Ajax History

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

aveslacker

Re: Ajax History

Bericht door aveslacker » do mei 28, 2015 7:00 am

Who knows? Maybe, once the feds are done ransacking FIFA, something like normalcy will return to the global game.

I doubt it, but one can hope.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do mei 28, 2015 11:21 am

^^The only way this happens is if UEFA and its member FAs withdraw from FIFA. This is where all the money is for the players, sponsors, and supporters. The WC takes place every four years and is a totally bankrupting process (wonder how many football matches have been played at Manaus since the end of the Brazil WC?). If UEFA walk out, Blatter is floating on a sinking ship.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Dave the mac

Bericht door Dave the mac » do mei 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Very interesting developments with the FIFA arrests in Switzerland. Of course no one is guilty until convicted, but it does appear that the rumors of corruption are true. Blatter states that he knew nothing, if he didn't, he should have and done something about it. A dark day for world football. Disgusting.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » ma jun 01, 2015 6:53 am

Dave the mac schreef:Very interesting developments with the FIFA arrests in Switzerland. Of course no one is guilty until convicted, but it does appear that the rumors of corruption are true. Blatter states that he knew nothing, if he didn't, he should have and done something about it. A dark day for world football. Disgusting.
I suspect that sooner or later there will be enough evidence to point to Blatter. Some of the guys that the FBI has indicted are bound to sing like Chuck Blazer did, and eventually the paper trail will lead back to him and quite a few others besides.

Blatter, however, has shown to be singularly unconcerned with trivialities like the appearance of mass corruption and/or incompetence. He may choose to hole up in Geneva and fight extradition until he dies.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma jun 01, 2015 11:58 am

@aveslacker - I agrre 100%. Look at what just happened with former Congressman Hastert last week. The Feds uncovered this illegal transfer of money to an someone he allegedly abused while a high school teacher and wrestling coach. You cannot keep things covered up forever. Blatter, however, is 79 years old and maybe doesn't even care about such stuff as he probably sees the end of life coming sooner rather than later.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di jun 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Orange14 schreef:@aveslacker - I agrre 100%. Look at what just happened with former Congressman Hastert last week. The Feds uncovered this illegal transfer of money to an someone he allegedly abused while a high school teacher and wrestling coach. You cannot keep things covered up forever. Blatter, however, is 79 years old and maybe doesn't even care about such stuff as he probably sees the end of life coming sooner rather than later.
To be honest, for me it's less about the financial aspects of the bribery than the human ones. Schools were bulldozed in South Africa to make roads for stadia. Favelas in Brazil were cleared out - people were literally removed from their homes - so that Blatter and his cronies wouldn't have to look at them on the way to the matches. And of course hundreds and possibly thousands of workers have died/will die in order to make the World Cup in Qatar happen, all while FIFA, who punishes countries for "political interference" in football decisions mind you, forces countries to change their laws so that they can spirit their money away tax-free.

Sure, the money is important - fraud and bribery are crimes for a reason. But the real crime is the human cost of FIFA's corruption. FIFA leadership literally has blood on their hands. Blatter and his gang of cronies will never do time for that, but I hope they all rot in a fucking dank jail cell for what they've done to people in some of the world's developing countries.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr mar 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Happy birthday AFC Ajax 116 years ago today .Lets hope we can celebrate on Sunday with a win.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr mar 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes let's celebrate the birthday of the most beautiful club in the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD8iBV5lXC4

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr mar 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Nice pictures .Not just the most beautiful club but the most influential club in the world. You only have to look at Barca and ask which club influenced them.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr mar 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Not only nice pictures, also a nice Youtube clip SPL. JC and especially Frank de Boer look a bit younger after about 1:34 minutes:
SPL schreef:Nice pictures .Not just the most beautiful club but the most influential club in the world.
Absolutely true. I think it's a real good moment to repost this article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... or-us.html

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do okt 06, 2016 12:59 pm

2 books out connected to our great club . Johan Cruijff's up to date biography book is now out here in Uk and I will be buying it.

Also I see on Ajax official site a book called 101 things you should know about Ajax .Its a book aimed for children and its author Menno Pot , who helped set up Ajax USA with Jim. Hope this book sells well and encourages youngsters to read about this beautiful and so special club. Pity its not in English.

I found Ajax USA in 2001,still the most important site of all, as it opened my world into Ajax and I could talk to other english speaking Ajax nuts and also Menno wrote lots of articles on our History.

PS Thanks to the guys who run Ajaxtalk and allow us non Dutch lads to communicate here.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » do okt 06, 2016 2:09 pm

SPL schreef: I found Ajax USA in 2001,still the most important site of all, as it opened my world into Ajax and I could talk to other english speaking Ajax nuts and also Menno wrote lots of articles on our History.

PS Thanks to the guys who run Ajaxtalk and allow us non Dutch lads to communicate here.
The same!!! Back in 2001 the only connection I had with Ajax was through the backpages of the newspaper with the league standings. Hadn't seen a game since 98 or 99. Then I found AjaxUSA... That changed my Ajax life. Thanks!!
May the Force be with you

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za nov 05, 2016 10:52 pm

I did not know that Ajax held (actually still does when you read the story) record of 27 straight matches won. This was set back in 1971 when our Sainted Cruyff was in the team. Edwin van der Sar provide cases of beer for a very low division English club that just broke it: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... an-der-sar

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo nov 06, 2016 11:33 am

A nice story that made the press here.

Just to correct you they are Scottish ,they will not be happy being called English.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo nov 06, 2016 2:05 pm

SPL schreef: Just to correct you they are Scottish ,they will not be happy being called English.
To be sure! My mistake.

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » zo nov 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Orange14 schreef:I did not know that Ajax held (actually still does when you read the story) record of 27 straight matches won.
The craziest thing is that Ajax ended the record run by playing in a fantasy line up with the goal keeper as striker because it was the last match of the season and they had already won every competition they played in. The run could have been a lot longer.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » di nov 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Arthur schreef:The craziest thing is that Ajax ended the record run by playing in a fantasy line up with the goal keeper as striker
I did not know that at all. Thanks for the history lesson.

On another note - does anyone remember that a Jong Ajax team had made it to the Cup finals in the early 90s and in the final, Ajax decided to field first team players and lost. I don't know where I read that or if it was my imagination. but I couldn't find the story anywhere when I was looking 2 weeks ago.

Arthur

Ajax History

Bericht door Arthur » di nov 08, 2016 7:55 pm

That was in the 87/88 season, so a bit earlier than you were looking for. They 'only' made it to the quarter finals when the first team players took over and lost to RKC.
Also, Jong Ajax was called Ajax 2 back then.

Sandro

Bericht door Sandro » di nov 08, 2016 8:16 pm

Ajax sent 27 crates of Jupiler beer. That's Belgian, people!
"Hate it or love it, the underdog's on top".

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di nov 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Sandro_Calaaabro schreef:Ajax sent 27 crates of Jupiler beer. That's Belgian, people!
Another reason why van der Sar cannot run a football team!!!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo nov 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Arthur schreef:That was in the 87/88 season, so a bit earlier than you were looking for. They 'only' made it to the quarter finals when the first team players took over and lost to RKC.
Also, Jong Ajax was called Ajax 2 back then.
Yes! Found it. Thanks so much!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo dec 08, 2019 2:09 pm

I meant to post this yesterday as 7th December 1966 an unknown team from Amsterdam beat mighty Liverpool 5-1 in a game in the mist in the European Cup. The day the world discovered our club and saw Cruijff.

Has football ever been the same since? Yesterday at my local non league club the fans at the end started signing "Dont Worry about a thing ",Copied from watching Ajax of course.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di jan 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Another first for our great club. 1st team and 2nd team both top the 2 main leagues at the same time and this has never happened to us before.Not sure any club has ever had their 2 teams at the top of the 2 main leagues at the same time in their country before.

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » di jan 21, 2020 9:31 pm

I read that it actually happened to PSV a couple of years ago.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo jan 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Thanks Arthur for above.Sadly PSV have already achieved it.

Plaats reactie