Jurgen Colin

News and discussion

Moderators: ajaxusa, Kowalczyk, mods

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Thirteen years after winning the Champions League my beloved club continues to amaze me. In a slightly different way, I might add. I'm flabbergasted.

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di mar 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Before Ko has a go at me I am aware he will only be a standby in case Silva is injured. The only other right back on our staff is Yildirim, who has played at that position for the reserves for nearly 2 seasons now.If Yildirim is given a new contract he will need to be loaned out as he cannot just spend another year in the reserves. Thus we do need a standby rightback and Colin has experience and will be cheap.

PS Yes Ogararu is here but he will go in the summer and will certainly not stay as a standby.

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » di mar 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Colin have experience, sure, but a bad one... :blush.gif:

I still don't understand this : the guy is now always on the stand, almost hated by many supporters, did some costly mistakes, and Ajax extend his contract. Even the player doesn't seem to understand this decision, this means something...

Maybe Ajax hope to sell him this summer ? For me, it's the most reasonable explanation, but I wonder which club will want to pay for him... If it's just for cover, a 17-year-old can do his job.
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » di mar 25, 2008 4:47 pm

Yeah I don't get it either. We need new (read better) players in defense. He's shown some improvement, but he's still hardly the quality, even as a reserve, that we should have in defense. Like others have speculated, all I can think the club is doing is securing him as a reserve for Silva. That should be as big of a role he plays, and only as an emergency unless he's improved more than any of us know.

I can't imagine the extension was so that he could be sold, but who knows the details other than the club and his agent. I can't imagine a second-tier English defender and Ajax bench warmer who has done poorly when given chances, would be in demand.

More than anything I hope it's not a sign of things to come. This is an example of what management has been doing for the last few years, and it's not going to do anything to turn things around.

ajaxperu

Bericht door ajaxperu » di mar 25, 2008 5:12 pm

is this official? or just a rumour? I can't believe it, I wish it's an april fools (in march). :confused.gif:
"We knew exactly how Ajax were going to play...but there was no way we were ever going to win"

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » di mar 25, 2008 5:44 pm

He watched just as many Ajax games from the stands as me, this season...

They're just giving him a free season-ticket for the next two seasons... :smallgrin.gif:

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » di mar 25, 2008 6:56 pm

My original comment was mild compared with some others.

I made my reasoned arguement that we need an experienced reserve but if Silva was out for say 2 months I would not want Colin playing for that amount of time.I would not want him playing one game!!

Ajax should have given a bit more thought to next season and sent Slinjgard and Yildirim out on loan back in January.They both have had a lot of reserve football and should now be on loan playing and getting experience.
We would then have 2 young standby fullbacks for next season , both with
some first team footy behind them.

After all our only left backs are Vertonghen, who is Ok but is not a proper full back, and Urby who should stay as a midfielder.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mar 25, 2008 7:50 pm

Does anyone think that the club consulted with van Basten about this?

Can't imagine he'll be too thrilled to hear about this.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

peter
Site Admin & Toto winner WC 2006, EC 2008

Bericht door peter » di mar 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Marco van Basten is the reason for his extension. Ajax consulted MvB and he insisted on extending the contract of Jürgen Colin.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mar 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Peter schreef:Marco van Basten is the reason for his extension. Ajax consulted MvB and he insisted on extending the contract of Jürgen Colin.
Wow. I wonder what Marco's thinking was.
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

peter
Site Admin & Toto winner WC 2006, EC 2008

Bericht door peter » di mar 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Maybe he was a good bloke sitting next to in the Arena.

No, I really don't have a clue what the reason is. Perhaps it is because he's cheap and usable as a backup for more than one position.

aveslacker

Bericht door aveslacker » di mar 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Peter schreef:Maybe he was a good bloke sitting next to in the Arena.

No, I really don't have a clue what the reason is. Perhaps it is because he's cheap and usable as a backup for more than one position.
How much will they pay him?
AFC Ajax
Landskampioen
2013-2014

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di mar 25, 2008 8:59 pm

aveslacker schreef:
Peter schreef:Maybe he was a good bloke sitting next to in the Arena.

How much will they pay him?
Well, seeing as they went through his agent and not him I would guess that it's pretty much the same as he's already on (do we know that??) plus any contractual bits and pieces about retained players.

Interesting move this. I suspect it is only as cover but is it only the amateur psychologist in me that thinks it could also be a case of MvB asserting his authority, both behind the scenes and to the fans? I don't expect many people at Ajax wanted to re-sign Colin so it's a good way of pushing through HIS decision, and with relatively little risk of it blowing up in his face (Colin is content to bench-warm, won't cause trouble and, even if he does play, and badly it'll be because others are out injured and that'll be blamed for any slip ups).

I just wonder...... :confused.gif: [/b][/u]
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Cedric
Contacteer:

Bericht door Cedric » wo mar 26, 2008 8:33 am

SE6Ajacied schreef: Colin is content to bench-warm
I'm not too sure about this : "On the one hand I am happy that Ajax has confidence in me, on the other side I hope that my situation will soon improve."

I don't think he would say to the media that he is happy to be on the stand, but still...
"Geef Ajax z'n goede reputatie terug!"

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo mar 26, 2008 9:10 am

Cedric_AeF schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef: Colin is content to bench-warm
I'm not too sure about this : "On the one hand I am happy that Ajax has confidence in me, on the other side I hope that my situation will soon improve."

I don't think he would say to the media that he is happy to be on the stand, but still...
Perhaps the term should have been RELATIVELY content to bench-warm. I still think that whatever happens MvB can't really lose on this one.

P.S. Have put my italics in capital letters instead. The bold/italics/underline maker seems to have gone a bit mad. (or perhaps it's me :blush.gif: )[/i]
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo mar 26, 2008 11:20 am

It appears that our mate MvB gave his approval... He appears to have faith in Colin and Kennedy (the latter I can understand).

K.
Still alive...

Van basten

Bericht door Van basten » wo apr 30, 2008 11:01 am

Colin Pays The Price At Ajax

Two days ahead of their first Eredivisie play-off meeting with Heerenveen for a place in next season’s European Champions League, Adrie Koster degraded Jürgen Colin to Ajax’s youth squad after his recent critical remarks on the club.
»Comments (1) Print This Story Send To A Friend Contact Us
galleria zoom “Ajax seem like a fantastic club, but only if things go well. Internally everything is in massive disorder,” the 27-year-old right back had told De Telegraaf last Saturday.

The former PSV Eindhoven, Genk and Breda man was signed from Norwich City for just 150,000 euros last summer and has played in a total of 16 games this season. But although his contract was recently extended up to mid-2010, he lashed out at Koster while praising next coach, Marco van Basten, who was the one who insisted on his stay.

Rules broken

And the same newspaper reports today that Colin has been provisionally sent to train with Jong Ajax and also handed a fine as a result. “There is a number of rules and he didn’t comply with them. I always explain to every player why they’re not playing,” Koster told reporters in a press interview today.

While Edgar Davids reflects in another interview with Voetbal International magazine to be published tomorrow that player motivation against lesser opposition is a major Ajax problem, both he and his team-mates will certainly have something to fight for when they visit Heerenveen on Thursday.

Worthy opposition

The Johan Cruijff Schaal holders have inflicted four straight defeats on De Superfriezen, with no less than 19 goals scored overall in those matches. “Games against them are always spectacular, mainly because both sides play attractive football,” Koster said. “And I now expect another open game. Heerenveen are worthy opponents to Ajax, but so are we to them.”

Besides Colin of course, the 53-year-old interim coach will also miss Thomas Vermaelen, Erik Heijblok, Laurent Delorge and Gregory van der Wiel, who have all been ruled out.

Sulejmani out?

But Gertjan Verbeek has problems of his own, as Miralem Sulejmani, one of Heerenveen’s best players – and a reported Ajax target – will probably miss Thursday’s clash because of a knee injury. The 19-year-old Serbia international of Gorani heritage has been voted as the 2007-’08 Eredivisie Talent of the Season after scoring 16 times and setting up at least another 11 goals for his team-mates in 38 outings.

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » wo apr 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Seemed like Colin's comments were out of frustration, more than anything, but regardless are something he shouldn't have shared with the media. I don't think Colin is a very good player (and neither does Koster apparently), but that's not the way to get playing time.

We need defensive help, and I'm not sure he's good enough to make a difference, but I think he's done for until next year, and my hope is that we won't need him because we've strengthened the defense over the summer. Punishment seems fitting given the situation and his talent.

That Davids interview may be interesting, though I don't think he's saying anything we don't already know regarding not being motivated against lesser teams. I think that is almost as big of a problem as anything on the field.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo apr 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Not beating VVV or Excelsior just before the christmas break cost us the title.Games like those should always be 3 pointers.
Davids has a point.

Back to Colin I just hope Silva does not have many injuries or suspensions next season.

SPL

Bericht door SPL » zo jun 15, 2008 6:50 pm

Ten Cate wants to take him to Greece. Can he please take Luque as well !!!!

gordonvandekamp
Contacteer:

Bericht door gordonvandekamp » zo jun 15, 2008 7:10 pm

SPL schreef:Ten Cate wants to take him to Greece. Can he please take Luque as well !!!!
I seriously hope that happens. We didn't need them here when ten Cate brought them. It should be a pleasure to let him take them away. :ajaxsmiley.gif: :ajaxsmiley.gif: :ajaxsmiley.gif:

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo aug 20, 2008 7:27 am

Sporting Gijon are looking for a new defender and according to Spanish newspaper El Commercio Jurgen Colin is the man they have in mind...

Is this a joke...?

K.
Still alive...

SPL

Bericht door SPL » wo aug 20, 2008 12:24 pm

The only joke is that he was given a 2 year extension and we may be lumbered with him.

Rooie

Bericht door Rooie » wo aug 20, 2008 12:34 pm

It's a fixed deal, Colin to Gijon on a one-year contract.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo aug 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Benji schreef:It's a fixed deal, Colin to Gijon on a one-year contract.
That really is a miracle... Good for him; good for us. Very good news.

K.
Still alive...

Gesloten