Ajax Coaches

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Eric

Bericht door Eric » di mar 01, 2005 9:29 am

I guess that would make it factual enough :D
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » di mar 01, 2005 9:32 am

But if you want Gossip: Blind was when van Eijden was chairman and Beenhakker TD absolutely not a candidate to become headcoach. The deal with Blind was made by van Gaal. Van Eijden however is not a fan of Danny Blind, so now van Gaal is gone he wants to get rid of this deal and now sees his chance to do so. But of course, this is gossip...
I think I lost my fucking headache

Eric

Bericht door Eric » di mar 01, 2005 9:38 am

now we're talking :yes:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 01, 2005 9:53 am

Yeah... Van Eijden is an unreliable, cheating wanker. But in this case he and I do agree: Danny Blind is not the man we're looking for. They shouldn't have promised him anything in the first place. You can never do that. You never know what the situation will be like when a new coach is needed.

Typical Van Eijden. Always watch your back when he's around.

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » di mar 01, 2005 11:10 am

I think whoever we get needs to be in place right NOW, not at the end of the season.

Two reasons:
1) The team is screwed up big time....this will take time to fix, and after the summer break I don't believe there is enough time to sort this out for the new campaign.
2) If there are serious doubts about the temporary coaching staff...Krol et al, then we are significantly risking our chance of getting second spot and Champions League football next year, which will lead to further financial restraints for the immediate future.

If waiting got us a top level proven manager (a Johan C. or a Guus H. to show the level I mean), that would be one thing...but waiting for a manager who's only been an assistant or smaller club manager is a different story.

How will it play out?

The temporary staff will stay incharge for now, we'll beat ADO but go out later in the cup against a bigger team, we'll draw with AZ (at best), end up third, and then we will have a new unproven (at major league level) coach in the summer, who'll need a year to 'rebuild', leaving us in the post season play-off lotery that the league is introducing next season. Oh and Van Eijden will shrug his shoulders and say it's not his fault.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » di mar 01, 2005 11:23 am

This is what Ten Cate said according to Sky sports...

"Ten Cate claimed he still had many objectives to achieve in Spain, adding: "Frank and I arrived at Barcelona two years ago and this season we can gain the first fruits of our labours in the form of titles.

"We are fighting hard to achieve that and I believe at the end of the season we will get rewarded for our work.

"I want to go with Barca to Sant Jaume (the club's new training complex) and for that reason I want to stay here. Therefore everyone can be certain.

"What's more, my family love living here. That is another reason to carry on because their opinion counts a lot."

Now I don't know about you guys, but that sounds like a 'No' to me.

Jol was interviewed for the Manchester United assistant job, but Fergerson didn't like him, or the answers he gave. So he was not in line for that job. I don't think Jol is looking to return to N.L. - I think this whole thing is just about Jol trying to pressurise Spurs into giving him a better deal.

Derksen says that Laudrup is being possibly lined up for the T.D. job, rather than the first-team coaching position. Now that's interesting, who would Michael Laudrup want as his first-team coach do you think? Who do we know, who is close to Michael, knows about football, and has first-hand experience of the Ajax system?

Mmmm?

bryan

Bericht door bryan » di mar 01, 2005 12:08 pm

We can only hope it's Mr. Olsen.

Or perhaps his brother. But does he have any coaching experience?

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » di mar 01, 2005 12:12 pm

His brother was what I was thinking.

[EDIT: Oooh, doesn't look good: "...He now turns out for a Danish seventh division side whilst running a successful wine business."]

Oh well, it was a thought.
Laatst gewijzigd door The Purple Cow op di mar 01, 2005 12:20 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Eric

Bericht door Eric » di mar 01, 2005 12:13 pm

By now the Dutch press has picked up several soundbytes of Ten Cate and Jol concerning the vacancy at Ajax. Jol seems most conclusive in saying no, Ten Cate is keeping the options open, but at this time a no seems the most likely answer he would give Ajax.

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » di mar 01, 2005 6:16 pm

So now Jol has also definitively said no...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 304933.stm

Now that leaves Laudrup and Blind, unless anyone can think of anything else.

Eric

Bericht door Eric » di mar 01, 2005 6:18 pm

Wel, I wouldn't rule out Ten Cate completely yet.
But quite frankly, I never considered Jol to be a serious contender.

cdnajaxfan

Bericht door cdnajaxfan » di mar 01, 2005 10:09 pm

Jol will stay at Tottenham, Ten Cate will stay at Barca with Rikkard (another one of our possibilies) until the "honeymoon" is over. This is Ten Cate's only chance cause I think we will get Marco back in the near future and he will be the next Ajax Coach after this one. Co will stay with AZ and Hiddink will stay with PSV. I agree that Blind is not the man for the job at the moment. However, I think that we may get stuck with him. I don't see any other options right now.

Help me Johan Cryuff, your my only hope!

Apostata
Contacteer:

Bericht door Apostata » di mar 01, 2005 10:43 pm

cdnajaxfan schreef: This is Ten Cate's only chance cause I think we will get Marco back in the near future and he will be the next Ajax Coach after this one.
v.Basten is the national coach (!), and apart from the yawner with England he's staying until WC'06...unless there's something you know that I don't ?

cdnajaxfan

I no nothing!

Bericht door cdnajaxfan » wo mar 02, 2005 3:01 am

Apostata schreef:
cdnajaxfan schreef: This is Ten Cate's only chance cause I think we will get Marco back in the near future and he will be the next Ajax Coach after this one.
v.Basten is the national coach (!), and apart from the yawner with England he's staying until WC'06...unless there's something you know that I don't ?
I no nothing! I am sure that Ajax made some sort of arrangement for Marco to come back. After the World Cup, who knows? He may stay on for the next Euro but that would be it. Maybe the next coach could last 4 years (let's hope because that would mean they were sucessful!) and then Marco could be the coach. I would almost be willing to bet that Marco coaches the first team within the next 5 years. I think that Ten Cate wants to keep the door open in the future but maybe Rikkard would be available by then?

Apostata
Contacteer:

Bericht door Apostata » wo mar 02, 2005 4:46 am

On another note, I wonder how quickly Ajaxtalk's membership increased since the Koeman resignation? (!)

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo mar 02, 2005 6:10 am

I hear Ranieri is unemployed.KIDDING!!! Only kidding! I can see it now, Ruud Krol has success . The Ajax Bored then think they're such great tactical geniuses that they sign him to a 2-1/2 year deal.I want Ajax to do well between now and May ,but how I wish the almighty Chairman and Bored of Defectives would be deported .

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 02, 2005 9:14 am

As Eric said: I wouldn't rule out Ten Cate just yet...

As for Jol: okay, so he's not gonna do it, but it sounds like the whole Jol option was created by the press in the first place. The press wrote it, then his agent said that Jol was up for it - but at the same time he had to admit that there never was contact. Jol himself also said that he never received a call.

Interesting detail: Johan Cruyff serves as an 'unofficial and independent consultant/oracle' for both Ajax and Barcelona. Which means that he has a rather strange role in the Ten Cate thing.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Michael Laudrup

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 02, 2005 9:42 am

Okay - the Laudrup story has made it to the Danish press now.

It started in Holland where de Volkskrant claimed he was a candidate for the head-coach job. Johan Derksen claimed on TV that Ajax targeted him for the position of TD. Reportedly, Johan Cruyff recommended Laudrup to Ajax.

And now there's this article (in Danish):
http://www.dr.dk/sporten/fodbold/intfod ... eID=237822

Laudrup says that he's flattered that someone like Johan Cruyff thinks he's competent. However, he adds that he will focus on his club, Brøndby, for now. Which, if you ask me, must not be regarded as a 'no'. What else could he say when he was confronted with these rumours, without having been in touch with anyone?

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo mar 02, 2005 9:52 am

Kowalczyk schreef:As Eric said: I wouldn't rule out Ten Cate just yet...

As for Jol: okay, so he's not gonna do it, but it sounds like the whole Jol option was created by the press in the first place. The press wrote it, then his agent said that Jol was up for it - but at the same time he had to admit that there never was contact. Jol himself also said that he never received a call.
K.
FootballUnlimited today.......

Ajax to make a move for Jol

Jon Brodkin
Wednesday March 2, 2005
The Guardian

Ajax are stepping up their efforts to lure Martin Jol. The Dutch champions said they will speak to their shortlisted candidates this week and, though they did not name the Tottenham head coach, he is known to be their first choice.
Jol said yesterday that he was "very happy" and "fully committed" to Tottenham but Ajax have not given up hope of taking the former Dutch international from Spurs, where he has been in charge for less than four months.

Ajax want him to succeed Ronald Koeman, who resigned last week after they went out of the Uefa Cup to Auxerre. They are so keen to get Jol that they are willing to abandon their traditional structure of head coach and technical director and give him wide control of affairs, similar to that which he enjoyed during a successful spell at RKC Waalwijk.

"We haven't spoken to any of our candidates but we will do it this week, definitely," said Ajax's general manager Arie van Eijden, who recognises the excellent work Jol did at Roda JC Kerkrade and Waalwijk, where he won Dutch coach-of-the-year awards in successive seasons.

Ajax would like to bring in Jol immediately but might be willing to wait until the summer for the 49-year-old, with their temporary coaching team of Ruud Krol and Tonny Bruins Slot remaining in charge and Danny Blind possibly helping from the academy.

Ajax's interest is likely to push Tottenham into speeding up the renegotiation of Jol's contract. He got a pay rise after succeeding Jacques Santini in early November but further talks were planned after Jol's positive start. His contract has two further seasons to run and Spurs would demand significant compensation if he departs.

"I'm not in discussions with anyone else at this stage," Jol said yesterday. "I don't want to go elsewhere. As I have said before, I want to bring success back to this great club."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably just press speculation as there isn't a single confirmation from Jol.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do mar 03, 2005 8:35 am

From the Telegraph.....

Ajax renovation plans to go ahead without Jol
By Mihir Bose (Filed: 03/03/2005)

Martin Jol is not about to quit as Tottenham's head coach to join Dutch side Ajax. Speculation has been mounting, particularly in the British media, that Jol will take over after Ronald Koeman resigned as head coach at the weekend.

The story was given extra credence because of the terms of Jol's contract at Spurs, which has a clause stating that should a top Dutch team come in for him, he should be allowed to speak to the club. The clause was put in when Jol was given a three-year contract as assistant coach to Jacques Santini at the beginning of the season. The contract was revised but, I understand, the clause not removed when he took over from Santini in November with his salary going up to £1 million.

Exit stage right: Martin Jol's contract with Tottenham allows him to talk to Dutch clubs

Jol's agent, Meno Riola, the Italian based in Holland who also looks after Zinedine Zidane and several other high-profile footballers, is making the most of this clause as he plays a poker game with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy over Jol's contract negotiations. These negotiations have been going on for about six weeks.

However, well-informed Dutch sources have told me there is no substance to such stories. Most of them, I understand, have been put about by Riola as a means of extracting better terms from Levy for his client.

Indeed, Ajax are not likely to make a move for a new head coach to replace Koeman until they have consulted their great seer, Johan Cruyff. Ajax general director Arie van Eijden is due to go to Barcelona to meet Cruyff and until that meeting takes place nothing will be decided.

One reliable source said: "You cannot underestimate the influence of Cruyff on Ajax. He is the kingmaker and no decision Van Eijden takes could work unless it has Cruyff's approval."

Ajax do not have just a head coach vacancy to fill. They are in such a state of disarray that they have to rebuild their entire coaching structure. This season has seen a series of unexpected departures and disagreements: First Marco van Basten left as youth coach to manage the national team; then in the autumn Louis van Gaal, the technical director, left. He could not work with Koeman and felt the Ajax management backed Koeman. Then came last week's departure of Koeman.

Ajax's first job will be to find a technical director. In the continental system it is the appointment of the technical director that is crucial.

I understand that the job of head coach has already been verbally promised to Danny Blind, the head of development at the club who, as former Ajax captain, led them to their UEFA Cup triumph in 1992 and was part of the 1995 Champions League final victory over Milan.

Even before the British reports about Ajax's interest in Jol surfaced, Levy was energetically wooing his manager. A few weeks ago, as Jol celebrated his 49th birthday, he discovered a Porsche being driven up to his front door. It was a birthday present from the chairman and a thank you for the progress he had made at the club.

Yesterday Levy held a Tottenham board meeting, although I understand this was more to do with Tottenham's interim results, which are due soon.

Jol, who has impressed with his straight talking, has, I understand, been quite calm about the whole thing. At the weekend he spoke to friends in Holland, but not about Ajax. He was expressing his delight at the success of Edson, Tottenham's Portuguese player who is on loan with Jol's old club, Ado den Haag - and scoring goals for them.

While Ajax do appoint head coaches who have not played for the club, they prefer to have former players. Though Jol is a highly regarded Dutch coach, having had success with RKC Waalwijk, he never played for Ajax. This may count against him when Cruyff makes his important recommendation.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr mar 04, 2005 8:42 am

FootballUnlimited.com:

Jol will resist Ajax, says Arnesen

Jon Brodkin
Friday March 4, 2005
The Guardian

Tottenham's sporting director Frank Arnesen is certain Martin Jol will spurn Ajax's advances to remain as head coach at White Hart Lane.
The Dutch champions have privately let it be known that they were due to meet the 49-year-old yesterday. Ajax sources said the meeting was cancelled because bad weather affected flights but the club hopes to reschedule it quickly.

Ajax will not take a final decision on who to turn to until after they have consulted Johan Cruyff on Tuesday, but Jol is the preferred candidate to replace Ronald Koeman.

Tottenham will trust that any talks Jol has with Ajax are out of courtesy rather than because he is ready to leave the club after four months in charge. He has said that he is "very happy" at Spurs and does not want to go anywhere else. Arnesen acknowledged Ajax's attraction to a Dutchman, but is convinced Jol will stay.
"He is a human being and will take his own decisions," Arnesen said, "but I am very comfortable and we speak on a daily basis about everything. It is between me and him. The only thing you can say is that I am very comfortable and I am sure that he will stay."

Jol seems certain to be offered a pay rise. "We have to make sure that our people are happy here and make sure that we are progressing," Arnesen said. "That is what we are doing and that is what made me confident that he will be here next year as well."

Speaking at the launch of the club's child protection policy, he referred to his confidence in Jol "not only as a coach but also as a man-manager". "He was the right man in the right spot for us," he added, "and is proving that on a weekly basis."

The Purple Cow
Contacteer:

Bericht door The Purple Cow » vr mar 04, 2005 10:33 am

"Ajax general director Arie van Eijden is due to go to Barcelona to meet Cruyff..."

So they don't have telephones in Barcelona now?

Why does v.Eijden have to fly to Barcelona to talk to Cruijff?

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr mar 04, 2005 10:38 am

The Purple Cow schreef:
Because Cruijff has told him to :worshippy:
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

muffin_

Bericht door muffin_ » vr mar 04, 2005 1:35 pm

The Purple Cow schreef:"Ajax general director Arie van Eijden is due to go to Barcelona to meet Cruyff..."

So they don't have telephones in Barcelona now?

Welcome to the modern world of football :). Why just phone him, when he can go to Spain, talk to Cruyff there and have some fun at the same time...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » vr mar 04, 2005 3:24 pm

Interesting take on Rinus Michel's legacy:

Soccer: A coach who set genius free
Rob Hughes International Herald Tribune
Saturday, March 5, 2005

The death of Rinus Michels gave birth on every continent where soccer is played to the debate on Total Football.

Many obituaries in numerous languages described Michels, who died Thursday after heart surgery at the age of 77, as the Founder of Total Football. But, without quibbling with the award FIFA, the international ruler of soccer gave him in 1999 as the "Manager of the Century," it would be more accurate to say that he was the father of the Dutch version of so-called Total Football.

Full article: http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/03/04/sports/soccer.html

Plaats reactie