World Cup 2014

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

souras84

World Cup 2014

Bericht door souras84 » do jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Predictions, trivia, match discussion and everything else in this post?!!
May the Force be with you

Cruijff
AT Toto winner 14/15

Re: World Cup 2014

Bericht door Cruijff » do jun 12, 2014 4:13 pm

My prediction: the Germans will be eliminated in the group stage. Portugal and the United States will be too strong for them.

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » do jun 12, 2014 5:04 pm

My father, who was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, moved to the U.S. in the early '50s, and I used to go down with him every year to visit his parents. They died many years ago, and I haven't been back since, but I've still gotta go with Brazil. (My mother was born in Italy, so I can always fall back on the Azzurri if Brazil crashes out; I was too young to know what was going on when Brazil beat Italy in the 1970 final, but I do remember having mixed feelings in 1994.)

We happened to be on a family trip to Italy with my father and stepmother during the 2002 World Cup and watched the final (Brazil v. Germany) in a little cafe in San Casciano, south of Florence. My then-13-year-old son wore his Brazil jersey and taped up a bunch of handmade signs on the walls; when Brazil scored, he ran around the place yelling "Goooooooal!" The proprietor and other patrons were not all that amused; apparently, in the spirit of European solidarity, they were pulling for Germany.

Thanks for indulging my sentimental memories!
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » do jun 12, 2014 8:23 pm

What about Belgium vs. Chile in the final? ;)

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » do jun 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Dutch to win 7 straight and their first WC trophy!

(more realistically will do well to get out of the group)
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr jun 13, 2014 10:59 am

Well I have posted many times when it comes to WC and Euros my love affair with Oranje kicks in. I would love to see Oranje in the final and KJH score the winning goal.

In reality getting out the group could be tough and finish 2nd and its Brazil in the last 16.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr jun 13, 2014 11:27 am

After yesterday's opening match I hope the officials have better days than Mr. Nishimura. Some really bad calls that you don't even see from Eredivisie referees.
Appie Nouri will forever be remembered for his grace and humanity on and off the pitch!

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » vr jun 13, 2014 11:41 am

It was pretty bad. I also thought there may have been a foul in the buildup to Brasil's third goal but the station I was on never showed a replay. Anyway, with Neymar's lucky mis-hit shot and the non-penalty plus the ankle tap at the other end, they were pretty lucky to get out of it with 3 points; only the first game but they'll want to be better in the knockout rounds!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » vr jun 13, 2014 12:50 pm

@Tom - saw the replay of the third goal and yes, Ramires should have been called for a foul on the play and the goal should not stand. That's pretty much the consensus on the Referee forum over at Big Soccer as well. Even Baj Nuihuis and Pieter Vink would have called that one correctly! :drecul.gif:

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr jun 13, 2014 1:06 pm

It was very nice of you martinkohout! I hope you one day visit Brazil!

The ref was indeed very bad last night. FIFA sometimes favours the hosts. Let's hope for sweet revenge against the Spaniards tonight!

King Litti

Bericht door King Litti » vr jun 13, 2014 3:40 pm

He did have his hands on his shoulders, but I am certain that a man build like Fred could have kept his balance, but he saw his chance and took a dive. Disgraceful. Really hope that if Brazil succeed they do so by playing well and not because the refs favor the hosts. This brought back painful memories of South Korea in 2002 WC when they cheated their way to the semis. I suppose Brazil is almost ready to do anything to correct the loss to Uruguay in the final of Brazil WC in 1950.

Hope Oranje can make an impact. I guess people aren't expecting them to do that well this time. Hope this will ease the pressure and give them a boost to show the world Holland is undoubtedly one of the greatest footballing nations. Also hope for new superstars to be born from the squad. Preferably Blind, Cillessen and Veltman!
"We're on a mission from God."

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr jun 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Cillessen and Blind are starting . Not sure we will see much of Veltman as V Gaal favours a back 4 of 3 Fworders plus Vlaar an ex Fworder.

Would be great to start with a win but Spain are still one of the favourites

martinkohout

Bericht door martinkohout » vr jun 13, 2014 9:54 pm

5-1!?!?!? Iker Casillas looked pretty rusty, but still....

Thought Blind did really well.
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." —Robert Bloch

SPL

Bericht door SPL » vr jun 13, 2014 10:16 pm

What a great performance by the Oranje, it should have been 7or 8 .V Persie and Robben are still world class finishers and today they were on fire. BBC guys made our Daley MOM. Wouldn't disagree, he had a superb game going forward with some brilliant passing and setting up 2 goals. Cillessen a good game . Hard to believe he and Veltman started the season in Jong Ajax.

A great night for the Dutch ,showing they are still a very special nation in producing magical football.

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » vr jun 13, 2014 10:37 pm

I'm speechless. Partially because i was screaming so loud after the goals :) I don't know how to go sleep now..
What a revenge :excited.gif: :headbang.gif:

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » vr jun 13, 2014 11:00 pm

R E V E N G E

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » za jun 14, 2014 1:21 am

How about that eh? I thought it was going to be the same old story after that penalty

Amol

Bericht door Amol » za jun 14, 2014 3:00 am

My voice is a little hoarse after all the screaming from today. Total and complete revenge.

The penalty was incorrect and the Dutch could've converted 2-3 more chances. I hope Diego Costa gets punished for his head butt on BMI.

Youth and inexperience beat an old, tired and cynical team.

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » za jun 14, 2014 5:31 am

Game started at 3 AM here -- originally wasn't going to watch it that late as they were showing it on replay later in the day, but couldn't resist -- went to bed early and got up for the kickoff. The phony penalty (Costa actually stuck his leg way out to the side to make sure there would be contact), plus the way the game had been going up to that point, left me feeling pretty pessimistic. Never expected the game would change so dramatically -- it was astonishing the way Spain just fell so totally apart in the second half. We can be proud of the way the Ajax contingent acquitted themselves. Cillessen was cool and competent throughout, and Daley Blind played a blinder.

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » za jun 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Van Gaal remains one of the best tactical managers in all of football. Everyone was questioning his move away from the traditional 4-3-3 but he figured that he didn't quite have the necessary players to implement it. Other than de Guzman who really wasn't very good the other Dutch players all performed well. Good to see Cillessen come up with the big save against Silva to keep the scoreline at 1-0 and allow Van Persie to get the tying goal at the end of the half. Daley Blind continues to impress (will he move abroad this August? I really hope not).

Let's hope the NT keeps their wits about them and treat each match one at a time. Michael Ballack was cautionary in an ESPN roundtable this morning noting that teams peaking in the first match don't have anywhere to build to. I suspect Van Gaal won't let this happen.

souras84

Bericht door souras84 » za jun 14, 2014 10:19 pm

I hope Frand de Boer saw this match. I believe he understands that the current Ajax plan (poor mans Spain), is dead. Clever managers will tear us apart!!

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo jun 15, 2014 11:00 am

A very ordinary Italy beat an even more ordinary looking England. Rooney is always hyped up but is not world class
and has never performed on the World stage. The back 4 are poor and no better than the 4 F worders in the Dutch defence.I think the F worders looked better!

Orange14

Bericht door Orange14 » zo jun 15, 2014 1:34 pm

souras84 schreef:I hope Frand de Boer saw this match. I believe he understands that the current Ajax plan (poor mans Spain), is dead. Clever managers will tear us apart!!
I think if FdB had van Persie and Robben on the Ajax roster he would surely adopt different tactics. :blub.gif:

Tom_

Bericht door Tom_ » zo jun 15, 2014 2:46 pm

It's a good point though. LvG deserves at least SOME credit for getting a result like that with an inferior squad. Spain had a bad day and there was some luck involved, but basically he was right when he decided he didn't have the players to keep the ball and chose to play press/counter... something FdB would never do, it seems?

rjf1

Bericht door rjf1 » zo jun 15, 2014 5:36 pm

You're making it sound like the style he (LvG) chose was a necessary, but not preferred, alternative to the pitty pat style -- which I don't believe at all. I believe that the style that was played was what he came up with to specifically defeat the pitty pat style. He, like just about the rest of the football world, has figured out that pitty pat is a relic of the past, and that even teams from the bottom of the Eredivisie have figured out how to play in such a way as to overcome it. I only hope that for next season Frankie wakes up to what the rest of the football world has come to realize. Otherwise, I'm afraid it might not be another happy season.

Plaats reactie