Ajax Trivia

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » do mei 26, 2005 2:52 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Take a look at these pictures:
http://www.Ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=41817

You know why you should take a look at them? Because it's the last we'll see of our 'heroes' this season. This morning the last training of the season took place at the ArenA training pitches. The summer break has totally and 100% officially started now.

First training of the new season: Monday 04 July.

I will try to take some sort of a summer break as well. For example by spending less time posting to this forum. I know I'm the moderator, so I will keep an eye on things every once in a while, but you won't see as much of me over here in the upcoming weeks (hopefully).

K.
You know you just won't be able to. With all the rumors, transfers and stuff, summer is just THE period where you have to be on the boards....
meh :|

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » ma mei 30, 2005 12:56 am

Mrs. Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper is still alive and kicking!
Dutch widow, world’s oldest person, turns 115

HOOGEVEEN, THE NETHERLANDS, 29 Jun 2005 - Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper turns 115 on Jun 29. It will be the retired needlework teacher’s second year as the world's oldest woman -- and person. The Guinness World Records awarded her the crown in 2004 at the death of the previous titleholder, 114-year-old Ramona Trinidad Iglesias Jordan of Puerto Rico.

There are an estimated 350 to 400 people age 110 or older worldwide. Japan holds the record for the greatest number of centenarians, with more than 2300.

The lifetime of the Dutch woman, who is the biggest celebrity in the northern town of Hoogeveen, links three centuries. She is reported to have a passion for the Dutch soccer team, Ajax Amsterdam.

Her municipality is expected to throw a birthday party for her at her retirement home. When she won the crown, the Guinness press office reported that her health is good and she never spends a whole day in bed.

Though she is the Guinness record holder, the Dutch woman may not be the oldest woman. A Lebanese woman has documents showing she was born in 1877 – making her at least 127 years old in 2005, but her birth records have not been verified to Guinness’ satisfaction.

Guinness World Records collects, confirms and presents information on world records around the world.

(Source: The NewsHead Agency)
Also check these archived news reports on Ajax USA:
http://www.ajax-usa.com/news/00-01/page ... emID=11366

http://www.ajax-usa.com/news/2003-2004/ ... thday.html

Just one question, though... Isn't it a bit early to report about her 115th birthday, one month before the fact? I mean: at that age... I hope she'll make it.

K.
Still alive...

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » ma mei 30, 2005 1:44 am

God bless Mrs.Van-Andel Schipper!! A woman of such fine taste in football clubs and such zest for life should live to 120 at least!
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » vr jun 03, 2005 11:36 am

Finally, the winner of the Cloggie of the Year Award 2004-2005, the one and only Jock Cloggie, has sobered up from his celebrations. He posted his 'thank you speech', but started a special thread for it. I am re-posting it here:
jock cloggie schreef:what can i say!
the first year of the cloggie awards and i missed them.
to my great suprise i some how managed to win two.

i would like to thank all who voted for me.

special thanks goes to pizza5 without his made up stories and little white lies about where i have been and what i was up to i would not a winner today?

i will try my best to keep up the repution that i have been given and i will make every effort to win again next year

cheers

JOCK CLOGGIE
cloggie of the year 2004-05
How moving!

For those who forgot or havent't heard of the Cloggie Awards: here is the jury report in full...
Over Pasanens Head schreef:Yesterday the annual prestigious Cloggie awards were held for the very first time at the spacious Rose’s Cantina in Amsterdam. The list of attendees for this event was as awe inspiring as one would expect for an event of this magnitude. Player of the Year and Talent of the Year will in years to come fall into insignificance when compared to winning a Cloggie.
The compares steering the group through the formal part of the evening were Pizza 5 and Over Pasanen’s Head.
The awards were split into 10 sections with the Cloggie being awarded for the person who has added most to our group over the last season.
I must say that the committee found it very difficult to decide on the winners in each group as all the nominations were of the highest calibre.
The individual awards were as follows:

1.The person most likely to ………….. Scratch His Nuts at The ArenA (an award sponsored by Van der Wanker Scratching Posts for Cats and Dogs)
The nominations were:
· The person in Vak 416 Rij 20 Stool 29
· The Vigo Transvestite
· Micha
The Winner was Micha for his dedication to duty at the De Graafschap Game.

2.The person most likely to …………. Suffer from losing things (an award sponsored by somebody or other – unfortunately I lost the piece of paper that had the name written on it)
The nominations were:
· Ronald Koeman for plainly losing the plot
· Ko for losing his wallet containing season tickets
· Dave Battram’s Dad for losing his ticket in Turin in a matter of seconds
The Winner was Dave Battram’s dad.

3.The person most likely to be ……………. decorating (an award sponsored by Dulux Paints)
The nominations were:
· Baggy for his dedication in trying to reduce the size of his flat by the number of layers of paint he has painted on his walls.
· The Vigo Transvestite for the amount of slap on his face
· Ronald Koeman because he now has f**k – all else to do with his time.
And the Winner was Baggy.

4.The person most likely to ……….. have made the biggest mistake
The nominations were:
· Bertrand for purchasing a season card and then being unable to attend
· Van Eijden for letting Zlatan go rather than his Royal Highness
· Ko for having Rosales 7 on the back of his jersey.
And the Winner was Ko.

5.The person most likely to ………. fall asleep (an award sponsored by GetaGoodNightsKip.com)
The nominations were:
· Anybody who has attended an Ajax home game this season
· Anybody reading a Sir Alex Ferguson rant on the website
· Andy for well just being Andy
And the Winner was Andy for falling asleep anytime and anywhere.

6.The person most likely to …………… foster a good relationship with foreigners.
The nominations were:
· Uncle Festa for his linguistic prowess.
· The F-Side crowd at the Bayern Munich CL away game in attempting a meeting of minds with the local constabulary
· Jock Cloggie for dancing the night away with Sonia and making the earth move for everybody
And the Winner was Mr Lover-Lover aka Jock Cloggie himself.

7.The person most likely to …………… put comb and hair gel manufacturers out of business (an award sponsored by our very own Uncle Festa)
The nominations were:
· Uncle Festa himself
· Dave Battram
· Big John
This one was a very close shave, but Dave Battram was the winner by a neck.

8.The person most likely to ……………… have clocked up the most air-miles (an Award sponsored by Hawaiian Tropic Sun Tan Lotion)
The nominations were:
· Jock Cloggie commuting from Edingburgh
· Dennis Bergkamp on CL duty for Arsenal
· Midzy for all the holidays he has had this season
And the winner was Midzy.

9.The person most likely to ……………….. have eaten all of the pies and burgers and etc during the season (an award sponsored by Slimfast Slimming Aides)
The nominations were:
· Pizza 5 for being unable to walk past a burger outlet without going in
· Over Pasanen’s Head for munching his way through anything that is remotely like seafood
· Big John for his dedication in the amount of work that he has put into becoming Big John.
And the Winner was Big John

10.The person most likely to ……………. say a lot without anybody understanding him
The nominations were:
· Ray for talking so fast
· Over Pasanen’s Head for always talking so fast plus always talking a lot of bo****ks
· Carcajou for umff umff umfff umff
And the Winner was Carcajou

The above were followed by an award that any self-respecting fan should have as an ambition to win sometime during their lifetime service to AFC Ajax.
This was none other than the Cloggie, an awesome trophy that would look at home on anybodies trophy cabinet or alternatively gathering dust under the bed or in the loft.
After much deliberation the Cloggie Committee decided in their infinite wisdom to award this trophy to Jock Cloggie. The reasoning behind this decision was that by his antics at the Munich Beer Festival and by disappearing from his hotel bedroom during the night he had given the group the perfect excuse to constantly take the p*ss out of him for the remainder of the season.

Congratulations to all our winners and bo***ks to all the loses – they will just have to try harder next year.

I believe that the intention is for this event to be really imbedded into the Ajax season and as such members of the committee will be out on the road looking for worthwhile nominations to be included in next years event. So if you have ambitions to win this awesome trophy then be ready to go through hell as this isn’t something that you can just put your mind to in the last few weeks of the season.
My personal thanks goes to my operations team, Pizza 5, for all his hard work in sourcing the individual medals and awesome trophy. Hopefully, photographs of this event will be available soon on the website.
K.
Still alive...

jock cloggie

Bericht door jock cloggie » vr jun 03, 2005 4:29 pm

sorry mate hit the wrong button.

Over Pasanens Head

Bericht door Over Pasanens Head » za jun 04, 2005 9:33 pm

jock cloggie schreef:sorry mate hit the wrong button.
Bet you weren't saying that when you were dancing the night away with Sonia. :D
Well rock and roll is such a crazy drug,
It wraps you up in a great big hug

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

"Happy birthday to you!"

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jun 29, 2005 7:38 am

On May 30 I posted this:
Kowalczyk schreef:Mrs. Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper is still alive and kicking!
Dutch widow, world’s oldest person, turns 115

HOOGEVEEN, THE NETHERLANDS, 29 Jun 2005 - Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper turns 115 on Jun 29. It will be the retired needlework teacher’s second year as the world's oldest woman -- and person. The Guinness World Records awarded her the crown in 2004 at the death of the previous titleholder, 114-year-old Ramona Trinidad Iglesias Jordan of Puerto Rico.

There are an estimated 350 to 400 people age 110 or older worldwide. Japan holds the record for the greatest number of centenarians, with more than 2300.

The lifetime of the Dutch woman, who is the biggest celebrity in the northern town of Hoogeveen, links three centuries. She is reported to have a passion for the Dutch soccer team, Ajax Amsterdam.

Her municipality is expected to throw a birthday party for her at her retirement home. When she won the crown, the Guinness press office reported that her health is good and she never spends a whole day in bed.

Though she is the Guinness record holder, the Dutch woman may not be the oldest woman. A Lebanese woman has documents showing she was born in 1877 – making her at least 127 years old in 2005, but her birth records have not been verified to Guinness’ satisfaction.

Guinness World Records collects, confirms and presents information on world records around the world.

(Source: The NewsHead Agency)
Also check these archived news reports on Ajax USA:
http://www.ajax-usa.com/news/00-01/page ... emID=11366

http://www.ajax-usa.com/news/2003-2004/ ... thday.html

Just one question, though... Isn't it a bit early to report about her 115th birthday, one month before the fact? I mean: at that age... I hope she'll make it.
Well, she made it in good health. Today is June 29th, her real birthday. Ajax Netwerk reports that - just like last year when she reached the tender age of 114 - a delegation of Ajax will visit her.

This lady generates an enormous amound of 'indirect' Ajax promotion, by the way. She is the oldest person in the world and there are press reports in every country in the world on her birthday. All of these press reports mention the fact that she's an Ajax fanatic.

115 years... Born in 1890. She was a grown up woman when World War One broke out (24) and an elderly lady of 79 when The Eagle put Neil Armstrong on the moon... Unbelievable.

It's unbelievable.

K.
Still alive...

Venezuelan Ajacied

Bericht door Venezuelan Ajacied » do jun 30, 2005 1:03 am

Hell she´s older than our beloved Ajax, she was 10 when Ajax was born :worshippy:
BRING IT ON !!!!...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jul 20, 2005 9:47 pm

Today was the traditional 'photo day' at De Toekomst: the day for the press to take team pictures and 'mug shots' of the players. Check 'em out:

http://www.sportfotoside.nl/afs/teamfot ... oto05.html

Rosales and Mitea really had a bad hair day... :D

K.
Still alive...

pizza 5

Bericht door pizza 5 » vr jul 22, 2005 9:45 pm

Were these pictures taken in the arena,have the seats been changed to red and white at last?
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.....

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr jul 22, 2005 11:25 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
Rosales and Mitea really had a bad hair day... :D

K.
What about Heitinga, if I had ears like that I'd wanna grow really long hair to cover them up :D

I think these must be at De Toekompst right? I like the red and white seats as well. :xyxthumbs:
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » vr jul 22, 2005 11:55 pm

I know it's basically a marketing ploy to get people to buy another shirt and it comes with three red stripes but I actually prefer the CL shirt in these photo's which I've only just seen today. Seeing as we're going to have white shoulders again this year I prefer the white neckline as well. :xyxthumbs:

I know this sounds like a sad case of anoraknophobia but I just like to look at the new shirts.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do okt 27, 2005 1:05 pm

Interesting little statistic...

According to the official UEFA Champions League statistics page Ajax have had more possession in the first three games than any other CL participant: 61% ('runners-up' Barcelona had 59% possession so far). Also: we had more shots on goal than any other team in our group, as well as more corner kicks.

So, what does that say...?

Answer: it says absolutely f*ck all, except that our play is alright, but that we can't F*CKING SCORE!

What else is new?

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jan 25, 2006 12:28 pm

Funny... In the New Players thread our good mate Ayman points out (correctly) that the family name of Julian Jenner is pronounced as Yenner for an Englishman or American. The j is normally pronounced as a y in Dutch.

Which made me wonder...

When you people tell family or friends that you support this Dutch football team named Ajax, how do you pronounce it? My impression is that most Brits would pronounce it the Dutch way: Ah-yax or - if you want to do it the 100% Dutch way - Ah-yahks. Americans go for the English pronounciation more frequently, which you could describe as A-djax. The more devoted and fanatical American Ajax USA'ers go for the Dutch/British way, though.

Just curious.

Here's how you prounounce some of the (Dutch/Flemish) players' names in Dutch (the underscored syllable is the one that is stressed).

Stekelenburg = Stay-kuh-lun-burg
Heitinga = High-ting-gah
Vermaelen = Vur-mah-lun[/i]
Emanuelson = Aim-ah-noo-el-son
Lindenbergh = Lin-dun-bearg
Sneijder = Snigh-dur ('Snigh' pronounced as 'high' or 'sigh')
De Jong = Duh Yong
Huntelaar = Hun-tuh-lahr

Also: you all know examples of names that have 'van der' in them. Foreigners normally stress the word 'van' (as in Vandenberg, the rock band). In Dutch the words 'van der' are sort of articles that are not stressed. In 'Van der Vaart' the word 'Vaart' is stressed, so you'd get Van-dur-Vart and Van-dur-Sar.

K.
Still alive...

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo jan 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Anastasiou = Ahnahstahz-ee-oo :X

How about van Gaal : tell our friends how it should be prounounced, Ko
Appie, stay strong !

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo jan 25, 2006 3:06 pm

philippe schreef:How about van Gaal : tell our friends how it should be prounounced, Ko
:D

Tough one, because it has the gutteral Dutch g in it, which people from most other countries can not pronounce. The 'ch' sound in Loch Ness or the Spanish pronounciation of the j in Juanfran comes closest. There are loads of gutteral g sounds in Arabic languages as well.

The funny thing is: for English or American people the best solution is to pronounce it as an English g (as in 'guilt', 'gutter' or 'goal'), That comes much closer than the 'Van Haal' and 'Root Hoolit' attempts they usually come up with. If you want your attempt to sound as Dutch as possible, simply say Gull-it (as in 'seagull') and Van Gahl (as in 'goal').

K.
Laatst gewijzigd door Kowalczyk op wo jan 25, 2006 3:39 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Still alive...

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » wo jan 25, 2006 3:13 pm

philippe schreef:Anastasiou = Ahnahstahz-ee-oo
Mmmmhh I think it's actually Ahnahstahss-ee-oo...

It's a sigma and thus pronounced "ss".

Philippe
Contacteer:

Bericht door Philippe » wo jan 25, 2006 3:29 pm

Mmmmmmmm

Are sure about the way the Dutch pronounce a sigma ? :D

right though
Appie, stay strong !

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » wo jan 25, 2006 4:09 pm

philippe schreef:Mmmmmmmm

Are sure about the way the Dutch pronounce a sigma ? :D

right though
In that case, the way it's pronounced in Holland doesn't really matter, since it's a Greek name ;)

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » wo jan 25, 2006 4:34 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:When you people tell family or friends that you support this Dutch football team named Ajax, how do you pronounce it?
I think it mainly depends of the person we are talking with... I mean : if I discuss of Ajax with a friend using the correct pronunciation, he won't understand me. So I switch the pronunciation in accordance with the nationality of the audience.
But there are some words more difficult than other, and whatever the pronunciation, I'm not understood... :D I can think of FC Groningen for example. :blush:
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

Per
Contacteer:

Bericht door Per » wo jan 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:Interesting little statistic...

According to the official UEFA Champions League statistics page Ajax have had more possession in the first three games than any other CL participant: 61% ('runners-up' Barcelona had 59% possession so far). Also: we had more shots on goal than any other team in our group, as well as more corner kicks.

So, what does that say...?

Answer: it says absolutely f*ck all, except that our play is alright, but that we can't F*CKING SCORE!

What else is new?

K.
Except that now we play like shit.......and score!!!!!
Why do you build me up? BUTTERCUP!

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do jan 26, 2006 12:51 am

Kowalczyk schreef:
philippe schreef:How about van Gaal : tell our friends how it should be prounounced, Ko
:D

Tough one, because it has the gutteral Dutch g in it, which people from most other countries can not pronounce. The 'ch' sound in Loch Ness or the Spanish pronounciation of the j in Juanfran comes closest. There are loads of gutteral g sounds in Arabic languages as well.

The funny thing is: for English or American people the best solution is to pronounce it as an English g (as in 'guilt', 'gutter' or 'goal'), That comes much closer than the 'Van Haal' and 'Root Hoolit' attempts they usually come up with. If you want your attempt to sound as Dutch as possible, simply say Gull-it (as in 'seagull') and Van Gahl (as in 'goal').

K.
So its not just me that wonders why non-dutch speakers replace the gutteral 'g' with an 'h'. I never understood this. saying the 'g' as a 'g' is much closer to the truth.

The other thing I think is funny a lot of Dutch people, when speaking to English speakers say 'Ajax' with an English 'j', yet all the english speakers who know who Ajax are, say Ajax as aYax, like the Dutch.

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » do jan 26, 2006 7:51 am

DanK schreef:
The other thing I think is funny a lot of Dutch people, when speaking to English speakers say 'Ajax' with an English 'j', yet all the english speakers who know who Ajax are, say Ajax as aYax, like the Dutch.
I've always found that everyone knows who Eye-Yacks are and pronounces it accordingly. The only time we're called Aye-Jacks is when people are taking the p*ss and that's normally followed by "Isn't that the bathroom cleaner?".

I too am guilty of van Haal-ism's. I shall look at Ko's correct pronunciations though and try to use them - I wasn't far out on most though.

And guys, the correct way to pronounce Anastasiou is "g-od" ;) :hypocrite:

AsgAarD_xxx
Contacteer:

Bericht door AsgAarD_xxx » do jan 26, 2006 4:58 pm

How, in Dutch, should be pronounce 'Ajacied'?

Arthur

Bericht door Arthur » do jan 26, 2006 5:12 pm

Ah-jah-seed is the closest I can think of, although the 'ee' sound in seed lasts a bit to long, the s is not sharp enough and the d at the end is too soft.
Not much help is it? :D

Plaats reactie