Amsterdam ArenA

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

martinkohout

Re: Amsterdam ArenA

Bericht door martinkohout » di aug 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Here, on the other hand, is a pretty complimentary view of the ArenA from a Sunderland supporter who was over for the Amsterdam Tournament.

One particularly interesting passage: "Last season I took in the San Siro, Old Trafford and the Emirates but if I'm honest only the San Siro is better than the Dutch giant's ground - not only is it steep and intimidating but also warm and welcoming at the same time." :confused.gif:

He also noted, "the best part of the game [Sunderland lost to Benfica 2-0] was the fact that a cute Dutch girl brought round some teas!" :smallgrin.gif:
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

Mr_Holte

Bericht door Mr_Holte » di aug 04, 2009 11:37 pm

I would have to agree with that. I think the AA is a great stadium to watch football in, particularly on a european night. Can get a great atmosphere, and compared to many new grounds I have been to, it is probably my second faviourate after Arsenals Emirates.

That said, my friend who has an Ajax season ticket hates it, and I can understand that after seeing how good De Meer looked.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do aug 06, 2009 12:55 pm

According to a survey by Voetbal International the Amsterdam ArenA now has the 4th best pitch in the Eredivisie. So can the rest of the Dutch people give that myth a rest now, please?

Actually a very good pitch.

K.
Still alive...

aztattooedsean777
Contacteer:

Bericht door aztattooedsean777 » ma sep 14, 2009 10:01 am

For those that have been there once to every match since the opening of the arena, which sections would you recommend for a first timer who wants to be around the best atmosphere in the crowd? I hope to attend my first ever match in the future, possibly this time next year.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma sep 14, 2009 10:33 am

aztattooedsean777 schreef:For those that have been there once to every match since the opening of the arena, which sections would you recommend for a first timer who wants to be around the best atmosphere in the crowd? I hope to attend my first ever match in the future, possibly this time next year.
For the best atmosphere, make sure you're on the south end of the ground: either entrance South H (first tier, sections 125 to 129) or sections 425/426 on the second tier (also on the south side, I think entrance South J). That's where 99% of the noise comes from.

If you really want to bounce up and down and sing for 90 minutes, go for 425/426 (home of Vak410, the younger Ajax fanatics). If you want things to be a bit more quiet than that, go for 125-129 (the 'old guard' of Ajax diehards, including myself).

K.
Still alive...

aztattooedsean777
Contacteer:

Bericht door aztattooedsean777 » ma sep 14, 2009 11:34 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
aztattooedsean777 schreef:For those that have been there once to every match since the opening of the arena, which sections would you recommend for a first timer who wants to be around the best atmosphere in the crowd? I hope to attend my first ever match in the future, possibly this time next year.
For the best atmosphere, make sure you're on the south end of the ground: either entrance South H (first tier, sections 125 to 129) or sections 425/426 on the second tier (also on the south side, I think entrance South J). That's where 99% of the noise comes from.

If you really want to bounce up and down and sing for 90 minutes, go for 425/426 (home of Vak410, the younger Ajax fanatics). If you want things to be a bit more quiet than that, go for 125-129 (the 'old guard' of Ajax diehards, including myself).

K.

very cool, thanks for the response! :biggthumpup.gif:

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » ma sep 14, 2009 2:23 pm

I was thrilled when the ESPN360 commentary crapped out in the first half. I was left with the sounds of the ArenA crowd. The sounds of singing and the many chants were terrific . Great atmosphere and a wonderful footballing display.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma sep 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Blind3 schreef:I was thrilled when the ESPN360 commentary crapped out in the first half. I was left with the sounds of the ArenA crowd. The sounds of singing and the many chants were terrific . Great atmosphere and a wonderful footballing display.
I know, I know. It's a real MITZVAH when the studio announcer is absent and the ArenA crowd is all you can hear.
Mark it 8, Dude.

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » ma sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Tickets for 125-129 & 425/426 are usually sold to season ticket holders only. If you can't find someone with a season ticket doing the buying for you, try to get into 124 or 101 to be close to the noise. If you don't mind watching the game from the second tier behind the goal (a loooooong way from the pitch), try 427-430.

Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma sep 14, 2009 9:40 pm

The official Ajax link page thingy of Facebook (I know!) tells me that the old Ajax letters from De Meer are back.

Not sure they are the originals as they look too new but there's a nice little photo spread here http://www.ajax.nl/Nieuws/Nieuwsarchief ... ingang.htm

Nice to see some of the old tradition back after that new club badge idea from a year or two back died a death.....
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

aztattooedsean777
Contacteer:

Bericht door aztattooedsean777 » di sep 15, 2009 12:23 am

666 schreef:Tickets for 125-129 & 425/426 are usually sold to season ticket holders only. If you can't find someone with a season ticket doing the buying for you, try to get into 124 or 101 to be close to the noise. If you don't mind watching the game from the second tier behind the goal (a loooooong way from the pitch), try 427-430.

Kowalczyk schreef:

K.

I don't like being right next to the pitch as it is hard to see everything but I don't want to be so high that I could touch the tires of planes that fly by. :biggrin.gif: I like being just high enough that I can see play develop on the pitch. :biggthumpup.gif:

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » di sep 15, 2009 1:02 am

The Arena was designed to keep the hotheads behind the goals as far away from the pitch as commercially viable. If you really want to sit/stand/jump/fall on the stands behind the goals, keep in mind that you'll get to face this piece of no man's land in between you and the pitch:

Afbeelding

Sounds like halfway up the first tier (rows 10 to 20) would suit you. The second tier has a "watching ants from a rooftop, and don't get hit by a landing gear" kind of feeling.
aztattooedsean777 schreef:I don't want to be so high that I could touch the tires of planes that fly by. I like being just high enough that I can see play develop on the pitch.
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

aztattooedsean777
Contacteer:

Bericht door aztattooedsean777 » di sep 15, 2009 1:39 pm

As much as I want to be by the people that are showing their appreciation for the wonderful sport rather than sitting on their hands as if they are watching the opera, I definitely don't want to use binoculars to view the match so I might have to sit away from either goal area.

Thanks to everyone that has given some recommendations. :biggthumpup.gif:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mei 30, 2011 3:44 pm

The Europa League final of 2013 is likely to be played at the Amsterdam ArenA. The KNVB suggested this to the UEFA, who will pick the venue for the 2013 final on 15 June. News report in Dutch, on news portal NU.nl.

A Champions League final in Holland is out of the question at the moment, as the venue for the CL final must have a capacity of at least 80,000.

The most recent UEFA final in Holland was in 2006: the UEFA Cup final in Eindhoven (Sevilla vs Middlesbrough 4-0).

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » ma mei 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Talk about mixed emotion. As much as my mind's eye would love to see Ajax contest a final on home soil, I would rather see us fight the good fight and ride the lightning in the CL.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do jun 16, 2011 7:31 pm

There you go: Europa League final of 2013 has been given to the Amsterdam ArenA.

K.
Still alive...

arizonaajax
Contacteer:

Bericht door arizonaajax » zo jun 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Blind3 schreef:I was thrilled when the ESPN360 commentary crapped out in the first half. I was left with the sounds of the ArenA crowd. The sounds of singing and the many chants were terrific . Great atmosphere and a wonderful footballing display.

Oh that must have been awesome, I would love to always have broadcasted matches be like that with no commentators. :biggthumpup.gif:

saddlerian

Bericht door saddlerian » zo jun 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:There you go: Europa League final of 2013 has been given to the Amsterdam ArenA.

K.
:ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif:

"Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) president Michael van Praag was delighted to see the final coming to Amsterdam. "We put the Amsterdam ArenA forward as a candidate because the stadium will be renovated on a large scale in the next couple of years. It will be a state-of-the-art stadium again. The KNVB has built up a good name in organising international tournaments and matches. With this final we will have the opportunity to show we are able to continue that fine tradition."

...renovated on a large scale......what does this mean?

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
34 will always be with us

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » ma jun 20, 2011 12:12 am

arizonaajax schreef:Oh that must have been awesome, I would love to always have broadcasted matches be like that with no commentators. :biggthumpup.gif:
I watch them in Dutch, of which I don't understand a word—amounts to the same thing!

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » ma jun 20, 2011 8:34 am

SaddlerIan schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:There you go: Europa League final of 2013 has been given to the Amsterdam ArenA.

K.
:ajax.gif: :ajax.gif: :ajax.gif:

"Royal Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) president Michael van Praag was delighted to see the final coming to Amsterdam. "We put the Amsterdam ArenA forward as a candidate because the stadium will be renovated on a large scale in the next couple of years. It will be a state-of-the-art stadium again. The KNVB has built up a good name in organising international tournaments and matches. With this final we will have the opportunity to show we are able to continue that fine tradition."

...renovated on a large scale......what does this mean?

:ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajaxscarf.gif:
They are trying to crank up the capacity to 70.000 by putting a 3rd ring on the Arena. Also they want to close the gap between the seats and pitch. They had plans to lower the pitch, but I don't know about the current status of that.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma jun 20, 2011 8:36 am

GangstaRiB schreef:They are trying to crank up the capacity to 70.000 by putting a 3rd ring on the Arena.
Please god, no.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma jun 20, 2011 10:40 am

To do so would mean Ajax having to play somewhere else for a year! What is the capacity of the Olympic stadium?

GangstaRiB

Bericht door GangstaRiB » ma jun 20, 2011 12:32 pm

SPL schreef:To do so would mean Ajax having to play somewhere else for a year! What is the capacity of the Olympic stadium?
The renovation would not interfere with the regular games, so they say. The Olympic stadium has a capacity of ~25000. When the Arena went into use, they demolished the 2nd ring of the Olympic.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma jun 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Cheers for that. Couldn't quite see them closing the Arena for months.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma jun 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Maybe the plan is to play the home games down the road in Rotterdam! :eusa_naughty.gif:
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Plaats reactie