General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

DanK

Bericht door DanK » vr mei 06, 2005 4:46 am

SPL schreef: I still refer to it as the European Cup as you cannot call it a champions league when teams are in it who have never been champions, and the big 3 countries are allowed to have their 4th best teams in it.
Well said. This has been one of my biggest complaints about the competition. Why should teams who finish 4th in one league be allowed to compete, when some nations only have 1 rep who then need to go through qualifing.

All UEFA are doing is making the rich teams/leagues richer and giving less chance for the lower clubs to make money. If you are going to let in 4 teams form 3 leagues, you should let 4 teams in from all leagues.

The so called 'top clubs' of the G14 should get their hand of it and realise they are not the only clubs in the world. I am waiting for the announcement that English/Italian/Spanish sides wont need to enter the comp until the 1/4 finals. Oh and Man Utd and Real Madrid wont have to meet until the final etc.

I guess I should stop complaining and be thankful Dutch clubs even get a look in. And I don't want to hear "but their leagues are stronger".

You should only be allowed to enter the competion if you are the CHAMPION of your country.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr mei 06, 2005 7:35 am

You should only be allowed to enter the competion if you are the CHAMPION of your country.
Well said, but then I don't suppose you will get much dissent from that viewpoint on an Ajax/Dutch Football Forum. :xyxthumbs:

The number of times I've had this conversation I can't count - it's nice not to be in the minority for once.

Anyway - I think we've thrown down a bit of a gauntlet - prove me wrong someone that there's no disagreement re the "£$£$" League.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » vr mei 06, 2005 9:23 am

DanK schreef:
I prefer to watch (for example) the game between Liverpool (4th in Premiership) with 3rd team from Serie A, than the game Ararat Erewan vs Jeunessche Esch... The present rules of 'Champions' League are unfair, but UEFA wants to earn the money, and clubs from best leagues guarantee that- UEFA has a lot of money from TV transmissions, sponsors and fans... As you see- money is the god in football, and we can nothing to do with that...

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr mei 06, 2005 9:50 am

AsgAarD_xxx schreef:I prefer to watch (for example) the game between Liverpool (4th in Premiership) with 3rd team from Serie A, than the game Ararat Erewan vs Jeunessche Esch...
Personally, I don't feel that way (I want to see exciting games and as many different jerseys and stadiums as possible), but I know the majority of people feels the same way as you.

But... for how long?

I mean: if there is one thing that football (or every other sport) needs in order to stay interesting, it is an occasional upset. A surprise. Some injustice even. Like an exhausted Manchester United team that plays Brøndby and loses.

In the current structure UEFA are basically making the chance that such a thing will happen as small as possible. For a club like Djurgårdens IF or Wisla Krakow or Rapid Bucharest it is a really big thing to play Real Madrid or AC Milan, but in the current situation it has become almost impossible for them to even get there, even if they're the champions of their country.

The current structure makes the financial differences bigger instead of smaller - and that can never be the intention.

In a few years' time people will start to get bored with the Champions League as it is. Juventus vs Bayern Munich? Barcelona vs AC Milan? Again? Same stadiums, same cities, same jerseys - all the time. I'm already bored with it now, actually. I would love to see HJK Helsinki in the Champions League: see their stadium, see their jersey, watch the way they play and hear the songs that their fans sing.

I would love it. Even if it means that we will play UEFA Cup if we finish second. Fine with me. Seriously.

K.
Still alive...

LucaS

Bericht door LucaS » vr mei 06, 2005 2:02 pm

This week once again showed what a curse those f*cking groupstages are. European cup football should be played between two teams over two games...f*ck the money
I think I lost my fucking headache

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr mei 06, 2005 4:03 pm

Lucas schreef:This week once again showed what a curse those f*cking groupstages are. European cup football should be played between two teams over two games...f*ck the money
Yeah true....except that in Group stages the better teams tend to go through and win (Like Eredivisie v Amstel Cup)....and that didn't happen with the better teams on Wednesday and Thursday night!

I say that (and mean it) but deep down still agree with you.....
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » vr mei 06, 2005 4:37 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: I mean: if there is one thing that football (or every other sport) needs in order to stay interesting, it is an occasional upset. A surprise. Some injustice even. Like an exhausted Manchester United team that plays Brøndby and loses.

K.
Come on, Broendby is good club, so that surprise wasn't so big :D .

But try to imagine that- for example Ararat Erewan will win against Real Madrid in CL Qualifications, but then (in group stages) they will lose all the games 0-5 or higher... It might be one miracle, but what will be next? The better way to see surprises will be only one game in qualifications and one in group stages, but then there won't be the place for great technique, wonderful actions etc., but just domination of cattenacio!!

I think that one thing that football needs is more money for clubs (or Roman Abramovich in every country :D ). Russian league was one of the worst nightmare for players few years ago, but now (thanks to money) they have players such a Cavenaghi and clubs like CSKA Moscow... I also want to see surprises, but it's better to see great football and great players than new stadiums and jerseys...

And what about your question 'how long?'- I don't know it... You should ask FIFA/UEFA how long they will do everything just to earn the money... I'm afraid the answer might be 'ever'... :sad: [/i]

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr mei 06, 2005 7:32 pm

jakobg schreef:Obviously I didn't like the way Milan made it to the final either, (is it really a coincidence that Italians do this over and over; their national team always manages to get one in in the last minutes of the game) but I can't say I'll be crying if Liverpool lose the final. It's not that Pool have been playing any total football to make it to the final and to be honest I don't really give a shit whoever wins the throphy.

All I want is that the final for once would be entertaining. Minus and Minus makes plus you know, maybe we'll just get one hell of a super-attacking final now then. ;)
Minus & minus making plus ....so obviously you went to sleep watching the scintillating final between Juventus & Milan two years ago & have no actual memory of that sorry night.

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » za mei 07, 2005 10:08 am

Amol schreef: Minus & minus making plus ....so obviously you went to sleep watching the scintillating final between Juventus & Milan two years ago & have no actual memory of that sorry night.
I was actually in the army that evening, and unable to watch the game, since those damn bastards made me sit and guard some friggin' vehichles all night. But maybe I should thank them I never got to see that terrible game.

Anyway, I just said I was hoping for an entertaining final. Not saying it will happend though.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » za mei 07, 2005 5:25 pm

jakobg schreef:
Amol schreef: Minus & minus making plus ....so obviously you went to sleep watching the scintillating final between Juventus & Milan two years ago & have no actual memory of that sorry night.
I was actually in the army that evening, and unable to watch the game, since those damn bastards made me sit and guard some friggin' vehichles all night. But maybe I should thank them I never got to see that terrible game.

Anyway, I just said I was hoping for an entertaining final. Not saying it will happend though.
Sweden has a mandatory miltary service ? Damn... I never would have even guessed that Sweden had an army...
meh :|

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » za mei 07, 2005 5:45 pm

I've been away in the desert and missed the discussion. If part of the latest topic is the CL format, I say keep it like it is. I don't fret when our bored ,TD, and manager have got the plot and put a side able to compete on the pitch..i.e. like 2002-03. The group stage wasn't the issue then.If those in charge would cooperate , we can get through to rd # 2 and beyond.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » zo mei 08, 2005 11:30 am

Carcajou schreef: Sweden has a mandatory miltary service ? Damn... I never would have even guessed that Sweden had an army...
I'm actually born and raised in a Swedish speaking part of Finland, so I was in the Finnish army. But Sweden's got mandatory army as well; much easier to get out of though, in case you don't want to be there. In Finland you ain't got much of a choice.
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » zo mei 08, 2005 5:09 pm

I hate to bring the conversation back to football.... ;)

But how's this for a miss....

http://www.sunecards.co.uk/greatest_ever_miss.wmv?a

Enjoy....('cause it's not your team)........ :xyxthumbs:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » zo mei 08, 2005 6:37 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:I hate to bring the conversation back to football.... ;)

But how's this for a miss....

Enjoy....('cause it's not your team)........ :xyxthumbs:
sign him up.......now! :xyxthumbs:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo mei 08, 2005 9:40 pm

Lyon will probably get his 4th French championship tonite. The key player in the team is Mahamadou Diarra. Given that this fantastic midfielder used to play for Vitesse Arnhem, how come our scouts didn't bring him to Ajax ? With a player like him, we'd be invincible... :sad:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mei 09, 2005 6:47 am

Manneken Pis schreef:But how's this for a miss....

Ooooo... Good shot. Just bad luck. It was a tight angle... ;)

K.
Still alive...

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » ma mei 09, 2005 2:57 pm

Carcajou schreef: Given that this fantastic midfielder used to play for Vitesse Arnhem, how come our scouts didn't bring him to Ajax ?
The same was with Castellen, DaMarcus Beasley and few more players... But our scouts are not so bad- we have, for example, Mitea.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » ma mei 09, 2005 11:42 pm

I must apologise for not updating you all earlier on how Braintree Town's push for Europe for the 2011/12 season is progressing.

Let me put it this way the push is now on for 2012/13. Enough said. :nooo:
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 11, 2005 7:33 am

Man Utd - Chelsea 1-3

19th away win in a row for Chelski :shock:

No direct Champions League qualification for ManUre X'D

K.
Still alive...

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » wo mei 11, 2005 9:30 am

First time in 106-year history of club, FC Barcelona may play with sponsor's logo on shirts. They have an offer from Chinese government- over 100 mln euro for advertisement! It will probably be word 'Beijing' (the name of capital of Chinese). Chinese government would also like to advertising following Olympic Games, but all rights for logo of Olympic (Afbeelding) are reserved.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » wo mei 11, 2005 4:39 pm

AsgAarD_xxx schreef:First time in 106-year history of club, FC Barcelona may play with sponsor's logo on shirts. They have an offer from Chinese government- over 100 mln euro for advertisement! It will probably be word 'Beijing' (the name of capital of Chinese). Chinese government would also like to advertising following Olympic Games, but all rights for logo of Olympic (Afbeelding) are reserved.
I want to see it before I believe it....

Believe me the Socios are not going to accept that so easily...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr mei 13, 2005 5:42 am

Re-posted from the About This Forum thread...
Sir Alex Ferguson schreef:Dont mind admitting it I need some advice. Following the news today I have been brushing up on the words to stars and stripes and have asked the club shirt sponsors to jazz up the current designss in readiness for our last game on Sunday( its important to make a good first impression!-even though he wont be there-ever).

Anyway back to the advice, how will I need to change my management style now that we have gone global, what are the buzz words and how can I possibly ensure that I fit in with the new regime.

Will I need to change my tactics in view of the fact that we will now cease playing two halves in preference for the standard four quarters?

Will warm up involve cheer leaders and if so how will I ensure Wayne Rooney is not distracted or indeed does not end up hitting one of them?

I have made some changes already and from now on the theatre of dreams will be known as The Bear Pit. we will continue playing a mainly Offensive formation and our Deeefence will now consist of two linebackers and two running backs with blocker between the sticks.

In midfield Paul Scholes has changed his name to Brad and Roy Keane would now rather be known as Prince.

Extra time will now be known as overtime and there will probably be even more allocated in future games-at least until we win.

Draws will no longer be permissable in favour of exciting shoot-outs with all the necessary accompanying loud music and all games will start and finsih with fireworks, with probably some in between as well.

The dressing room will of course be known as the locker room and this area will be enlarged to accomodate the hoards of additional sports physchologists and life coaches which will of course now be required.

Seriously though I know MUFC are not the most likeable of clubs but this is not a good move for football clubs or fans anywhere.
K.
Still alive...

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » vr mei 13, 2005 10:27 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Re-posted from the About This Forum thread...
Sir Alex Ferguson schreef: Will warm up involve cheer leaders and if so how will I ensure Wayne Rooney is not distracted or indeed does not end up hitting one of them?
K.
I don't think this will be a problem, since cheerleaders tend to be young and nubile. Definitely not Wooney's type. :xyxthumbs:

Uncle Festa

Bericht door Uncle Festa » vr mei 13, 2005 5:54 pm

Why on earth do we let such raving lunatics as Sir Alex Feguson on here - he should stick to the scum boards. Moderators please do something about this.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr mei 13, 2005 6:09 pm

It's a strange post indeed, but I suggest you calm down a bit, Uncle Festa. Two posts and you're already asking the mods to act against someone, who really did nothing wrong other than posting something odd.

K.
Still alive...

Plaats reactie