Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Philippe
Contacteer:

General Football Discussion

Bericht door Philippe » ma jan 10, 2005 4:56 pm

:pukey: :pukey: :pukey: :pukey:

Down with fascism and racism

Bron: guardian

Paolo Di Canioo has been condemned in Italy for giving a fascist-style salute to Lazio fans after his side's victory in last week's Rome derby.
Politicians of all hues criticised the gesture made by the controversial former West Ham, Celtic, Charlton Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday forward, a self-confessed admirer of former Italian dictator Benito Mussolini.

Photographs show Di Canio making a stiff right-arm salute to the Lazio fans at the end of last Thursday's match when he ran underneath them at the North End of the Stadio Olimpico to celebrate the 3-1 win, in which he scored.

Centre-left politician Enzo Foschi said: 'That salute... gives legitimacy to fascism, a murderous and tyrannical ideology. I take my cap off to Di Canio the footballer, but Di Canio the fascist is a disgrace.'

Italy's Minister for EU Affairs, the conservative Rocco Buttiglione, said Di Canio's action 'brings back painful memories for many Italians. Sport should bring people together, but the symbols of that terrible civil war can only divide'.

Few accepted the player's denial that his action was political and insistence: 'I am a professional footballer and my celebrations had nothing to do with political behaviour of any kind.' In his autobiography the trouble-prone Italian said he was 'fascinated' by Mussolini, whom he described as 'deeply misunderstood' and 'basically a very principled, ethical individual'.

Only Alessandra Mussolini, the dictator's granddaughter and herself a far-right politician, appreciated Di Canio's action. 'How nice that Roman salute was. It delighted me so much,' she said. 'I shall write him a thank-you note.'

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » vr feb 04, 2005 11:30 am

Is this a worrying development that may start devastating our youth programme, especially as Braintree Town's push for Europe in the 2011/12 is definetely on? :-

Braintree Town Manager George Borg, in partnership with Navigator Educational and The Football Conference, is setting up a Youth Academy at Braintree Town Football Club. This is designed to assist 16-18 year olds just leaving School, who have the basic football skills.

George, who is a UEFA B licence coach, will personally train the enthusiastic youngsters during the day and prepare them to play in the Conference Youth U19's League. The successful applicants will also have access to an educational programme at a local college.

Among other top non-League clubs who have expressed a strong interest in the development of young players through this scheme are: Halifax Town and Scarborough, along with nearer to home Billericay Town and Bishop Stortford
If you want to play football and gain an academic qualification, this course is right up your street. Please come to Braintree Town's Open Evening on Tuesday 1st March 2005 at 8pm.

For further details please telephone Mark.A.Bundock, Match Secretary, Braintree Town F.C. 07739 847552

:D
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » zo feb 06, 2005 9:47 am

that's what can be called "general football discussion" ... :sad:

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » ma feb 14, 2005 12:01 am

Did I miss something about Van Gaal being AZ coach for the next three seasons ?

Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door 666 » ma feb 14, 2005 6:31 am

Tight...

Code: Selecteer alles

1. Sporting   21 11  5  5  38  46-27
  2. FC Porto   21 10  8  3  38  26-14
  3. Benfica    21 11  5  5  38  33-21
  4. Boavista   21 11  5  5  38  27-25
  5. Sp.Braga   21 10  7  4  37  29-15
Sign your name on
the dotted line:

BPBlueSox
Contacteer:

Bericht door BPBlueSox » ma feb 14, 2005 6:40 am

666 schreef:Tight...

Code: Selecteer alles

1. Sporting   21 11  5  5  38  46-27
  2. FC Porto   21 10  8  3  38  26-14
  3. Benfica    21 11  5  5  38  33-21
  4. Boavista   21 11  5  5  38  27-25
  5. Sp.Braga   21 10  7  4  37  29-15
That's pretty general. ;)

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 09, 2005 10:01 am

My God what a game yesterday night... Chelsea vs Barcelona...

Good Lord. That first half...

K.
Still alive...

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo mar 09, 2005 12:46 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:My God what a game yesterday night... Chelsea vs Barcelona...

K.
Game of the season...shame the forces of darkeness won out in the end.
Van Bronkhurst looked hopeless.
The goalie was definitely impeded for the fourth goal, I assume Morhino won't be complaining this time.....
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo mar 09, 2005 3:22 pm

Manneken Pis schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef:My God what a game yesterday night... Chelsea vs Barcelona...

K.
Game of the season...shame the forces of darkeness won out in the end.
Van Bronkhurst looked hopeless.
The goalie was definitely impeded for the fourth goal, I assume Morhino won't be complaining this time.....
I thought so too, but on further review, I'm not sure that he had any chance whatsoever to get to the ball. But the anti-Chelsea in me wishes it had been called back, if for no other reason than to watch Mourinho turn 16 shades of purple. :headbang:

Nonetheless I thought that was a fantastic game, much better than the drab Milan - ManU affair (all I can say is that the right side lost but the wrong side won). :pukey:

Pretty soon the Chelsea board will have to enlarge Stamford Bridge -- to accomodate Mourinho's massive ego. Yuck.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 09, 2005 3:29 pm

aveslacker schreef:Pretty soon the Chelsea board...
Board? What board? They have no board - they have Abramovich. :yes:
Mourinho's massive ego.
It's a mystery to me. I really, really liked the man when he coached Porto. An 'intellectual'. Very eloquent. Very outspoken. Very realistic, too. But he seems to have turned into a whiner overnight... (it's always the ref's fault and that). How's it possible?

With such a team - and such success... He just doesn't need it.

K.
Still alive...

Feest

Bericht door Feest » wo mar 09, 2005 3:35 pm

Well, in his contract there's a cluase that says Chelsea must win the CL either this year or the next - or Jose is a goner. That's quite a lot of pressure to work with. It might just getting to him a bit.

Or he's just a mastermind and managed to keep the spotlight on him during the build-up of the game. Keeping his team focused and sharp - and ready to jump out to a 3-0 lead in no-time.

Feest

Bericht door Feest » wo mar 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: Board? What board? They have no board - they have Abramovich. :yes:

K.[/quote]

For the record: They do have a board and their chairman is a man called Bruce Buck.

And no, that's not a nick name for Roman Abramovich.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » wo mar 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
aveslacker schreef:Pretty soon the Chelsea board...
Board? What board? They have no board - they have Abramovich. :yes:
Mourinho's massive ego.
It's a mystery to me. I really, really liked the man when he coached Porto. An 'intellectual'. Very eloquent. Very outspoken. Very realistic, too. But he seems to have turned into a whiner overnight... (it's always the ref's fault and that). How's it possible?

With such a team - and such success... He just doesn't need it.

K.
Ko- You're right. I forgot about Abramovich. Better make that stadium even larger... :X

Mourinho just gets to me. I think it is because he epitomizes all the cynical tactics: the shirt pulling, diving, play acting, etc that I hate in parts of the continental game. And he can't seem to handle losing; he's just such a whiny bitch. But I will give him credit - he's clearly a good coach. Like you said - he doesn't need to complain like that.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » wo mar 09, 2005 3:43 pm

What the hell - he livens the game up and gives us all something to talk about etc.
Reminds me of the great Brian clough
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

jakobg
Contacteer:

Bericht door jakobg » wo mar 09, 2005 6:12 pm

Steef schreef: Or he's just a mastermind and managed to keep the spotlight on him during the build-up of the game. Keeping his team focused and sharp - and ready to jump out to a 3-0 lead in no-time.
I think this is exactly what he's thinking. I must say I'm really impressed by the way Chelsea is playing under Mourinho, and I've always had a thing for guys who are (or appear to be) a bit cocky.

As Muhammed Ali would have said: "It's not bragging if you can back it up." ;)
Has anyone seen the Limecat?

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » wo mar 09, 2005 8:47 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:It's a mystery to me. I really, really liked the man when he coached Porto. An 'intellectual'. Very eloquent. Very outspoken.
K.
Then you'll find this interesting....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnis ... 86,00.html

It's an interesting view on Mr Jose.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » do mar 10, 2005 11:22 am

Good news from Europe : Real’s gang of aging pop stars are out.
My hope for the next round is that Juventus chemistry corp plays AC Berlusconi, just to make sure that one of those clubs is out.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do mar 10, 2005 12:58 pm

I am not fond of Mourinho's whining, but the winning I could handle okay. I do believe part of the whining, the quotes, and his being very opinionated are part of a concerted effort to keep the focus, and the distraction, away from his players.I think there is a method to his madness.

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » vr mar 11, 2005 9:56 am

“Bonfire of the vanities leaves Spanish hopes in ashes”

“The side packed with the greatest attacking talents on the planet and they cannot buy a goal. As one dressing-room heavyweight put it: "Our forwards haven't scored in six games. They couldn't score if the goal was a bloody rainbow." “
I would say “most expensive” rather than greatest …….. :D

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » vr mar 11, 2005 12:19 pm

philippe schreef:“I would say “most expensive” rather than greatest …….. :D
Oh come on phillipe....they always look great on those Nike ads....... ;)

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr apr 01, 2005 11:49 am

Just announced on NOS Teletekst: Alan Shearer will carry on for another season... (he's now 34) And if my information is correct Dennis Bergkamp will do the same thing.

The old-timers of the Premiership won't call it a day just yet. And can you blame them? These two still kick major BUTT every weekend... Respect to them.

K.
Still alive...

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » za apr 02, 2005 8:14 pm

Thinking back to the Heerenveen UEFA game, look out for that yob Bowyer in the game against Aston Villa today.....full blown fight on the pitch with his own team mate.:argue:

And we think we've got problems!!
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » zo apr 03, 2005 1:59 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Thinking back to the Heerenveen UEFA game, look out for that yob Bowyer in the game against Aston Villa today.....full blown fight on the pitch with his own team mate.:argue:

And we think we've got problems!!
It looked sp incredibly stupid that I started laughing hysterically. Don't pass me and I'll punch you out! I felt like I was back in fourth grade playing football in recess. :redcard:
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di apr 05, 2005 6:58 pm

I Love the remarks of Newcastle United 's chairman,Freddie Shepherd, about how Bowyer should get down on his hands and knees,etc. He's more forgiving than me.Given Bowyer's disciplinary history,he'd have been cleaning out his locker. And I'd still have fined that clown 6 weeks wages .
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo apr 10, 2005 6:25 pm

Watching Real-Barca. Barca look shite,but Real are making it so.If ZiZu crashing head to post to score is any indication of the effort and emotion of Real, Frank Rijkaard is in for a long day. God, even worse.Fatnaldo has even ended his scoring drought.I think even the Sahara got water since he last scored.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Plaats reactie