Ajax Directors, Board, Staff

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » do aug 24, 2006 11:19 am

Philippe

welcome back, was wondering how long it would take before you posted again.

No, I am not happy with what occurred last night but what I am going to say and I know that you will not agree with is that I too have a lot more faith in the current management that I do in Danny Blind's stewardship.

Are you trying to tell me that Ajax under Danny Blinds stewardship were actually a successful attractive side to watch. Again, I will disagree. We finished 4th last year in the Eredivisie, yes, 4th irrespective of whether we got into the CL qualifiers through the ridiculous play-off system. The football on display in the ArenA for most of last season was not off an acceptable standard to the majority of Ajax supporters and something had to be changed. We had a number of painfull defeats both home and away in the Eredivisie, defeats which a club of Ajax’s stature should not have. You state that we won every crucial game under Blind’s stewardship – no we most certainly did not. That is why we finished 4th in the league because we lost a lost of crucial games. We won the Gatorade Cup, not because of Blind’s brilliant tactics but because of one man – Huntelaar. It was he who equalised against Roda in the 4th minute of injury time and scored the two goals in the final – nothing to do with the tactics of Danny Blind.

Now you bring up the subject of the Amsterdam tournament, are you seriously saying that this tournament should be judged as a marker in our progress. It was a pre-season friendly tournament for goodness sake. And if you use that as a marker for anyone’s progress then I pity the standards that you must set.

You also mention the JC Shield – well have to say that we won that more convincingly this year than last year – their that is a sign of progress then, if you wish to be pedantic.

Last nights defeat was very painful to watch and take and is going to cost the club a lot of money. I am not happy with it but I am most certainly not going to call for someone’s head after 4 proper competitive games in charge.

Blind is gone, get over it please and if you really have Ajax at heart you will give the new management a chance and support the players.

And to phrase yourself “If you are happy with what you have seen, good for you” – well if you were happy last season and like what you saw then good for you too. The majority of us were not.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do aug 24, 2006 11:51 am

As for last year's end, I really enjoyed the play-offs games (feyen@rd home and away), and the cup final (psv). And hope we will get more games like those this season.

Anyway, Blind or not Blind, the CL elimination is a very severe blow.

Just remember the ridiculous and "pedantic " Ajax official statement at the end of last season of what we should aim at to be called succesful.

We are far from what was expected. Of course, I hope we have success in the UEFA cup, and in the league. But if we play like we did yesterday, I very much doubt we will get anywhere.
Appie, stay strong !

Henk de Gier
Contacteer:

Bericht door Henk de Gier » do aug 24, 2006 12:10 pm

philippe schreef:
If you are happy with what you have seen, good for you.

Bottom line.
I'm not happy with the result, but I (and almost everybody else) saw progress, and that's something I haven't seen for long at Ajax. I'm happy about that.
Henk de Gier is geniaal en zijn tijd ver vooruit.
Jöhnk, 29 mei 2006

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di nov 07, 2006 9:01 am

Afbeelding

;)

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » wo dec 06, 2006 11:23 am

After the end of this season, a new main scout will be Fred Arroyo. He replaces T. Pronk.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » ma jan 08, 2007 9:25 pm

our firend Jaakke seems to have made a strange speech yesterday mentionning the 4-3-3 system as not compulsory for Ajax or something : could our Dutch friends tell us more about the new theory of our genius ?
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 09, 2007 6:04 am

philippe schreef:our firend Jaakke seems to have made a strange speech yesterday mentionning the 4-3-3 system as not compulsory for Ajax or something : could our Dutch friends tell us more about the new theory of our genius ?
Oh, not much of a big deal... It was the annual New Year's speech of the chairman, during the traditional New Year's reception at De Toekomst. Jaakke's speech was very nice (well written, I must say as a writer), but the points he made sounded more spectacular to outsiders than they actually were. The three main points, summarized...

1. In every major company it is totally normal and generally accepted that people who are under pressure and are constantly expected to deliver on the highest level have 'mental coaches' or regular session with a psychologist. In football, this is still a taboo (a footballer seeing a shrink is still regarded as a bit of a basket case, to put it bluntly). This must change. Ajax have always been innovative and Jaakke also wants Ajax to be innovative when it comes to the 'mental development' of players, from youth section to first team.
(Is this new? No, it's not. Ajax's former team doctor, Mr. Piet Bon, has been working as the 'team shrink' for quite a long time. All that's going to happen is that Ajax are likely to hire more psychologists and focus on this aspect a bit more - but new? Absolutely not.)

2. Ajax want to play offensive football, but the 4-3-3 system is not 'holy', especially in times when the club - for some reason - fail to develop traditional wingers.
(Is this new? No, it's not. Louis van Gaal sometimes reverted to 4-4-2, Co Adriaanse invented the 'Berlin Wall', Ronald Koeman did not believe in 4-3-3 and Danny Blind as well as Henk ten Cate have fielded 4-4-2 formations. Absolutely not new. Every Ajax coach has always had this freedom - thank God.)

3. Ajax should not always believe that all the required knowhow can be found within the club or the 'Ajax family'. That is conservative thinking. Ajax want to be innovative and should always look for useful ideas and useful people from 'outside the world that we consider to be our world'.
(Is this new? No, it's not. Ajax have a pretty long tradition of managers from outside of the world of football. Michael van Praag was the son of the great Jaap van Praag, but had hardly ever been to a football game when he became chairman. Arie van Os was a business man. In the current club structure John Jaakke - a lawyer - and Maarten Fontein - a former big shot of Unilever - are people without an Ajax background.)

So - what can you say? Martin van Geel summarized it nicely. He said on TV: "We didn't hear anything new and it would have been a bit strange if we had. I'm glad the chairman didn't totally surprise his own board members and directors. The points he made are things we've been working on for many months and in some cases he simply underscored a few things that followers of Ajax have always known."

That's exactly it.

K.
Still alive...

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » di jan 09, 2007 9:53 am

Kowalczyk schreef:2. Ajax want to play offensive football, but the 4-3-3 system is not 'holy', especially in times when the club - for some reason - fail to develop traditional wingers.
(Is this new? No, it's not. Louis van Gaal sometimes reverted to 4-4-2, Co Adriaanse invented the 'Berlin Wall', Ronald Koeman did not believe in 4-3-3 and Danny Blind as well as Henk ten Cate have fielded 4-4-2 formations. Absolutely not new. Every Ajax coach has always had this freedom - thank God.)
K.
You are right in what you say. But there is a major difference. Until recently Ajaxfans did not accept from any trainer if they played more defensive (442, which is of course not persé less offensive than a 433). This has changed, so a very important influence on maintaining playing with a left- and rightwinger is gone. On short term it is easier to play 442. It might be the road to the end of trying to dominate in our 'own' specific playing style. That would be a shame and in my opinion a goodbye to our regular visits to the European top!
I think I lost my fucking headache

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di jan 09, 2007 10:30 am

Lucas schreef:...On short term it is easier to play 442. It might be the road to the end of trying to dominate in our 'own' specific playing style. That would be a shame and in my opinion a goodbye to our regular visits to the European top!
Was that supposed to say to our regular "short" visits to the European top!??? ;)

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 09, 2007 10:32 am

You might be right, but I don't necessarily agree.

To me Ajax is not 'the club of 4-3-3'. My definition is a little bit wider: Ajax believe in creating chances from the wings and there are many different ways to use the space on the wings. Around 1990, Ajax sometimes played in a 4-4-2 with Van 't Schip and Robbie Witschge as the two outer midfielders, and Pettersson and Bergkamp upfront. In practice, you could hardly see the difference with a 4-3-3. There were two wingers (although they were officially 'outer midfielders') and whether Bergkamp was a second striker or a 'number 10' who was constantly upfront... It hardly mattered.

As I've said before (and you are not denying this, I know!): 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 5-4-1 and what have you are only formations and they say absolutely nothing about playing offensively or defensively. Valery Lobanovski's Dinamo Kiev played in a 4-5-1, but it was a spectacularly fast and entertaining team. One touch football... Amazing. Heerenveen, for example, play in a 4-3-3, but are essentially a patient, rather defensive and counter-attacking side (just like Ajax, last season, by the way). So who cares?

And now for my last and most important point...

Ajax have had this '4-3-3 mantra' for as long as I can remember. I would think that the reason why Ajax believe so firmly in 4-3-3, is that they feel that this formation gives you the best chance of beating an opponent. It's supposed to be a mighty weapon, but in the past ten years it's been mainly used as an excuse: the moral obligation to play in a 4-3-3 has been used as an explanation why youngsters make so many mistakes, why foreign purchases always seem to have a very difficult start and why the team is so vulnerable and inconsistent.

That is totally bizarre to me. If our 'mighty weapon' is, in practice, more of a burden that makes us vulnerable, then what's the point? If Ajax no longer genuinely believe that the best (perhaps only) way to beat an opponent is a 4-3-3 formation, then they should drop it and think of something else. It wouldn't be the first time in Ajax history (the club's tactics have been redefined a few times in the past; Ajax have not played in a 4-3-3 from 1900 to 2007).

Ajax will always play offensively - and they will always use the space on the flanks. The formation as such must not become a millstone around the club's neck. That would be ridiculous.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 09, 2007 10:42 am

In addition to that...

One of the main reasons why it might be time to re-consider a few things, is the fact that Ajax's major triumphs in the past were always booked by teams that had been together for five years or (much) longer.

4-3-3 is tactically difficult system to play, especially if you want to play offensively, too. Ajax teams need to mature a little, until the system is perfectionized.

The reality in modern football, however, is that you will have a crop of players in Amsterdam for three years - and not longer. So perhaps it's time to be a little bit more practical about it, and find a way to be more succesful (or at least more solid and less vulnerable) now.

"These boys are all 19 now, but they'll be great at 25. This crop can win the Champions League."

"Yeah right, but they'll all be gone by the age of 23, so let's think of something that works now."

I don't think that's un unfair point...

K.
Still alive...

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » di jan 09, 2007 11:10 am

I totally agree with you that one can play beautiful in other formations than 433. Lobanovski's Dynamo Kiev was one of the most attractive teams I have ever seen playing football. However, the fact that I think Ajax has to play with wingers has nothing to do with playing attractive or not, I firmly believe that the only change to beat European topclubs and win the CL is when we try to beat them by our playing style. We have to make teams adjust to us instead of the other way around. We can't beat those teams by trying to beat them with their own weapons. They have the better players, so it should be the team and tactics that win the games for us on this level.

You might be right that teams have to play a long time together to reach a perfect execution of a 433. And you might be right that when it's not perfectly executed it is more like a burden than a blessing for the players. It means Ajax throughout the years will get more 4's and 9's for a season than every year a 6 or 7. Personnally I prefer high tops and take the shit seasons for granted (shit in this case very relative; real shit seasons are something of this century. Before that Ajax played attractive and entertaining, no matter what at the end the results were).

Our international successes, however not too long lasting, were reached by teams consisting of a great deal of 'own' players. It is not true that you only have a short time to build a team. A lot of players of our selection played for Ajax for 5-6-7 or even more years. It doesn't necesarily mean the youthdepartement is perfect; there is a problem in the youth education. Ajax should be able to educate wingers! Beside that the scouting is simply not good enough. We don't find the/enough players that fit in with the way we play. Of course there are wingers on the fields, we just should have the nerve to buy them. Jenner should have been bought, Bouaouzan should have been bought. Leonardo should have been bought earlier.
I think I lost my fucking headache

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » di jan 09, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks a lot for the information, Ko.
However, I am not sure this is meant to be as unimportant as you say.
First, I thought that Jaakke did not know a thing about football, and made no decision about such matters.
Second, this kind of speech generally is generally in an understatement style.
Therefore when he says 4-3-3 is "not holy", it could mean "I hate it".
Anyhow, as for me 4-3-3 is the definition of the Ajax style when at its best.
Appie, stay strong !

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » vr jan 12, 2007 9:53 am

Ajax director Maarten Fontein said in the interview for De Volkskrant that he will quit if Ajax won't win the Eredivisie this or the next year. Fortein said that his 'future plan' for Ajax is that we have to be the best in Eredivisie at least once for a 2 years.

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » za feb 24, 2007 11:48 pm

I've just read that HFC Haarlem are looking for a new manager and they would like to employ van den Brom from Ajax. They want him to start the work on summer.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo apr 11, 2007 8:04 am

Hans van der Zee (P$V Headscout) has left the club with immediate effect (he's "on holiday"). The Amsterdamer informed the club he would be moving to Ajax next season and was therefore asked to leave.

Given P$V's success in the transfer market in recent years this seems like good news...although the lightbulbs seem to look for different qualities in a player to fit in their system of play vis-à-vis Ajax.....

Still, it won't help the general atmosphere in Eindhoven you would think....
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 11, 2007 8:15 am

PSV are moaning about the fact that Ajax landed their scout. They are 'not amused' by Ajax's business in this case.

That is total bollocks. For starters, Hans van der Zee is an Ajax man (he played for Ajax youth teams in all age categories) and secondly, his contract at PSV will expire this summer and it was in an earlier stage that he refused to extend. Ajax didn't lure him away; Van der Zee was essentially unemployed and looking for a new challenge. That challenge is Ajax, his 'first love'. The man would have left PSV anyway this summer.

Frustrated twats... How many Ajax players did PSV lure to Eindhoven in dodgy ways back in the day, when they were still the richest club of the two? Ajax contracting Hans van der Zee is not 'dirtier' than PSV landing Ronald Koeman, Jan Wouters and Ton Bruins Slot, their coaching staff.

Sometimes people will leave and find themselves something new. Gimme a break.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 11, 2007 9:32 am

A while ago, Ajax's director of youth academy John van den Brom announced that he will leave the club at the end of the season. Van den Brom says this has to do with his coaching ambitions: he wants to coach the first team of a professional club. According to rumours, however, Ajax are not 100% satisfied with his work as boss of De Toekomst.

We'll never know, probably.

Fact is that AT5 Text reports today that Van den Brom will become head-coach of First Division side AGOVV Apeldoorn next season. He is said to have agreed to the terms of a contract until 2009.

For the record: there will be a few changes in the Ajax staff...

Van den Brom will leave as director of youth system. A successor has not been found yet.

Adrie Koster (formerly head-coach of RKC Waalwijk) has been signed as the new head-coach of Young Ajax. He will coach the second team with Aron Winter.

Ton Pronk, head of scouting, will retire at season's end. Hans van der Zee is, more or less, his sucessor, although he will not be head of scouting. That is Fred Arroyo. Van der Zee and Gerrie Mühren complete the scouting team.

More news when it happens!

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

News Report

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Better late than never, as they say... You might still enjoy this:

http://www.ajax-usa.com/news/2006-2007/ ... komst.html

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo apr 25, 2007 5:07 pm

By the way: I think Ajax landed three quality men here... Especially Olde Riekerink as director of youth development... I couldn't think of a better guy.

K.
Still alive...

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » wo apr 25, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah, and I also like very much the signing of Van der Zee... Hopefully, there will be less guys like Alex, Farfan and co at PSV.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » do jul 12, 2007 1:25 am

dws schreef:
Cedric_AeF schreef:D : It's not that simple...

Even with his "goal drought" and with Perez on the bench, Ajax have still the best attack of the whole country and Western Europe...
Conclusion : you can blame Ten Cate for a lot of thing, but criticizing him because of this or the "case Perez" is a bit unfair imho. It's definitely not the worst thing he did.
Who the hell else was to blame for Ajax being seemingly incapable of creating goal scoring chances for Huntelaar (the self same Huntelaar who couldn't stop scoring goals for the much maligned Blind) in the first half of last season? Who picked the team and who devised the tactics?

Who had the brilliant idea of playing a left winger who can't cross the frigging ball?

Who compounded this stupidity by focusing his attack on a midfield in which only one player(Sneijder) showed a capacity to put the ball in the bloody net?

Who engineered our early exit from the Champions League?

Who devised our wonderful tactics for that miserable and embarrassing night in Bremen?

And who told Perez it would be business as usual if he remained at Ajax?

But hey, nothing is ever Henk's fault ...
If you read me again, you will notice that I never said that Ten Cate did nothing wrong. There is a middle between this and putting all the blame on him. But if you only look at the negative facts without even considering the situation, then, of course, it looks like Ten Cate is the worst coach Ajax ever had.

Btw, try to answer each of your questions with at least the 3 previous coaches. You'll see some interesting trends...
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

dws

Bericht door dws » do jul 12, 2007 2:12 am

Cedric_AeF schreef:
dws schreef:
Cedric_AeF schreef:D : It's not that simple...

Even with his "goal drought" and with Perez on the bench, Ajax have still the best attack of the whole country and Western Europe...
Conclusion : you can blame Ten Cate for a lot of thing, but criticizing him because of this or the "case Perez" is a bit unfair imho. It's definitely not the worst thing he did.
Who the hell else was to blame for Ajax being seemingly incapable of creating goal scoring chances for Huntelaar (the self same Huntelaar who couldn't stop scoring goals for the much maligned Blind) in the first half of last season? Who picked the team and who devised the tactics?

Who had the brilliant idea of playing a left winger who can't cross the frigging ball?

Who compounded this stupidity by focusing his attack on a midfield in which only one player(Sneijder) showed a capacity to put the ball in the bloody net?

Who engineered our early exit from the Champions League?

Who devised our wonderful tactics for that miserable and embarrassing night in Bremen?

And who told Perez it would be business as usual if he remained at Ajax?

But hey, nothing is ever Henk's fault ...
If you read me again, you will notice that I never said that Ten Cate did nothing wrong. There is a middle between this and putting all the blame on him. But if you only look at the negative facts without even considering the situation, then, of course, it looks like Ten Cate is the worst coach Ajax ever had.

Btw, try to answer each of your questions with at least the 3 previous coaches. You'll see some interesting trends...
I did read you again and made the necessary changes , but while I was busy editing my post you replied in another thread. Anyway, it doesn't matter - Perez is gone and ten Cate remains.

ps: i'll get round to fully replying to the final part of your post in the morning ... time for bed.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do aug 30, 2007 8:43 am

Since van Praag left, Ajax have fallen in the Dark Ages of European football.

How about this for a coincidence ? :antlers.gif:
Appie, stay strong !

orange goblin
Contacteer:

Bericht door orange goblin » do aug 30, 2007 9:13 am

In this case I have to defend mister ten cate. ok, maybe he is not a top coach, but:
his henk's fault if players miss so many chances?
his henk's fault if slavia goalkeeper took everything last night?
his henk's fault if emanuelson is phisically unpresentable and cost us 2 goals in the two matches?
his henk's fault if vermaelen after years is failing decisive moments?
his henk's fault if he had no options in midfield? think to edgar absurd injury
his henk's fault if so many players players tend to see ajax as a step and not as "their" club?
there are two key-characters in this "tragedy": first the players, that have failed ALL decisive games (willem II is maybe worse than the 2 CL games, cause at least our opponents in Europe were struggling for the same goal: the tillburgers not!).
and the board, that in these years has been unable to recreate the ajax mentality. anyway I save van geel. I have the feeling he knows all these things
O tempora o mores

Plaats reactie