Ajax History

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Wit-Rood-Wit

Bericht door Wit-Rood-Wit » wo jul 26, 2006 1:11 pm

fuck it i'm working in a Sunny beach in bulgaria, right, here are manny dutch tourists. today i saw 1 with a feyenoord shit-shirt and i am with my Ajax-shirt and the bastart start to yell at me. i told him" go eat shits, fag" and go closer to him with a angry face, but the coward run away. there is 1 ado fan , that i see all the time, but he is nice old boy
Nice one!!! :xyxthumbs: Well done
Geef Ajax z'n gezicht terug

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo jul 26, 2006 6:26 pm

This past weekend proved to me that Ajax fans are everywhere. I was at the Gorge Amphitheatre in the town of George,in Washington state, to see Pearl Jam. I met another Ajax fan, from Idaho, and we proceeded to talk club history(mostly 80's and 90's), last years cup final, alltime 11's,and this years hopes.

A great way to chill before the show.Chill being figurative only. The temperature was 103' F Saturday and 106' F Sunday. As usual, no Kakkerlakken supporters in sight. They never could take the heat . Just as is demonstrated by their club's league form year in and year out.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di aug 01, 2006 11:51 am

Ladies and gentlemen, it's August 1st, time for a new 15 Years Ago installment!

http://www.ajax-usa.com/history/fifteen ... -1991.html

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo aug 02, 2006 11:10 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Ladies and gentlemen, it's August 1st, time for a new 15 Years Ago installment!

The pictures have now been added to the article. Take a look - they're great. I couldn't find any pictures myself for this month, so I contacted our Ajax Talk friend, 343, who has an amazing archive of Ajax photos. He scanned these cool pictures for us. Thanks, 343!

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

September 1991

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di sep 05, 2006 6:00 pm

A few days late 'due to circumstances' (as they say), but there it is: the September 1991 installment of 15 Years Ago. A pivotal month in recent Ajax history... With cool pics, as usual. Check it out.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

October 1991

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma okt 02, 2006 12:42 am

New 15 Years Ago installment, guys 'n dolls...

K.
Still alive...

afckeeper95

Bericht door afckeeper95 » ma okt 02, 2006 5:09 pm

These truely are a great read. Since this is around the time I started following Ajax for real, the names and games start to ring a bell too. But fantastic writing K.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

November 1991

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo nov 01, 2006 9:28 am

New month, new 15 Years Ago installment!

Now up on Ajax USA: November 1991.

K.
Still alive...

HBK

Bericht door HBK » zo dec 10, 2006 6:06 pm

December 1991, ko?

:X

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma dec 11, 2006 12:58 am

HBK schreef:December 1991, ko?

Yup... Coming up some time this week. Too busy at the moment... (work, but I'm also moving into my new appartment next weekend, so I'm packing boxes and shit).

It's good to know that some of you are actually impatiently waiting for it... :yes: :xyxthumbs:

K.
Still alive...

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma dec 11, 2006 9:54 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
HBK schreef:December 1991, ko?

Yup... Coming up some time this week. Too busy at the moment... (work, but I'm also moving into my new appartment next weekend, so I'm packing boxes and shit).

K.
I am really impressed with you Ko - I didn't realise that you were so ecologically minded in that you kept your sh*t and actually take it with you to new places.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

HBK

Bericht door HBK » ma dec 11, 2006 3:21 pm

It's good to know that some of you are actually impatiently waiting for it...
Take your time..

Yup, and i'm not alone...for sure. Your work in this corner is simply blessed. For the young generation that was not express this era in ajax history, its very important to know our club history depth, and not only be knowing "ya, we won the UEFA cup in 91/92".

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma dec 11, 2006 5:22 pm

HBK schreef:For the young generation that was not express this era in ajax history, its very important to know our club history depth, and not only be knowing "ya, we won the UEFA cup in 91/92".
How do you know that? It's only December 1991... :D

On Ajax USA it's still November 1991, actually.

K
Still alive...

HBK

Bericht door HBK » zo dec 31, 2006 7:41 pm

:redcard:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

New Year's Game

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jan 01, 2007 8:28 pm

An old Dutch football tradition is the annual friendly on New Year's Day between Royal HFC (Holland's oldest football club, currently playing in the Second Class of amateur football) and the 'Old Internationals' team. It was the 74th edition of the New Year's Game and 'Old Oranje' book their fourth straight win: 3-1. 1,800 spectators saw Aron Winter and Rob Witschge give the men in orange a 2-0 lead at half-time. After the break Olivier Koelemij netted for Royal HFC, but Orlando Trustfull made it 3-1. The 'Old Oranje' team is coached by 'Mister Ajax' Sjaak Swart.

As for 15 Years Ago... :blush: Too busy, too busy - and I'm not feeling well either. I think I'm catching the flu... So you'll have to be patient, peeps.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo jan 07, 2007 1:54 am

Dear fans of 15 Years Ago... ;)

Your patience is about to be rewarded. I have just sent the December 1991 and January 1992 installments, plus pictures, to our good friend and esteemed Ajax USA president, Mr Jim McGough. He will prepare the chapters and publish them a.s.a.p. Stay tuned!

K.
Still alive...

ajaxusa
Contacteer:

Bericht door ajaxusa » zo jan 07, 2007 3:38 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Dear fans of 15 Years Ago... ;)

Your patience is about to be rewarded. I have just sent the December 1991 and January 1992 installments, plus pictures, to our good friend and esteemed Ajax USA president, Mr Jim McGough. He will prepare the chapters and publish them a.s.a.p. Stay tuned!

K.
Done! And man, is there another fan site anywhere in the world that has this kind of stuff? Thank you Ko... you're an international treasure for Ajax fans.

Enjoy folks:

http://www.ajax-usa.com/history/fifteen ... -1992.html

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma jan 08, 2007 7:44 am

We have now added some beautiful pictures to the January 1992 installment, so that both of the new installments are now illustrated. The January 1992 pictures were selected, scanned up and sent to us by our good old friend Toby a.k.a. 343. Thanks for that, mate. Much appreciated!

K.
Still alive...

Rubin Stark

Bericht door Rubin Stark » wo jan 10, 2007 11:00 am

Outstanding work as usual.

Was in the Olympic Stadium for the Classic, but don't remember a hell of a lot. Still have the replica jersey from that year.
"The joy of seeing Yuri Gargarin flying in space is only superseded by the joy of
a good penalty save." - Lev Yashin

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » do jan 11, 2007 10:40 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:We have now added some beautiful pictures to the January 1992 installment, so that both of the new installments are now illustrated. The January 1992 pictures were selected, scanned up and sent to us by our good old friend Toby a.k.a. 343. Thanks for that, mate. Much appreciated!

K.
:worshippy:

Rubin Stark

Bericht door Rubin Stark » vr jan 12, 2007 2:34 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-20/:

0-20 is a name for Ajax Amsterdam used by Dutch people.

Can someone please explain what 0-20 means?
"The joy of seeing Yuri Gargarin flying in space is only superseded by the joy of
a good penalty save." - Lev Yashin

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr jan 12, 2007 9:41 am

Rubin Stark schreef:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-20/:

Area phone code.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr jan 12, 2007 11:17 am

Over Pasanens Head schreef:
Rubin Stark schreef:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-20/:

Area phone code.
In the same way as Fnerd are 010 :evildr: If I could be bothered I'd update Wikipedia - that must confuse the hell out of people :D
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

FlaFlu

Bericht door FlaFlu » di jan 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Hey Ko, I have to admit that I had never read any of the Ajax 15 years ago pieces before today. Though I’d planned on snooping around on the website for a while now, I never really got to it. Busy, busy, busy. You know how it is. ;) But today I finally remembered at the right moment. I was bored stiff at work (still am, actually) and decided to have a look. And quite frankly, I’m hooked. Great stuff, man. I can’t keep myself from clicking on the link to the next month. I’ve read from February 1987 all the way through to September 1987 in the last hour, and that’s only because my bosses have this annoying habit of interrupting me.

In all honesty, it’s quite hard to bore me with anything that’s about football or Ajax, but I really like the way the pieces are written as well. I’m fascinated by the descriptions, pictures and statistics and I hope you’ll continue writing about Ajax for a long time to come. I can’t imagine you’ll give it up, given your passion for our club and writing.

I also have a couple of questions that just came to mind. Who manages the site for you and how much time do you have to put into it?

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di jan 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Wow. That's a really moving post, Thomas. Thanks for that. Reactions like yours are the only 'profit' that Ajax USA makes (and may it forever stay that way). I'm doing the whole thing because it's fun, and because I love my club. People telling me that they actually enjoy it, is pretty f**king great, to be honest.
Thomas schreef:In all honesty, it’s quite hard to bore me with anything that’s about football or Ajax, but I really like the way the pieces are written as well. I’m fascinated by the descriptions, pictures and statistics and I hope you’ll continue writing about Ajax for a long time to come. I can’t imagine you’ll give it up, given your passion for our club and writing.
I personally think the 15 Years Ago pieces got better over the years: the recent ones are better than the old 1987 ones, if you ask me. Which is a good thing: it means that you'll probably start enjoying it more and more, reading the installments chronologically.

I am very proud of Ajax USA, especially because we've 'survived' and still do our thing, consistently, according to the same editorial policy. We've never taken a break. Our readers/friends/community can count on a serious match report of every Ajax game (no exceptions), news reports on every transfer or relevant news fact. The news and match report archives are slowly becoming pretty huge: this is the 7th season in a row that we cover 'Ajax USA style'. Ajax USA has become a pretty enormous Ajax archive.

I'm particularly proud of our club profiles (no website that I know has anything like it) and 15 Years. I'm a much busier man now than I was in 1999 (which is when I started writing for Ajax USA), but I'll find the time. I can't stop. I just can't. With every 15 Years Ago installment that I write it's becoming more unthinkable that I will 'break the cycle'. You know when 15 Years Ago will end? The moment it 'bites the tail' of the Ajax USA archives, on 01 August 2000. From the 2000-2001 season onwards we have a full archive, so July 2000 will be the last 15 Years Ago installment. And yes, I'll keep going until we're there. Next month is the 5th anniversary of 15 Years Ago, so you better believe I mean it... :yes:

Maybe I will start a new series called 50 Years Ago after that, and keep that going until it bites the tail of 15 Years Ago. ;)
I also have a couple of questions that just came to mind. Who manages the site for you and how much time do you have to put into it?
The founder and webmaster of Ajax USA is my good friend Jim McGough. He started the whole thing. He designed the site, maintains it and is, essentially, the publisher. He sometimes writes stuff, too. From 1995 to 1999 he did Ajax USA all by himself (including a series of newsletters in the years 1996-1998, which you can find in the Ajax USA archives as well). In 1999 my good friend Bastiaan Vercouteren and I offered our services. We started writing match reports and news reports (and Jim started archiving them in the way we still archive our articles). Bastiaan called it quits after a few years. Today, I do most of the writing. In years that Jim can watch Ajax games in the U.S. he will write match reports as well (he's done a few this season).

How much time it costs me? You don't want to know... I don't even know how much time it costs me, and I don't want to know either. A lot of time, that's for sure. But I promise you I will call it quits as soon as I don't enjoy it anymore. Ajax USA has become my baby, sort of. I've made some very good friends via Ajax USA and the website was one of the main reasons for Ajax to offer me my membership of the club (which is the coolest reward I could ever get).

To everybody who likes Ajax USA: this little website ain't gonna disappear. :eusa_dance:

K.
Still alive...

Plaats reactie