Champions League '18-'19 Group Draw

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Orange14

Re: Champions League '18-'19 Group Draw

Bericht door Orange14 » do aug 30, 2018 7:20 pm

Just when you thought something would be difficult to look up Wikipedia has the answer. Here is the web link for all Ajax Euro competitions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Ajax_ ... n_football
Ajax results against Bayern

1972-73 defeated Bayern in the Champions League quarter finals; Ajax win CL
1980-81 lost to Bayern in the Champions League round of 16
1994-95 defeated Bayern in the Champions League semifinals; Ajax win CL
2004-05 lost one and drew one to twice in the Group Stage

Ajax will be ready to rumble with Bayern!! I still remember the night at home in 2013 when Ajax defeated Barca even while losing Veltman on a Red Card. I'm a believer. :blub.gif:
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » do aug 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Orange14 schreef:Just when you thought something would be difficult to look up Wikipedia has the answer. Here is the web link for all Ajax Euro competitions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Ajax_ ... n_football
Ajax results against Bayern

1972-73 defeated Bayern in the Champions League quarter finals; Ajax win CL
1980-81 lost to Bayern in the Champions League round of 16
1994-95 defeated Bayern in the Champions League semifinals; Ajax win CL
2004-05 lost one and drew one to twice in the Group Stage

Ajax will be ready to rumble with Bayern!! I still remember the night at home in 2013 when Ajax defeated Barca even while losing Veltman on a Red Card. I'm a believer. :blub.gif:

I am stealing this and posting it on reddit Ajax Amsterdam :ajaxsmiley.gif: . I am AjaxUKfan there! I notice, judging by some of the posts here, some of you guys are also on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/AjaxAmsterdam/new/

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » do aug 30, 2018 9:56 pm

2018-19 fixtures for Ajax.
Match day 1 Home vs AEK Athens
Match day 2 Away vs Bayern Munich
Match day 3 home vs Benfica
Match day 4 Away vs Benfica
Match day 5 Away vs Athens
Match day 6 Home vs Bayern Munich

If we put the away match against Bayern aside, Ajax can potentially have 13 points, that is enough for qualification for the knock out stages, and potentially for topping the group!
https://twitter.com/Jon_LeGossip/status ... e-fixtures

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr aug 31, 2018 11:53 am

We are certainly favourites for 2nd place. We have at present 17 first teamers with only Dolberg likely to get fit shortly.

Not sure we can cope with 2 or 3 key injuries with 2 games a week .

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr aug 31, 2018 12:42 pm

Here are the odds for all the CL teams from the US stat website The 538: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... ns-league/ You can click on any of the headers and change the rankings which is pretty cool. I think they have underrated Ajax's possibility of making the finals! :ajaxscarf.gif:
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Amol

Bericht door Amol » vr aug 31, 2018 4:25 pm

SPL schreef:We are certainly favourites for 2nd place. We have at present 17 first teamers with only Dolberg likely to get fit shortly.

I've been on my soapbox about this for the last month. Ten Haag needs to continue to rotate the squad. He's already doing better than Bosz in this respect.

I was out at the US Open yesterday, but was constantly on twitter trying to see how the groups get stacked up. I'm very pleased with what we have this year.

AEK and Benfica should be beatable and we can test ourselves against Bayern. They do have a new coach and Robben (34) and Ribery (35) aren't exactly spring chickens anymore.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr aug 31, 2018 8:06 pm

Amol schreef:
SPL schreef:We are certainly favourites for 2nd place. We have at present 17 first teamers with only Dolberg likely to get fit shortly.

I've been on my soapbox about this for the last month. Ten Haag needs to continue to rotate the squad. He's already doing better than Bosz in this respect.

I was out at the US Open yesterday, but was constantly on twitter trying to see how the groups get stacked up. I'm very pleased with what we have this year.
Ah cool! :biggthumpup.gif:
The crowd at the US Open is very loud compared to some other tennis tournaments but that's great sport in a great entourage.

True about Bosz and his lack to rotate the group. After the 120 minutes away at Schalke he failed to bring in a fresh squad for the away game in Eindhoven and the title was blown away that afternoon.
Amol schreef:AEK and Benfica should be beatable and we can test ourselves against Bayern. They do have a new coach and Robben (34) and Ribery (35) aren't exactly spring chickens anymore.
I like the order of the playing schedule. Opening away against AEK, that should be a clear win. Let's hope Bayern directly opens with a good away victory in Lissabon and then in the second game let's see what we can co in Munich when the Bayen Munich - Ajax game is at the same moment as the famous Oktoberfest. :neutral.gif:

Away in Lissabon Ajax should try to go for 1 or 3 points and the 6th and last game in the schedule is at home at Bayern so who knows how many players they rest and how strong Ajax can be in a packed and cracking Arena.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr aug 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Although I always expect Ajax to win every match, I think a great result would be four wins and two draws. Ajax have played Benifica five times in Euro competition with a record of 3-1-1. Last time was 1972 in the semifinals of the CL won 1-0 and drew 0-0

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » vr aug 31, 2018 10:20 pm

Orange14 schreef:Although I always expect Ajax to win every match, I think a great result would be four wins and two draws. Ajax have played Benifica five times in Euro competition with a record of 3-1-1. Last time was 1972 in the semifinals of the CL won 1-0 and drew 0-0
And for old Ajax fans the most memorabel of all is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS-AvnMdE2k

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za sep 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Cruijff schreef:
Orange14 schreef:Although I always expect Ajax to win every match, I think a great result would be four wins and two draws. Ajax have played Benifica five times in Euro competition with a record of 3-1-1. Last time was 1972 in the semifinals of the CL won 1-0 and drew 0-0
And for old Ajax fans the most memorabel of all is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS-AvnMdE2k
That was just a couple of years before I started following Ajax. Ajax were the first Dutch club to make it to the finals of the CL losing to Milan in the finals 4-1. Feyenoord began a four year run of Dutch champions the very next season defeating Celtic and then the great three year run of Ajax!!!

1970s were interesting in that every season saw a repeat winner of the CL. Bayern three straight after Ajax, then Liverpool twice and to wrap up the decade Nottingham Forrest twice.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » di sep 04, 2018 1:07 am

Orange14 schreef: 1970s were interesting in that every season saw a repeat winner of the CL. Bayern three straight after Ajax, then Liverpool twice and to wrap up the decade Nottingham Forrest twice.
Yup.
Interesting stuff is that Notthingham Forest won the Europa Cup twice and the British league only once. When winning the European Cup in 1979 they were able to defend their title in 1980.

And Atletico Madrid is the only team who won the World cup for clubs without winning the EC 1. They played for this cup because Bayern Munich refused to get some certain injuries during a battle with a team from South America.

Also Ajax didn't want to play for this World Cup in 1971 and 1973. Because Feyenoord had bad experiences with their two games against Argentinian side Estudiantes the Ajax doctors thought it was not a good idea to travel to South America for this.
A year later the Ajax board had the opinion this trophy belonged in our trophy cabinet and Independiente looked like a more reliable opponent. In 1973 we refused to play again. So after beating Brazilian side Gremio in Tokyo in 1995 we have this prize two times on our list while it could have been four wins. :ajaxscarf.gif: :ajax.gif:

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » ma sep 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Ajax submitted its 37 player roster to UEFA for the upcoming CL group matches. In addition to the usual suspects (senior team regulars) the squad also includes Defenders: Bakker, Bakboord, and Botman; MFs: Matusiwa, Lang, Ekkelenkamp, and ........... Ryan Gravenberch (16 years old right now); Forwards: Nunnely & Johnsen (already played a senior match). Long term injured players: Veltman, Bande, Sinkgraven, were also named.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » ma sep 10, 2018 10:46 pm

I will be watching the home matches in the stadium together with father Matusiwa so nice that's his son is on the list.

I'm pretty confident about our chances in this group. The order of the playing schedule is perfect. After the first 3 games Ajax should have 6 points.
Playing AEK Athens away in the 5th game and Bayern Munich at home in the 6th and last group match is the best you could wish.

Would be a pity though if instead with a solid 3-0 victory at home against AEK we would open with a draw against these Greek lads.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » ma dec 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this, so posting here. Maybe one of the mods can change the title to this thread to "Champions League '18-'19"

Project 538 now has us as the 7th favourite (6% chance) to win the CL this year.

Amol

Bericht door Amol » do dec 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Draw takes place at 12pm CET on Monday December 17th. Ajax can face one the following 7 group winners -
Barcelona (ESP, Group B)
Borussia Dortmund (GER, A)
Juventus (ITA, H)
Manchester City (ENG, F)
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA, C)
Porto (POR, D)
Real Madrid (ESP, holders, G)

According to Project 538, we have now slipped from 7th favourite to the 8th favourite to win it all.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do dec 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Amol schreef:Draw takes place at 12pm CET on Monday December 17th. Ajax can face one the following 7 group winners -
Barcelona (ESP, Group B)
Borussia Dortmund (GER, A)
Juventus (ITA, H)
Manchester City (ENG, F)
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA, C)
Porto (POR, D)
Real Madrid (ESP, holders, G)

According to Project 538, we have now slipped from 7th favourite to the 8th favourite to win it all.
I suspect that the reason Ajax slipped is that there is a 25% chance they will draw Man City. Man City cannot play the three EPL teams that finished second or Lyon because they were in the same group. This leaves Ajax as one of four possible opponents. As I noted, Ajax are going to have to beat a couple of really good teams to win the CL and they might as well do it in the first round. Remember Ajax did well against Man City about six years ago in the CL Group stage when they won at home and drew away. Of course this version of Man City is a much better club.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » do dec 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Man city put on a lackluster performance in the group stages. Scrapping a 2-1 at home to Hoffenheim in their last game. I hope that the premier League tightens by the time we get to February, if they are drawn with Ajax

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » do dec 13, 2018 10:39 pm

In can be an advantage to start with a home game against these kind of opponents.

When starting with an away match there is a chance you lose and can't repair the score anymore. In a home match Ajax can surprise many teams and take a lead of 1 or 2 goals.

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » vr dec 14, 2018 12:41 pm

@Cruijff agreed, especially if you can avoid conceding at home. Then the opponent is always walking an away goal tightrope in the second leg.

Ayman

Bericht door Ayman » vr dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Tom_ schreef:@Cruijff agreed, especially if you can avoid conceding at home. Then the opponent is always walking an away goal tightrope in the second leg.

I don't understand why everyone wants Porto! They would be much harder than Benfica! Plus if you follow them, they are effective but a bit boring, they are the PSV Eindhoven of Portugal. I would prefer Real Madrid or Man city.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr dec 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Ayman schreef:
Tom_ schreef:@Cruijff agreed, especially if you can avoid conceding at home. Then the opponent is always walking an away goal tightrope in the second leg.

I don't understand why everyone wants Porto! They would be much harder than Benfica! Plus if you follow them, they are effective but a bit boring, they are the PSV Eindhoven of Portugal. I would prefer Real Madrid or Man city.
I actually think Madrid are the weakest possible opponent. they are an aging team with a manager who has no clue about what to do. Their performance in La Liga has been lukewarm at best and they have not dominated CL matches.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » ma dec 17, 2018 9:55 am

The odds on getting which draw today:

City = 20,80%
Dortmund = 13,96%
Barça = 13,57%
Real = 13,48%
PSG = 13,30%
Juventus = 13,18%
Porto = 11,71%
Bayern = 0,0%

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Man city and Juve are avoided

SPL

Bericht door SPL » ma dec 17, 2018 12:23 pm

We play Real Madrid ,bring them on we wont fear them . I was following the draw and it got down to Porto and Real either would do.

Real v Ajax no bigger names in the history of the CL.We are back where we belong.

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Bericht door Cruijff » ma dec 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Wednesday 10 February Ajax - Real Madrid, Tuesday 5 March Real Madrid - Ajax

Plaats reactie