The Ajax USA website

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

The Ajax USA website

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 07, 2005 8:27 am

This is the thread for all you comments on and questions to http://www.ajax-usa.com/ The Ajax USA staff serve as moderators of the English Zones here on Ajax Talk, so you're darn close to the source...

Lemme start this topic by saying that Ajax USA seems to be temporarily down at the moment... :au:

I noticed this a few times in the past week: all of a sudden the site is down, but after 15 minutes or so it's back up... Not much we can do about it I'm afraid.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di feb 08, 2005 7:05 am

All i can say is keep up the fantastic work with the site. nothing comes close. looking forward to meeting the gang for the ajax-psv game.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » ma feb 14, 2005 9:45 am

The site is down at the moment :
Database Not Available
CMS could not serve this page because a connection to the database was not available.

Please have the system administrator check the database and application server.

ajaxnumberone
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxnumberone » ma feb 14, 2005 5:05 pm

Yep, I can't connect to it at the moment. I hope it will be okie, i'm ready to take some information about De Ridder but now it is down.

I always support Ajax-uSa website :aai: Hope it will be okie as soon as possible

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » ma feb 14, 2005 6:14 pm

The site is back up.

A little bit of background is in order... Ajax USA is hosted for FREE by some friends of mine who run a small consulting company based on their Content Management Software. They are consultants, and not in the business of hosting websites, so monitoring and up-time are not high priorities for them. And since we don't pay them to host us on a service that they could charge hundreds per month for (it's a full-fledged CMS), we're not really in a position to complain about the instability.

I ran Ajax USA for eight years as a static website, all hand-coded HTML and custom CGI's. Not ideal. Having CMS for the back-end is so much nicer.

So... as much as I hate to see the site go down, especially on a Monday morning (highest traffic point of the week), I can't complain or pressure them to do anything differently.

What can I say? You get what you pay for. ;-)

__earth
Contacteer:

Bericht door __earth » ma feb 14, 2005 6:29 pm

hye hey hye

why the change of heart, from soccerpages to here?

(must admit, this site is faster)

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma feb 14, 2005 11:21 pm

__earth schreef:why the change of heart, from soccerpages to here?
Okay - before I tell you about the details: we would probably have contacted Ajax Talk sooner or later anyway, because this site is faster (SoccerPages was briefly down on a regular basis), much better looking and more lively (more interaction with the 'locals').

However, there is also a story behind it.

One of the problems at SoccerPages was the fact that we did not know the webmaster, and we found it kind of worrying that the Ajax Zone was the only busy/lively one. The rest of the forum was almost completely dead, so Jim and I repeatedly said to each other: sooner or later this dude will lose interest and pull the plug - perhaps without telling us.

And that's exactly what seemed to happen on 31 January: the site went down for a day... for one week... for ten days... for two weeks... We tried to contact the webmaster, but all of his e-mail adresses had become invalid. So we concluded: he pulled the plug indeed (without informing the moderators of his only busy zone!) - so we have to find something else.

SoccerPages returned, which I did not expect, but the point still stands. The webmaster and I had been in touch via e-mail a few times, but when the site went down (and Ajax USA effectively lost its forum) he never bothered to drop us a note. We had no idea what was going on - and I must say that that is not my idea of what a 'partnership' should be like.

I am very happy to be here at Ajax Talk: I've known the moderators for quite some years, I know the regulars and I love the look of the site and the quality of the forum - both 'technically' (speed and stuff) as well as the level of the discussions over here.

So, this is our new home - and I can't imagine that any Ajax USA'er will disagree with me that it's an improvement (if you do disagree: feel free to say so, by the way!)

K.
Still alive...

ajaxnumberone
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxnumberone » di feb 15, 2005 2:09 pm

Yeah ! I agree with u AFCA, this is our new home with better interface, faster. But I wonder may be some of our friends haven't known this site yet. :bis: Our topics should be similar to what were in Soccerpagesforum ! What about the UEFA topic ? Ajax Tecnical director and manager, coach ? Ajax formation ?

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di feb 15, 2005 3:50 pm

ajaxnumberone schreef:Our topics should be similar to what were in Soccerpagesforum !
I know that most of you prefer it that way. That's why we're doing it the same way over here.
What about the UEFA topic ?
You mean the UEFA Cup games thread? That's the only thing that's changed: we have a separate zone over here for discussions about games. One thread for every game. There's already one for Ajax vs Auxerre.
Technical director and manager, coach ?
Already there, mate...
Ajax formation ?
Not there yet. If you have something interesting to say - feel free to start it! (I'm not the only one allowed to start topics, you know).

K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » di feb 15, 2005 10:14 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MENNO!
Salutations to Menno Pot on the anniversary of his birth. My very best wishes to the esteemed Editor of Ajax USA, who is also a fine moderator and a very best friend.

Jim and Menno at last year's birthday bash at DVVA

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » di feb 15, 2005 10:19 pm

But who is who? The left one hasn't got a Dutch face, so i guess that must be Jim..
I think I lost my fucking headache

Drecul

Bericht door Drecul » di feb 15, 2005 11:07 pm

congratulations Menno!
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win- M.Ghandi

Ramona
Erelid, Toto winner 03/04, 17/18, EC 08

Bericht door Ramona » di feb 15, 2005 11:24 pm

Afbeelding

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo feb 16, 2005 12:42 am

Lucas schreef:But who is who? The left one hasn't got a Dutch face, so i guess that must be Jim..
That's right. But I once got in big trouble (not really) for telling someone they have a "typically Dutch face". :eusa_dance:

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo feb 16, 2005 1:46 am

Happy Birthday Menno...free bier for you when we catch up in amsterdam.

Congrats

__earth
Contacteer:

Bericht door __earth » do feb 17, 2005 6:47 am

Kowalczyk schreef:So, this is our new home - and I can't imagine that any Ajax USA'er will disagree with me that it's an improvement (if you do disagree: feel free to say so, by the way!)

K.
I agree to disagree to disagree. Love you guys.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » do feb 17, 2005 5:21 pm

ajaxusa schreef:HAPPY BIRTHDAY MENNO!
Salutations to Menno Pot on the anniversary of his birth. My very best wishes to the esteemed Editor of Ajax USA, who is also a fine moderator and a very best friend.

Jim and Menno at last year's birthday bash at DVVA
Good times! Wish I could be there this year... X'C

ajaxnumberone
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxnumberone » do feb 17, 2005 8:01 pm

Happy Birthday Menno ! Best Wishes for U !

I just know U're really fantastic supporter ! :xyxthumbs: I dun know but I really enjoy your posts, your works etc in AjaxUSA website :D !

Oh when I first visit this English section, I can't find your nickname AFCA as you're in Soccerpages, I think maybe I'm lost , and I rechecked what I saw about the new link to Discussion !!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Site down...

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 04, 2005 11:58 am

Ajax USA appears to be down at the moment...

Don't know what's wrong, don't know how for how long it will be. We will have to wait until California wakes up and Jim can contact our server host. Or maybe it will return automatically (happens sometimes).

Anyway - our apologies for the incovenience.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Re: Site down...

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Ajax USA appears to be down at the moment...
Back up now!

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Who the f#ck is Version Twenty?

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 27, 2005 2:50 pm

It's always nice to hear that people appreciate the stuff we do, but this is a bit... bizarre.

I just stumbled across a website named Version Twenty by some guy named Ferry. A whole sub-site of Version Twenty is dedicated to Ajax. It's pretty much dedicated to Ajax USA, in fact... It appears that this guy basically publishes every single match and news report we publish. Without crediting Ajax USA as the source, without crediting the author - actually, he explicitly puts his own name at the top of every article. It's just too shameless. He even uses the pictures we use, taken from Ajax.nl (we have Ajax.nl's official permission for that; he surely doesn't).

Check it out...
http://www.versiontwenty.com/ajax.php

I dropped this guy a note, (politely) telling him to take our stuff down from his website. If he doesn't I will take legal action.

I mean: come on! We're not in it for the money and if someone uses our text with a link to the original and a proper source credit, we really don't mind. But this dude is a complete 'parasite'. No respect for that. And no mercy, as a result of that...

Edit: Ah. It appears he's also registered here on Ajax Talk. he posted once - to our own Match Of The Day zone... This is him:
http://www.ajaxtalk.nl/portal/profile.p ... file&u=738

Ferrykoek, if you read this: what were you thinking? :sneaky1:

K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » wo apr 27, 2005 4:47 pm

He is probably a young kid and doesn't really know the 'groundrules'. Give him a day or two to respond before invoking the wrath of Ko. :redcard:

Drecul

Bericht door Drecul » wo apr 27, 2005 6:38 pm

He's from den bosch roosendaal area. (So technically we can't blame him for anything ;) )

if you need ip address info I can put it on PM for you. I even can trace his real address with a bit of luck and ignorance from his part. ( I think that last one wont give me any problems ;) )

Let me know and I'll push tha button.
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win- M.Ghandi

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 27, 2005 6:44 pm

ajaxusa schreef:He is probably a young kid and doesn't really know the 'groundrules'. Give him a day or two to respond before invoking the wrath of Ko. :redcard:
I will give him a day or two, of course. I posted a message on his site, I sent him e-mail and I posted this message here, so he really can't miss it.

If he says "oops, you're right, I'm sorry" - and takes our stuff down, there will be no problem whatsoever. But even if he's a spotty teenager he really should understand now that he's been wrong. He should feel quite embarrassed and 'guilty' now. I won't accept any games.

(Drecul: thanks for your offer. I might take you up on it after the weekend, but let's give him some time...).

K.
Still alive...

Drecul

Bericht door Drecul » wo apr 27, 2005 6:55 pm

Well this is what Ferry says about himself:

Look here for the real thing:

http://www.versiontwenty.com/smf/index. ... d=12;image

First of all myself. most users on this forum already know me since september 2004 and know i'm a real spam-a-holic on every forum i visit

Nick name: Ferrykoek or MasterFerrykoek
Real name: Ferry van Tillo; Full name is Sir Paulus Fransiscus Ferry van Tillo van Padua
Born according to passport: Lepelstraat, Royal Kingdom of The Netherlands, The Netherlands
Current residing in: Lepelstraat
School: Finished Lab-school and currently following Advanced Security College
Heigth: 6.8 ft
Weigth: 68 kg =147 pounds (i think)
Hobbies: Playing Football with the local youth, drawing gibberish, playing pool, going to the bar with friends, RPG games

More about myself: I consider myself a decent raised youngster, yet head-strong on many occasions, not always for the best, but also not knowingly at that time. Polite for elders and strangers, rude and abrasive against "evil" looking youth.. but overall open-minded, tolerant and always ready for a party
on the internet i'm also open-minded, but even more so then normal.. i spam a lot. i talk a lot, and most remarks i make are meant funny. hardly serious. unless the situation asks for it. and then i'm a good listener

Well I see no reason why he will not take it down since he says he's a good listener :yes:

Gesloten