Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

zeux

Re: Grab Bag Of Random Posts

Bericht door zeux » vr aug 08, 2014 11:30 am

ofey schreef:Sorry for dirtying your screens and wasting pixels]
Nice line. :-)
"Mensen worden door vraagtekens aan het denken gezet, niet door uitroeptekens." J.L. Heldring

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Ajax accept the ALS ice bucket challenge and then challenge PSV and Bjorn Kuipers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vB0retjT0
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » wo aug 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Afbeelding

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo aug 20, 2014 5:20 pm

^^^Too true and the current Ebola outbreak is particularly disheartening.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za aug 23, 2014 10:11 am

Wow, what's with the new password requirements here? Problems with identity theft? My AjaxTalk password is now stronger (and harder to remember) than my internet banking one...

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Grab Bag Of Random Posts

Bericht door raymon » za aug 23, 2014 11:26 am

Tom_ schreef:Wow, what's with the new password requirements here? Problems with identity theft? My AjaxTalk password is now stronger (and harder to remember) than my internet banking one...
Social Engineering doesn't stop at your bank unfortunately but I may relax the frequency of forced changing a bit.
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 23, 2014 11:31 am

Yeah, I had the problem the other day because I had forgotten my old password! Raymon kindly reset things for me and I've added the new one to my encrypted password manager.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za aug 23, 2014 12:23 pm

You're right, it's good to be secure. Problem is when your password is so complicated you have to write it down!

Remember this? http://xkcd.com/936/

:)

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za aug 23, 2014 1:19 pm

^^LOL! Lots of sites have different password policies now and it gets confusing in terms of when you can or cannot use symbols. I've dabbled in cryptography over the years and understand the ins and outs of things. I like to use Password Safe as you can easily configure it to generate site dependent passwords. It's also portable to my phone and Android pad though you have to manually load the database each time there is a change so it's not for those who are not technically savvy.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za aug 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Been off line for 2 days only just changed password after a bit of hassle . Good to be back.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » zo aug 24, 2014 5:43 am

I was wondering about that. I thought I'd forgotten my password there for a minute.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di sep 16, 2014 8:38 pm

I am off to Amsterdam on Thursday with my wife for 4 nights. Not great planning as no games but as my son has gone off to Gran Canaria with girlfriend we decided to go for a long weekend abroad and it seemed easier to book Amsterdam.All very last minute booking though, even my cousin ,who lives just outside Amsterdam ,is on holiday but at least the wife and I can please ourselves what to do. By taking her now she says I should go for a football weekend later on in the season.Probably wait until Feb or March now.

I will go to the club shop and probably drop into de Toekomst Saturday afternoon to see the A1 youth's but not the same as watching a real game. Might find a pub on Sunday to watch the big game though.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » wo sep 17, 2014 6:13 am

If you arrive in time on Thursday you can see Ajax A1 play the youngsters of PSG at 3:30 pm local time. :biggthumpup.gif:

There can also be an opportunity to visit Feyenoord-Ajax in Rotterdam on Sunday, but in that case I would strictly advise you to behave as an Englishman who's never seen a Dutch game in the stadium before. :smile-ajax.gif: They'll murder you when you admit you're an Ajax fan. :smallgrin.gif: Not a joke.

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » do sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm

SPL schreef:I am off to Amsterdam on Thursday with my wife for 4 nights. Not great planning as no games but as my son has gone off to Gran Canaria with girlfriend we decided to go for a long weekend abroad and it seemed easier to book Amsterdam.All very last minute booking though, even my cousin ,who lives just outside Amsterdam ,is on holiday but at least the wife and I can please ourselves what to do. By taking her now she says I should go for a football weekend later on in the season.Probably wait until Feb or March now.

I will go to the club shop and probably drop into de Toekomst Saturday afternoon to see the A1 youth's but not the same as watching a real game. Might find a pub on Sunday to watch the big game though.
excellent! enjoy yourself!

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr sep 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Cruijff schreef:If you arrive in time on Thursday you can see Ajax A1 play the youngsters of PSG at 3:30 pm local time. :biggthumpup.gif:
Ajax A1 - PSG A1 ended in a 6-1 victory for our Ajax! :smile-ajax.gif: We took a 5-0 lead and blew these guys of the field! :biggthumpup.gif:

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr sep 19, 2014 6:18 pm

Cruijff schreef:
Cruijff schreef:If you arrive in time on Thursday you can see Ajax A1 play the youngsters of PSG at 3:30 pm local time. :biggthumpup.gif:
Ajax A1 - PSG A1 ended in a 6-1 victory for our Ajax! :smile-ajax.gif: We took a 5-0 lead and blew these guys of the field! :biggthumpup.gif:
Nice, but P$G has a s much interest in developing football talent as goldfish has in pogo sticks.
I'm actually surprised that they have have a "A1".
Still, I'm obviously pleased we beat them .... :headbang.gif:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr sep 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:
Cruijff schreef:Ajax A1 - PSG A1 ended in a 6-1 victory for our Ajax! :smile-ajax.gif: We took a 5-0 lead and blew these guys of the field! :biggthumpup.gif:
Nice, but P$G has a s much interest in developing football talent as goldfish has in pogo sticks.
I'm actually surprised that they have have a "A1".
Still, I'm obviously pleased we beat them .... :headbang.gif:
Yes they have a complete youth academy. Their A1 was mostly filled with big and physically strong looking African guys.

Van der Wiel didn't only criticize Laurent Blancs tactics last Wednesday, 6 months ago he gave thumbs up to the Ajax academy. He said that compared to the youth players at Ajax the youngsters at PSG didn't have the level to assemble to the first squad. In his eyes none of them are good enough even to train with the first team.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » za sep 20, 2014 11:25 am

Here you guys can see the highlights of the 6-1 victory against PSG:
http://www.ajax.nl/Ajax-TV/198230/Ajax- ... League.htm

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di sep 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Back home after 5 wonderful days in Amsterdam ,home to the world's greatest and most important football club.Didn't get to see any football but just went to the Arena to go to the club shop and show my wife the ground. After the crowds in the city we escaped on Sunday afternoon to Volendam and the really beautiful little neighbour Edam. Been to Volendam before and noticed how it has grown in size,but never been to Edam what a magical little place.

Have to say if the British were running Amsterdam the red light district would be closed, drugs made illegal,the canals would be fenced off in case anyone fell in and of course the most dangerous things in the city ,bikes would be banned under Health and Safety.

BUT something very British happened yesterday,the trains to the Airport were not running!

I first came to Amsterdam in 1969 aged 18 and I still love the place its magical ,completely different to anywhere else, and they all speak english!

Now the wife has been again she says I should come over next year on my own to watch football.

pizza 5

Bericht door pizza 5 » di sep 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Good Evening Gentlemen,

This may be of interest to some of the UK based supporters as we are travelling to Holland quite regularly now and you may fancy joining us.

www.ajaxfaversham.com

Cheers,
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.....

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do sep 25, 2014 9:33 am

Cruijff schreef: Yes they have a complete youth academy. Their A1 was mostly filled with big and physically strong looking African guys.
95% of PSG U19 players are French. :aai.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » do sep 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Philippe schreef:
Cruijff schreef: Yes they have a complete youth academy. Their A1 was mostly filled with big and physically strong looking African guys.
95% of PSG U19 players are French. :aai.gif:
Yes so are Nicolas Anelka and Patrick Viera. That they have the French nationality doesn´t make it impossible that they look African. :smile-ajax.gif:
SPL schreef:Back home after 5 wonderful days in Amsterdam ,home to the world's greatest and most important football club.Didn't get to see any football but just went to the Arena to go to the club shop and show my wife the ground. After the crowds in the city we escaped on Sunday afternoon to Volendam and the really beautiful little neighbour Edam. Been to Volendam before and noticed how it has grown in size,but never been to Edam what a magical little place.

Have to say if the British were running Amsterdam the red light district would be closed, drugs made illegal,the canals would be fenced off in case anyone fell in and of course the most dangerous things in the city ,bikes would be banned under Health and Safety.

BUT something very British happened yesterday,the trains to the Airport were not running!

I first came to Amsterdam in 1969 aged 18 and I still love the place its magical ,completely different to anywhere else, and they all speak english!

Now the wife has been again she says I should come over next year on my own to watch football.
Great story! :ajaxsmiley.gif:

Too bad you did not arrive just one day earlier then you could have attended Ajax vs PSG.

Next time better, keep an eye on the football agenda so that we can bring you into Amsterdam Arena or perhaps into a stadium of an opponent for an away game! :biggthumpup.gif:

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr okt 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Folks - I'm finally planing on making my first trip over to Amsterdam (and most likely watch my first Ajax game in person). I was looking at Hotels and Apts/Houses on AirBnB/Homeaway and the following neighbourhoods showed up -
Bijlmer
Canal District
East Amsterdam
Jordaan
North Amsterdam
Old Center
Plantage
South Amsterdam
West Amsterdam

I'm going to stay for 5/6 days and want to get a feel of real Amsterdam and also be close to the touristy places. Any recommendations? I'll have my wife and 18 month old son with me as well, so feel free to send recommendations for things for adults and children to do.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » vr okt 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Cool!

One of the Amsterdam vets or locals might correct me but I've been there several times and as long as you avoid the really central part (say, inside of the Grachtengordel—that ring of three canals you can see on the map) it's hard to go wrong. I find the centre a little too nasty, it's worth having a look during the day time but I wouldn't want to stay there. I've enjoyed staying in de Pijp and Jordaan and also a little further out once. I guess it depends what you're into... and wherever you stay, it's a surprisingly small city and really easy to get around by bike, tram or on foot.

There was an "Amsterdam Tourist Info" thread on here ages ago that you might be able to dredge up, and I think Jim had a google map with some places tagged at one point. I'll throw in a recommendation: if you like riding a bike, last time I was there we got rentals and headed south along the Amstel. You can see windmills and a polder and have coffee and cake in Ouderkerk. It seemed like tourist gold, but we didn't see many other tourists. We stopped at a bakery right next to a hand operated drawbridge and got to watch some guys trying to get a tractor through on a barge, that was pretty amusing...
Laatst gewijzigd door Tom_ op vr okt 17, 2014 7:42 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr okt 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks! Jordaan and De Pijp look far from the city center. Is the city that small? I'm looking at a Starwoods Hotel called The Pulitzer which is actually within the 3 inner canals.

Yes I do remember that thread now. I live in Chelsea in New York City. Get to see my share of 'nasty' here :)

I'm mostly going on the weekend of Nov 20th - so will get to see Ajax - Heerenveen. I hope tickets will be easy to get. I can't remember if you need a club card for this game.

Plaats reactie