General Football Discussion

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: General Football Discussion

Bericht door Orange14 » zo jul 17, 2011 10:49 pm

I thought I was watching the Oranje from the 2000 Euros today. Atrocious penalty taking by the US Women's team in the WC and Brazil in the Copa South America. US let Japan back in the game twice with shoddy defending and then couldn't convert penalties. After showing very little flair and making it to the end of AET at 0-0, Brazil missed all four of their penalty kicks to lose to Paraguay. We now have the co-favorites Argentina and Brazil both out because the could not convert penalties.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » zo jul 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Come on VENEZUELA !!!!
BRING IT ON !!!!...

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » ma jul 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Is it just me who thinks womens football should only be 30mins a half? They all look crackered after about 70 mins! :drecul.gif:

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma jul 18, 2011 9:42 pm

afcajax73 schreef:Is it just me who thinks womens football should only be 30mins a half? They all look crackered after about 70 mins! :drecul.gif:
I was more appalled by the poor midfield play where every other pass was so poor it was easily intercepted (certainly being tired was not a factor for the US as they were quite poor all tournament in this respect and yesterday was their "best" match). I thought Japan had very poor width in general and the couple of times their wingers got out wide they really created dangerous situations. The US was much better with the wide play but the two central midfielders were poor in distributing the ball. I don't remember past US teams being so poor on the ball (though Rapinoe was a delight to see on the left wing, good on the ball and aware of where the goal scorers were). I don't think shortening the matches is the way to go, perhaps an extra day's rest between matches (and the US had one AET match against Brazil the previous Sunday).
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » ma jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

I was watching them thinking, hmm i would fit in on that pitch. I havent played semi pro for years! but back then we were fit enough to last a full 90. I think basically if your going to be at a world cup, you have to atleast be able to play for 90 mins.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do jul 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Weird result in the Copa South America; Paraguay makes it to the final without winning a single match in standard time. They drew all three pool matches and won the two knockouts by penalties. I wonder if this has ever happened before.

afcajax73
Contacteer:

Bericht door afcajax73 » do jul 21, 2011 1:53 pm

I think their team talk was something like the following.. "thats it lads... Flat back ten" :drecul.gif: :drecul.gif:

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » wo aug 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS to Wimbledon for their great start to life in League 2 , 2-0-1, good for six points and fifth place after three matches. Last night , a 0:2 away clean sheet at Plymouth Argyle.

“Underground, Overground, Wombling free,
the Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
the things that the everyday folks leave behind!” :headbang.gif:

Also, very well done to Braintree Town for their emphatic 5:0 over Grimsby Town.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo aug 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Sven Westendorp who was a well known F-Sider, and owner of Ticket Unlimited, and AFCA (nice alternative to the mainstream Ajax wear) died today.

RIP.
Appie, stay strong !

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo aug 17, 2011 10:38 pm

philippe schreef:Sven Westendorp who was a well known F-Sider, and owner of Ticket Unlimited, and AFCA (nice alternative to the mainstream Ajax wear) died today.

RIP.
RIP - not heard of this guy, but the AFCA stuff is certainly nice - got a couple of shirts when I was in Amsterdam a couple of weeks back.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo aug 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Blind3 schreef:“Underground, Overground, Wombling free,
the Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
the things that the everyday folks leave behind!” :headbang.gif:
LOL - thst made me chuckle - one of my favourites from schooldays and now I've got it on DVD to watch with my daughter - did they show ut in the USA too?

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do aug 18, 2011 12:01 pm

This is kind of sad: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... es?cc=5901 The club really tries to play by the rules but just doesn't have the big money to go out and buy players to improve. It furthers the story on the current rot in European football where a handful of teams have unlimited funds and the rest scramble for bread crumbs.

Manneken Pis

Bericht door Manneken Pis » do aug 18, 2011 1:02 pm

philippe schreef:Sven Westendorp who was a well known F-Sider, and owner of Ticket Unlimited, and AFCA (nice alternative to the mainstream Ajax wear) died today.

RIP.
Shot in front of his house apparently.....
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.”

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » do aug 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Don't we need a thread to follow the Youth Champions League?? From those who have an eye on it
May the Force be with you

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Haven't seen anything about Wimbledon in the US beyond the odd "return to the Football League" write-up. I use links on line to keep abreast of the fortunes of the club . Can't claim to have been a supporter in Crazy Gang times . Instead , took notice at relocation to MK , grassroots rebirth at King Meadow, Dons Trust, etc... Just have fallen in love with their history and am seeking to add dvds,etc.. to my collection.

Reminds me a bit of situation in Philly. We had a grassroots support base before we ever had a football club to support.
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr aug 19, 2011 8:45 am

Manneken Pis schreef:

RIP.
Shot in front of his house apparently.....
Hmm - just seen that yes. The AFCA tops are certainly nice though - I wore their version of the home shirt with the 3 stars and 30 on the back around Amsterdam and got asked 2-3 times where I'd bought it from, even by the guy in the Ajax shop at the Arena who sold me my away shirt. I actually got it from one of the tacky tourist shops on Damrak, Grand Bazaar, purveyor of Cannabis t-shirts, wooden tulips and the rather nice AFCA clothing....
Laatst gewijzigd door SE6Ajacied op ma aug 22, 2011 10:23 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.

grachtdog
Contacteer:

Bericht door grachtdog » ma aug 22, 2011 2:50 am

New football season and an updated version of my football results website is up and running. This site shows a heat map of results for each league; a win is green, a draw is black and a loss is red. For just about all web browsers except for Internet Explorer, you can hover over any square to see the date of the game, the opponent and the score. It is kind of a fun way to see what is going on with a league and browse through past matches. There are lots of data for past seasons and the current season is updated on Sunday and Wednesday nights.

I'm just looking for a lot more green squares for Ajax this year... :blub.gif:

http://football.wakeman.dk/more/netherl ... eredivisie

(and linked to at the ajaxtalk.nl Links page: http://ajaxtalk.nl/ajaxtalk_extra/links/ )
XXX

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di aug 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Bigger news than the quake : Braintree Town up to 4th after win at Forest Green Rovers by 0:2 !!! :biggthumpup.gif:
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » do aug 25, 2011 8:47 am

Blind3 schreef:Bigger news than the quake : Braintree Town up to 4th after win at Forest Green Rovers by 0:2 !!! :biggthumpup.gif:
The push for Europe is still on. Glad to see that you are following the Iron Blind3
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » do aug 25, 2011 9:00 pm

It's thanks to you OPH !! Watch the prem , but don't support any of the clubs. Was looking for a club which has got ambition, but yet retains a grassroots appeal. Enter Braintree Town F.C. , which I learned of through you. Also, Sean Marks is one heckuva player. Like AFC Wimbledon for similar reason.

UP THE IRON !!!!
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do aug 25, 2011 9:27 pm

Blind3 schreef:Enter Braintree Town F.C. ,
UP THE IRON !!!!
Well at least they wear the right colour tangerine shirts anyway http://www.braintreetownfc.org.uk/1112Shirt.jpg

Doing very well, excellent result against Grimsby who were an established 2nd level team just a few years ago but not sure how long they will stay there.

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » vr aug 26, 2011 3:29 am

F-word Nioeuws following me on Twitter. No lie. First an earthquake, a hurricane on the way, now this . FFS !!!! I going to start checking the back of my shirts and trousers for KICK ME signs .
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » zo aug 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Any truth to the rumour that North London has been designated a disaster area ? I thought folks in the eastern US were the only ones dealing with power loss (Mine returned 40 minutes ago) . Spurs and Gooners = :-P !!!
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » zo aug 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Blind3 schreef:Any truth to the rumour that North London has been designated a disaster area ? I thought folks in the eastern US were the only ones dealing with power loss (Mine returned 40 minutes ago) . Spurs and Gooners = :-P !!!
A total of 13-3
May the Force be with you

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo aug 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Arsenal have about 90 m euros to spend on players following the sale of Nasri and Fabregas and have so far bid for some obscure Korean from Monaco. and Man U's team were younger today .

Plaats reactie