General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mei 04, 2005 5:48 am

Per schreef:I just watched Liverpool play the "wall"-strategy for 87 minutes against Chelsea and take the semis home...
Two English teams in the semi-final... that's a highlight in the history of English football and something to be proud of.

Too bad that it looked like a confrontation between two Italian sides. I don't remember ever having seen a football game between two English sides that played so negatively. Football at its very ugliest.

And, quite obviously, Liverpool will lose to Milan in the final.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mei 04, 2005 8:26 am

Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
I think the FA are really hoping that as well otherwise, assuming Liverpool finish 5th and Everton 4th they'll have to chose which team is in next years CL - and between those two teams, and there's enough bad blood already on Merseyside (tee hee LOL) ;)
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » wo mei 04, 2005 10:18 am

Carcajou schreef:
Per schreef:So,

I just watched Liverpool play the "wall"-strategy for 87 minutes against Chelsea and take the semis home....

I always had a soft spot for Liverpool and I don't mind them winning, especially not against Chelsea, but to me this is not football worthy of the CL.

I felt the exact same way about Greece winning the EC. I could appreciate them winning and I whish them nothing but the best but the way they did it is simply a slap in the face for people loving football.

So, what do you think guys. Win in fashion and flair or don't win or win at all costs no matter what strategy that lead you there?
Don't even ask... I'm the one who said he would STOP being an Ajax supporter should they sign a donkey like Jan Köller or a ballerin like Inzaghi. Style is what all this stuff is about !!
I knewthat I would get some typical answers like that - since this is an Ajax forum. But I don't really think it's that clear cut. When standing on the terraces....all that philosophy often goes out the door. YOU JUST WANT TO WIN...it's a classic dikotomy (I always wanted to use that word :D )
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » wo mei 04, 2005 10:21 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
I think the FA are really hoping that as well otherwise, assuming Liverpool finish 5th and Everton 4th they'll have to chose which team is in next years CL - and between those two teams, and there's enough bad blood already on Merseyside (tee hee LOL) ;)
Why do they have to choose? Sounds strange to me - but I'm not into the regulation though. I just reckoned that England would have five sides in it then.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » wo mei 04, 2005 6:30 pm

Per schreef: I knewthat I would get some typical answers like that - since this is an Ajax forum. But I don't really think it's that clear cut. When standing on the terraces....all that philosophy often goes out the door. YOU JUST WANT TO WIN...it's a classic dikotomy (I always wanted to use that word :D )
What word ? Dichotomy ?

:argue: :applaus: :poketoungeb:
meh :|

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » wo mei 04, 2005 6:52 pm

Carcajou schreef:
Per schreef: I knewthat I would get some typical answers like that - since this is an Ajax forum. But I don't really think it's that clear cut. When standing on the terraces....all that philosophy often goes out the door. YOU JUST WANT TO WIN...it's a classic dikotomy (I always wanted to use that word :D )
What word ? Dichotomy ?

Next round's on me....but admit you had to look it up in a dictionary :xyxthumbs:

I know the spelling in Swedish :blush:

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » wo mei 04, 2005 7:22 pm

Per schreef:
Carcajou schreef:
What word ? Dichotomy ?

Next round's on me....but admit you had to look it up in a dictionary :xyxthumbs:

I know the spelling in Swedish :blush:
AH AH.... No I didn't (French version of the classic of mathematics is "dichotomIE"). BUT I know that my spelling far from perfect, I wasn't doing anything but a joke :worshippy:
meh :|

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mei 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Per schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:

K.
Why do they have to choose? Sounds strange to me - but I'm not into the regulation though. I just reckoned that England would have five sides in it then.
Apparently UEFA have said that whatever happens, England can only have 4 teams in the CL next year. At the moment it looks like Liverpool will finish 5th, missing out, with the 4th place going to local rivals Everton.......but if Liverpool win the CL and would thus normally qualify for next year, things will get intersting.....apparently UEFA have said it's up to the FA who it's 4 entries are and there is apparently a precedent for this, in Spain a few years back where the CL winners missed out on a place league position wise..............

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » wo mei 04, 2005 9:37 pm

Fucking Italians.

paladinby
Contacteer:

Bericht door paladinby » wo mei 04, 2005 9:49 pm

Whenever i'm asked: why do you like Dutch soccer, i answer coz they play soccer. Whenever i'm asked: why do you hate Italian soccer, i answer coz they play s#cker.

Poor PSV, 2 goals conceded in injury time in 2 matches.

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » wo mei 04, 2005 11:33 pm

GOD I HATE MILAAAAAAANNNNNNN !!!!!!!!! They always pull out the last minute goal trick after 90 minutes of bad play. :furious3:
I hate to say this but PSV showed why there the dutch champions, great display by the lightbulbs its a pity that freaking Milan always have an ace under there sleeve. Jesus this just reminds me of the day we lost in similar fashion to them 3 years ago.

I hope liverpool steals away the cup from them.
BRING IT ON !!!!...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do mei 05, 2005 12:00 am

Its a pity PSV didn't score 1 or 2 last week when they had so many chances. They destroyed Milan over 2 legs, but unfortunately history only remembers the scoreline.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do mei 05, 2005 7:34 am

From bbc.co.uk this morning

"Uefa hits Liverpool's Euro hopes

Uefa has stated it would not allow Liverpool to automatically enter next season's Champions League as holders.
"You cannot change the rule at this late stage of the season," insisted Uefa spokesman William Gaillard.

That means Liverpool, who face AC Milan in this year's final, must now finish fourth in the Premiership to qualify for the tournament next season.

However, Everton are in that position, three points ahead of Liverpool and with a game in hand.

"For future seasons, say from 2006-2007, the executive committee may look to change the rule. But for next season the rule stays at it is," Gaillard told the Daily Mail newspaper.

"The English Premiership has four places and it would be unfair to tell another national association that they have lost one of theirs."

The FA will continue to lobby Uefa for a fifth place for English clubs, but their regulations stipulate that a maximum of four sides from any one country can take part in Europe's elite club competition.

However, chief Lennart Johansson has made it clear Uefa's executive committee do have the power to overrule and enforce any changes.

Uefa will not take any action until after the final itself and should Liverpool win that, a decision would be made at the next executive committee meeting on 17 June."

Oh dear oh dear, what a tiz, now seems the scousers must use the traditional (ie league position over a whole season not just a handful of games) route to qualify for CL next season. X'C X'C X'C ;)

such a shame

Frans

Bericht door Frans » do mei 05, 2005 9:09 am

SE6Ajacied schreef:From bbc.co.uk this morning

Oh dear oh dear, what a tiz, now seems the scousers must use the traditional (ie league position over a whole season not just a handful of games) route to qualify for CL next season. X'C X'C X'C ;)

such a shame
I think if Liverpool win the CL, then the FA can decide between them and Everton about who competes next year. As everyone knows, there is a precedent, with Real Madrid replacing Real Zaragoza as Spain's 4th participant a few years back.

Personally, I think Liverpool should get the spot if they win. Maybe they can come to a deal with Everton, to give them some of the money, which Everton should be happy with as they do not have the class to compete in the CL, and they will get to play the UEFA cup, and get plenty of money from there as well.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » do mei 05, 2005 9:19 am

Frans schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:From bbc.co.uk this morning

such a shame
I think if Liverpool win the CL, then the FA can decide between them and Everton about who competes next year. As everyone knows, there is a precedent, with Real Madrid replacing Real Zaragoza as Spain's 4th participant a few years back.

Personally, I think Liverpool should get the spot if they win. Maybe they can come to a deal with Everton, to give them some of the money, which Everton should be happy with as they do not have the class to compete in the CL, and they will get to play the UEFA cup, and get plenty of money from there as well.
Everton and Liverpool doing a deal on this has as much chance as a snowball existing in a hot oven.
If we roll back time to the mid 80's when Everton had a really good team and were the major force in England their participation in the european competitions were halted because of what happened at Heysel when Liverpool played Juve. This has always irked the Evertonions and I just cannot see them being obliging on this one.
In the past the FA have always bent over backwards to help Liverpool (aka in the early 90's changing the rules at the last second so that they could play in Europe at the expense of Palace) so maybe they will do the same here.
But just remember they have to win the CL first and they have AC Jammy Buggers to beat first - not an easy task.
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Frans

Bericht door Frans » do mei 05, 2005 11:06 am

Frans schreef: But just remember they have to win the CL first and they have AC Jammy Buggers to beat first - not an easy task.
Yeah, Milan should win. But consider this. two years ago, Mourinho won the UEFA cup, then a year later, the CL. Last year, Benitez won the UEFA cup, then a year later......

I wouldn't bet on it, but stranger things have happened.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mei 05, 2005 11:24 am

I am afraid Milan will piss it against Liverpool... Obviously, I will very much support the Reds, but I don't believe they'll make it.

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do mei 05, 2005 11:33 am

Changing the subject slightly....does anyone know if Holland get Uefa ranking points for beating AC Miluck, or just if they had qualified for the final?
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mei 05, 2005 11:49 am

Manneken Pis schreef:Changing the subject slightly....does anyone know if Holland get Uefa ranking points for beating AC Miluck, or just if they had qualified for the final?
The first. Every win counts.

So yesterday was a great night: three points for 'Dutch football' (whatever that may be) and PSV out.

Seriously: I am so glad that they're out. I couldn't stand it if they were in the final. When Ambrosini scored I just smiled: I was thinking back of how much they enjoyed it when we crashed out in 2003. Last minute, totally undeserved to that bunch of f#cking Italian c#nts. They loved it. Now they know what it's like and I must admit: from a 'rival's point of view' it is extremely funny indeed.

What a relief. I thought they were gonna make it.

K.
Still alive...

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » do mei 05, 2005 12:06 pm

I know all that.....and it's really not that I like PSV - but how come the Italians always manage to pull that kind of thing off??

It really pisses me off.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do mei 05, 2005 12:42 pm

Per schreef:I know all that.....and it's really not that I like PSV - but how come the Italians always manage to pull that kind of thing off??

It really pisses me off.
Yeah. Must be some sort of 'quality'.

Allow me to quote David Winner, who wrote two great books about the two styles of football he loves so much: his first book was about the 'neurotic genius' of Dutch football, his second book about the masculinity and the no-nonsense chivalry of British football. Winner was interviewed in a Dutch newspaper a few weeks ago and one of the questions was: "Will your next book be about Italian football?"

Winner's answer: "Italian football is like traffic in central Rome: I don't understand it and I don't like it."

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do mei 05, 2005 12:52 pm

Per schreef:I know all that.....and it's really not that I like PSV - but how come the Italians always manage to pull that kind of thing off??

It really pisses me off.
I watched it with mixed emotions I must say.
a) the result was unjust so that p!$$ed me off.
b) seeing their heart-broken fans was GREAT though.
c) I did feel sorry for Hiddink, who I think is a world class manager and deserved to get to the final. Also I find his unassuming attitude and low key approach a welcome change from the likes of Ferguson and Morinho.
d) I did NOT shed a tear for the players...the Koreans are diving tw@ts, Jan Venegoor looks like Frankenstein, Alex is the most ungraceful Brazilian ever, Van Bommel has an ego the size of Saturn and a big gob e.t.c.....

Oh well.....better out than in..... :xyxthumbs:
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » do mei 05, 2005 1:21 pm

Obviously I didn't like the way Milan made it to the final either, (is it really a coincidence that Italians do this over and over; their national team always manages to get one in in the last minutes of the game) but I can't say I'll be crying if Liverpool lose the final. It's not that Pool have been playing any total football to make it to the final and to be honest I don't really give a shit whoever wins the throphy.

All I want is that the final for once would be entertaining. Minus and Minus makes plus you know, maybe we'll just get one hell of a super-attacking final now then. ;)
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

bryan

Bericht door bryan » do mei 05, 2005 7:11 pm

Liverpool haven't even attempted to win the English league for 15 years, they don't deserve to be in the Champions League, let alone win the thing. They are trying to make a mockery of football.

Forza Milan.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mei 05, 2005 10:17 pm

Here Here to the last post . Nothing against Liverpool but this club were 4th last season and will be 5th this season and they have trailed miles behind Arsenal and Moanure for years.They should not be in the competition.

I still refer to it as the European Cup as you cannot call it a champions league when teams are in it who have never been champions, and the big 3 countries are allowed to have their 4th best teams in it.

Plaats reactie