General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door Orange14 » zo dec 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Atlanta is a pretty nice place to live but it's big in terms of population and size. They play matches in the American football stadium and were drawing crowds of over 60,000. Normal soccer seating is 42,000 but they can use all the seats bringing it up to 72,000. In contrast, my club DC United have brand new stadium but it only seats 20,000. The club set an attendance record this year.

It will be interesting to see how Frank does over here. We have a larger number of teams and there is no promotion/relegation. Like all American sports there is a post-season championship involving the top teams so winning the regular season division is not as important.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo dec 23, 2018 8:33 pm

Do you ever go and watch DC United live?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo dec 23, 2018 8:36 pm

SPL schreef:Do you ever go and watch DC United live?
I try to go to a half dozen matches a season. The team was quite poor for several seasons and Wayne Rooney's arrival changed things around. The general problem with our league is the quality of the football is quite poor in terms of ball movement. The best American talent go to Europe early which is good for their career.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr jan 25, 2019 1:57 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/24/spor ... lands.html is a really nice article in today's New York Times on what is ranked as one of the top 20 rivalries in world football. Apparently it is a destination match for a lot of Euro football supporters.

Maybe Cruijff can figure out a place on the Dutch section to post this; I could not find an appropriate section. I'm sure some of them would enjoy this!!! :smallgrin.gif:

I still think Ajax-Feyenoord is more important!!!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do feb 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Brexit's impact on the Premier League: https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... ier-league

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do feb 14, 2019 8:08 pm

Only real change if we leave EU is that EPL clubs cannot sign any overseas player before their 18th birthday ,this is FIFA law.Obviously EU has freedom of movement thus EPL can sign our 16 year olds.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma mar 04, 2019 1:51 pm

The man who brought us four straight Eredivisie championships, Frank de Boer, is now the manager of the Atlanta team in our top division professional league. He brought his team to Washington last night to play my local club DC United. Atlanta is the defending champion and their former manager Tata Martino now is head of the Mexico NT. DC United won easily on a cold rainy evening 2-0. It will be interesting to see how de Boer does this season.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do mar 07, 2019 8:52 am

Orange14 schreef:The man who brought us four straight Eredivisie championships, Frank de Boer, is now the manager of the Atlanta team in our top division professional league. He brought his team to Washington last night to play my local club DC United. Atlanta is the defending champion and their former manager Tata Martino now is head of the Mexico NT. DC United won easily on a cold rainy evening 2-0. It will be interesting to see how de Boer does this season.
Third defeat in four matches for FdB. Looks like he's heading into the same trajectory as at Inter and Crystal Palace...
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » za mar 09, 2019 8:05 pm

If you think about it, Ajax are setting a new precedence. By inspiring clubs from smaller leagues to emulate them. People look at Ajax's performance, despite what Real Madrid are going through, by all accounts it's impossible to overturn such a deficit. But Ajax turned conventional wisdom on it's head. That is what can wake other football clubs. Not to mention how they changed their purchases of experienced players along with homegrown talents. It's a recipe for those who dare not dream. Now all Ajax have to do is go as far as possible and keep this up in consecutive seasons

SPL

Bericht door SPL » za mar 09, 2019 9:52 pm

I cannot think of another club that has had such a big influence on the game. Milan coach Gattusso wants AC Milan to play like Ajax but admits its in our tradition to play the way we do.

Before they played PSG Man u coach said Ajax result should encourage them to overcome 2-0 .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » wo mar 13, 2019 10:59 pm

All four EPL teams are through to the quarter finals of the CL along with Juventus, Porto, and Barca. Not too many weak teams left. Ajax will have their work cut out for them in the next round but they are fearless!!!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » do mar 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Real Madrid was the biggest club in the competition we will fear no one .

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm

We get Juventus but apart from Porto and maybe Spurs all the other sides left are very tough.Spurs v Man City winners v winners of our game for semis.

We can hope Ronaldo gets injured or is missing as he carries them and is still a great finisher. Anyway we went to Madrid and won so no fears.

After Salzburgs win last night(they were ko'd by Napoli), Austria are ahead of Netherlands in UEFA Coifficients .We need to get a draw to go ahead of them so that the 2019/20 champions qualify automatically for 2020/21 CL

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr mar 15, 2019 12:46 pm

SPL schreef:We get Juventus but apart from Porto and maybe Spurs all the other sides left are very tough.Spurs v Man City winners v winners of our game for semis.
A chance to get some revenge for the PK shootout that Ajax lost in 1996.
After Salzburgs win last night(they were ko'd by Napoli), Austria are ahead of Netherlands in UEFA Coifficients .We need to get a draw to go ahead of them so that the 2019/20 champions qualify automatically for 2020/21 CL
Dutch teams have been terrible in Europa League competition over the past years (other than Ajax's run to the championship two seasons ago). This is the thing that has really hurt the Eredivisie. I think all the qualifying teams went out in their first matches this season.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr mar 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Very strange that UEFA draws the two biggest favorites for the Champions League, Juventus and Ajax already in a quarter final :confused.gif:

kezme44

Bericht door kezme44 » vr mar 15, 2019 5:12 pm

juve it is then. again, not as good as people might think. their center backs are old and slow, and they will struggle with our front 3. i hope the ajax coaching staff watch the atalanta bergamo-juve copa italia game where an offensive atalanta put juve away. another example was the first atletico game, but they got punished in the 2nd game because they sat back. of course the issue will be veltman going against ronaldo. but i believe we can do it :ajaxscarf.gif:

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » vr mar 15, 2019 5:22 pm

We just have to be careful about the last 10 minutes of each half which is when they will put on a big counterattacking push. We have gotten burned this way too often in the past by Italian teams.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » vr mar 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Remember Ronaldo could be suspended for the first game subject to a UEFA investigation

boro'ajax34

Bericht door boro'ajax34 » wo apr 17, 2019 8:22 pm

The way city and spurs are defending our forward players will be having the time of their lives!!

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » wo apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

boro'ajax34 schreef:The way city and spurs are defending our forward players will be having the time of their lives!!

Who can call this defending? :confused.gif: :confused.gif:
Even a bottom table Eredivisie team like De Graafschap showed in Eindhoven against PSV they can do in their defense a much better job than these jokers.

boro'ajax34

Bericht door boro'ajax34 » wo apr 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Both are showing they cannot handle the high pressure defending that ajax will put on them.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo apr 17, 2019 9:36 pm

I like it when Man City and Tottenham let in 3/4 goals and keep attacking its called exciting. When Ajax does it, we're called naive.

boro'ajax34

Bericht door boro'ajax34 » wo apr 17, 2019 9:37 pm

What a great result this will be if Tottenham hold on. Man City much the better team, Tottenham getting away with this big time. Plus son would be suspended for first leg and Kane currently injured :blub.gif:
**plus dele alli has got to be one of the most overrated midfielders I have ever seen

Amol

Bericht door Amol » wo apr 17, 2019 9:40 pm

boro'ajax34 schreef:What a great result this will be if Tottenham hold on. Man City much the better team, Tottenham getting away with this big time. Plus son would be suspended for first leg and Kane currently injured :blub.gif:
Yeah I'm rooting for Tottenham right now.

boro'ajax34

Bericht door boro'ajax34 » wo apr 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Man City have so many match winners in comparison, much rather be facing up to alli and llorente than de Byrne and auguero

Plaats reactie