Ajax History

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di jan 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:website was one of the main reasons for Ajax to offer me my membership of the club (which is the coolest reward I could ever get).
Out of curiosity, what are the advantages to be member of the club ?

And thanks again for keeping Ajax USA up-to-date as there aren't many other solutions to have some reliable and complete news in English. But I must add that it's not anymore needed now, as nothing can be better I think... :headbang:
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo jan 31, 2007 2:34 am

It should be painfully obvious, but it bears repeating: Ajax USA is possibly the best fan-run site out there, as far as soccer clubs go. And thanks to Jim and Menno for making it that way. It's great to be a part of the Ajax fan community via Ajax USA and Ajaxtalk.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » wo jan 31, 2007 4:54 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Wow. That's a really moving post, Thomas. Thanks for that. Reactions like yours are the only 'profit' that Ajax USA makes (and may it forever stay that way). I'm doing the whole thing because it's fun, and because I love my club. People telling me that they actually enjoy it, is pretty f**king great, to be honest.
No problem, man. :xyxthumbs: I didn't mean to flatter you too much though. I hope this doesn't mean you're going to get all cocky on us. ;)

Kowalczyk schreef:I personally think the 15 Years Ago pieces got better over the years: the recent ones are better than the old 1987 ones, if you ask me. Which is a good thing: it means that you'll probably start enjoying it more and more, reading the installments chronologically.
I think I'm already noticing some improvements. The pieces seem to be getting a bit longer as well. Some of the pictures are fantastic. Those pictures in combination with the stories make me feel like I was a part of it. Eventhough I was born in 1987 and never consciously experienced any of it. I suppose it's because of my very special bond with Ajax, which in turn is something odd, seeming as I've lived in Aruba almost my entire life and have rarely been able to attend any games (just 8 or so, including games in the Amsterdam Tournament). When I move to Holland in the summer I'll definitely be looking to get my hands on a season ticket.

Kowalczyk schreef:I am very proud of Ajax USA, especially because we've 'survived' and still do our thing, consistently, according to the same editorial policy. We've never taken a break. Our readers/friends/community can count on a serious match report of every Ajax game (no exceptions), news reports on every transfer or relevant news fact. The news and match report archives are slowly becoming pretty huge: this is the 7th season in a row that we cover 'Ajax USA style'. Ajax USA has become a pretty enormous Ajax archive.
Well it's definitely something you guys should be proud of. So what do you do when neither you nor Jim were able to watch the game? Where do you get your match report from?
Kowalczyk schreef:I'm particularly proud of our club profiles (no website that I know has anything like it) and 15 Years. I'm a much busier man now than I was in 1999 (which is when I started writing for Ajax USA), but I'll find the time. I can't stop. I just can't. With every 15 Years Ago installment that I write it's becoming more unthinkable that I will 'break the cycle'. You know when 15 Years Ago will end? The moment it 'bites the tail' of the Ajax USA archives, on 01 August 2000. From the 2000-2001 season onwards we have a full archive, so July 2000 will be the last 15 Years Ago installment. And yes, I'll keep going until we're there. Next month is the 5th anniversary of 15 Years Ago, so you better believe I mean it... :yes: .
It seems quite unique to me as well. I had another question though. Have you ever thought about expanding? By gathering even more (fun) facts and information about players of the opposite teams, for instance?

As for the 15 Years Ago installments, I can imagine that you have certain years you just can't wait to get too. You probably already have your pieces for May 2007 and 2010 written and ready to be posted. :D

Kowalczyk schreef:
I also have a couple of questions that just came to mind. Who manages the site for you and how much time do you have to put into it?
The founder and webmaster of Ajax USA is my good friend Jim McGough. He started the whole thing. He designed the site, maintains it and is, essentially, the publisher. He sometimes writes stuff, too. From 1995 to 1999 he did Ajax USA all by himself (including a series of newsletters in the years 1996-1998, which you can find in the Ajax USA archives as well). In 1999 my good friend Bastiaan Vercouteren and I offered our services. We started writing match reports and news reports (and Jim started archiving them in the way we still archive our articles). Bastiaan called it quits after a few years. Today, I do most of the writing. In years that Jim can watch Ajax games in the U.S. he will write match reports as well (he's done a few this season).

How much time it costs me? You don't want to know... I don't even know how much time it costs me, and I don't want to know either. A lot of time, that's for sure. But I promise you I will call it quits as soon as I don't enjoy it anymore. Ajax USA has become my baby, sort of. I've made some very good friends via Ajax USA and the website was one of the main reasons for Ajax to offer me my membership of the club (which is the coolest reward I could ever get).

To everybody who likes Ajax USA: this little website ain't gonna disappear. :eusa_dance:

K.
I'd be very proud of my membership, if I was you. It should be great to be able to approach your hobby and passion in a more professional way, now and then.

Oh and by the way, I'm sort of borrowing most of the pics from Ajax USA to make my own little archive on my pc (I'll probably ask Toby for some great interviews as well). I hope you don't mind. If you do..... Well there's nothing much you can do about it either way, is there. ;)

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » wo jan 31, 2007 10:13 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef: And thanks again for keeping Ajax USA up-to-date as there aren't many other solutions to have some reliable and complete news in English.
Ditto. I became addicted to Ajax USA back when ajax.nl was around, but the English section seemed to have one of those permanent "under construction" signs up. If you can't read Dutch, Ajax-USA and Ajaxtalk are the number one sites for Ajax fans :smile-ajax:
Kowalczyk schreef: To everybody who likes Ajax USA: this little website ain't gonna disappear. :eusa_dance:
We certainly don't hope so. Brilliant site and brilliant forum. Alrite, enough bonding, in the spirit of Davids - let's go beat the crap out of Fword (on the pitch of course, say no to violence.. oh yea, and drugs) :xyxthumbs:

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » do feb 01, 2007 4:31 pm

Ko?

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 02, 2007 8:45 am

Thomas schreef:Ko?
What can I do for you, Sir?

K.
Still alive...

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » vr feb 02, 2007 9:28 am

Maybe he's waiting for February 92... :D :blush:
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 02, 2007 9:30 am

Cedric_AeF schreef:Maybe he's waiting for February 92... :D :blush:
*LOL*

Written and sent to Jim! Now all we have to do is wait until he creates the page and publishes it...

K.
Still alive...

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » vr feb 02, 2007 12:27 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Thomas schreef:Ko?
What can I do for you, Sir?

K.
I still had some questions here and there, so when you get some time during your busy schedule.....

http://www.ajaxtalk.nl/Forum/viewtopic. ... 973#543973

:eusa_pray:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

February 1992

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr feb 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Cedric_AeF schreef:Maybe he's waiting for February 92... :D :blush:
It's up now, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

March 1992

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za mar 10, 2007 8:09 pm

New 15 Years Ago installment, ladies and gents!

It's March 1992!

http://www.ajax-usa.com/history/fifteen ... -1992.html

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo mar 11, 2007 11:32 pm

This isn't particularly informative I don't think but a nice short article anyway and a couple of good pictures from the Ajax museum

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/ind ... &Itemid=26
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma apr 02, 2007 1:16 pm

Oh yeah, Thomas... I still have to answer a few of your questions... :blush: :D
Thomas schreef:Well it's definitely something you guys should be proud of. So what do you do when neither you nor Jim were able to watch the game? Where do you get your match report from?
If no-one of us saw the game in its entirety, we will base our report on newspaper reports and Ajax.nl - and credit the sources used at the bottom of the report (as if it's a news report). If no sources are credited at the bottom of a match report (which will be the case 99% of the time, or more) the report is independently written by an author who saw the full game.
Kowalczyk schreef:Have you ever thought about expanding? By gathering even more (fun) facts and information about players of the opposite teams, for instance?
Not really. That would be too much work. All the match reports, news reports, 15 Years Ago, news links, quotes, annually updated club profiles... It really is quite a lot of work, so I'm not thinking about expanding the club profiles.

Cheers. :xyxthumbs:

K.
Still alive...

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » ma apr 02, 2007 3:03 pm

How spontanious of you. ;)

Cheers. :xyxthumbs:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za mei 12, 2007 10:37 am

Ladies and gentlemen, have you heard the news? 15 Years Ago is back in business!

That's right.

The Ajax USA time machine that broke down about six weeks ago has finally been repaired, so here we go: April 1992 and May 1992 are available for your enjoyment on Ajax USA!

Yay! :headbang.gif:

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

15 Years Ago

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jul 31, 2007 8:23 am

Ladies and gentlemen,

Time for a decision: our monthly series 15 Years Ago has come to an end. I've decided to call it quits. For now, anyway.

The reason? As you'd expect: time. Writing a 15 Years Ago installment costs quite a lot of time and I have noticed that I don't always have it. As you will have noticed I have fallen behind a couple of times in the last year. I would now have to write three installments to make up the arrears (June, July and August 1992) and I don't feel the passion.

So, this is it. 15 Years Ago has been running for more than five years straight, from February 2002 (or should we say February 1987) thru May 2007 (May 1992). Who knows I will pick it up again on June 2012, under the name "It was 20 years ago today". I might.

I want to start working on a new book and I just had to take this decision. But I have other ambitions for Ajax USA! Now that 15 Years is gone I finally have the time to continue my work on the old Ajax club history that we have on the site. I want to re-write and expand that whole section, and add pictures to it. The very first chapter is already 'new style'. The rest of the chapters is still 'old skool' and I am going to improve them.

Also, I want to start writing, translating and collecting more From the desk of... installments again. So there will be plenty of activity on Ajax USA, and plenty for you to read, but... no more 15 Years for the time being.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di jul 31, 2007 8:51 am

Menno.

Many thanks for all the years of effort you have and continue to put into the site. Words cannot describe my thanks.

I'm sure I am not only speaking for myself here btw.

:headbang.gif:

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di jul 31, 2007 5:05 pm

Menno-

If there is a choice between losing the 15 Years Ago segment and keeping the rest of the site in its kick ass fashion, I'm happy to see you stop doing 15 Years Ago.

Ajax-USA is the best fansite out there. Thanks for your labor of love.

Alex
Laatst gewijzigd door aveslacker op di jul 31, 2007 11:11 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di jul 31, 2007 5:40 pm

Menno, THANK YOU for the top quality journalism you contribute to Ajax USA on a daily basis !!!!!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » di jul 31, 2007 11:57 pm

Yeah it might hurt a little ttoo say goodbye to 15 years ago but you've said it...if it's for the well being of Ajax-USA so be it. Full support here :ajaxsmiley.gif:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di mar 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Happy Birthday :ajaxscarf.gif:! How about a nice present tomorrow from PSV?! :hupajax.gif:

http://www.onthisfootballday.com/2008_0 ... istory.php
March 18 – Ajax: A Potted History

TODAY our tales of footballing history take us over to Amsterdam, where four men met today in 1900 to create what would become one of the most stylish and sophisticated football clubs ever seen. Named after the mythological Greek hero and not the detergent, AFC Ajax have treated football fans to some of the finest club performances ever seen over the years.

Taking the credit for the birth of Ajax are Floris Stempel, Carel Reeser and brothers Han and Johan Dade, who were attempting to resurrect the defunct side ‘Footh-Ball Club Ajax’, who came and went in 1894, possibly because of the spelling mistake in their name that wasn’t picked up on by it’s Dutch speaking founders.

A slow start to life in the Eredivisie meant that Ajax didn’t reach the top division until 1911, the same year that their iconic strip first came into play. The stylish thick red stripe on their white shirts made famous during their all-conquering side in the 1970s came about due to a kit clash with rivals Sparta Rotterdam once Ajax hit the top flight. Their first league title came in 1917, and by the 1930s they were hooving up trophies all over the shop thanks to the likes of Wim Anderiesen Sr. and Piet van Reenen on the pitch and Englishman Jack Reynolds in the dug-out.

Ajax would struggle after Reynolds’ retirement in 1940, but the introduction of professional football in the Netherlands in 1954 lead to the foundations of their greatest ever side, one that dominated European football and was known as ‘Gloria Ajax’. At the heart of this revolution was manager Rinus Michels who was appointed manager in 1965, when the club had just narrowly avoided revolution. Armed with a crazy new philosophy called ‘total football’ and the best young player in the world in John Cruijff, Michels’ free-flowing style of play had an immediate impact as Ajax won the 1965/66 title. The next season saw Ajax score 122 goal in all competitions, a record that still stands today, with Cruijff, still only 20, scoring 33 of them.

Now that all had been conquered on the home front, Ajax turned their attention to the European stage, as Michels’ team began to peak. A first European Cup triumph occurred at Wembley in 1971 as the Amsterdam side defeated Panathinaikos 2-0 in the final, but the best was still to come. Their second of three consecutive European Cup triumphs came in a season where Ajax won every competition they entered. By the end of 1972 the European Cup, Intercontinental Cup, UEFA Super Cup, Eredivisie title and KNVB Cup all found their way to the Olympic Stadium in a feat that has never been achieved before or since.

The glory days came to a close at the end of the 1972/73 season when Cruijff left for Barcelona, ending the reign of the ‘Twelve Apostles’ as the Ajax first XI and reserve Johnny Rep were known. Cruijff has made it back a couple of times, once as manager in the mid-80’s where he oversaw the emergence of Marco Van Basten and more recently when, in a farcical development a few weeks ago he took over as technical director, appointed Van Basten as new manager for next season and then quit again over a “professional difference of opinion” between the two.

Ajax’s other great period was in the mid-90’s when they forged another European Cup winning side, this time under the stewardship of Louis van Gaal, that became famous for being the first side to be torn apart by the Bosman ruling in 1995. These days they are still battling it out at the business end of the table in the Netherlands, with fans hopeful that the appointment of the former favourite Van Basten can help re-establish themselves as one of the top sides in Europe. Take a gander at Cruijff and co in their pomp winning their 1972 ‘quintuple’ below and come back tomorrow for some unlikely Anglo-Italian action.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo mar 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks for the interesting post.

Lets hope we have a late birthday present today.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do apr 03, 2008 11:06 am

April 3rd, 1982: young Marco van Basten made his official Ajax-1 début in the Eredivisie home game against NEC, replacing... Johan Cruijff. Ajax are having a good match, they're 2-0 up. Van Basten graces his first team début with a goal (3-0). The final score is 5-0.

He'd only been an Ajacied for a few months at that point. He moved to Amsterdam from the A1 youth team of Utrecht-based amateur club Elinkwijk and joined the Ajax A1. He made a great impression and got 'promoted' to Ajax-2. When he made his first team début there were five appearances for Ajax-2 behind his name. In those five matches he netted eight (!) times.

Marco van Basten's Ajax-1 début. 26 years ago today!

Here's a picture:
http://www.ajax.nl/web/show/id=154417/contentid=66069

K.
Still alive...

Jesse

Bericht door Jesse » do apr 03, 2008 11:24 am

Nice. :ajaxscarf.gif:
"Well, maybe Bob Dylan was wrong. Maybe you do have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do apr 03, 2008 11:26 am

Kowalczyk schreef:...

Marco van Basten's Ajax-1 début. 26 years ago today!

K.
No matter what happens with his coaching career. MvB is and will always be my favourite footballer (closely followed by a certain Mr Bergkamp).

I think more than any footballer, he defined what a #9 should be.

To remind us all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpJna4-O ... re=related

Thanks for the post Ko. Nice one mate :onfire.gif:

Plaats reactie