Grab Bag Of Random Posts

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Eric

Bericht door Eric » wo feb 09, 2005 8:49 am

Maybe one can pee against the forumwalls to mark its territory?
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 8:54 am

Strange remark Eric! As far as I know none of the former Ajax-usa posters has complained...
I think I lost my fucking headache

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 09, 2005 8:59 am

Lucas schreef:It seems to me that just wait and see what happens is best in this situation. The 'locals' are a big group and so are the former ajaxusa-posters. Inevitably those groups will be influenced by each other, since they're not completely seperated from each other.. It seems to me that it's impossible right now to predict what exactly will happen. I think -and hope- both groups gain from each others customs and habbits...If at any point there will be need for a bigger non-ajaxitems zone in the English section it can be created at that moment.
Yep. Agreed. :xyxthumbs:

For the time being all we can do is ask ALL of the Ajax Talkers very kindly to try and post their non-footie related discussions in:

1. Kleine Café Aan De Haven (Dutch only)
2. Het Debat (Dutch only)
3. the Grab Bag Of Random Posts thread in the English Zone (English only)
4. Het Rommelhok (any subject and, for all I care, any language)

As an additional request, we kindly ask ALL Ajax Talkers to keep in mind that the Dutch part of Ajax Talk has two entire zones for off-topic posting, whereas the English zone only has one thread for it (which is the way we prefer it). Therefore, please consider posting your chatter mainly in the appropriate Dutch zones, for the simple reason that the large part of the English-language community is not really into that kind of thing anyway.

Not an 'order', but a kind request. That's not an unreasonable thing to do, is it?

:bis:

K.
Still alive...

Eric

Bericht door Eric » wo feb 09, 2005 9:02 am

Lucas schreef:Strange remark Eric! As far as I know none of the former Ajax-usa posters has complained...
Actually, I was not refering to 'the Foreigners'... Seems the only people making a fuzz are Dutch...
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 9:08 am

I see! And I agree..

joey
Erelid

Bericht door joey » wo feb 09, 2005 9:30 am

For now, please continue here .
Het stinkt aan alle kanten!

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » wo feb 09, 2005 9:56 am

Mission How-to-piss-off-a-mod.
Objective: Chaos, Panic, Destruction
Mission Status: Failed
Mission terminated. :D
I'M NOT A COMPLETE IDIOT!
...some parts are missing

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo feb 09, 2005 10:10 am

Went to a R.E.M. concert yesterday, and it was great. Better than their previous tour I think. So I would recommend to my Dutch friends to attend their next concert in the Arena. In Leipzig of course. (or later on, London ?).
Sadly their only date in Holland was Rotterdam.
I hope this is not off topic.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 09, 2005 10:13 am

philippe schreef:I hope this is not off topic.
Nothing is off topic in this topic... (except, in a way, Ajax stuff).

I saw R.E.M. play at the Ahoy in Rotterdam last week - and I had a slightly different experience than you. I adored their last tour, and thought it was pretty dull this time. I don't like the last album anyway. But they're always a good live band - that's for sure.

Looking forward to Tuesday: Snoop Dogg at the Heineken Music Hall! That's going to be a blast...

K.
Still alive...

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » wo feb 09, 2005 10:16 am

philippe schreef:Went to a R.E.M. concert yesterday, and it was great. Better than their previous tour I think. So I would recommend to my Dutch friends to attend their next concert in the Arena. In Leipzig of course. (or later on, London ?).
I hope this is not off topic.
If you can get offtopic in the grab bag of random posts you are the man! :D

Saw REM once in Werchter, Belgium. After 2 cancelled concerts in the year before, because of a stroke of the drummer or bassist, I can't remember. He neither.

They were awesome. I know I like their older stuff better than the newer stuff, but still, Michael Stipe has charisma and the band is just great. However, for me REM is music I like to listen to privately. With 50.000 people around you it is sometimes hard to get that 'vibe', one I usually do get at home listening to them.
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 10:17 am

the acoustics in ahoy sucks

raymon
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » wo feb 09, 2005 10:22 am

Lucas schreef:the acoustics in ahoy sucks
That is true after seeing Red Hot Chili Peppers and Melissa Etheridge. Until 1,5 year ago I saw David Bowie and I realised, it is all a matter of skill. That concert was so good, sound-wise, it really struck me. You simply have to put more time and effort in creating the perfect sound.

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 10:29 am

If seen Zappa in ahoy a couple of times. The man was a f*cking perfectionist. It sounded awful in ahoy...everywhere else if seen Zappa play the sound was great..

raymon
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » wo feb 09, 2005 10:37 am

Lucas schreef:If seen Zappa in ahoy a couple of times. The man was a f*cking perfectionist. It sounded awful in ahoy...everywhere else if seen Zappa play the sound was great..
If Zappa was a perfectionist and the sound was still crap.... :D

Maybe Bowie was just a lucky shot. I dunno. I always hated Ahoy for its sound. HMH has a much better acoustics.

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 10:40 am

If I remember well at some point Zappa refused to come to Holland anymore if he had to play in ahoy..

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 09, 2005 11:03 am

I am a music journalist and I see a concert in Ahoy' at least once a month. In most cases the sound is just fine and it all depends on the quality of the equipment and the skill of the sound engineers. The Bowie concert mentioned above is a great example: the sound was a million times better than at the average Paradiso or Melkweg show (small venues with a capacity of approximately 1,000).

Same went for Paul McCartney, U2, Metallica and Bruce Springsteen at the Gelredome (Vitesse stadium, capacity 30,000): sound was perfect.

Really - it's all a matter of sound engineering. Buy quality equipment and hire quality people - and you're okay.

K.
Still alive...

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 11:06 am

Interesting. Does that mean you think Zappa wasn't a perfectionist or that he didn't have the skills? Or you don't agree with me that the Zappa concerts in ahoy had a lousy sound?

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » wo feb 09, 2005 11:19 am

Paul McCarthy was the main reason for me to miss the second half of the superbowl this year.
:blush: I fell asleep during the half time show. :blush:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 09, 2005 11:24 am

Lucas schreef:Interesting. Does that mean you think Zappa wasn't a perfectionist or that he didn't have the skills? Or you don't agree with me that the Zappa concerts in ahoy had a lousy sound?
I think the crucial factor are the developments in the technical quality of P.A. systems, amplifiers and speakers. The quality of equipment has made an enormous leap forward in the past fifteen years (since 1990 or so).

Someone explained it to me once: from the 1960s until 1990 amplifiers and speakers became more powerful and they got a better sound and all that, but one thing remained the same: once the sound leaves the speaker it starts travelling into all directions. It gets blown everywhere by the wind and for that reason it was almost impossible to create a good sound in a sports arena or a football stadium.

Today, there are speakers that basically blast straight forward - and the 'bundle' of sound will stay 'compact', almost like a laserbeam. This type of sound hardly gets distorted by the wind. An enormous technical improvement. The guy I interviewed said: there have been arena and stadium rock shows since 1964, but in a way we didn't invent the appropriate equipment for until 25 years later.

I am sure a Frank Zappa show at the Ahoy today, would have sounded magnificent (never seen him live; would have loved to... Are you into Beefheart and krautrock also? Like Can and stuff?)

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo feb 09, 2005 11:31 am

Raymon schreef: They were awesome. I know I like their older stuff better than the newer stuff, but still, Michael Stipe has charisma and the band is just great. However, for me REM is music I like to listen to privately. With 50.000 people around you it is sometimes hard to get that 'vibe', one I usually do get at home listening to them.
I felt the same way, and the first time I went to one of their concerts, about 6 years ago, I found it disappointing for this reason (fortunately the first part was with Patti Smith, an so it was a memorable evening though). But for this year’s tour, I found that they managed to create a special atmosphere, which is not easy in a 20.000 indoor stadium.

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 11:41 am

What a nice and decent way to tell me I'm getting old!! X'C ;)

I'm wild about the captain!!
Krautrock I don't have...I do know can and other bands form my brothers and sisters (being the youngest of 7), but it's too long ago to remember if i liked it...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo feb 09, 2005 12:01 pm

Lucas schreef:What a nice and decent way to tell me I'm getting old!!
Now that you bring it up... You're a flippin' old fart, aren't you? :headbang: (says the man who feels quite old himself these days, as I will be turning 30 next Tuesday... :sad: )
Krautrock I don't have...I do know can and other bands form my brothers and sisters (being the youngest of 7), but it's too long ago to remember if i liked it...
Give it another try. They were pretty outrageous. EMI just released four very nice, remastered re-issues of their first four albums. Their style hasn't fully developed yet on the first one (Monster Movie), but I think the average Zappa fan will appreciate the following three: Soundtracks (these are, in fact, soundtracks they made for a number of short films), Tago Mago and Egg Bamyasi.

Last year I saw the legendary Holger Czukay live at the Music In My Head festival in The Hague. He was Can's bass player and 'nutty professor' on electronic equipment. He looks a bit like the Doc from the Back To The Future movies.

K.
Still alive...

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » wo feb 09, 2005 12:06 pm

Youngster!

Thx, I will give it a try and report to you if your idea (although of course I wouldn't dare present myself as representative of all Zappa fans) about Zappa fans liking these songs is correct...

Holger Czukay is a familiar name..didn't he have a solocarreer?
Laatst gewijzigd door LucaS op wo feb 09, 2005 3:24 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo feb 09, 2005 3:05 pm

Dr. Living Stoned schreef:Paul McCarthy was the main reason for me to miss the second half of the superbowl this year.
:blush: I fell asleep during the half time show. :blush:
I'm impressed that you made it as far as halftime. :worshippy: I don't dislike American football, but the super bowl is almost always CRAP!

And as if the game weren't boring enough, Paul McMediocre as halftime entertainment. :kloguck:

I'm curious though... what did his nipple ring look like? ;)

Dr. Living Stoned
Founding Father

Bericht door Dr. Living Stoned » wo feb 09, 2005 3:22 pm

well some were nice, the titans just one yard short for overtime or even victory. The patriots beating the rams by a field goal with just seconds to go.

American Football is so much more entertaining than a damn soccer match, if sunday's game [ajax-twente] was played the same time as the superbowl i would fall much earlier asleep.

Did anyone taped this game [without Paul McCarthy :eusa_pray: ] on VHS?

Plaats reactie