News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Plaats reactie
raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

New beginnings

Bericht door raymon » zo sep 22, 2019 1:01 am

1 September 2003. On this day the very first message on AjaxTalk was posted. Even before the site was properly online and a group of Ajax fans decided to voluntarily spent their time to run a forum.

That’s just over 16 years ago.

At the end of this year our webhost is throwing in the towel and we thought that this was the right time to consider the future of AjaxTalk. After all, the mods are also 16 years older and many of you who are with us from the start also.

A couple of mods, including me have decided to quit the team. Not because we don’t like AT anymore and not because it’s so much work but it is simply the right time to see if we can pass on the responsibilities to a new group of people.

Hence this post and raising the question if any of you is interested to support AT through moderating as well as through a small financial contribution. It’s not a lot of work and it’s not very expensive as long as there are a sufficient number or mods. From the current group 3 or 4 have indicated they are happy to remain in their post.

If you are interested or you have any further questions please PM me.
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

Orange14

Re: New beginnings

Bericht door Orange14 » zo sep 22, 2019 12:59 pm

@raymon - certainly Menno Pot aka Kolwaczyk has been gone from this site for at least a couple of years. I don't know about ajaxusa (I have not seen any recent posts from him). Are the plans to set up a Patreon page for contributions? I could manage that but I'm busy as a MOD on another Dutch football foum over on Big Soccer.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » zo sep 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi Raymond, I hope you find dedicated people, it would be ashame if this section was to retire/go dormant. That said, if it were, the best scenario would be (if Ajax go that far) in the champions league final. What a finale that would be.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma sep 23, 2019 2:05 pm

I'm totally open to supporting this site through monetary contributions. If you can tell us high level the typical things which you end up doing as a mod - we might be able to figure out how much work effort it is.

Another idea is for this group on the English site to mod on a rotational basis - 2 months or a quarter at a time.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Amol schreef:I'm totally open to supporting this site through monetary contributions. If you can tell us high level the typical things which you end up doing as a mod - we might be able to figure out how much work effort it is.

Another idea is for this group on the English site to mod on a rotational basis - 2 months or a quarter at a time.
Judging by two year experience as a MOD over at Big Soccer, this site should require very little. Most of my work has to do with dealing with trolls and profanity. Since Big Soccer encompasses the 'world' and has forums for lots of leagues and teams, it is not uncommon for someone to pop up on the Dutch section trying to troll. I deal with this promptly by deleting those posts and sending a PM to the person responsible. It's also possible to issue both short and long term bans from the forum.

I've never seen any problems over here as we are a relatively small group of Ajax supporters who seldom argue with one another. Certainly we are not plagued by trolls.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

raymon
Site Admin & AT WC 2014 winner, Toto winner 16/17
Contacteer:

Bericht door raymon » ma sep 23, 2019 5:13 pm

Orange14 schreef:
Amol schreef:I'm totally open to supporting this site through monetary contributions. If you can tell us high level the typical things which you end up doing as a mod - we might be able to figure out how much work effort it is.

Judging by two year experience as a MOD over at Big Soccer, this site should require very little. Most of my work has to do with dealing with trolls and profanity. Since Big Soccer encompasses the 'world' and has forums for lots of leagues and teams, it is not uncommon for someone to pop up on the Dutch section trying to troll. I deal with this promptly by deleting those posts and sending a PM to the person responsible. It's also possible to issue both short and long term bans from the forum.

I've never seen any problems over here as we are a relatively small group of Ajax supporters who seldom argue with one another. Certainly we are not plagued by trolls.
Exactly what Orange14 says. I guess on the Dutch side of the forum we have the occasional troll but to be honest it's even rare there these days. I also appreciate it would be difficult to moderate the Dutch side of the forum :smallgrin.gif:

But thanks for your support all of the above, we have a similar response on the Dutch side which is really nice. AT may not be a big site but the people coming here do like it. :biggthumpup.gif:
"De waarheid is een geheel van maatschappelijk geaccepteerde leugens"

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma sep 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Hope this great site continues.On the English side I do remember someone once made a possible racist remark and the other posters had a go at him.Not sure we will need moderating much here .

Being able to discuss this beautiful and special club with fellow English speaking fans is a real pleasure.Long may it continue.

I am not very computer literate but if a moderator is needed for the English site I would consider it.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma sep 23, 2019 7:45 pm

SPL schreef:Hope this great site continues.On the English side I do remember someone once made a possible racist remark and the other posters had a go at him.Not sure we will need moderating much here .

Being able to discuss this beautiful and special club with fellow English speaking fans is a real pleasure.Long may it continue.

I am not very computer literate but if a moderator is needed for the English site I would consider it.
I can tag-team this with SPL and whoever else wants to volunteer. I'm here multiple times a day anyway :blush.gif:

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » ma sep 23, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm happy to help out too, especially if there's a team of mods. I'm 12 hours ahead, which may be a downside in the unlikely event that something bad happens and it needs to be jumped on quickly. Unfortunately it doesn't mean I can mod posts 12 hours before they're posted :)

Plaats reactie