Natalie Merchant
Air
meh :|

Kowalczyk
Moderator English Section
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » zo jun 24, 2007 11:43 am

Re-posting...
sgordo schreef:A good friend of mine here in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Ron Liberti, will be in the Netherlands in July. He's a well known local musician who's played in bands such as Pipe and Ghost of Rock but he's also well known for his gig poster art. He's made posters for bands such as the Buzzcocks, Superchunk, Polvo and many others. http://www.gigposters.com/designers.php?designer=18832
He will be working with a Dutch artist in I believe Den Haag for a few weeks in July and I thought people on this list might be interested in checking him out if he has a show. Also, why else am I posting this here? He's an Ajax fan and I went to my first Ajax match with him at De Meer back in 1991.

Here are a few links about him:
http://2007.sxsw.com/music/flatstock/ex ... d=F07-0089
http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Conten ... id%3A15527
http://www.gspotavp.com/artists/RonLiberti.html
http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv/htm/20398.html

Steve, Chapel Hill, NC
(Steve: thanks for your e-mail, btw! I will reply to it today or tomorrow!)

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do jun 28, 2007 11:18 am

I've listened to the new Ryan Adams album a few times now and yes, indeed, this is the album I've been waiting for. An excellent collection of songs, perhaps his best yet, and much more consistent than his previous records. Most importantly: he's made a huge leap forward as a vocalist.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Ryan Adams. I totally acknowledge his talent, and that is precisely why he can sometimes annoy me so much: you can feel that there's a masterpiece inside this guy, but sometimes it seemed as if he refused to 'give birth to it'. So far he simply put out too many records, and his live shows (always too long) gave me the impression that he focuses on quantity, perhaps because he doesn't have the 'concentration span' or the courage to really go for perfection for a change -- and at least try to make his defining album.

I have a similar kind of love/hate relationship with Conor Oberst, a.k.a. Bright Eyes. Adams and Oberst have a lot in common: they're both young, 'classic' American songwriters under pressure, because press and public have made clear that they have the talent to be the Dylan/Springsteen of their generation.

They seem to react to these high expectations in similar ways: by drinking too much, behaving like annoying little brats and sabotaging their own live performances, simply refusing to be as good they can be. In both cases I am convinced that their "I don't care about perfection" pose must in fact be interpreted as "I don't have the guts to go for perfection".

So far, Oberst was ahead of Adams, for me: he's done the business more frequently on his albums, if you ask me. So far, I thought only Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker was as good as Bright Eyes' Lifted, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning or the latest installment, Casadaga.

This new album is Ryan Adams' second record in what I will call the 'A-category', which means that the half-time score is 3-2 to Bright Eyes. But Ryan Adams really seems to have worked on his attitude, so the equalizer is 'in the air'. More than anything else, I am hoping for a few truly great live concerts from these two dudes. Both of them annoyed the crap out of me a couple of times, so they have something to make up for.

Anyway: very pretty album. It really is.

K.
Still alive...

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » do jun 28, 2007 11:25 am

carcajou schreef:What your truly is enjoying these days :

The Decemberists
The Shins
Blonde Redhead
Clap your Hands Say Yeah
Wolf Parade
Ennio Morricone
Natalie Merchant
Air
We are so on the same wavelength...

You should also try the new Low album (Drums And Guns) and you'll also love two English bands, named Larrikin Love and The Bees (wonderful latest album: Octopus).

Just a few recommendations.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » do jun 28, 2007 12:58 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: This new album is Ryan Adams' second record in what I will call the 'A-category', which means that the half-time score is 3-2 to Bright Eyes. But Ryan Adams really seems to have worked on his attitude, so the equalizer is 'in the air'. More than anything else, I am hoping for a few truly great live concerts from these two dudes. Both of them annoyed the crap out of me a couple of times, so they have something to make up for.

Anyway: very pretty album. It really is.

K.
Ryan is touring here in late August. I am very much looking forward to it, now seemingly he has gone of his 8 year bender. I have seen him twice before. After Gold and about 2 years ago. Both times just as he got the crowd on his side, he would slide into his own world and lose the chance he had to make it a memorable concert. From what I have read, he is actually quite shy on stage and doesn't like the attention. But seems this is starting to turn around.

As a musician, I absolutely love the guy. I think he is THE most talented singer/songwriter of my generation, but was let down in the past for not trimming the fat so to speak in his full length releases.

Heartbreaker is to this day still my favourite CD i own. Love it. Simply stunning. Gold was excellent, then from here each CD has half totally amazing songs, that any artist would be jealous of (Strawberry Wine, Please Do Not Let Me Go, Sweet Illusions etc), but then would have songs, while OK maybe considered B-Sides.

The new album isn't anything really new, its just a completely solid CD. No duds, and truth be told, some of his best work to-date (Two, The Sun Also Sets, I Taught Myself How to Grow Old). And the good news is, Ryan seems to be settled, his interviews are actually insightful now and he seems to have his head on straight.

May this continue, because I really think his best is still to come which is saying something as some of his work to date is simply outstanding.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » vr jun 29, 2007 2:53 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
carcajou schreef:What your truly is enjoying these days :

The Decemberists
The Shins
Blonde Redhead
Clap your Hands Say Yeah
Wolf Parade
Ennio Morricone
Natalie Merchant
Air
We are so on the same wavelength...

You should also try the new Low album (Drums And Guns) and you'll also love two English bands, named Larrikin Love and The Bees (wonderful latest album: Octopus).

Just a few recommendations.

K.
OK, I will.

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » zo jul 01, 2007 2:30 pm

My friend Pete's selection's :

His favourites :
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
Blonde Redhead - 23
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Feist - The Reminder
Justice - Cross
Menomena - Friend and Foe
The Field - From Here We Go The Sublime
The National - Boxer
Wax Tailor - Hope & Sorrow
J. Tillman - Cancer and Delirium
Dinosaur Jr - Beyond

Others:
Great Lake Swimmers - Ongiara
Grinderman - s/t
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna
Jesse Sykes - Like, Love, Lust and the Open Halls of the Soul
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Living with the Living
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Patric Wolf - The Magic Position
Arbouretum - Rites of Uncovering
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
Björk - Volta
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
Common - Finding Forever

Not yet listened to:
Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Interpol - Our Love to Admire

High expectations for the future:
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass (will be release on the 28th of August)
Mùm - Go Go Smear Poison Ivy

kraz11
Contacteer:

Bericht door kraz11 » zo jul 01, 2007 6:44 pm

Gogol bordello -super taranta
they even outdone their previous album imo

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » za jul 28, 2007 12:18 pm

This is a very cool video from an Amsterdam band named zZz. The song is entitled Grip. This really shows how cool YouTube is and how cheap a great little video can be these days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfmJ6m97HqQ

Another perfect example of that is Here It Goes Again by a Swedish band named O.K. Go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI

Two of my favourite videos of the past 12 months or so, because they're so DIY. Not much money, but simply a great idea. Very creative.

K.
Still alive...

DanK

Bericht door DanK » zo aug 12, 2007 7:44 am

Kowalczyk schreef:I received two double CDs a while ago: Tales from the Australian Underground Vol. 1 (Singles 1976-1989) and Vol. 2 (Singles 1977-1990). Loads of excellent stuff on there: singles from more or less legendary bands like Radio Birdman, The Triffids, The Saints, The Riptides, Sekret Sekret, Died Pretty and of course Nick Cave's Birthday Party.

Wonderful stuff for proud Ozzies and other nutters.

K.
Just watched a doco on an Aussie station last night "Great Australian Albums" on SBS TV. And not surprisingly last nights ep was: The Triffids 'Born Sandy Devotional'. Was a great watch. David McComb was an amazing artist. Was so impressed am going out to purchase the CD ASAP.

Next week:
I'm Stranded By The Saints. Should be interesting.

I'm also about to purchase the best of The Church which has just been released.

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » zo aug 12, 2007 4:01 pm

DanK schreef:
Next week:

DanK, can you record the Saints programme please. Chris Bailey has been living in Amsterdam for years now and meet him quite often. A mate of mine , Pete, actually is the drummer for the Saints at the moment and has been off touring the globe with them, lucky guy.

BTW there was a great show on BBC4 other evening - Ryan Adams doing an accoustic gig at a church in London, was on for an hour. Absolutely brilliant.
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » ma aug 13, 2007 10:59 am

jamcocteau schreef:
DanK schreef:
Next week:

DanK, can you record the Saints programme please. Chris Bailey has been living in Amsterdam for years now and meet him quite often. A mate of mine , Pete, actually is the drummer for the Saints at the moment and has been off touring the globe with them, lucky guy.

BTW there was a great show on BBC4 other evening - Ryan Adams doing an accoustic gig at a church in London, was on for an hour. Absolutely brilliant.
Will do my best mate. I have it on my planner so provided that doesn't crap itsself (it does on a regular basis!) it shouldn't be an issue.

Here's the link for the DVD, but will give you an idea of whats on the episode:
http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDetail ... 2225059320

You wouldn't happen to have a certain Mr Adams performance by any chance ;)

Which reminds me. 1 week to go and I'm off to see him and his fantastic band The Cardinals play 10min away at one of Melbourne's best venues The Palais. To say I am looking forward to this is an understatement! :neutral.gif:

DanK

Bericht door DanK » wo aug 15, 2007 11:15 am

jamcocteau schreef:...
Wow...I just found a copy of this broadcast on the net (mp3). Stunning performance. Thanks for letting me know about this. Much appreciated.

If I get anything like this on Monday night I will be one happy man.

Just need to locate the actual video of this now...

Not sure what it is with Ryan, but he is one artist who's music I truly love. So much of his stuff just hits that spot in me like no other band/artist has yet to do (close are Radiohead and Jeff Buckley), but his lyrics display an internal pain that you really feel.

What also makes him interesting is you never know what you are going to get from one moment to the next, he can be frustrating at times, but when he gets it right no one comes close imho.

He a f*cking nutter, but a damn talented one.

DanK

Bericht door DanK » di aug 21, 2007 6:33 am

Finally saw Ryan Adams and the Cardinals play at The Palais in St Kilda Beach (just down the road from Melbourne) last night. Very solid performance. This is now the 3rd time I have seen him play over the past 5 years or so, and the first since he went off his bender. The difference in his attitude was quite clear. The concert was structured and clean, his voice was the best I have heard from him before and his band confirmed that they are probably one of the best going around at the moment.

Personal highlights for me were 'Blue Hotel' which he wrote for Willie Nelson's last album and 'The End' from 'Jacksonville...'. He also did great wonders with songs that I aren't normally overly fussed with, being; 'Easy Plateau', 'Dear John' and a powerful version of 'Peaceful Valley'.

There were a few of the usual 'Ryan Oddities' though. The stage was very darkly lit. For 95% of the night, he was just a silhouette and it wasn't until about the 6th song when the colour of the lighting changed that you could confirm that, yes in fact it was Ryan up there. He only played 2 songs of Easy Tiger (Goodnight Rose - which he opened with, and Off Broadway). From what I have been reading he has been playing mainly East Tiger tunes up to this point, so it was a bit odd. The songs were mostly focused around Jacksonville and Cold Roses with nothing from before Gold, which in itself only had 'Wild Flowers'.

For some reason the venue was absolutely freezing - even so that Ryan made numerous comments such as "My hands are so cold it feels like dead people are touching them" and "this is the first time we have played outdoors here". It was also a little short, approx around 1hour 40min or so with no encore.

So not perfect, but it was nice to see him play straight up, sounding at his best and not stopping halfway through songs, or forgetting lyrics etc. He was even quite talkative which hasn't been the case in the past.

If he keeps this up (especially with the amazingly sounding Cardinals) - I can't wait to see him again in a few years time.

3.5/5

Blind3
Contacteer:

Bericht door Blind3 » di aug 21, 2007 7:01 am

Was fortunate enough to catch the Yeah Yeah Yeah's twice in a space of two weeks; once in front of 25k at Lollapalooza and once in front of a soldout 1000 or so at the Electric Factory in Philly. Karen O ,etc.. were amazing both times. I love Fever to Tell , but their new stuff is really growing on me. Especially live. The bands energy was an 11 on a 1 to 10 scale and the music wasn't far behind. Highly recommended for a great night of music.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride".
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"Our albums are junk"
Keith Moon

ajax-erie

Bericht door ajax-erie » za sep 15, 2007 12:50 am

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND NEIL YOUNG WILL BOTH HAVE NEW CDS' OUT AND WILL ALSO BE ON TOUR, HAD A CHANCE TO HEAR 3 SONGS OFF SPRINGSTEENS CD "MAGIC" AND 1 SONG OFF NEILS CD "CHROME DREAMS II" LOOKING FORWARD TO BOTH CDS' I SAW BRUCE PLAY THE FIRST CONCERT AT PNC PARK IN THE "BURGH"02-IT ROCKED AND NEILS/CRAZY HORSE SHOWS FROM 04-ROCKED,
ONCE AJAX-ALWAYS AJAX

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » za sep 15, 2007 6:23 pm

ajax-erie schreef:BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND NEIL YOUNG WILL BOTH HAVE NEW CDS' OUT AND WILL ALSO BE ON TOUR, HAD A CHANCE TO HEAR 3 SONGS OFF SPRINGSTEENS CD "MAGIC" AND 1 SONG OFF NEILS CD "CHROME DREAMS II" LOOKING FORWARD TO BOTH CDS' I SAW BRUCE PLAY THE FIRST CONCERT AT PNC PARK IN THE "BURGH"02-IT ROCKED AND NEILS/CRAZY HORSE SHOWS FROM 04-ROCKED,
A link is worth a million words:

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/image.phpi ... 1115204527

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » di sep 18, 2007 6:56 am

Is anyone else listening to We Can Create by Maps? Really great album, I saw this lot on the Mercury Music Awards the other week (they didn't win).

Very mellow sounds here.
Forza Haarlem. HFC Gone but not forgotten!

Venzint
AT Toto winner 13/14

Bericht door Venzint » di sep 18, 2007 10:33 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:Is anyone else listening to We Can Create by Maps?
Recently discovered it after reading a review in a music magazine. There were some references made in the article to My Bloody Valentine and Spiritualized so it got my attention instantly. Very nice album indeed, reminds me a bit of early-Slowdive (especially Elouise and Liquid Sugar)

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo sep 19, 2007 11:58 am

gescom schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:Is anyone else listening to We Can Create by Maps?
Recently discovered it after reading a review in a music magazine. There were some references made in the article to My Bloody Valentine and Spiritualized so it got my attention instantly. Very nice album indeed, reminds me a bit of early-Slowdive (especially Elouise and Liquid Sugar)
OK, so Maps had one taker. I can also recommend 'MIS Mexican Institute of Sound'. If you liked Manu Chao's 'Proxima Estacion Esperanza' then you'll probably like this - similar type fusion sounds.

I also seem to be the only one on here recommending Dutch bands in any number - is anyone else listening to Shorland by Moke which I picked up in NL in the Summer.

Kowalczyk
Contacteer:

Bericht door Kowalczyk » wo sep 19, 2007 1:54 pm

SE6Ajacied schreef:I also seem to be the only one on here recommending Dutch bands in any number - is anyone else listening to Shorland by Moke which I picked up in NL in the Summer.
Yay!

Moke are cool.

The album is pretty good, but not great, in my opinion. A handful of really, really good songs (Last Chance, Here Comes The Summer and others), but not all of 'em are as cracking.

But they're a bloody fantastic live band. Very good. They were great at the Lowlands festival, better than Razorlight when they supported them at the Heineken Music Hall last Wednesday and they're at the P60 in Amstelveen next month (October 27).

By the way: the band members are all regulars at the infamous Weber pub, which some of you may know. They practically live there...

... so they're my flatmates, kind of. :smallgrin.gif:

K.
Still alive...

Marijn

Bericht door Marijn » wo sep 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Quite bizarre that we haven't seen each other even once at the Weber, Ko.

Moke are going to perform every last friday of the month at the popular Dutch televisionshow De Wereld Draait Door, thereby replacing Roel van Velzen, who made his way to fame over there.

Luckily enough, this guy is working at De Plantage, the studio where the programme is being recorded. So I'll be seeing a whole lot of Moke this year :neutral.gif:
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist."
-The Usual Suspects

SE6Ajacied

Bericht door SE6Ajacied » wo sep 19, 2007 2:29 pm

Kowalczyk schreef:
SE6Ajacied schreef:I also seem to be the only one on here recommending Dutch bands in any number - is anyone else listening to Shorland by Moke which I picked up in NL in the Summer.
Yay!

Moke are cool.

By the way: the band members are all regulars at the infamous Weber pub, which some of you may know. They practically live there...

K.
OK, perhaps I should bring the CD next time I'm over and get them to sign it :ajaxsmiley.gif: .

I'd never actually heard of them til I got the album, and it was kind of a pot-luck choice as well - I wanted a CD I couldn't get at home and chose this one, really only on the strength that Paul Weller was recommending it on the CD cover.....

carcajou

Bericht door carcajou » wo sep 19, 2007 9:29 pm

Kowalczyk schreef: By the way: the band members are all regulars at the infamous Weber pub, which some of you may know. They practically live there...

K.
Ahhhh Weber. I miss Amsterdam really....

jamcocteau

Bericht door jamcocteau » do sep 20, 2007 9:15 pm

carcajou schreef:
Kowalczyk schreef: By the way: the band members are all regulars at the infamous Weber pub, which some of you may know. They practically live there...

K.
Ahhhh Weber. I miss Amsterdam really....
Am trying to avoid the bloomin place - now full of famous rockstars and their hanger on groupies. Only joking, still a good bar but for a while you couldnt move for rockstars - Interpol, The View, Idlewild who are all good bands but sound lads and also the Rakes (shit band and total wankers to boot) to name but a few. Oh and of course the inhouse band - Moke (sound lads).

Marijn, you go there often - if you see a few Scottish lads there, usually at weekends, then that will be us and also Ko on rare occasions now , when he is out to play :biggrin.gif:
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

Plaats reactie