General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr feb 13, 2009 8:42 pm

and more
Laatst gewijzigd door SE6Ajacied op za feb 14, 2009 10:04 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr feb 13, 2009 8:58 pm

and still more :blush.gif: :hypocrite.gif:
Laatst gewijzigd door SE6Ajacied op za feb 14, 2009 10:05 am, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za feb 14, 2009 3:53 am

Is this a new way to celebrate goals? A new trend?

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/399891/ ... lpunt.html

It's quite funny and a bit annoying at the same time... :smallgrin.gif: Second time it happens it will only be annoying...

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za feb 14, 2009 10:35 am

Kowalczyk schreef:Is this a new way to celebrate goals? A new trend?

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/399891/ ... lpunt.html

It's quite funny and a bit annoying at the same time... :smallgrin.gif: Second time it happens it will only be annoying...

K.
The best thing about that clip I thought was the commentary which takes me back to when games were not regularly televised and each team had their own "in-house" commentator.

You got some real gems then, totally one-sided and 'unprofessional' but meant the commentary was as entertaining as the game.

martinkohout

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door martinkohout » ma mei 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but what the heck....

With the understanding that Ajax is always number one in our hearts :ajaxscarf.gif: , I'm curious as to which, if any, other clubs the regulars on this board support (we already know about your loyalties, SE6Ajacied!), and why?

For instance, I've always had a soft spot for Fiorentina, because Florence is one of my favorite cities and because I admire Prandelli and the Della Valle administration, who've made such a big deal of sportsmanship.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mei 11, 2009 9:16 pm

mako schreef:Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but what the heck....

With the understanding that Ajax is always number one in our hearts :ajaxscarf.gif: , I'm curious as to which, if any, other clubs the regulars on this board support (we already know about your loyalties, SE6Ajacied!), and why?

For instance, I've always had a soft spot for Fiorentina, because Florence is one of my favorite cities and because I admire Prandelli and the Della Valle administration, who've made such a big deal of sportsmanship.
Barcelona, because they play the stylish attacking football that we used to see in Amsterdam. Also, Manchester United because of a similar style though from a 4-4-2. I like a number of mid-table teams in England hoping they will ride a hot streak and break into the top four. I don't like Arsenal becuase Wenger's policy of pirating underage players by promising them the world and then discarding them when they don't make the grade. also don't like Real Madrid because of their old political ties.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » ma mei 11, 2009 9:40 pm

mako schreef: (we already know about your loyalties, SE6Ajacied!), and why?
:smallgrin.gif: :hypocrite.gif: Really?

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » ma mei 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Orange14 schreef:
Barcelona, because they play the stylish attacking football that we used to see in Amsterdam. Also, Manchester United because of a similar style though from a 4-4-2. I like a number of mid-table teams in England hoping they will ride a hot streak and break into the top four. I don't like Arsenal becuase Wenger's policy of pirating underage players by promising them the world and then discarding them when they don't make the grade. also don't like Real Madrid because of their old political ties.
Yeah, Barca would probably be my number three club - it's kind of Ajax West, anyway - and I feel the same way you do about Real Madrid, even though all that was years ago.

Not such a fan of Man U, though they are just incredible - I sorta think of them as the New York Yankees of European football. (I'm not a Yankees fan, in case you couldn't tell.) And Cristiano Ronaldo is a girlie man, though my wife is really impressed by his waxed eyebrows.

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » ma mei 11, 2009 11:36 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
All I know about Blackpool (the town) is from Funny Bones, quite possibly my favorite movie ever....

Mr_Holte

Bericht door Mr_Holte » di mei 12, 2009 12:30 am

In order:

1. Villa - I have a season ticket so I guess I have to say #1 ! But in recent years I have become very disillosioned with English football. Full of billionaire sugardaddy's throwing money about. Luckily Villa seem to have a good one.

2. England - Almost every Home and Away game!

3. Ajax / Glasgow Rangers. - Ajax. Always admired them from being a kid, remembering the team of 95, and Bergkamp was my hero. Made my first visit when I was 16 as soon as I started to earn money, and have since been going a few times a season. Bit more difficult now I have to pay for Villa European trips tho! Watch most games on Setanta, even if it does mean listening to that annoying Aussie goon...
The Ajax fans were certainly amongst the best we have ever had at Villa Park. Soooo loud for the number they had!
I have vowed to go at least 3 times each season. Great club, with a great history.

Rangers - Family roots. Free accomadation there so usually go a couple of times a season, even if the football is dire it's still a good drink!!

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di mei 12, 2009 12:52 am

For me its Ajax , then Barcelona ( I'm a Barca Socio) in a dead heat with the Philadelphia Union ( we officially learned our name and colors only today). I began to follow Barca due to the Ajax connections and style and Philadelphia Union is my hometown club ( well almost, 10 miles from the stadium presently under construction).
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » di mei 12, 2009 1:12 am

I'll throw in Blackburn Rovers FC as my second favourite, because of family ties...

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » di mei 12, 2009 3:42 am

Blind3 schreef:Philadelphia Union is my hometown club ( well almost, 10 miles from the stadium presently under construction).
So are you also an official SoB?

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di mei 12, 2009 7:25 am

mako schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:
All I know about Blackpool (the town) is from Funny Bones, quite possibly my favorite movie ever....
Hmm, which I've never seen (or even heard of I must admit!).

Anyway, these is for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYVK2wUe7zM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Ch6JZv3CA

Not sure if the Tower is in there but other than that the trams and illuminations pretty much sum up the place.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di mei 12, 2009 10:46 am

My dad took me to Blackpool in the late 1950's ( yes I am the oldest poster here at 58) and I met Stanley Matthews and Stanley Mortensen both Blackpool legends.

On the subject of teams it is Ajax 1st and the only 2 teams I follow in England are both non league
Worthing my local lot and Oxford Utd in the conference. I was born in Oxford will always love the place and I always see what Oxford U do.

If you asked me who my 2nd team is I would answer Ajax reserves .Outside of England the only team I have ever been interested in or cared about is Ajax.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » di mei 12, 2009 2:57 pm

SPL schreef:My dad took me to Blackpool in the late 1950's ( yes I am the oldest poster here at 58) and I met Stanley Matthews and Stanley Mortensen both Blackpool legends.
Nope, I have you beat by three years!!!! :headbang.gif:
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » di mei 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Orange14 schreef:
SPL schreef:My dad took me to Blackpool in the late 1950's ( yes I am the oldest poster here at 58) and I met Stanley Matthews and Stanley Mortensen both Blackpool legends.
Nope, I have you beat by three years!!!! :headbang.gif:
Dang, here I was thinking I was the oldest at a mere 49 (50 in a few weeks)!

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » di mei 12, 2009 4:00 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:
mako schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:
Hmm, which I've never seen (or even heard of I must admit!).

Anyway, these is for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYVK2wUe7zM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Ch6JZv3CA

Not sure if the Tower is in there but other than that the trams and illuminations pretty much sum up the place.
Straying far off topic, but Funny Bones is absolutely brilliant. Well, really weird, too, and a lot of people to whom I've recommended it now tend to cross the street when they see me coming, but I love it. It's about the son (Oliver Platt) of a legendary comedian (Jerry Lewis, whom I loathe, but who is brilliant as an overbearing father), who fails miserably in his Vegas standup debut and flees to Blackpool, where he was born (his father was working there at the time), and where he tries to figure out what's really funny. In Blackpool he also meets various old family friends and discovers various family secrets.

Outstanding supporting cast (Leslie Caron, Richard Griffiths, Ian McNeice, Lee Evans, Oliver Reed, and a great turn by George Carl and Freddie Davies as aging music-hall comedians), and makes good use of the Blackpool setting - including the Tower. Five stars out of five!

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mei 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Houston Dynamo, because I'm a native Houstonian.

PS Go Rockets!
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do mei 14, 2009 7:02 pm

I am indeed an SOB ...Son of Ben . Was there for the Philadelphia Union naming announcement on Monday. Brilliant day to be a football fan in the Philadelphia area. First of many hopefully.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do mei 14, 2009 10:37 pm

:smallgrin.gif: :biggrin.gif: :biggrin.gif:

http://www.leedsunited.com/page/LatestN ... 52,00.html

How do you feel now Simon Grayson?

Leeds v Millwall was always a difficult one to pick as neither are exactly near the top of my favourite teams list but it just had to be Millwall this time......

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr mei 15, 2009 11:18 am

SE6Ajacied schreef::smallgrin.gif: :biggrin.gif: :biggrin.gif:

http://www.leedsunited.com/page/LatestN ... 52,00.html

How do you feel now Simon Grayson?

Leeds v Millwall was always a difficult one to pick as neither are exactly near the top of my favourite teams list but it just had to be Millwall this time......
Amazing that only a few years ago Leeds were in the CL semi-finals. Goes to show how bad management and financial difficulties can impact a club. Another year in the lower division for Leeds fans. Interesting that yesterday's match drew the highest attendance outside the Premier League this season. Leeds fans deserve better!!

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » zo mei 17, 2009 8:27 pm

Blind3 schreef:I am indeed an SOB ...Son of Ben . Was there for the Philadelphia Union naming announcement on Monday. Brilliant day to be a football fan in the Philadelphia area. First of many hopefully.
Dude that stadium looks tight, its nice to see the MLS continue its growth.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di mei 19, 2009 1:28 am

Looking forward to taking my place in the 2000 seat , not that I'll be sitting at all, supporters section . The river to our backs and a gorgeous pitch and 18,500 seat ground to our front .
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do mei 21, 2009 10:46 am

Question for the group....

I have arelatively long commute to work and spend a lot of time listening to podcasts on my iPod.
Football related, the best shows are;
- The Guardian's "Football Weekly"
- The Times' "TheGame"
- BBC 5Live's "Fighting Talk" (sport generally but very funny)

Does anybody have other football related recommendations (Dutch or English language)?

Cheers....

BTW other recommended listening:
- Music and Media: "The Word" Magazine podcast
- Film Reviews: "Mark Kermode" BBC 5Live
- Humour: "The Bugle" from "The Times"
- History: "Hard Core History" by Dan Carlin
- Live Storytelling: "The Moth" Podcast
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Plaats reactie