but it's highly unlikely that this will happen since Ajax don't own the stadium.

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » vr mar 04, 2005 2:14 pm

I agree it's not going to be changed, however should it be named after any person, that person should be Jack Reynolds.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr mar 04, 2005 2:41 pm

It is fair to say that Floris Stempel (the guy who founded the club), Jack Reynolds, Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff are the three most important men in the history of Ajax.

However, I find it very hard to say who was the most important one. It's hard, if not impossible, to compare these gents to one another.

Floris Stempel
He founded Ajax, so he's the only man about whom you can say that Ajax would not have existed without him.

Jack Reynolds
Was Ajax's head-coach for almost 25% of the club's existence and lay the foundation for many things that are still there today (he was the first one to seriously 'professionalize' and structure the club and its youth teams, and was the first coach in a tradition of offensive thinkers with a schoolteacher-like approach). Without Reynolds there would have been no Rinus Michels - and without Michels there would have been no Cruyff or Van Gaal.

Rinus Michels
He can be compared to Jack Reynolds in many ways, except that he lived in a different time. Jack Reynolds turned an amateur club like many others into a more or less professional, well-structured and ambitious football club. By 1965, however, Reynolds' Ajax was once again very amateurish compared to clubs from other countries. Rinus Michels pretty turned Ajax into the club we know today. Reynolds turned an amateurish club into a professional club; Michels turned that professional club into a modern top club (ish).

Johan Cruyff
Stempel, Reynolds and Michels were more important as men (as thinkers), but Johan Cruyff is our most important icon. He embodies everything that Ajax stands for (or at least wants to stand for): offensive thinking, swagger, self-esteem, skill, speed, artistic beauty, a bit of arrogance, brilliance. Johan Cruyff is Ajax. He sums it all up.

Shall we have a vote?

Too bad we play in a 'round' stadium. Had we still played in stadium with four distinguishable stands (like in De Meer) we could have named a stand after each of the above four fine gentlemen.

K.
Still alive...

sonicdream

Bericht door sonicdream » vr mar 04, 2005 8:27 pm

It's too difficult of a vote...nearly impossible.

BUT if I had to just pick one, it would be:

Johan Cruijff

Only for the reason that although the aforementioned names "gave birth" to a Cruyff, the game is still ultimately played *on* the pitch.

Legends are made from very unique players with special skills and personality - and I think that is what differentiates Ajax from every other team in Europe.

Like you said....Cruyff is Ajax...

LouisXIV & co

Bericht door LouisXIV & co » za mar 05, 2005 10:41 am

Kowalczyk schreef:It is fair to say that Floris Stempel (the guy who founded the club), Jack Reynolds, Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff are the three most important men in the history of Ajax.
He can write like a rocket, but he can't count. That's Ko for you! :-)
Zé of zeehond, rookies huren voor een jaar is ongezond!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za mar 05, 2005 11:10 am

LouisXIV & co schreef:He can write like a rocket, but he can't count. That's Ko for you! :-)
I have only one thing to say about that:

1. Rockets can't write
2. It's bollocks that I can't count

K.
Still alive...

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » za mar 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Rockets can't write
http://thewritersedge.com/retro51.rocket.cfm
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Rinus Michels Stadium?

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 09, 2005 3:55 am

The director of the Amsterdam ArenA has spoken out for the first time about the possibility of changing the stadium's name into Rinus Michels Stadium. Ajax supporters suggested this after Michels' death on 03 March and Ajax's general director Arie van Eijden stated that it was an idea worth considering, and that Ajax would look into the options. Van Eijden immediately added that it is, at the end of the day, not Ajax's decision. Ajax only rent the Amsterdam ArenA. The stadium has its own management and is run as an independent company, albeit with Ajax as its by far most important tenant.

In an interview with news portal Nu.nl, ArenA director Henk Markerink said: "A name change is currently not an issue for us."

"It could be an option for the future," he added, "but it's not something you do just like that. A change would be pretty far-reaching. We have our own house style now and it cost us blood, sweat and tears to claim our current name [the ArenA fought a legal battle against a budget hotel and live music venue in Amsterdam named Arena, ed.]. Moreover, other parties also have interests here."

Markerink points out that there is already a Rinus Michels Hall inside the Amsterdam ArenA. "Just to make clear that there is more than just one way of honouring someone. You could also consider naming one of the stands after Michels. It surely would be a lot easier."

K.
Still alive...

Feest

Bericht door Feest » wo mar 09, 2005 4:10 am

Four people; Four stands.

Sometimes brilliant solutions are right in front of you.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 09, 2005 8:49 am

Steef schreef:Sometimes brilliant solutions are right in front of you.
Yep, problem solved.

But I want my stand to be the Cruyff Stand! ;)

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Seats

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jul 26, 2005 9:10 am

Just thinking...

After the last home game of last season there was a report on Ajax.nl saying that Ajax had 'started with the replacement of the old seats with new seats in red and white'. This has been the wish of the supporters for a long time: red and white seats, preferably with the word 'AJAX' on the stands, or the logo or whatever. Ajax always answered that the seats were going to be used for seven seasons. They've been there for nine, but this summer they started replacing them with red and white ones.

I hope we won't be disappointed when entering the ArenA on Friday evening. I expect to notice the difference at the very least...

K.
Still alive...

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » wo jul 27, 2005 3:19 pm

I like the ArenA itself
Get a Cock

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » ma aug 14, 2006 11:12 pm

I cannot believe you forgot that we had 10th "birthday" of ArenA :eusa_dance: .

Yeah... 14.08.1996 was the day that Queen Beatrix opened Amsterdam ArenA, the new stadium of Ajax, where we moved from old De Meer... The first game was Ajax vs AC Milan, which we've lost 0-3.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di aug 15, 2006 1:44 am

14 years and 28 , or thereabouts, new pitches . Impressive. Replace your divets please. :D
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo sep 17, 2006 6:22 pm

From the Soccerway website:
AMSTERDAM, Sep 16 (SW) - The Netherlands' second biggest stadium, the Amsterdam Arena, will get red seats. These seats are to replace the current mixture of different colors.

Ajax fans have never hidden their negative opinion on the colorful design, and preferred red seats for the entire stadium.

The seats will be replaced in different phases. When the project is to be completed, is currently unknown.
One detail: the Amsterdam ArenA is actually Holland's biggest stadium: 51,628 seats officially. Rotterdam's De Kuip has 51,177.

Obviously a very good thing: it's improving, but the ArenA is still not quite Ajax's 'home'. Red (and white) seats will give the ground more of an Ajax feel. Question is: will it really happen this time...? The club have been making promises to the fans for years, but so far not much has happened. Hopefully they'll actually do it this time...

K.
Still alive...

bryan

Bericht door bryan » zo sep 17, 2006 8:35 pm

i remember reading when the stadium was first opened that the seats were designed to last 10 years of normal use. that was in 1996 of course, so they might be in need of replacement now

they could also paint the "gracht" red and white. that wouldn't cost too much, surely

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo sep 17, 2006 8:54 pm

bryan schreef:they could also paint the "gracht" red and white. that wouldn't cost too much, surely
They;ve just fixed that, actually! The gray concrete of the 'trenches' behind the two goals are now covered in red and white 'wallpaper' and Amsterdam flags. Looks quite good.

There are also two huge red banners with players on them in the roof construction of the stadium.

Both of these things look quite good, I must say. And I think the stadium will look absolutely fantastic with red (and white) seats... I can't wait!

K.
Still alive...

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » zo sep 17, 2006 9:17 pm

The best that could happen to the Arena is an old Dutch habit called: Grachten dempen. ;)
Close the 'gracht' by placing seats there, the atmosphere will improve. It would become a sort of traditional English stadium, stands close to the pitch.

bryan

Bericht door bryan » zo sep 17, 2006 11:32 pm

i noticed the banners on the roof beams "ik ben rood, wit etc" but didn't notice the red and white on the concrete. perhaps because i was on the second tier. do they have is along the side as well?

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma sep 18, 2006 5:29 am

bryan schreef:i noticed the banners on the roof beams "ik ben rood, wit etc" but didn't notice the red and white on the concrete. perhaps because i was on the second tier. do they have is along the side as well?
Hehe, I wouldn't know... Never been there...

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 09, 2007 10:40 pm

For the second in the history of the Amsterdam ArenA the ground has decided to run for the Champions League final. The final of 2011 to be precise. The first time the ArenA was one of the candidates was in 1998 - and they got it: Juventus vs Real Madrid. Nice one.

According to the reports Braintree's push for Europe is still on, so my bet is: Champions League final 2011 will be Ajax vs Braintree Town.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo jan 10, 2007 12:23 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
According to the reports Braintree's push for Europe is still on, so my bet is: Champions League final 2011 will be Ajax vs Braintree Town.

K.
I think you mean Blackpool (hmmph!!). At leat it's reasonably possible - we just need two promotions and then to finish in the top 12 (or 4) to qualify - through to the FA Cup 4th round on Saturday :xyxthumbs:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jan 10, 2007 11:13 am

I definitely don't mean Blackpool, but OPH's home town team, Braintree Town. You may not have noticed it yet, but they're on a crusade that won't stop until they've won the Champions League.

For starters, Bishop's Stortford didn't stand a chance against them.

K.
Still alive...

Plaats reactie