Julien Escudé

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Tom_

Julien Escudé

Bericht door Tom_ » ma feb 28, 2005 2:04 pm

Do we already have a thread for him? If so, feel free to move this post Menno.

Anyway, the man can HEAD! Is that five goals from corners alone he's scored this season?

Ik ben ik

Bericht door Ik ben ik » ma feb 28, 2005 2:22 pm

According to VI.nl, Escudé is the only Ajax-player who scored with his head in this competition. Four of the five goals were with his head, only one with his knee.

And of the defenders we've had for the past ten years, only Frank de Boer ('94-'95 with 9 goals) and Chris Chivu ('02-'03 with 6 goals) scored more goals. But Escudé still had eleven matches left.
Kan het aantal characters van een signature niet opgehoogd worden van 125 naar 175 ofzo?

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Re: Julien Escudé

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 28, 2005 2:35 pm

Chugger schreef:Do we already have a thread for him? If so, feel free to move this post Menno.
Nope. He didn't have a thread yet (I think).
Anyway, the man can HEAD! Is that five goals from corners alone he's scored this season?
If I remember it correctly he scored one of his goals at De Graafschap with the knee. The other four were headers, for sure. He's always very dangerous on corners and free-kicks.

And it's not the only thing he does well. He's had a tough first season (we all remember two or three terrible mistakes, including fatal backpasses and stuff), but this season he's near-flawless defensively and at the same time he starts getting bolder: more risky but better passing, more courage to go forward, more coaching of team-mates.

He's developed into a really good player for Ajax - and if I would have to vote for 'Ajacied of the Season' right now, my vote would go to Julien SQD.

He has his own yell now, too. We briefly sang it yesterday after his goal:

Allez! Allez! Julien Escudé! (who ever said that footie fans don't speak French? :D )

By the way: remember how the entire ArenA felt about Zlatan in the beginning? And how they felt about Escudé? I've literally heard dozens, maybe over a hundred of people (fellow supporters, journalists, TV analysts) say that Zlatan and Escudé were bad-buys. They were booed and whistled at. Countless Ajax fans said that Zlatan was a complete lunatic, a spastic ostrich and a lazy basket case too clumsy to kick a ball into the right direction. And Escudé was a clueless loser, a coward who always played safe and a pussy, easily outpowered by every striker in the Eredivisie.

Right now not too many people say that anymore - and that's an understatement.

Let's think about that and have mercy on Charisteas. The Ajax crowd can be so extremely demanding - it's amazing. Players from our own youth system are allowed to make a million mistakes and they get tons of credit (best examples: Heitinga, De Jong). Foreign purchases are expected to do everything right from the start. A few disappointing matches and the grumbling starts. Give 'em a break.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma feb 28, 2005 4:05 pm

I agree with you about Escudé. His game improved significantly over the last 2 seasons. However, he is not as reliable as Chivu was.
For the rest, I wish the Ajax staff were as demanding as the Ajax crowd. Because the coach statements already showed a worrying decline in ambitions early this season.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma feb 28, 2005 6:06 pm

philippe schreef:I agree with you about Escudé. His game improved significantly over the last 2 seasons. However, he is not as reliable as Chivu was.
For the rest, I wish the Ajax staff were as demanding as the Ajax crowd. Because the coach statements already showed a worrying decline in ambitions early this season.
I really wonder how long that "Chivu is Mr Perfect" myth can last. People tend to forget that this guy was sent out every six games on average, that he had his flaws too, and OVER ALL that he played in a team that played way better and ALWAYS with the same rock solid norwegian team mate (that allowed him to show off)... But in the end I always hear that "Escudé is not early as good as Chris' pubes" bull shit. To be honest I can't wait to read the comments when he'll leave and be replaced by the brilliant *cough* NOT !! Johnny Heitinga.

Not that I'm bitter, but I'm kind of tired of him never getting the awards he deserves. I mean so far he's been the "Man van de wedstrijd" in say, one third of the games since the beginning of the season ?? He scored 5 times (and sometimes important goals) and he is flawless in the center of the defence (even though Ronald Cow Man decided in the beginning that the locals De Jong and Heitinga were better than him and Grygera, making him lose time and quality in his relationship with his Czech fellow).

I'm not saying that he is the new Beckenbauer, but let's face it, he is one of the best players of the team (the most regular anyway) and a very good replacement for the Romanian.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 28, 2005 7:10 pm

Hang on, I don't get it mate... Who are you angry with? Who is not giving SQD the credit he deserves?

Crowd and press were critical at the beginning, when he was making mistakes (he deserved the time to get through that phase and the Ajax crowd are an impatient lot, but again: he did make mistakes).

Now that he's doing well the fans yell his name, he's a guaranteed starter in the team, he's reserve captain and he wins the 'Man of the Match' title on a weekly basis (which is a 'popular vote', based on text messages from the fans). Also, the press start to appreciate him now.

So, to be honest I don't see what you're complaining about...

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma feb 28, 2005 7:55 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Hang on, I don't get it mate... Who are you angry with? Who is not giving SQD the credit he deserves?

Crowd and press were critical at the beginning, when he was making mistakes (he deserved the time to get through that phase and the Ajax crowd are an impatient lot, but again: he did make mistakes).

Now that he's doing well the fans yell his name, he's a guaranteed starter in the team, he's reserve captain and he wins the 'Man of the Match' title on a weekly basis (which is a 'popular vote', based on text messages from the fans). Also, the press start to appreciate him now.

So, to be honest I don't see what you're complaining about...

K.
Well, I'm basically complaining about those Chivu related remarks. It's like a ghost haunting the ArenA. Escudé kicks ass and although I keep hearing people stating that "He is not as good as Chivu", "He is not in Chivu's league, but he does the job". What I'm saying is that Chivu sure was a really good player, but so is Julien. So instead of bringing the myths of the past on and on, let's hail the current excellent players of our squad (it was the same stuff with Zlatan, and I don't give much time to Charisteas before he is compared to him...) and give them our support.

But of course I know that many people now realize how talented SQD can be (and those chants are the best proof). He'll never be a natural leader as Chris could be, but he is as good for me.

Frans

Re: Julien Escudé

Bericht door Frans » di mar 01, 2005 4:40 am

Kowalczyk schreef: Let's think about that and have mercy on Charisteas. The Ajax crowd can be so extremely demanding - it's amazing. Players from our own youth system are allowed to make a million mistakes and they get tons of credit (best examples: Heitinga, De Jong). Foreign purchases are expected to do everything right from the start. A few disappointing matches and the grumbling starts. Give 'em a break.
K.
Maybe the coaches shouldn't go dumping new purchases straight in the deep end. It's all very well to expect a player who is earning good money to pull their weight immediately but it must be remembered that they are coming to a new country, which requires a settling in period to become accustomed to the culture and language, not to mention the playing style at the club. Ajax invests good money in these players, so they would be well served to ease these players in, not shatter their confidence after a month at the club, and thereby lose out on their investment. Start Charisteas on the bench, and let him earn his spot in the team from there.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

"Allez! Allez! Julien SQD!"

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Very good news!

Julien Escudé has been called up for France for the very first time! Ajax.nl reports that he received the invitation rather unexpectedly, early on Thursday afternoon. He will be in the squad for France's World Cup qualifiers against Switzerland (at home on Saturday) and Israel (away on Wednesday).

To get into the picture for the national team... It was one of the reasons for Julien to join Ajax in the first place. He's been absolutely superb in recent months (my Man Of The Season so far) and this is the reward. Very, very good for him. Congratulations, mon ami.

"The adventure has begun," SQD told Ajax.nl. "I am very, very happy. I can hardly believe it right now, but I'm sure it the reality will start to dawn on me once I'm there. The dream can begin. This is great. One player wasn't 100% fit and the coach decided to call me."

Julien didn't even have time anymore to have lunch with the team. He jumped in his car and drove off.

:xyxthumbs:

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Re: "Allez! Allez! Julien SQD!"

Bericht door carcajou » do mar 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Very good news!

Julien Escudé has been called up for France for the very first time! Ajax.nl reports that he received the invitation rather unexpectedly, early on Thursday afternoon. He will be in the squad for France's World Cup qualifiers against Switzerland (at home on Saturday) and Israel (away on Wednesday).

To get into the picture for the national team... It was one of the reasons for Julien to join Ajax in the first place. He's been absolutely superb in recent months (my Man Of The Season so far) and this is the reward. Very, very good for him. Congratulations, mon ami.

"The adventure has begun," SQD told Ajax.nl. "I am very, very happy. I can hardly believe it right now, but I'm sure it the reality will start to dawn on me once I'm there. The dream can begin. This is great. One player wasn't 100% fit and the coach decided to call me."

Julien didn't even have time anymore to have lunch with the team. He jumped in his car and drove off.

:xyxthumbs:

K.
Good news. But I'm still wondering how in hell are players allowed to drive their cars to international games. I mean the roads are pretty dangerous. I would've thought that there would've been a clause like "You have to go by train" or something like that.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Carcajou schreef:But I'm still wondering how in hell are players allowed to drive their cars to international games. I mean the roads are pretty dangerous. I would've thought that there would've been a clause like "You have to go by train" or something like that.
You are... weird, mate. We all love you! But you're weird. :aai:

I mean, if someone would put a gun to my head and say to me "You better find something in this story that worries you - otherwise you're dead meat!", I really couldn't think of something to save my life... But you did it! There is something in this story you can, theoretically, worry about! Amazing... I would never have found it, but it's there!

:rofl:

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do mar 24, 2005 4:10 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Carcajou schreef:But I'm still wondering how in hell are players allowed to drive their cars to international games. I mean the roads are pretty dangerous. I would've thought that there would've been a clause like "You have to go by train" or something like that.

I mean, if someone would put a gun to my head and say to me "You better find something in this story that worries you - otherwise you're dead meat!", I really couldn't think of something to save my life... But you did it! There is something in this story you can, theoretically, worry about! Amazing... I would never have found it, but it's there!

K.
No I'm not worried at all, but you know how players aren't allowed to do some activities like skiing and stuff.... So I was wondering "how come that the club takes the risk of letting players drive their car from point X to point Y".... You know what I mean. But of course it kicks ass that he's been (at last) called to the selection. :xyxthumbs:

astabooty
Contacteer:

Bericht door astabooty » do mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm

Carcajou schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
No I'm not worried at all, but you know how players aren't allowed to do some activities like skiing and stuff.... So I was wondering "how come that the club takes the risk of letting players drive their car from point X to point Y".... You know what I mean. But of course it kicks ass that he's been (at last) called to the selection. :xyxthumbs:
maybe he drove to the trainstation?

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr mar 25, 2005 6:31 am

I am disappointed in the lot of you. SQD gets his call-up, and this is all we can muster as a discussion? Tsk tsk...

What are the chances he'll actually play?

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » vr mar 25, 2005 9:01 am

Good to excellent, according to Le 5.

I presume this news means Jean-Alain Boumsong is injured?

Anyway, he has his chance to impress at international level, and let's hope he takes it. He certainly deserves his opportunity, to look as good as he has this season in an Ajax defence as dissfunctional as the Osborn family, is a major triumph.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr mar 25, 2005 9:06 am

Good for you, Escudé, first french man ever to play for Ajax.
Considering the current level of France, I do not think it is a good sign for Ajax. Considering the current level of Ajax, I do not think it is a good sign for France.
Well, a man needs a goal as they say.
But I dream of a time when a player will say “the reason why I wanted to play with the country … squad was that the next step would be Ajax : my dream is to play with Ajax”.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr mar 25, 2005 10:55 am

Actually I guess the chances of seeing him on the pitch are quite low...

Raymond Domenech will probably stick to players he knows the best, namely Jean Alain Boumsong and Gaël Givet for the two spots in the center of the defence. BUT as Gaël givet is not 100% match fit and as Eric Abidal (one of the runner-ups for the spot of left centra defender) has caught a cold, maybe he can play for say... 30 minutes in the end of the game. But anyway this will be my first France game since..... phew..... 98 ?
meh :|

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr mar 25, 2005 11:02 am

Will be quite cool to see SQD in the blue strip of the national team...

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di mar 29, 2005 7:47 am

he looked bored to death in his blue rain coat, watching a pathetic game, sitting on a bench

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » di mar 29, 2005 9:49 am

philippe schreef:he looked bored to death in his blue rain coat, watching a pathetic game, sitting on a bench
Ohoho.... Man was that pathetic.......... The French team was so lame and inefficient I could have X'C
meh :|

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do mar 31, 2005 9:49 am

Which is in the worst situation France or Ajax ? I am not sure, but I would say France.

Frans

Bericht door Frans » do mar 31, 2005 9:59 am

philippe schreef:Which is in the worst situation France or Ajax ? I am not sure, but I would say France.
France can still win their group. I think they're much better placed. Anyway, I'd rather they didn't make it to the world cup. Just because. ;)

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » do mar 31, 2005 5:23 pm

France problem has come from way back, they have played badly since Korea-Japan 2002, the exact problem seems hard to find i mean israel´s goal was the first they conceded in their group, besides that they seem to miss huge clear chances and simply pay the price in the end.
Trezeguet´s :redcard: was the deciding factor, i dont think Israel would have been able to score if france finished with 11 players.
Anyways the tie puts both teams in a bad spot with the Irish and Swiss i believe a point behind both but with a game in hand.

As of now, its a wide open race where anything can happen
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do mar 31, 2005 7:27 pm

Watched the match on delay ,on Fox Soccer Channel, between 6 and 8 last night.France had opportunities to put the game away before the Trezeguet header.Between them not capitalizing and Trezeguet confronting,of all people, Tal Ben Haim, they deserved what they got. If they didn't know of his rep ,shame on them.As the FSC announcer said,breathe on him and he goes down like a sack of spuds. Add Barthez and the no defensive subs from Domenech while up 0:1 and you get 1:1.

Glad to hear mention of SQD. Still think Ireland are in the driving seat, with France play-off bound.Israel have too many road games left and the Swiss aren't as strong as a mediocre French side or a decent,not great, Irish side.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr apr 01, 2005 10:04 am

France played well for about two to three years. That 2-3 year span just happened to coincide with the WC, which they hosted, and the EC. During that time, they had several key players on form (Zidane, Trezuguet, Thuram, Desailly, Blanc, Barthez). IMHO Zidane was the key - before his rise to glory France had a tendency to wilt under pressure (like when they failed to qualify for WC 94).

Without him (and even in EC 04, when he was past his prime), they seem to be reverting to their old form. In other words, I think that France's 2 titles were the exception rather than the rule for them.

Gesloten