Ryan Babel

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » vr feb 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Lets not get our hopes up for the second half of the season, dont get me wrong I am chuffed over the past signings (Leonardo, Davids) and contract renewals (Babel, Vermeer), I dont mean to be a party pooper but I just want to give everyone a reality check, we still have tough games (away to Twente, AZ and PSV) not to mention a 2 legged game against Werder Bremen, and we might have to win the play offs, I just want to give everyone a reality check :xyxthumbs:

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » vr feb 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Ayman schreef:Lets not get our hopes up for the second half of the season, dont get me wrong I am chuffed over the past signings (Leonardo, Davids) and contract renewals (Babel, Vermeer), I dont mean to be a party pooper but I just want to give everyone a reality check, we still have tough games (away to Twente, AZ and PSV) not to mention a 2 legged game against Werder Bremen, and we might have to win the play offs, I just want to give everyone a reality check :xyxthumbs:
Nobody says, that it's gonna be easy :D but this is football, the ball is circular ;)

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » za feb 03, 2007 9:22 am

Good news that Babel signed a new contract. I hope that this deal won't be a pretext to earn the bigger money for him in the summer...

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 07, 2007 8:31 pm

AsgAarD_xxx schreef:Good news that Babel signed a new contract. I hope that this deal won't be a pretext to earn the bigger money for him in the summer...
A bit late, but the news report is up now. Might be a good read anyway... :yes: ;)

http://www.ajax-usa.com/news/2006-2007/ ... -2010.html

K.
Still alive...

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » wo mar 07, 2007 8:14 pm

Daily Mirror write:
BABEL DO NICELY FOR ARSENAL
By John Cross 06/03/2007

ARSENE WENGER has targeted Ajax winger Ryan Babel for a £6million summer swoop by Arsenal.

Wenger will offload Swedish midfielder Freddie Ljungberg, and has already lined up new faces - with 20-year-old Babel emerging as his No.1 recruit.

The Gunners boss has also been tracking Marseille winger Franck Ribery, but he will face stiff competition from Real Madrid for the £15m-rated French World Cup star.

That has led Wenger to go for Holland international Babel, who can also play through the middle as a centre forward.

Dutch boss Marco van Basten has already tipped Babel to become the "next Thierry Henry" after he scored in Romania on his international debut in 2005.

Babel has also been chased by Newcastle but Arsenal are now ahead in the race to sign him.

And Mirror Sport can reveal that the Gunners rolled out the red carpet for Babel in January when he was at the Emirates Stadium for a match as a guest of Dutch pal Robin van Persie.
i think babel would cost definetly more than 6m £ for them. but i'm quite calm about that, because i think babel will stay at Ajax for at least year and a half

Dubbel
AT EC 2012 winner

Bericht door Dubbel » wo mar 07, 2007 8:45 pm

6 million Pounds? Double or triple that please. Not because Ryan is per se worth that much but simply because the new tv deal will give the English teams so much money that any decent player will go for 20 million Euros or more.

Goody

Bericht door Goody » do mar 08, 2007 1:21 am

Considering Arsenal were willing to splash out £12 million on Theo Walcott- near unproven, and close to £20 million on Reyes, I'd be at least hoping for an eight figure sum.
Every disadvantage has its advantage.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mar 08, 2007 11:12 am

He's a Dutch international, he's pretty hot at the moment and he just signed a contract renewal until 2010.

Conclusion: 15 million euros at least - or we won't even accept the Arsenal bloke's business card.

K.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do mar 08, 2007 11:44 am

Ko, you need to start being realistic, we're never getting 15 million euros for that player. The day he'll start bitching, behaving like a complete twat in the locker to put pressure on the board, the price will go down, cause that's the way it goes. Plus he's not even that good...
meh :|

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » do mar 08, 2007 11:46 am

How much was Essien? He isn't even that good either.

In this world, players are over priced, plain simple.
Get a Cock

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do mar 08, 2007 11:47 am

ZoefdeHaas schreef:How much was Essien? He isn't even that good either.

Essien is good, just not as good at Chelsea as he was in Lyon.

ZoefdeHaas

Bericht door ZoefdeHaas » do mar 08, 2007 11:51 am

carcajou schreef:
ZoefdeHaas schreef:How much was Essien? He isn't even that good either.

Essien is good, just not as good at Chelsea as he was in Lyon.
Yet he probably isn't worth the 35 or w/e million euros they paid for him. Lyon did that because Chelsea are big spenders. Arsenal can be too, so overprice Babel considering he has a lengthly contract.
Get a Cock

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 08, 2007 7:02 pm

Watching Arsenal alot with my son would have no idea how he would get in the team. He might play on our left wing but a left winger he is not.!! They play 4-4-2.He is promising but no more at present.

On the price Sneijder, to Barca, is quoted at only £8m!!!!!

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr mar 09, 2007 9:43 am

SPL schreef:Watching Arsenal alot with my son would have no idea how he would get in the team. He might play on our left wing but a left winger he is not.!! They play 4-4-2.He is promising but no more at present.

On the price Sneijder, to Barca, is quoted at only £8m!!!!!
That's also because Sneijder is a GOOD player, but not a GREAT player. He's one of the many disappointing players of the recent Ajax Youth Academy crops. £8 million seems fair to me.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr mar 09, 2007 4:38 pm

"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr mar 09, 2007 5:08 pm

very good news :party:
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr mar 09, 2007 9:53 pm

Well, we're either very serious about keeping him or (cynical) very serious about getting a load of money for him. Good One anyway!
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

ajax-erie

Bericht door ajax-erie » wo mei 09, 2007 7:31 am

WENGER TO GET BABEL £6M

ARSENE WENGER can get his top transfer summer target on the cheap after it emerged that Ajax winger Ryan Babel has a £6million get-out clause.

The Arsenal boss has been tracking 20-year-old Dutch forward Babel as he seeks to strengthen his squad.

Babel signed a new deal with Ajax only in February but it included a buy-out clause as the idea of a move to the Emirates Stadium appeals to him.
ONCE AJAX-ALWAYS AJAX

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo mei 09, 2007 12:09 pm

I would bite their hands off. 9m euros is good money for someone who is still only promising.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 09, 2007 1:17 pm

I would also be... tempted.

K.
Still alive...

Gunner

Bericht door Gunner » za mei 12, 2007 7:40 pm

Hey, I was wondering if there's any more news out of Holland on the Babel to Arsenal transfer ... From my name I'd hope you can guess my team...

Kinda weak joining a forum just over this, I admit. Don't hate me :) I do also sort of follow Dutch footie, it was the craziest last league day ever. I'd like to stick around, but I have very little I could contribute (I don't get to watch Dutch footie here in SA).

You guys seem not to rate him, which I find worrying. I love Ajax's youth system, produces awesome players, so I wonder if that's not bit harsh? He's only 20, still developing, and if he was that bad surely someone would come through the ranks to replace him?
Ashburton Grove :P

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » za mei 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Welcome to Ajaxtalk, Gunner. I'm an Arsenal-sympathizer myself. It's been a rough year. :wink.gif:

Now about Babel. The kid has raw talent. He's strong, quick on and off the ball and has a powerful shot which he doesn't need a lot of room or time for to pull off. He seems to have trouble reading the game though and he's also quite selfish. With his qualities, he should be playing off or combining with our leftback Emanuelson or leftmidfielder Davids. He can be creative though, as he's able to play out his man in a one on one situation. And you have to remember that the position in which he plays in our team is not the ideal position for him. He really is a striker, just not one that fits in Ajax' way of playing. His first touch is abominable at times and he's not very good at playing the ball first time to set up a midfielder or winger, which makes his play with his back to goal mediocre at most.

There's no other youth player seriously pushing for Babel's place right now, but we do have veteran Kenneth Perez. Our headcoach HtC fancies Babel though. He has a lot of confidence in the team. As for the supporters, I think about 60% of them will think they're not Babel fans, whereas 40% of them will tell you the kid has some serious skills and is going places.

Gunner

Bericht door Gunner » za mei 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Thomas schreef:Welcome to Ajaxtalk, Gunner. I'm an Arsenal-sympathizer myself. It's been a rough year. :wink.gif:
Indeed :)

Can I ask what formation Ajax play? A friend of mine told me a 4-3-3, but I may be wrong.

And I'm hoping that Emmanuelson becomes awesome. I hate van Bronkhorst, can't wait to see him replaced in Oranje :)

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » za mei 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Ajax have played in many different formations this year. They've played 4-4-2 with fantastic succes in tough away games against PSV (1-5), Utrecht (2-3) and Heerenveen (0-2). In home games they've played in a poor 4-3-3 formation or a better balanced and more succesful 3-4-3 formation.

Gunner

Bericht door Gunner » za mei 12, 2007 8:51 pm

I assume that KJH is in the centre and then Babel is out wide? Is that why you say he's 'a striker, just not one that fits in Ajax' way of playing'?

Gesloten